Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

8 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

The totality of your post amounted to "I don't believe them."

Not at all.

On the contrary my conclusion is that I can neither believe nor disbelieve them based on what they say because what they say is often nothing more than spin.

You don't offer any reason for not believing them other than the cliche' of "It's all coach-speak,"

Again that’s your misinterpretation of my thesis not my thesis. As I said before my conclusion is that neither you, me or the Pillsburry Doughboy has any idea what the truth is.

which tends to be used by people to dismiss anything a coach says that contradicts their preconceived views. Because the nanosecond we acknowledge that we as fans have no idea, we are no longer in a position to dismiss the words of those who do have the knowledge and experience to know. There's nothing left to contradict the coaches' words other than our desire to not believe them. (snip)

Yada yada yada.  

Nice argument that has no relevance to any position I maintain.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves

I haven't heard that the coaches think he's lazy

honestly we're half way through the season, our OL is questionable and our QB is a guy who's ability to play is a miracle.

Unless Smith takes us on an 8 game streak, I don't see the players getting to upset  if Haskins gets another shot, eventually

Edited by carex
8 hours ago, carex said:

honestly we're half way through the season, our OL is questionable and our QB is a guy who's ability to play is a miracle.

Unless Smith takes us on an 8 game streak, I don't see the players getting to upset  if Haskins gets another shot, eventually

Our OL has actually been decent. We need upgrades, for sure. But you want to see bad... really bad... pass pro? Check out Gibson in pass protection. 

McKissick is better in that department and Barber is the best of the backs.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Our OL has actually been decent. We need upgrades, for sure. But you want to see bad... really bad... pass pro? Check out Gibson in pass protection. 

McKissick is better in that department and Barber is the best of the backs.

Like you I am a big fan of Gibson but agree he has to improve in pass protect, its probably the reason why he's just about never on the field on third down even though in theory you'd want a passing weapon like him on the field then.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Like you I am a big fan of Gibson but agree he has to improve in pass protect, its probably the reason why he's just about never on the field on third down even though in theory you'd want a passing weapon like him on the field then.

Just get Clinton to coach him up.  Clinton was the best pass protecting RB I've ever seen.  

Honestly, pass-pro is about "will" and experience.  Gibson isn't very experienced as an RB, so it'll take time.  

2 hours ago, mhd24 said:

ust get Clinton to coach him up.  Clinton was the best pass protecting RB I've ever seen.  

Cooley brought this up on his film breakdown.  He made a BIG DEAL of the fact the Giants were bringing pressure all game from the side opposite the RB, and the WFT never adjusted.  And Gibson, on the play where Allen's leg got busted, apparently did a real "ole!" of a job.  (I haven't watched the play, so I'm going to take his word for it.)

Cooley said Clinton was the best he's ever seen at this, he would have come over and blown up the blitzer, and the blitzer would not blitz anymore.  I remember seeing Clinton do this often, there is one play in particular which was EPIC. I can't find it.  For some reason, I want to say it was against the Dolphins, but I could be making that up.  He comes up the middle and just absolutely blasts the blitzer who goes flying in the opposite direction as though he was hit by a mac truck.  

I think Gibson CAN get there, I just don't think he knows what he's doing.  Remember, he really was a tweener, more of a WR in college, and didn't have to do any of this stuff.  This is all new to him.  McKissic is better at picking up blitzes, but he lacks the real size and strength to blow somebody up who's coming at him.  He's better breaking tackles when he's moving forward.  

Sorry for the divergence for the trip down memory lane....

Dwayne has to decide if he wants to be an NFL player. He doesn't have a long-term future here but the NFL is littered with Qbs had success later in their careers with teams that didn't draft him.

We know Dwayne will probably be starting near the end of the season.  Will he do what he needs to get that chance to start again?  Even if it's  Only 2-3 games; that could convince some team to get him in 21 and develop him.

Dwayne doesn't do what he needs , he's looking at XFL reboot. Will he realize that or fall back into whatever got him benched to 3rd.

Keim just on the radio:

He just doubled down that Montez is a possibility over Haskins.   He doesn't think they'd hesitate to do it if they don't see what they like from Haskins.

Keim said he doesn't think the QB of the future is on the roster, he doesn't think their issue with Haskins is purely short term, he also doesn't think they see him as the long term answer but you never know. 

