Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

12 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Nice progression and throw followed by an awful decision to try and force the screen. The throw after the screen was poor as well, he has a problem dropping his elbow and the ball gets away from him.

Yeah that was a broken-ass play.  Looked like he panicked after it didn't come together and went into **** it, throw it mode.

We came out, got an early score, and then just got completely off schedule on almost everything in that second quarter.  And he started pressing.

My fear is that Dwayne is going to get a go-it-alone complex where he feels like he has to make everything happen in order for the offense to move the ball.  You're never going to quarterback well after losing your patience.  If not that, my fear is that we're going to see more and more mistakes like that last INT where he's rattled by the rush.

Dwayne is a cerebral player and there is bad that comes with that along with the good.  I think it leads to him getting frustrated and forcing things.

Young QB, gifted with plenty left to work on, displays some struggle and follows it with a great pass. 

On the first pass DH gets where he needs to be mentally, but he doesn’t follow through & the ball gets away. That miss is the play just after a fumbled exchange on a handoff ... rather than get down or lose any composure, DH breaks down the defense & picks them apart for a TD. 

Thus far I’m moving the opposite direction of the board. I see him making effort in getting the elbow up, then I see it drop... but I think the habit will get out of his system ... he’s processing things *much more confidently. The defense gets him a few times and he forces a few things, but he looks like he’s going through his progressions on time & keeping his feet in synch much better than he used to. He’s also putting the swing passes in a better spot with great velocity; I like the play calling & growth from DH so far.

*First video is the TD, next is the lack of follow through leading to a drifting miss.  

The last int is ugly, and he had another couple passes with the abbreviated follow through, but I think we showed improvement on offense as a group. 

Haskins got fooled a couple times and was impatient a couple times — what I like about him is he’s getting to throws Kirk never did. He has to play to improve, the outcomes will condense if he keeps putting the time in. 

My favorite part of this type of logic is that it basically admits that Kyle Allen is probably better but they have to play Haskins solely off draft status 

13 minutes ago, volsmet said:

The last int is ugly, and he had another couple passes with the abbreviated follow through, but I think we showed improvement on offense as a group. 

Haskins got fooled a couple times and was impatient a couple times — what I like about him is he’s getting to throws Kirk never did. He has to play to improve, the outcomes will condense if he keeps putting the time in. 

lol. 

To even mention Kirk and Dwayne in the same sentence is ****ing bonkers for so many reasons. 

2 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

My favorite part of this type of logic is that it basically admits that Kyle Allen is probably better but they have to play Haskins solely off draft status 

Michael Phillips can’t admit to something he doesn’t know. 

58 minutes ago, skinbuck said:

I’m a huge Haskins honk, but the turdish tendencies that seem to come back in the face of adversity bother me. Talking in the presser about the good things he did or the support he got from the team are both childish and defensive. So is the Instagram post. He just seems super-sensitive to criticism, which is not a great trait..

I hope it’s just a Rodgers-style chip on the shoulder thing that can be overlooked in the long run

I'll be honest, I wasn't a fan of the pick because it had Snyder written all over it but "league done messed up" was where I began to think that DH's arrogance would be a problem. I'll gladly admit if I turn out to be wrong but he seems to possess a lot of the annoying traits a previous QB here had without even a season of highlight performances to go along with it.

53 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Thus far I’m moving the opposite direction of the board. I see him making effort in getting the elbow up, then I see it drop... but I think the habit will get out of his system ... he’s processing things well much more confidently. The d gets him a few times and he forces a few things, but he looks like he’s going through his progressions on time & keeping his feet in synch much better than he used to. He’s also putting the swing passes in a better spot with great velocity, I like the play calling & growth from DH so far.

I like your optimism.   I'm with you, and I think there were some moments that demonstrated growth from other guys in the offense today.  At one point I thought to myself, damn Gibson doesn't really know how to play his position yet.  Them he kind of got into a rhythm and it made me feel much better.  Isaiah Wright gave us some moments that made me want to see more of him.  I think that dude belongs in the NFL.  That fourth down conversion by Logan Thomas was big for him.  I was actually feeling pretty bad for him because it was like nothing could go right for him the first 10 quarters of the season.  And I loved seeing him lay out for that catch, felt like he'd been scared to go after plays off his frame prior to that.  Gandy-Golden also had a nice little run and he got his "welcome to the NFL" baptismal hit and sprung up and congratulated the guy like a seasoned vet.  That was nice to see. Inman barking and flexing on those TD catches was also surprising, those were nice plays that he made.

