Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

12 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

My honest thought? The main reasons he was on the field were he was picked by Snyder and no one else really stood out. Four games is essentially a preseason. He came into the league with zero preparation for the NFL game. I think that much is obvious. The biggest problem? He was drafted way higher than he should have been. That’s on Danny Boy. All Haskins and his agent can thing is he was drafted halfway through the first round, not that he should have never been drafted there.

Never, ever, ever, ever again let Danny have a say in personnel. Ever.

You don’t need whispers to show any shortcomings in his attitude or work ethic. His body language yesterday spoke of that. It wasn’t a guy fighting to get better, it was a guy who said “Screw it, I’m taking my toys and going off in this corner.”

You sometimes need to fail in order to succeed. What he does with that is up to him. He has made too many of the same mistakes, even when stuff around him is working. Whatever is happening on-field in Sundays is probably the least of what he’s doing wrong. No one else is gonna’ tell him that other than the coaches. We don’t know what they’ve tried to drill into him the last several months. All we do know is it isn’t working. Maybe sitting and watching will help. If Allen does well, he can learn from that. If Allen stinks it up just as badly, then sometimes having a different visual perspective will help.

Heart of the matter is, you believe Ron's credibility overcomes the fact this organization always mishandles the QB position.  And by mishandle, I mean make confounding decisions that very few people could successfully develop in.  Decisions that often contradict expressed long term strategies for fielding a competitive team.  If you want to believe Ron walking through a door overrides generations of QB mismanagement because Ron's doing it, I'd like to admire the endurance of your optimism for this organization.   We've seen similar, comparable well renowned coaches lose their mind at the chance to run an NFL hermit kingdom.   

I don't buy that 4 games gave you enough info to KNOW he's NOT the answer.  And if you weren't committed to giving him a chance, you wasted 4 games of this year's schedule.  Ron HAS to have some accountability for:

His plan not working

Plan not being well thought out

Backup plan is probably crap (Allen)

Lack of a plan

Lack of commitment to a plan

Take your pick  

Just now, DJHJR86 said:

I was counting the Browns as the 1 win.

Its a fair argument to make, but on the other side of the coin the other games change as well. We may not be looking at a 17-0 hole with Smith at QB and the offense moving the ball better/more consistently to help the defense out. The situation changes so much we dont know if we would have gone 4-0 with Smith/Allen or 0-4 because the main decision maker has such an impact.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, megared said:

Heart of the matter is, you believe Ron's credibility overcomes the fact this organization always mishandles the QB position.  And by mishandle, I mean make confounding decisions that very few people could successfully develop in.  Decisions that often contradict expressed long term strategies for fielding a competitive team.  If you want to believe Ron walking through a door overrides generations of QB mismanagement because Ron's doing it, I'd like to admire the endurance of your optimism for this organization.   We've seen similar, comparable well renowned coaches lose their mind at the chance to run an NFL hermit kingdom.   

I don't buy that 4 games gave you enough info to KNOW he's NOT the answer.  And if you weren't committed to giving him a chance, you wasted 4 games of this year's schedule.  Ron HAS to have some accountability for:

His plan not working

Plan not being well thought out

Backup plan is probably crap (Allen)

Lack of a plan

Lack of commitment to a plan

Take your pick  

I don't have to pick. This team, especially under Danny Boy, has done an atrocious job at QB, whether FA or draft. Ron did inherit that stink, but whether it sticks to him is TBD. This team has a long list of failure at QB over the last 20 years. This isn't the '70's or the '80's or any time before the FA era when a QB could sit for 2-3 years and learn. If you're a 1st-round pick, you're almost expected day one to start. Haskins should have never been picked where he was. Like I said, that's on Danny.

Just to be clear, they aren't saying he isn't the answer (pardon the double-negative). They're saying dude can't hack it right now and needs to sit. Maybe it will help him, maybe not. That's entirely up to Haskins,

Edited by ntotoro
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I was counting the Browns as the 1 win.

I thought Alex was just OK when he was here, not great.  He had 2 fans on the Alex thread who hated me for in part disagreeing with them about how great they thought he was.  So i am far from in love with Alex the player.  Alex was OK IMO as a player.  And his strength IMO was leadership, managing games and not blowing games that they should win where the other unit is carrying the day.  Against the Eagles, the D line carried the team and gave short field after short field for the offense.  Dwayne managed the game but wasn't really the key reason why they won.  That game of anything waqs a quintessential type of game that Alex Smith would win.  I don't think Alex would have blown the Eagles game. 