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim just on the radio:

He just doubled down that Montez is a possibility over Haskins.   He doesn't think they'd hesitate to do it if they don't see what they like from Haskins.

Keim said he doesn't think the QB of the future is on the roster, he doesn't think their issue with Haskins is purely short term, he also doesn't think they see him as the long term answer but you never know. 

This seems crazy to me but I can't find it in myself to believe Rivera wants to LOSE.  There is some serious stuff going on behind the scenes if Montez is a legitimate option over Haskins.  We're 'hearing' that Haskins is putting in the work but seriously?  

13 hours ago, carex said:

I listened really carefully to what Ron said on Monday (I think?) about Dwayne.  I think it was very telling.  What he basically said is now Haskins gets to see how a professional starting QB prepares.  And he basically challenged him to mimic the behavior.  He also left the door cracked, saying if the situation changes, it's possible another QB could play.  

But I think what's absolutely clear is they are not going to give Haskins another shot if they have to shrink the playbook to 3 pages.  Haskins is going to have to prove he can run the entire offense in practice, with the limited second team reps he gets, he's going to have to show he knows the offense backwards in the meeting rooms, he is going to have to show he is basically Alex Smith's walking, talking and breathing shadow.  If he does these things, he might get a shot.  If he doesn't he won't.  It's that simple.

If it was me, and I was Dwayne, I would literally meet Alex outside his door in the morning, and follow him into the park, and not leave his side unless it was to go to the bathroom.  I would copy everything he did, ask a million questions, and do everything Alex did.  And I wouldn't leave until Alex left.  (He doesn't have to follow him home, that might be a bit creepy.) There is no way I would let anybody out-work me.  

Ron said that work ethic is kindof innate.  Some people have it, some don't.  I agree and disagree to some extent.  I think some people are born with it, and some people have to develop it, and they blossom a little later in life as they mature.  And sometimes, necessity is the mother of invention. If you see your career slipping away, sometimes that is very motivating.  I don't know anything about Haskins' make up, so I have no idea how he will take this challenge. 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

This seems crazy to me but I can't find it in myself to believe Rivera wants to LOSE.  There is some serious stuff going on behind the scenes if Montez is a legitimate option over Haskins.  We're 'hearing' that Haskins is putting in the work but seriously?  

I don't think Ron cares much about winning right now, but I think he absolutely cares about developing the team, and if he believes Montez has a greater shot to be on the roster in 2021 or beyond, I'm sure he would go that route.

Look, you're not keeping the 15th overall pick on the roster to be a backup.  Either Haskins enters 2021 as the starter, or he's gone.  Those are the only 2 options.  If Haskins doesn't show what they want to see, starting today, in terms of approach an work ethic, he's not coming back.  If he does, then he can progress over the next 5-6 weeks and maybe get a shot in week 16 or 17 when they're out of it for real.  

Kyle Allen is a FA after the season, but I imagine they will re-sign him, and he'd be crazy not to re-sign here.  Alex Smith, unless he goes on some unbelievable run, is probably going to get released. Though who knows.  If he looks competent, they might keep him and ride it out one more year if they draft a guy.   Haskins probably will be traded or released.  And you know nothing about Montez.    

So it wouldn't be shocking if they wanted to see Montez on the active roster for a few games just to see what he's got.  Remember, there was no pre-season.  So they've never seen him take a snap in a game of any type.  

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don't think Ron cares much about winning right now, but I think he absolutely cares about developing the team, and if he believes Montez has a greater shot to be on the roster in 2021 or beyond, I'm sure he would go that route.

Look, you're not keeping the 15th overall pick on the roster to be a backup.  Either Haskins enters 2021 as the starter, or he's gone.  Those are the only 2 options.  If Haskins doesn't show what they want to see, starting today, in terms of approach an work ethic, he's not coming back.  If he does, then he can progress over the next 5-6 weeks and maybe get a shot in week 16 or 17 when they're out of it for real.  

Kyle Allen is a FA after the season, but I imagine they will re-sign him, and he'd be crazy not to re-sign here.  Alex Smith, unless he goes on some unbelievable run, is probably going to get released. Though who knows.  If he looks competent, they might keep him and ride it out one more year if they draft a guy.   Haskins probably will be traded or released.  And you know nothing about Montez.    

So it wouldn't be shocking if they wanted to see Montez on the active roster for a few games just to see what he's got.  Remember, there was no pre-season.  So they've never seen him take a snap in a game of any type.  

