Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

24 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Haskins is a lingering symptom of the previous regime. Rivera and Smith should not be judged on previous franchise failures. 

Let them do that all on their own.

That's the operative point.   According to some, Kyle and Rivera were tied at the hip during the off season, talked all the time, much mutual respect, etc.  I presume that extended through the season.

According to some Kyle didn't grade Haskins as a first round talent and multiple beat guys said he wanted someone else at 15.  Even Cooley doubled down on this recently.

So if Haskins was not Kyle's guy.  And Rivera didn't draft Haskins.  Why is it the ultimate test to see how they develop him?  

It's like someone picking a stock for me (that I might have even disagreed with) and somehow its a test of my resolve about patience for my own picks?  it wouldn't be since i am not the dude who picked the stock.  Now if I picked the stock it would be.

Surely there was a discussion about Haskins during contract negotiations with RR.  Also,  given the agent's tweet, RR had to know that Haskins wasn't going to accept a demotion without a fight.

I can think of a lot of reasons that RR may have pulled the plug this week, but at the top of the list would be defensive players getting in RR's ear about losing the team completely.  Especially if Allen has been performing well on the scout team.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's the operative point.   According to some, Kyle and Rivera were tied at the hip during the off season, talked all the time, much mutual respect, etc.  I presume that extended through the season.

According to some Kyle didn't grade Haskins as a first round talent and multiple beat guys said he wanted someone else at 15.  Even Cooley doubled down on this recently.

So if Haskins was Kyle's guy.  And Rivera didn't draft Haskins.  Why is it the ultimate test to see how they develop him?  

Because some people really like Dwayne Haskins and believe the franchise dropped the ball. It’s fair to have those beliefs, for sure. But it’s not fair to pin Haskins failures on  a regime who didn’t have anything to do with it or didn’t want him to develop a guy.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I believe it was Sweat at 15 was the alternative and trading back into the 1st was some kind of compromise?

35 minutes ago, Bunny Kelly said:

Would anyone take Darnold at this stage if Jets move on or is he too much or a risk at this stage?

Honestly I’d trade each guy straight up for one another. Nothing to lose at this point. Each guy has been mismanaged by their orgs and could use a change of scenery. For this to happen, Gase would need to be fired by NYJ before the trade deadline

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

I believe it was Sweat at 15 was the alternative and trading back into the 1st was some kind of compromise?

Pretty much.  The trade back was to appease the scouting staff (and thank god, cause Sweat is a talent).  I think SIP said Cooley said the targets (if no Haskins at 15) were Sweat and Savage.  Kyle Smith also liked Jonathan Abram (who is a good safety as well).

I don't think Haskins was the guy, but I also don't see why they shouldn't have given him more games...just to make sure.  IMO, if you're going to draft a guy that high, you need to give him more time to develop, especially since he was advertised as a guy who was going to need some time to grow.  He also needs someone else other than TMC to throw to and a better o-line.  Not trying to make excuses for the guy, but let's be real here...the surrounding cast isn't ideal for a guy who already needs all the help he can get.

That said, when you miss a RB in the flat by a mile, I don't think there's much that can help you.

I just want a QB who is accurate and not enamored with social media, FFS.

2 minutes ago, method man said:

Honestly I’d trade each guy straight up for one another. Nothing to lose at this point. Each guy has been mismanaged by their orgs and could use a change of scenery. For this to happen, Gase would need to be fired by NYJ before the trade deadline

Trading one problem for another doesn't make sense.  I don't think Darnold would come here and thrive because...well, why should he?

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

Cooley actually thought Savage may have been higher than Sweat. Ultimately, we lost out on 2 2nd round picks, one of who could have been one of these rookie studs (ex Jaylon Johnson and Antoine Winfield)

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

Cooley mentioned Sweat, and possible 2 safeties, Abrams among them.   But it wasn't just him.  Multiple reporters said they heard Kyle didn't want to take Haskins at 15 and one said he didn't even grade him as a first rounder.

Russell doubled down on Kyle Smith's angle on this recently on his show.    