We're so out of sync and such a long way from being a good offense, that these kinds of individual victories take on more meaning as confidence boosters for the guys.  They're going to keep playing a lot of bad football for a while, but hopefully they'll keep grinding and improving as they get more experience and time together.  We're not going to be as good as I hoped this year, but I want us to find some keepers and build a foundation for next season.

Haven't seen those specific problems out of Haskins in a while. Watching the tape will cause him to double down and recommit those mistakes out of his system. He was doing a good job of it before so if he can take the good from this game, and combine it with the good things he did in the previous weeks, he'd be on the right track.

even with a bad oline, gotta find some way to throw the ball more than ten yards sometimes tho. His avg pass distance is sneaking closer and closer to cap checkdown territory. Keeping the D more honest will go a long way.

6 hours ago, dyst said:

What WOW moments? There has been nothing in any of his 10 games that made me say wow or take notice. 

the bar has been set really low. There's that one pass from last year that everyone wants to bank on. But it's quite literally, one pass. 

it's a testament to us as fans though. We're trying to look for reasons to be patient. To try to do it the right way, not rush. But the dude doesn't pass the eye test. He's a worse Jason Campbell. 

4 hours ago, volsmet said:

Young QB, gifted with plenty left to work on, displays some struggle and follows it with a great pass. 

On the first pass DH gets where he needs to be mentally, but he doesn’t follow through & the ball gets away. That miss is the play just after a fumbled exchange on a handoff ... rather than get down or lose any composure, DH breaks down the defense & picks them apart for a TD. 

Thus far I’m moving the opposite direction of the board. I see him making effort in getting the elbow up, then I see it drop... but I think the habit will get out of his system ... he’s processing things *much more confidently. The defense gets him a few times and he forces a few things, but he looks like he’s going through his progressions on time & keeping his feet in synch much better than he used to. He’s also putting the swing passes in a better spot with great velocity; I like the play calling & growth from DH so far.

*First video is the TD, next is the lack of follow through leading to a drifting miss.

It's amazing that some people claimed Haskins was staring down Inman on that TD throw when he obviously started on the other side of the field with his reads. That was a great rep.

1 hour ago, benskins26 said:

the bar has been set really low. There's that one pass from last year that everyone wants to bank on. But it's quite literally, one pass. 

it's a testament to us as fans though. We're trying to look for reasons to be patient. To try to do it the right way, not rush. But the dude doesn't pass the eye test. He's a worse Jason Campbell. 

This is the way I see it.  Haskins does not look like an NFL QB in just about every way imaginable. It's still amazing to me that a QB can get to this level by throwing off the back foot and flicking the ball out with all arm.  He did it constantly yesterday, a clear sign that instead of progressing he is regressing, and it's a big reason for his inaccuracy.  Then we have his reaction, he does seem to have a bit of RGIII in him in his defensiveness and inability to acknowledge his obvious short comings.  

Personally I've seen enough. I can't blame fans for being hopeful, it's all we've got. But the term "sunk cost" posted days ago here seems to apply. 

I'm not sure what it is about quarterbacks that makes people want to give up on them so quickly.

You wouldn't give up on a baseball prospect if he hit .225 in his first 250 at bats in the majors.

You wouldn't give up on a basketball prospect if they averaged 10 ppg in the first half of their first season.

I certainly see why people are down on Haskins but at the same time...it's like people expect a QB to step in right away and play like Peyton Manning.  It doesn't always happen like that.   

I want to see Haskins begin to take some accountability and not pass off his mistakes as someone else’s. I still disagree with Steve, I think all three interceptions were from staring down his receiver (Steve has the arrow pointing to the flat in his still, but in the video it looks like his head is in the same place when he throws to Inman). Who knows. So let’s chalk that one up to us not having the info.

The other two were stare down throws. 

He was trying to make a play, but the one on the post to Thomas was into quadruple coverage. 

Having said all that, I’m not sure what benching him does. This game is a learning experience game for him. When you’re ultra conservative as a quarterback all the time, you keep possession but you don’t get a lot of great learning opportunities. Forcing bad passes, eyes on the rush, staring down receivers are all important lessons for a young quarterback to learn... and you don’t learn them unless you do them, acknowledge you did them, and move forward. 

These are the games that are most important to a player’s development. 

Especially coming up to the Baltimore game. It will be a good barometer of his progress. Baltimore will know that mild rushes have him rushing throws and they will be ready to undercut anything he eyeballs for too long. 

We won’t be able to really see how he’s making strides until we see how he plays in the Baltimore game. 

And we can’t expect him to be perfect. He’s going to make mistakes in that game. I just want to see him build on his lessons from this one. 