I agree with all of that.  My point was that is pretty clear the Haskins story is deeper than we know.  We all speculate and can draw the conclusion that Haskins isn't the guy, it's just devolving further and further.  I don't think this is just about practice habits.  I'm good with Montez on the active roster, and hell, give him a shot in the game, but for this kind of speculation to come from Keim, there has to be fire where there's smoke.  It may be a tiny ember, or it may be something bigger.  To have 3 different QBs supplant Haskins within 6 weeks (at least 2) should tell us all we need to know... I have a glimmer of hope that Haskins is the guy, simply because if he's the guy then you dont have to draft another QB... but that hope is hangin on by a thread.  This Montez stuff just amplifies it. 

I personally think the long game here is to bring Allen back as your bridge guy and build the team.  We'll likely be picking top 8 or 9 so there WILL be a QB there.  If Smith's guy is there you take him, but if not... there is a lot of talent in the top half of the first round.  5 QBs could go in the top 10 so there will be a SERIOUSLY talented playmaker falling somewhere.  

WP

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/11/11/dwayne-haskins-washington-future-quarterback/

While a person with knowledge of the situation said the coaching staff was irritated with Haskins for not arriving at the building early, arriving late to some meetings and not preparing enough for games — leading to on-field mistakes — Rivera also did not want to give up on him. Two people familiar with the situation said Rivera was not interested in trading Haskins, hoping instead that his second-year quarterback would take the benching as a challenge.

...Rivera often likes to see how people around the team handle difficult situations, sometimes using the word “test.” It’s hard to not view these last few weeks as a sort of test for Haskins, a chance to gauge whether Haskins will grasp the habits the staff is asking him to adopt.

Much of the problem for Haskins and Washington is that Haskins only started one season at Ohio State and didn’t come to the NFL with the same understanding of game preparation as college quarterbacks who started for two or three years in school. Both of the coaching staffs Haskins has played for in Washington have encouraged Haskins to study the examples of veteran quarterbacks who have been on the team in that time like Smith, Kyle Allen, Colt McCoy and Case Keenum.

But those examples haven’t always been easy for Haskins to follow, multiple people familiar with his time in the NFL have said. They describe a player who is bright and cares and wants to be good. Some wonder that because he’s always been one of the most talented players wherever he has been, the obsessive preparation NFL quarterbacks must put in each week has not come naturally to him.

...There are signs that things have changed. While Haskins was described as being devastated by the demotion, he began coming to the facility early and doing extra work in the weight room. In recent days, Rivera has said Haskins has worked harder in practice, maximizing reps in drills that the quarterback hadn’t before. Earlier this week, the coach seemed happy that Haskins would get to see Smith — a quarterback long regarded as one of the league’s most diligent workers — preparing for games.

“It’s something that some guys grow and develop and understand how important it is,” Rivera said this week when asked if players can learn how to prepare for games. “A lot of times, guys will rely on their great talent. That talent will get you by for a while but there’s a point in everybody’s career where everything catches up to talent. The only thing that separates it are the guys that work the hardest.”

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

<Snip>

If it was me, and I was Dwayne, I would literally meet Alex outside his door in the morning, and follow him into the park, and not leave his side unless it was to go to the bathroom.  I would copy everything he did, ask a million questions, and do everything Alex did.  And I wouldn't leave until Alex left.  (He doesn't have to follow him home, that might be a bit creepy.) There is no way I would let anybody out-work me.  

Ron said that work ethic is kindof innate.  Some people have it, some don't.  I agree and disagree to some extent.  I think some people are born with it, and some people have to develop it, and they blossom a little later in life as they mature.  And sometimes, necessity is the mother of invention. If you see your career slipping away, sometimes that is very motivating.  I don't know anything about Haskins' make up, so I have no idea how he will take this challenge. 

Agree with this 100%.

Haskins is at a crossroads in his career/life right now. He can either stand there with his arms crossed, sulking and complaining about how everyone else done messed up, or he can work his butt off and realise his potential (whatever that may be).

He couldn't ask for a better pair of mentors than Smith and Allen. His future is in his own hands and it will be interesting to see how the next few weeks play out.  Personally I think he blows it because he's too immature and full of himself, but I would love to be proved wrong.

• TK changed the title to FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State
  • PCS locked this topic