Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

Its too bad Callahan doesn't want to play him.  Its also too bad that Haskins looks about as interested in learning as Callahan is in playing him. Hold a surface once in a while?

I

I was on the Kevin Sheehan just play him who cares but I am beginning to see what Callahan is worried about. They may well be worried the kid is going to throw 6 or 7 picks if left in the game. Combine that with him caring less on the side line and him calling motion on a simple running plays that isnt there after 10 months with the team. There is something seriously wrong with this guy.

2 hours ago, tacosman said:

I've thought a lot more about this over the last day, and made a list of all the teams and who I would trade haskins for at qb right now.  That considers everything- current talent, future, age, cap hit, ceiling/floor, how many years left, etc.....

and I didn't think this would be the case, but to be honest there weren't a heck of a lot of teams top qbs I would trade haskins for when considering everything.

Giants- No, DJ looks terrible to me now and has a lower floor.  Haskins was much better last year than Jones at Duke, even taking teammate talent out of equation.

Philly- tossup.  Not completely sold on Wentz like some are and he has huge cap number going forward. 

Dallas- No, don't like Dak and he is about to get paid

Atlanta- No.  Ryan aging, doesn't have but a few prime years left, and top 5 cap number

New Orleans- No.  their starter is 40

Carolina- No. Allen is like a 6th round pick and that's fools gold now so no.  And Cam(if we pick him) can't stay on the field.

Tampa- No. Jameis Winston nuff said.  On or off the field

Chicago- No.  Trubisky honestly looks almost as bad as Haskins now...and he is in year 3

Minnesota- No, been there done that.  Haskins has higher ceiling and doesn't cost almost 30 mill a year now

Green Bay- toss up.  Yeah Rodgers a lot better now.  He's also 35.  Again, I am saying Rodgers is significantly better now that's why I said toss up.  If he were 32 I would give him edge

Detroit- No.  Stafford has top 5 cap number and has been mediocre for a career.  Volume stats.

San Fran- No.  Is anyone really buying JimmyG, especially at that cap number?

Seattle- Yes.  Wilson is better, a lot better now, and still 30 so some good years left

LA Rams- No.  This is debatable I guess, but I don't believe in Goff at all.

Arizona- tossup.  Lots of questions for Murray just as there are for Haskins

New England- No.  Better than Haskins right now?  Sure...he's also 42

NY jets- tossup.  Lots of questions with Darnold...see the NE game?

Buffalo- No.  Josh Allen not a capable passer and can't be,  Haskins *might* be able to be one

Miami- No.  Rosen was Haskins last year and it's year 2.  If haskins doesn't improve over the next 16 games then would be tossup

Baltimore- Yes.  I have questions about Lamar's passing but would still trade

Pittsburgh- No.  Ben ancient and fading and hurt

Cleveland- Yes, but still some questions there even

Cincinatti- No.  Dalton is mediocre at best, we've seen the best of him, and big cap hit

LA chargers- No.  Rivers ancient(and fading)

Kansas City- yes

Denver- No.  Flacco aging and playing poorly, getting worse

Oakland- No.  Carr pricey, overrated and not getting better

Indianapolis- No since Luck retired

Tennessee- No to both Tannehill and Mariota

Houston- yes

Jacksonville- No.  Minshew fools gold and was a 6th round pick.  to the extent he has flashed a little the limitations are there and he will not keep it going

So out of all the other teams, I believe we have a better dude going forward(again considering everything) than  the great majority of teams.  There are 4-5 that I would take in place of DH with a few toss ups

Wow, now this is what I call " putting the Home in Homer ".

Its ok, Mr. Haskins, your son might get better, I mean, at least better than that 7-time Super bowl winning bum in New England, or the noodle arm Jacoby Brissett on that lowly 4-2 Colts team.

wow...

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But Hall is concerned the rookie has struggled to look prepared this deep into his time with the Redskins and added: "none of this makes sense to me." Hall mentioned the Redskins' ability in 2018 to get Josh Johnson signed and ready to start right away as evidence it can be done.

Josh Johnson, who didn't have the advantage of OTA's, training camp, and preseason looked better than Haskins.  Let that sink in.

6 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

All the coaches talk about how he wants to learn and he's trying to be a good teammate yet for some reason he's been made out as lazy, disinterested and delusional because there's an occasional shot of him on the sidelines not burying his head in a tablet every second he's not on the field. 

And we know that coaches always say what they really think to the press right?  😏 Cause that worked out so good for Jay G after he chastised RG III.  

The team is 1 and 7 and the new Head coach still insists that Haskins should not be QB1.  It doesn't take a genius to read between the lines and see that Haskins is a long, long way from being ready to play in an NFL game.  To contrast, look at Kyle Allen in Carolina, Minshew in Jax, and the duck caller in Pittsburgh.  All three looked way better than a kid picked in the first round with the 15th pick.  That's damning no matter how you spin it.  

On 10/24/2019 at 11:22 PM, SoCalSkins said:

Haskins is pure trash. 4 picks in 3 quarters of play. Stick a fork in him. He’s done...

