Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

4 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I think it’s foolish to make a call on Haskins future based on his inability to prepare as well as Alex Smith. We are talking about a well-off guy at the end of his career who chose the possibility of death and the certainty of random body parts getting stapled to his leg just for the opportunity to be a backup with the worst team in the league, with no OL, a rookie OC, a new coaching staff, sans a single starter outside of Terry Mclaurin on the offensive roster. 

Nobody can compete with that sort of will! No one! That’s maniacal. I still think Dwayne has the skills to be a starter in this league. I fully believe Ron made a mistake benching him when he did. I would have rode it out this year and made a decision in the off-season. I sincerely hope he didn’t bench him because he didn’t reach Alex’s benchmark for prep, because that bar is higher than any other player in sports history right now. 

I've been listening to beat guys talk about this including today.  It's not that they like Haskins preparation but love Alex's preparation skills and simply want Haskins strong work ethic to match Alex's mega work ethic.  The rap is his work ethic is below average.  The fact that Alex works like a maniac brings that home even more.

Finlay just talking about this on the radio which is their main issues with Haskins is more about what he does or lack thereof off the field versus his uneven play on the field.    Russell flat out saying he's heard they don't think he works hard enough.  The work ethic questions existed about Haskins with the previous regime, too.  And also is was vooiced as a concern by some before that draft. 

This part of Rivera's comment was blunt enough:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/11/09/alex-smith-washington-qb-dwayne-haskins/

Again, by example — coming in early, meeting with the coaches, meeting with the other quarterbacks, having discussions, talking about what you’re seeing and what you’re not seeing, and just studying and preparing. … I think that’s vital for a young quarterback to have those kinds of examples.

“ … Because a lot of times guys will rely on their great talent, and that talent will get you by for a while. But there is a point in everybody’s career where everything catches up to talent, and the only thing that separates it is the guys that work the hardest.”

21 minutes ago, KDawg said:

It certainly is. But context matters as to how it’s attained.

well considering how for a couple decades we couldn't execute a bubble screen to save our lives and our opponents ate up tons of yards that way that seems the most obvious

I really believe there is value in having a young guy learn behind someone like Alex Smith. I defended the decision to trade for Alex for years for this very reason. But at some point, you throw them to the wolves. This was the year to do it. I can’t see any benefit to the franchise waiting to do this all over next year and then possibly finding out, he isn’t the guy. Should have rode with him this year. 

59 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'm actually curious to see what this whole experience has taught him. This could be a major turning point in his career if he plays his cards right. 

Believe it or not, I am 100% cheering for him if he comes in the game at any point. I may even do an audible "Come on, Dwayne!" from my couch.

If he learned and improves its the best thing that can happen for this franchise for the next few years. 

If he turns it around it's going to be fun to see how everyone in this thread plays it, too...

Will the Haskins people claim that was what he had all along? Will they acknowledge he may have learned something from this whole thing? Will the people that saw flaws in Haskins think that this was all Rivera's handling of the situation that allowed Dwayne to turn it around? Or will they give credit to Dwayne?

Exciting times. 

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, this demotion should if nothing else light a fire under him. If not he is hopeless. But unless we see another injury, obviously not out of the question, he may not get that chance.  

1 hour ago, IrepDC said:

You must have missed my original comments in this thread about Haskins needing to do work, and how that's out of the teams control. The entire point of me discussing the culture was because that's the thing the team and we as fans contribute to. I really didn't think my point was that hard to grasp as many others got it. The leaks are either a problem or they're not, in my opinion. In yours they're sometimes okay. That's fine.

Fair enough. I did not see you earlier posts, all I saw was you blaming everyone but the player.  As for the last part I don't see leaks as the problem here.  It happens in other places. Now the intended leaks, probably from Bruce, were counter productive but no I see nothing wrong with fans understanding just what is going on with such a critical decision like benching the starting QB. And the only way you get that is with inside information as the coaches and players when interviewed don't tell the truth, we all know this.  

We had “tank for Tua,” he got hurt and we suck instead of just being mediocre which miraculously allowed him to fell into our lap, but of course, this team passed and select another DL.  Like that was the franchise problem for decades now.  This year and the for see able future, we are back to drafting the 3/4 best QB.  

Personally, if I was running, I would draft a QB 1 or 2 years.  Hit one and you are good for the next 10+ years.  Hit or bust.  None of this constant mediocrity crap.

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Fair enough. I did not see you earlier posts, all I saw was you blaming everyone but the player.  As for the last part I don't see leaks as the problem here.  It happens in other places. Now the intended leaks, probably from Bruce, were counter productive but no I see nothing wrong with fans understanding just what is going on with such a critical decision like benching the starting QB. And the only way you get that is with inside information as the coaches and players when interviewed don't tell the truth, we all know this.  

My tone was never "blame everyone else." More like "Haskins will do the work or he won't, that's on him, but we still have things to fix in order to develop ANY qb who ends up being the guy here." 