1 minute ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Its a fair argument to make, but on the other side of the coin the other games change as well. We may not be looking at a 17-0 hole with Smith at QB and the offense moving the ball better/more consistently to help the defense out. The situation changes so much we dont know if we would have gone 4-0 with Smith/Allen or 0-4 because the main decision maker has such an impact.

The team was 1-4 with Smith in 2018 when Peterson rushed less than 90 yards.  They needed Peterson to carry the offense for the team to have been successful in 2018.

48 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'm not shocked that you'd think all of this information is false, despite the fact this stuff has been talked about with Haskins since he was drafted. I just don't get why you are so against the idea that maybe Haskins just isn't as good as we had hoped he'd be.

I wouldn't believe any of the sort of typical smears that get leaked from anonymous sources in this snake's den of a franchise about any of the players when a contentious decision is made about them.  It'll even happen to guys who were the most popular and respected players on the team.  It's how the team operates, and it's disappointing to see it still going on under the new regime.

The problem with his agent requesting a trade is that he is ranked 31 or 32 in most quarterback rankings so he has no trade value whatsoever.

He went to school with Snyder's kid.  Snyder should never have forced him to be drafted in the first round.  We could have got him in later rounds and then

it would not be viewed now as such a bust pick.  Also, we could have given him more time to grow as a second string player.  He cannot read defenses right now.

That is a real problem.  He overthrows receivers and his footwork is all over the place.  Lets see what Allen does with a bad offensive line.  If he throws well then

Haskin defenders cannot use the offensive line excuse for his bad performance.

11 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I wouldn't believe any of the sort of typical smears that get leaked from anonymous sources in this snake's den of a franchise about any of the players when a contentious decision is made about them.  It'll even happen to guys who were the most popular and respected players on the team.  It's how the team operates, and it's disappointing to see it still going on under the new regime.

But he’s done it to himself? Why is this overlooked?

I just don’t understand. If this was a 3rd or 4th rounder that did this stuff most here would be all about cutting bait.

What is it about Haskins that has people falling over themselves to defend him?

I’m having a very difficult time with the logic.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, max21 said:

I’m probably late on this but did anyone else see that tweet that said Haskins and his agent are requesting a trade? LOL 

Always a good sign when a young QB who was projected to need several years to really get ready to play, get's benched for not putting the work in, then throws his diaper across the room and demands to go home. :ols:

Oh well. I was pulling for him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Alex was far from the comeback kid as a starter but that comeback was driven by the D line and the turnovers they caused not Haskins slinging the ball around. 

Agreed. But still Alex is a good QB to have playing from ahead - but from behind, not so much.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

You mean the WFT fans, when the team is successful with a real leader at QB?

Odd thing to route against.

I want the team to be successful.  I don't want an influx of 49ers/Chiefs fans who invade social media (and this board) to talk about how wonderful Alex is and "all he does is win".  2018 was not a good season.  

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Agreed. But still Alex is a good QB to have playing from ahead - but from behind, not so much.

I agree.   Alex isn't the dude for a shoot out or a come back. 

I admit Alex intrigues me a bit more with this supporting cast than the previous one he had.  His strength IMO is ball handling-backfield stuff and that's somewhat Scott Turner's offense.  And he won't blow a game when another unit is driving it.  So if the defensive line steps up moving forward -- Alex might win some games with the current set up.  I just don't know if he's his old self after all he went through. 

21 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

I don't have to pick. This team, especially under Danny Boy, has done an atrocious job at QB, whether FA or draft. Ron did inherit that stink, but whether it sticks to him is TBD. This team has a long list of failure at QB over the last 20 years. This isn't the '70's or the '80's or any time before the FA era when a QB could sit for 2-3 years and learn. If you're a 1st-round pick, you're almost expected day one to start. Haskins should have never been picked where he was. Like I said, that's on Danny.

Just to be clear, they aren't saying he isn't the answer (pardon the double-negative). They're saying dude can't hack it right now and needs to sit. Maybe it will help him, maybe not. That's entirely up to Haskins,

So no blame on Ron for not recognizing this earlier than four games into the season?  And not implementing a better backup plan than Kyle Allen?

So we're not going to be able to evaluate Ron this year on how the roster is coming along, OR by how many games we win.  What's left?  Paper, rock, scissors?

The trade request I have zero problems with. Bridges burned here from nearly every angle. Him asking is not on my radar as an issue. I’m guessing he knows where Rivera stands and Haskins, as HE proved last year, doesn’t really have any desire to be the backup (as most NFL players feel) and, according to reports last year, didn’t really take being a backup seriously. 

I can’t imagine he’ll improve in the league behind Steven Montez on the depth chart. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• TK changed the title to FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State
  • PCS locked this topic