Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 minute ago, volsmet said:

From the box score, the start looked tremendous obviously, but it appears only one more decent drive would follow. 

😑

Oh, Chase Young is hurt. Not sure severity. 

Left the game and was immediately ruled out.

Oh. And Matt Ioan, too. Same thing. 

48 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Yep, best solution to the long-term lifeline of the team is to let Haskins ride out the entire season. If he's the guy, he's had 24 games to prove it. That's plenty of time in this day and age in the NFL, if he's awful we can at least draft his replacement and have a hand-picked QB by this staff. 

No way I can put up with 24 games with Haskins.  Teams will make adjustments and study film, it’s going to get worse. 

48 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Roughly 15 humans on earth are good QBs in the NFL at this point. Not a shock he isn’t one. Most difficult position in all of sports. Time to move past the sunk cost. Pretend Terry was the pick and look forward. 

we probably have two on the roster that are better than haskins

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

We've almost completed the first quarter of the season and I'm trying to be realistic about Dwayne but I don't see any progression over the last 3 weeks, if anything I see regression.

That's sort of the thesis from PFF and that was even before today.  Personally I think its premature.  But PFF's two main points about Haskins of late which they have in two different articles are:

A. Accuracy typically isn't easy to fix

B. He struggles beyond the short passes

I am not throwing in the towel on Haskins.  I think he deserves the full season.  But I agree with PFF and Cooley among others that Haskins really struggles going down the field with rare exception.  A lot of our bigger plays have been YAC plays or at least so it seems to me.

https://www.pff.com/news/second-year-breakout-watch-5-players-who-look-set-for-a-breakout-year-5-players-who-have-taken-a-step-back

QB Dwayne Haskins, Washington Football Team

Instead of taking a step forward from the 67.0 passing grade he earned as a rookie, Haskins has taken a step back. Through two weeks, the Washington signal-caller has earned the second-lowest passing grade in the NFL, at 47.8. And while he's taken great care of the ball once again — his 1.9% turnover-worthy play rate ranked fourth in the NFL last year, while his mark of 1.3% ranks sixth in 2020 — the accuracy has been really concerning.

Haskins has thrown just four accurate passes beyond 10 yards downfield this year, while he already has 10 completely uncatchable throws at the same depth. This was an issue last season, too, as he had the fifth-worst accuracy rate on such throws.

Haskins currently ranks second-to-last in negatively graded throw rate and last in positively graded throw rate. And while he has had to throw into a tight window at a high rate, he's still not even hitting open receivers downfield. So far, Haskins has thrown just three accurate 10-plus-yard passes to receivers with a step of separation — he's attempted 12 such passes.

I would begin taking a peek at the 2021 quarterback class if I were Washington.

I was (as seen by previous posts) much in the camp of “give him time.” He can show growth if given the opportunity to learn.

After today, we can throw the idea of “growth” out the window. He missed high. He missed low. He was behind his WRs. Even simple flare passes out of the backfield were high and inaccurate. And his lack of pocket awareness is a huge negative.

Maybe he can recover, but my confidence is pretty much nil now. Only thing he has going for him is we need to still let him play out the year. No real other options for a rebuilding team. 

One or two more games like that and we’re onto a new QB in 2021

53 minutes ago, volsmet said:

From the box score, the start looked tremendous obviously, but it appears only one more decent drive would follow. 

😑

He was pressing pretty hard today.  He'd been more patient in the first two games but today he forced the ball into middle zones without going through his progressions or reading the linebackers post snap at all.  In one of the replays of his INT, they had a surprisingly clear view of his eyes and they dropped to look at the pressure on his left and he threw the ball into the middle zone immediately after.  It was a gift to the linebacker, who he never identified.

He made a lot of mistakes, but he battled until the fourth, and they actually did get themselves back into the game.  But the reason this performance was troubling was that it feels like Dwayne lost confidence in the system and the process.  These forced throws are the product of losing your patience, and feeling the rush.

It was also a frustrating step back for the OL after a pretty decent week 2.  Geron got roughed up by Myles Garrett and one of the reps he lost ended in disaster.  Dwayne got strip sacked and of course the fumble bounced straight up into Garrett's hands, and that basically ended the game.

There were some positive flashes on offense, so its not as dire as people are making out.  These guys don't know how to play yet, and they cut their own throats with mistakes, but the play calling was better.  I thought some of the WRs and RBs made plays which were badly needed confidence boosters.  Logan Thomas was drowning and he made some big plays. So did Gandy Golden and Wright and Inman.  The running game started to find a rhythm in the second half too.  This was a winnable game if we hadn't turned it over constantly, and if the defense hadn't made a few critical mistakes.

I don’t blame people for wanting DH’s head. Today was his best day of the year AND his worst day of the year by far. He’s not playing with confidence even when he’s playing well. He’s still totally unsure of what he is seeing.

It’s a tough spot he’s in but bottom line he’s gotta be better for us to have any shot. 

1 minute ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

Fair enough, I didn’t realize he started more games last year. 

7 starts last season + 16 (if he’s not benched at all) this season, so yeah 23. 

16 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Before, I believe. 

Pretty sure he signed his contract after Foles won the super bowl. June of 2019. 

Way before the "You Like That!!" game, Our own KC started, threw turnovers, got benched, started again, got benched. and started again before settling down into becoming a semi-reliable starter. We weren't worthy of talking trash after beating Philly, nor are we the worst team ever after two losses.

2 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Way before the "You Like That!!" game, Our own KC started, threw turnovers, got benched, started again, got benched. and started again before settling down into becoming a semi-reliable starter. We weren't worthy of talking trash after beating Philly, nor are we the worst team ever after two losses.

Cousins was never this inaccurate or mechanically shaky.

Archived