Man I'm sure it's a joy watching games with you. #1 Redskins fan

26 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Josh Johnson, who didn't have the advantage of OTA's, training camp, and preseason looked better than Haskins.  Let that sink in.

Josh Johnson had also been on and around NFL football teams for 10 years. Let that sink in. 

34 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

And we know that coaches always say what they really think to the press right?  😏 Cause that worked out so good for Jay G after he chastised RG III.  

The team is 1 and 7 and the new Head coach still insists that Haskins should not be QB1.  It doesn't take a genius to read between the lines and see that Haskins is a long, long way from being ready to play in an NFL game.  To contrast, look at Kyle Allen in Carolina, Minshew in Jax, and the duck caller in Pittsburgh.  All three looked way better than a kid picked in the first round with the 15th pick.  That's damning no matter how you spin it.  

Not just coaches, other players, reputable journalists. The only ones really putting a different spin are, for the most part, us fans. 

And yeah, no one is saying he's ready for the NFL. There's a difference between saying he's not ready and he'll never be, which is basically the very definition of what a bust is. Let's revisit this conversation in 10 years and see who ends up having the best career out of the 4. 

I guess it's just easier for some to feed into the narrative that everything to do with the Redskins is going to end up disastrously. I supposed that's easier than hope. 

2 hours ago, ThomasRoane said:

1. Josh Johnson had been an NFL player forever. Not a good one, but a guy who knew how to prepare and last in the league. 

2. It's easier to "fake it" with a guy who can run, it opens up all sorts of backyard football stuff that Haskins can't do. It's long been my belief that every team with a franchise QB should have an athletic running QB backup to go along with their clipboard-holding brainy vet backup. Because you can plug a running QB into a game or two here and there and really mess up defenses, it's just not usually a long-term strategy for success. Oh, and I'll remind you that Josh Johnson wasn't good for us. 

6 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

1. Josh Johnson had been an NFL player forever. Not a good one, but a guy who knew how to prepare and last in the league. 

2. It's easier to "fake it" with a guy who can run, it opens up all sorts of backyard football stuff that Haskins can't do. It's long been my belief that every team with a franchise QB should have an athletic running QB backup to go along with their clipboard-holding brainy vet backup. Because you can plug a running QB into a game or two here and there and really mess up defenses, it's just not usually a long-term strategy for success. Oh, and I'll remind you that Josh Johnson wasn't good for us. 

You're making my point.  A running QB who bounced around as a back up looked better than the 15th player selected in the 1st FREAKIN ROUND!!

Are you seriously going to be an apologist for a first round draft pick?  If DH was a 6th round pick (or 4th like Cousins) forced into action then I could relate to your position.  Who, but the Dan Snyder Redskins, would draft a raw project in the top half of the NFL draft?  Would Andy Reid?  Payton? Kyle? But hey, I know where you're coming from.  We're all beat down by so many years of mediocrity that we have this battered victim's mentality.    "The Redskins really do love us.  They don't mean to be so incompetent."  

We as fans need to stop comparing this team (and players like Haskins who is a man now working in a job where he gets paid a lot more than any of us) to the dumpster fires we've witnessed lately.  We don't do the franchise any favors until we start comparing them to the Patriots or the Joe Gibbs 1.0 Redskins.  This isn't little league where everyone gets some playing time.  This is the NFL which can also mean Not For Long if you don't get the job done; at least for winning teams.  

Everyone is talking about how bad DH has been, but we talking about 4-5 total quarters of play and 22 total passes.  Hell I could combine parts of two games, 4 qutrs, and 22 passes of tom brady film this year(say the 2nd and 3rd quarters of the bills game and a good chunk of giants game) and you would see worse film than there is on Haskins now for the same segmented time.  Does that mean Brady sucks? 

If haskins consistently looks like this for 70 quarters for us, then yeah, I'll be worried he may not pan out.  But right now?  Heck no....

DH may not play much this year.  And that's ok.  Because he is definitely the qb of the future and it's just a matter of when not if. I'm ok waiting.  But when he does eventually take the helm, I want to give him time and be patient.  Lots and lots of time.  I just don't see what the rush is....

I think it’s important, given what we’ve seen anyways, that we separate Dwayne Haskins as the prospect from his draft position. 

Haskins is Haskins. Like him or not. But the guy is so raw that it was hard to see coming without being involved in the interviews. If Haskins was even a 3rd rounder or 4th rounder I’d say a good portion of the collective would give him the benefit of the doubt for his performances.

I think a lot of the actual criticism of HASKINS is valid. But I think a lot of the problem with this situation comes with his draft position. So some of the people screaming “BUST!” are looking at it moreso from a draft position versus where people believe a prospect should be given his draft  position. 

It’s hard to argue that. It may help to shift our thoughts from his actual draft position to, say, a 4th rounder. 

But IF he was taken in the 4th I think more people would be on board with the idea of looking QB in the 2020 draft. 

It’s really an interesting social experiment. 