Oh goody...more of this. 😛     If we lose the next game, I'd prefer giving Haskins another shot so we're clear on what we want to do after the season...well, unless the coaching staff has already made that decision.  Right now things seem so uncertain to me but maybe that isn't the case for the coaching staff.  It is hard to tell.

The issue is that Snyder was the one picking the last 2 Quarterbacks.  We were all fooled into thinking Shanahan had enough pull to be in charge of personnel, but once Snyder gets enamored....look out! If it was up to Shanahan we very likely would be in year 8 of Russell Wilson era....now that doesn't mean things would have gone the way they did in Seattle because..... #Redskins #WFT but I'm just pointing out that Snyder is the one who decided who this team would be drafting at QB the last two situations where one was needed.

My only hope is that Rivera and the current scouting department have the keys to the car when it comes to selecting the next QB.  

3 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

Guys like Herbert, Tua, Maholmes, and Murray are what me think why we can't we have nice things.  Gifted QBs are just beyond this team's reach or not in the cards for them.  So much SMH at times.

We had a chance at drafting him lol. Tua is going to be amazing, if Chase Young isn't one of the best DEs in the league passing on him is going to haunt us. I've been saying this since way before the 2020 draft. He will be the new Drew Brees, look how quickly he already goes through his progressions. 

4 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I really believe there is value in having a young guy learn behind someone like Alex Smith. I defended the decision to trade for Alex for years for this very reason. But at some point, you throw them to the wolves. This was the year to do it. I can’t see any benefit to the franchise waiting to do this all over next year and then possibly finding out, he isn’t the guy. Should have rode with him this year. 

The professional football people rode with him and found out he wasn't the guy this year. 

2 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

We had a chance at drafting him lol. Tua is going to be amazing, if Chase Young isn't one of the best DEs in the league passing on him is going to haunt us. I've been saying this since way before the 2020 draft. 

It will haunt us if he isnt the best DE in 3 years. I think he will be, with a floor of one of the best.

6 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

It will haunt us if he isnt the best DE in 3 years. I think he will be, with a floor of one of the best.

I hope so, I see the impact he makes but in the end you've gotta get the sacks and make the plays. So far him being here hasn't seemed to move the needle much with this DL like I expected. 

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I still don’t know why people thought he’d come in and own the league (referencing Young). Rookie Edge guys rarely come in and light the world on fire, and the word generational is overused. 

I think Young is a once every 10 years type Edge player so I don't mind the term generational.   Same is true of Penai Sewall in this year's draft for O-Lineman and while its too early to say, the same could be true of the cornerback Singletary next year.  Your average draft is probably going to have anywhere between 0-2 guys who only come along at their positions once every 10 years or so.

1 minute ago, philibusters said:

I think Young is a once every 10 years type Edge player so I don't mind the term generational.   Same is true of Penai Sewall in this year's draft for O-Lineman and while its too early to say, the same could be true of the cornerback Singletary next year.  Your average draft is probably going to have anywhere between 0-2 guys who only come along at their positions once every 10 years or so.

I don’t think he is a once in ten year prospect.

Watt, Watt, Mack, Jordan, Miller, Bosa, Bosa, Chandler, Lawrence, Garrett, Clowney etc.

Maybe as prospects those guys were slightly lesser than Young... but the gap was never as big as anyone made it out to be.

I don’t want to keep stepping on the Haskins thread. Feel free to move this convo over to the Young thread though...

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

If he turns it around it's going to be fun to see how everyone in this thread plays it, too...

If he turns it around, good for him. That opens up many other options in the draft: Chase, Parsons, Surtain, etc. I would be very surprised, but it will be a welcome surprise. I don't think anyone roots for players to fail.

56 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Lazy bum...

I really suspect/speculate he’s the kind that finds motivation when dissed, and loses it at the slightest hint of prosperity. Like, say, being anointed starter. Naturally gifted mentally and physically, and doesn’t put those talents to full use with the grunt work necessary.

Again, just speculation on my part but I really believe that’s the book on him.

43 minutes ago, skinbuck said:

I really suspect/speculate he’s the kind that finds motivation when dissed, and loses it at the slightest hint of prosperity. Like, say, being anointed starter. Naturally gifted mentally and physically, and doesn’t put those talents to full use with the grunt work necessary.

His college coach basically said Haskins was not getting it done until he was disrespected by the coaches in regards to his work ethic. (I'm assuming this is why he didn't think Dwayne was ready for the pros, because it is child ****) 

Keep Payne skinny, don't coddle dwayne... listen to the best college coaches. I want dwayne to come out and set the field on fire. But at some point he has to be self motivated. You can't be a top tier QB and not be self motivated

1 hour ago, skinbuck said:

No pressure, no diamonds.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I still don’t know why people thought he’d come in and own the league (referencing Young). Rookie Edge guys rarely come in and light the world on fire, and the word generational is overused. 

For some reason people give rookie (sophmore) QBs a pass but don't want to see a rookie edge fighting through an injury for what they are. I'm not saying I was throwing a vote in the Tua ring at draft time , his injuries (and my hope in Dwayne) scared me enough I was a Chase guy through and through.

Archived