Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

I feel like Haskins’ game - At it’s best - requires him to have expert knowledge of the offense he’s in and the defense he’s seeing in order to be as effective as possible. He himself models his game after the GOAT and that’s how he is able to destroy teams at his best. 

He’s not a guy who can make plays with his legs often enough that they matter. And he’s not a scramble drill type player either. 

So for him to be successful, it’s going to take more time than 2 games in an offense and 9 games overall. I get that you see other QBs doing that. But they have a different skill set than he does. And that says nothing about the fact that we had a guy who could start hot but y’all hated him too. The hypocrisy there annoys me more than anything but there is nothing I can do about that lol

When you look around the league like the Chargers yesterday with a rookie playing his first game and he throws for tons of yards and touchdowns you wonder when the GE light bulb will go off for Haskins.  Yes, he needs better blocking but imagine if we had the Arizona quarterback and they had Haskins.  I think we would have won the game yesterday.   I understand we need to give him a full season but it is going to require fans to have unusual patience while we watch other teams quarterbacks.

Some of you are getting all worked up about this whole "people advocating for Dwayne to be benched" thing. But no one here is really doing that. There may be a few... but most people here in all the posts I've read today advocate playing Haskins for the entire year. 

3 hours ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

Today NFL is different, with all the big data and analytics you know right away of a player is going to be good. You may have have listed all of the exceptions to rule (even if you throw in Peyton Manning, who had flashes of being good his rookie year).  The vast majority QB’s don’t work out and the list would be endless if we compared it to yours. Look at Murray, he had a decent rookie year (not great), but you knew he was going to develop into franchise QB, same with all of the current NFL top tier QB’s.

Is Josh Allen bad?

Is Baker good?

Total speculation, but thoughts on Haskins psychology as a QB getting a bit mixed up with him losing weight/feeling faster and looking to escape the pocket more often?

Last season, one of the great qualities was his strength and physicality in the pocket to hang in there and manipulate the pocket with subtle movements. Now it seems he’s looking to escape, just doesn’t seem to match with his football DNA. His ability to hang in there take a hit and deliver off his back foot or step in the face of pressure and make throws was encouraging. 

I was one that didn’t mind the extra weight and thought it showed up in a positive way on Sundays for him. 

These type of factors are the equalizers to a mobile QB and must be maximized. 

14 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Over time, I've fallen hard for the power of having mobile QBs.  I and some others, I recall @wit33 in that group really wanted Kyler Murray bad ironically when there was an early phase in the draft process where it looked like he might fall some.  

Wasn’t just about Kyler (100% wanted him and Jackson when he came out lol), an elite athlete at the QB position still provides a huge known variable to any team, a great run game/play action game. This advantage continues to lessen as the league in 10 years or so will be filled with Kyler Murray types, but it’s still there for the time being. 

Years ago I thought the smash mouth football guys who’ve been run out the league should’ve adapted the mobile QB to their smash mouth model to keep up with the modern game while still maintaining the same principles. 

Many will point to the Cardinals outclassing the team on all levels, but for me it was 90% to do with the Cardinals having Murray and his legs to save plays when he can’t properly read the field or no one is open. 

1 minute ago, wit33 said:

Many will point to the Cardinals outclassing the team on all levels, but for me it was 90% to do with the Cardinals having Murray and his legs to save plays when he can’t properly read the field or no one is open. 

I agree.  Kyler and his ability to extend plays/be dangerous as a runner is what won that game for them yesterday, mostly.  He can get away from blitzing linebackers and d-lineman, he can make them miss, too.  IIRC, it was Landon Collins he got flat footed, too.  

29 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Some of you are getting all worked up about this whole "people advocating for Dwayne to be benched" thing. But no one here is really doing that. There may be a few... but most people here in all the posts I've read today advocate playing Haskins for the entire year. 

But should we?  If we think another QB the roster could do better should we give the whole year?  I’d rather know if we have anything decent before likely drafting another QB then. 

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

I agree.  Kyler and his ability to extend plays/be dangerous as a runner is what won that game for them yesterday, mostly.  He can get away from blitzing linebackers and d-lineman, he can make them miss, too.  IIRC, it was Landon Collins he got flat footed, too.  

Murray is overrated in my eyes.  He misses too much down the field much like Haskins.  The only different is his elusiveness in the pocket.  He made some downright awful throws yesterday.