1 minute ago, tacosman said:

Everyone is talking about how bad DH has been, but we talking about 4-5 total quarters of play and 22 total passes.  Hell I could combine parts of two games, 4 qutrs, and 22 passes of tom brady film this year(say the 2nd and 3rd quarters of the bills game and a good chunk of giants game) and you would see worse film than there is on Haskins now for the same segmented time.  Does that mean Brady sucks? 

If haskins consistently looks like this for 70 quarters for us, then yeah, I'll be worried he may not pan out.  But right now?  Heck no....

DH may not play much this year.  And that's ok.  Because he is definitely the qb of the future and it's just a matter of when not if. I'm ok waiting.  But when he does eventually take the helm, I want to give him time and be patient.  Lots and lots of time.  I just don't see what the rush is....

Definitely the QB of the future based on what?

If we saw even a modicum of improvement I’d be much more on board with “could be the QB of the future”. But he looks exactly the same as he did in college right now. Does that damn him? No. But it sure as **** isn’t something that makes me look at him and say, “DEFINITELY THE QB OF THE FUTURE” without making myself feel like I’m losing my mind. 

Treat him like a 4th rounder. Could pan out. Might not. 

Let’s see what happens.

6 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Deangelo Hall says Haskins is so horrible in practice with the first team that the defense has to intentionally not intercept him so the offense can get some work in. 

Complete bust. Sunk cost. Time to move on...

Now this concerns me.....I am trying to find a way to prop him up....cant justify it with statements like this from current and former teammates. 

The “so what” is it’s the opposite of his job. He literally gets paid not to throw interceptions and to advance the ball. But rule 1 is don’t turn it over. So if the defense has to not play to stroke his ego, he’s far more pathetic than can even be imagined...

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

The “so what” is it’s the opposite of his job. He literally gets paid not to throw interceptions and to advance the ball. But rule 1 is don’t turn it over. So if the defense has to not play to stroke his ego, he’s far more pathetic than can even be imagined...

Obviously by the so what I don’t mean interceptions are good. I mean that let the dude play through the ups and downs. It’s a lost season so what do we have to lose?

I wrote a longish report from my point of view about Haskins on the draft thread a week or so before the draft and my take wasn’t that flattering.

Still, in my view the dude deserves a real chance to sink or swim. He hasn’t even played the equivalent of one full game, yet.

That Garafalo clip is troubling to me, if true (emphasis on that part).  I dont care how "raw" he is, you should not have to tell anybody that, least of which, the first round, presumed future franchise quarterback. 

And especially after the Giant game.  That wasnt embarrassing enough to get your nose in the playbook?  You're one play away from going in the game and you're still kinda half assing it. 

However sucky McCoy and Keenum are, their reps are that of being pros that know how to prepare.  Being around them wasnt enough to show him how to do it.  

Again, "if true", I dont particularly wanna hand over the keys to the franchise to a guy that needs to be told this kinda stuff.

32 minutes ago, justice98 said:

That Garafalo clip is troubling to me, if true (emphasis on that part).  I dont care how "raw" he is, you should not have to tell anybody that, least of which, the first round, presumed future franchise quarterback. 

And especially after the Giant game.  That wasnt embarrassing enough to get your nose in the playbook?  You're one play away from going in the game and you're still kinda half assing it. 

However sucky McCoy and Keenum are, their reps are that of being pros that know how to prepare.  Being around them wasnt enough to show him how to do it.  

Again, "if true", I dont particularly wanna hand over the keys to the franchise to a guy that needs to be told this kinda stuff.

If that's true (and that's an important caveat), then yeah that's a really bad sign. If you have to get on a rookie QB's ass about studying enough, getting his nose in the playbook enough, and preparing enough then you're not in a good situation. All the best QBs are guys who have been doing all of that stuff since the very first day they were drafted. I can't see any young QB making it in the NFL who has to be told or forced to do that work. Especially one who only has one year of college starting experience. 

Sweat seems to be coming on a bit recently, but I can't understate just how much of a blow it is that we're not seeing any true returns on both our 1st rounders. 

Reminds me of the three 2nd rounders year, with Sleepy Davis being the lone survivor, but taking 3-4 years before he became a consistent target.

I was watching the NFL Network guys just really down on Haskins.  I think it was Carr, Jones, and McGinest, and they flat said he's unplayable right now, but based on some specific things they saw in the game.  Like not being able to get guys lined up, making the wrong calls, and just generally looking like a guy that doesnt know what he's doing.

28 minutes ago, mistertim said:

If that's true (and that's an important caveat), then yeah that's a really bad sign. If you have to get on a rookie QB's ass about studying enough, getting his nose in the playbook enough, and preparing enough then you're not in a good situation. All the best QBs are guys who have been doing all of that stuff since the very first day they were drafted. I can't see any young QB making it in the NFL who has to be told or forced to do that work. Especially one who only has one year of college starting experience. 

And Keenum has already been benched once, Colt blew his shot and is inactive on gameday now, and Haskins is still allegedly not preparing properly?  Man, that's rough.  It's one thing if it's gonna take a catastrophe for you to get in the game, but that ain't his situation.

Archived