The one common thread about who wanted Haskins was Dan, Dan, Dan.  And to give Dan some credit i gather he's ok with this move since its happening.  Cerrato said recently on 106.7, he think he will treat Rivera with higher esteem than some of his predecessors because of what kind of dude Rivera is -- so will see. 

2 minutes ago, method man said:

I'd take Darnold in a second over Haskins.  He's got wheels and won't miss screens and outs by a country mile.  If he's available in the off-season, I think the ultimate compensation is a 3rd (if the Jets take Lawrence).

The Haskins defenders have played it beautifully. Blame everyone but the player. When he fails to make it on another team, which is almost a certainty, well it was the WFT's fault for their failure to develop the player.  It's always someone else's fault, kind of like the people who support another Washington DC resident.  

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't think Haskins was the guy, but I also don't see why they shouldn't have given him more games...just to make sure.  IMO, if you're going to draft a guy that high, you need to give him more time to develop, especially since he was advertised as a guy who was going to need some time to grow.  He also needs someone else other than TMC to throw to and a better o-line.  Not trying to make excuses for the guy, but let's be real here...the surrounding cast isn't ideal for a guy who already needs all the help he can get.

That said, when you miss a RB in the flat by a mile, I don't think there's much that can help you.

I just want a QB who is accurate and not enamored with social media, FFS.

Trading one problem for another doesn't make sense.  I don't think Darnold would come here and thrive because...well, why should he?

Because the Jets are even more dysfunctional than us & we dont have Adam Gase?

Just now, Bunny Kelly said:

Because the Jets are even more dysfunctional than us & we dont have Adam Gase?

We're still dysfunctional.  Ron's got a lot of cleaning to do and cancer to fight, it's not easy.

Ron should be able to pick his guy in the draft next year, plain and simple.  I mean, if Ron wanted Darnold, I'd be fine with it but not thrilled.  But I'd be cautious about trading for a guy like that and sending him out in the very environment that Haskins failed in.

3 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I'd take Darnold in a second over Haskins.  He's got wheels and won't miss screens and outs by a country mile.  If he's available in the off-season, I think the ultimate compensation is a 3rd (if the Jets take Lawrence).

Not me. Teams always try this, how often does a bad QB become  good one on another team?  Maybe Tennehill, but he is gifted with the best running game and a top OL.  For every Tannehill there are a hundred Heath Shulers who was also given a second chance based on nothing more than draft position. 

Missing wide open RB's 5 yards in front of him and sailing uncatchable deep shots just made watching him dreadful.  That said, I expected a longer leash than this.  The way I saw it was if he really stinks it up we will both be drafting high and feel secure in knowing he doesn't have it.

What doesn't add up for me is that he was named Captain and a mere 4 games into the season, he's not dressing.  Makes me wonder what we don't know about what's been going on at Redskins Park, because this feels like more than just him not playing well.

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Because some people really like Dwayne Haskins and believe the franchise dropped the ball. It’s fair to have those beliefs, for sure. But it’s not fair to trust a regime who didn’t have anything to do with it or didn’t want him to develop a guy.

Yeah i get that.  Though if we are going to get into a discussion about the process.  The process actually is much more normal today then what brought Haskins here in the first place.

The Haskins pick was a circus. With stories about who wanted him and who didn't.    With just about everyone saying it was Dan overriding his football people not just the HC but the FO, too.   Some said Bruce was with him and i suspect based on some quotes later on Doug might have been, too.  But otherwise I've heard multiple times Kyle wasn't on board with the pick and ditto multiple scouts in that building.  If so, that obviously starts the whole marriage with tension.    And if Bruce and Doug were Dan's allies on this, they are no longer in that building as part of the decision process. 

Here we got the HC, and I'd bet he consulted with Kyle, Turner, Zampese to make a decision.  Now we could agree or disagree with the call.  But there is nothing IMO screwed up with this part of the process.  The process that was screwed up IMO was that this was an arranged marriage.  And that's not how it should work with the owner driving it.  The fact that the owner is apparently allowing Rivera to do this is actually somewhat healthy as to purely the process.

Archived