31 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

They left our worst OLine in the league out of the top 5. It’s a conspiracy 

BOTW wrote: “They left our worst OLine in the league out of the top 5. It’s a conspiracy“

Another example of clear media bias against the Red.. er Washington Football Team.

They won’t even give us a ready made excuse for our ineptness— the devious scheming fiends.

2 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Murray is overrated in my eyes.  He misses too much down the field much like Haskins.  The only different is his elusiveness in the pocket.  He made some downright awful throws yesterday.

Yeah, but he kicked our ass and his team is 2-0.  We didn't have an answer for him for much of the game.  

3 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Murray is overrated in my eyes.  He misses too much down the field much like Haskins.  The only different is his elusiveness in the pocket.  He made some downright awful throws yesterday

All that is true, but he was still dynamic, that’s precisely the value of the mobile QB. His number asset (has an extremely gifted arm as well) is his legs and that requires no correct play call or teammates around him to be talented to play a huge role in each game.  

15 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Vive la différence!

At this point in their careers there is really no comparison. One quarterback is the key playmaker on an offense perfectly suited to his abilities the other is full of potential but clearly struggling to find his way both in his offense and the league in general.

Now in a few years who knows but today I’d choose Murray over Haskins without hesitation.

27 minutes ago, volsmet said:

What’s concerning about the sack is I’ve seen him play that scenario more patiently in the past, but the consistent pressure will change a man underwear contents.

I mean, he’s two games in with this line, it’s not yet a David Carr situation. If he’s traumatized after 8 quarters, then... .

Total and complete conjecture, but it looks to me he has a lot of voices in his head, due to probably being more open to outside influences more than ever in his life in hopes of evolving and has lost some of his QB DNA. Looks extremely “coached up” out there.

This a micro take in a macro journey. Much work is left to be done. 

52 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

They left our worst OLine in the league out of the top 5. It’s a conspiracy 

25 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

They won’t even give us a ready made excuse for our ineptness— the devious scheming fiends.

Pressures are not created equally. See Wes Martin windmill technique

16 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I mean, he’s two games in with this line, it’s not yet a David Carr situation. If he’s traumatized after 8 quarters, then... .

Total and complete conjecture, but it looks to me he has a lot of voices in his head, due to probably being more open to outside influences more than ever in his life in hopes of evolving and has lost some of his QB DNA. Looks extremely “coached up” out there.

This a micro take in a macro journey. Much work is left to be done. 

Mayfield looks different after being hit, it happens all the time, I have voiced my concern over it since we drafted DH and failed to invest in protecting him. I just finished watching the 1h (I was out yesterday) and he’s noticeably uncomfortable when he holds the ball over 2 seconds, but he isn’t nearly as bad as the game thread made it seem. Logan Thomas was awful, Apke is terrible, but DH has had some bad luck mixed in with the rushed delivery/out of sync mechanics that showed up on 3-5 throws. At times his catchable passes aren’t put where the wr can do much after the catch.. he missed Inman for an easy first ... he had a couple misses on 3rd and short that were layups, but he had a couple drops as well. 

38 minutes ago, -JB- said:

After watching the 1h, he looks great.

45 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

🤷‍♂️

“3rd round draft pick as his star WR” is intentionally downplaying Terry McLaurin’s talent.  Doesn’t matter where he was drafted, Terry plays like a future star.  Is there a team that wouldn’t gladly take him off our hands?  I doubt it.  Haskins may not have the best group of receivers but he certainly has at least one good one.  

52 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Wasn’t just about Kyler (100% wanted him and Jackson when he came out lol), an elite athlete at the QB position still provides a huge known variable to any team, a great run game/play action game. This advantage continues to lessen as the league in 10 years or so will be filled with Kyler Murray types, but it’s still there for the time being. 

I know.  I prefer the dual threat QBs, too.  To that point, as I mentioned it was tough for me to ignore when on a podcast designed for a QB coach to highlight Haskins that podcast digressed when that same QB coach gushed much more about Fields.  The way he described Fields was Lamar Jackson level mobility, 4.4 or better speed, yet with a better arm.  If Haskins doesn't work out and we have a high pick, that description makes Fields intriguing to me.  Hopefully Haskins does work out but if it goes south and we have a high pick, in theory at least this is going to be a really good QB draft. 

Archived