This team will either start clicking with Haskins or move on from Haskins. And they have to give him the opportunity.

23 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm not sure what it is about quarterbacks that makes people want to give up on them so quickly.

You wouldn't give up on a baseball prospect if he hit .225 in his first 250 at bats in the majors.

You wouldn't give up on a basketball prospect if they averaged 10 ppg in the first half of their first season.

I certainly see why people are down on Haskins but at the same time...it's like people expect a QB to step in right away and play like Peyton Manning.  It doesn't always happen like that.   

Honest question: What has Dwayne Haskins done to show that he will ever be a good starting NFL QB?  This isn't the days when Peyton was a rookie, and even then we didn't see Manning with this many mechanical issues with his delivery. We didn't see Peyton missing throws at this alarming rate, we didn't see this sort of horrible pocket presence with any young QB not named RGIII that I can recall.

Haskins seems to have gotten very fortunate in that he appears in a great situation with Rivera. Seems he is going to get what others sometimes don’t, he’s going to get time by the looks of it. 

The direction of travel for next season at QB will be evident soon, by weeks 10-12 is my guess. There’ll be enough to go at then in terms of his play and leadership, good, bad or generally indifferent.

38 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

There are only 16 games a season in football though. There's a lot less time to dick around.

10 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Honest question: What has Dwayne Haskins done to show that he will ever be a good starting NFL QB?  This isn't the days when Peyton was a rookie, and even then we didn't see Manning with this many mechanical issues with his delivery. We didn't see Peyton missing throws at this alarming rate, we didn't see this sort of horrible pocket presence with any young QB not named RGIII that I can recall.

I mean, if you're not going to be objective after *checks notes* 12 career games, some of which he didn't even start...well, I don't think there's much I can do to change your mind.  But he looked great to close out last year and before yesterday, 4 straight games, no picks.  I'm not saying he's fantastic, but you didn't try to tackle my main point:  You wouldn't give up on a baseball or basketball prospect this soon, why is quarterback so different?  Could anyone imagine  the Anaheim Angels giving up on Mike Trout after his first 40 games where he hit .220 in 123 at bats?  

8 minutes ago, Captain James said:

There are only 16 games a season in football though. There's a lot less time to dick around.

Sorta, but it's relative.  Per the Trout example above, that's roughly 1/4 of a baseball season.  Would anyone have given up on him after 1/4 of a season?  Why should we give up on Haskins this early?  He's had only 10 starts in his career, not all of them terrible.

I'm perfectly fine to let him start the rest of the season to see if he can make improvements and get better.  I don't see the harm in that.  I certainly don't understand why you'd want to sit him in favor of Kyle Allen, that makes no sense.  It's not as if there's a way better option on the bench right now.  And if people want Alex Smith, let's not forget how the team was 6-2 when he went down and people were crying about his lack of passing stats.

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I mean, if you're not going to be objective after *checks notes* 12 career games, some of which he didn't even start...well, I don't think there's much I can do to change your mind.  But he looked great to close out last year and before yesterday, 4 straight games, no picks.  I'm not saying he's fantastic, but you didn't try to tackle my main point:  You wouldn't give up on a baseball or basketball prospect this soon, why is quarterback so different?  Could anyone imagine  the Anaheim Angels giving up on Mike Trout after his first 40 games where he hit .220 in 123 at bats?  

I think you have to acknowledge the sports and positions as different, though. In baseball, if a top prospect is developing, the spend time in the minors. In football, they don’t have that luxury. 

A quarterback is also much different than an outfielder.

Having said that, there isn’t really a great option for the team. Sure, Allen may be better. Maybe not. But you don’t give the young, raw QB prospect a chance if you pull him. And with Haskins, once you pull him I think you lose him. So you can’t pull him without completely ending his ability to develop in Washington. 

There’s no harm in giving the guy more time. If he falls apart, he will eventually get pulled. But this is all part of the development process. 

10 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

If the baseball prospect had a giant hole in his swing and has shown other flaws basic to the skill of hitting a baseball yes I would be quick to turn the page. That simply was not the case with Mike Trout. 

As I said I don't blame fans for being hopeful, it's all we have as Redskins fans. But surely even you can see the pattern here.  Just so many red flags around this guy, instead of seeing any form of progress he has regressed big time. It's really hard to see any way a guy who can't hit what he is throwing at and has absolutely no feel for the game ever being a good NFL QB.  You put that with the high bust rate of mid-first round QBs, the fact that he was a Snyder pick (which can't be emphasized enough as he overruled those who actually know what they are doing) and so many other issues we are seeing out of Dwayne and it's completely rational to believe he will never be the guy.  

Archived