Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

56 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Did Tennessee ever produce another QB other than Manning? We had one, he wasn't very good.

Umm, you ever heard of a guy named Nathan Pederman? Yea look it up, guy is in the stat books. Put some respect on his name please.

56 minutes ago, max21 said:

Justin fields is going to be a star, I’ve watched a bunch of his games. He has that “it”. He’s basically a taller Murray maybe not a tricky as Kyler but uh yeah he’s good. A lot of people talk about Lance now and I know nothing about him 

I'll pay more attention to him when the Big 10 returns in October.  But like I said it really stuck with me when a dude who worked with both Haskins and Fields (whose profession is to work with QBs so I gather knows the position well) clearly came off to me like a dude who liked Haskins but was absolutely infatuated with Fields.  He basically thought Fields had freak like talent.  

56 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

That has much more to do with his footwork/mechanics than it does his reads.  He's actually reading the field fairly well for a young QB - he just isn't throwing catchable passes to his WRs when they do get open.

Fields, on the other hand, will quickly bail the pocket when his first read isn't open.

Another possible factor is that by holding the ball longer the rushers have more of a chance to disrupt the pocket which along with the footwork deficiencies you mentioned leads to a desperate and less effective throw.

1 minute ago, httr2020dynasty said:

Dead serious, he's that bad. Worst I've seen

LOL alright dude that's like your opinion man

Jason freakin' Campbell.. the dude who couldn't read a campbells soup can let alone an NFL defense..

and 

Gus freakin' Frerotte.. the dude who literally head butted a wall.

No thanks, i'd take Dwayne, who has a high football IQ and can read NFL defenses any day over those two bums.

3 minutes ago, ZarG3 said:

LOL alright dude that's like your opinion man

Jason freakin' Campbell.. the dude who couldn't read a campbells soup can let alone an NFL defense..

and 

Gus freakin' Frerotte.. the dude who literally head butted a wall.

No thanks, i'd take Dwayne, who has a high football IQ and can read NFL defenses any day over those two bums.

I understand some people might be emotionally invested in him because he was a high Redskins draft pick and I don't mean to be mean or anything like that. After watching the entirety of Gus Frerotte and Jason Campbells careers, he just hasn't shown me one thing that makes me consider him better than those two. And that's not a good thing because they were pretty bad themselves but at lesat they were serviceable. Haskins eye test matches his last place QBR.

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'll pay more attention to him when the Big 10 returns in October.  But like I said it really stuck with me when a dude who worked with both Haskins and Fields (whose profession is to work with QBs so I gather knows the position well) clearly came off to me like a dude who liked Haskins but was absolutely infatuated with Fields.  He basically thought Fields had freak like talent.  

I was going to ask what you thought about Fields so I appreciate that, but what about Trey Lance? Haven’t seen him play at all and he seems to be popping up over tons of mock drafts. 

2 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

I understand some people might be emotionally invested in him because he was a high Redskins draft pick and I don't mean to be mean or anything like that. After watching the entirety of Gus Frerotte and Jason Campbells careers, he just hasn't shown me one thing that makes me consider him better than those two. And that's not a good thing because they were pretty bad themselves but at lesat they were serviceable. Haskins eye test matches his last place QBR.

I'm not invested in the guy at all, you are comparing three QBs from completely different generations and rosters. Dwayne has far less weapons and protection than both Campbell and Frerotte ever did. Out of 9 total games, chalking it up that those 2 QBs are better is short sighted and your "eye" test is laughable.

6 minutes ago, ZarG3 said:

I'm not invested in the guy at all, you are comparing three QBs from completely different generations and rosters. Dwayne has far less weapons and protection than both Campbell and Frerotte ever did. Out of 9 total games, chalking it up that those 2 QBs are better is short sighted and your "eye" test is laughable.

Fine he hasn't done one thing that makes me think "he'll become" better than those two. And yes, the eye test is something people use to judge quarterbacks. And when the eye test matches the metrics, it's usually a bad sign. I'm not sure why you're defending him so adamantly if you're not invested in him at all. What has he done to deserve this defense? According to QBR, he is literally the worst qb in the NFL. 

I think we have somewhat had our memories clouded by knowing the outcome of Frerotte’s career. But in his moment he was exciting to watch.

IIRC Frerotte was hot from the minute he first came in relief. He went on a 5 or 6 game streak where he legitamately looked like an ascending potential tier 2 quarterback. 

Then around the time of the head butt fiasco he had a precipitous fall from grace and was never regarded the same. But he certainly had his all to brief moment in the sun.

I fully expect that Haskins will prove himself to be a better qb than Frerotte. However, the Gus bus was once upon a time a very exhilarating ride before the wheels came flying off.

24 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

Dead serious, he's that bad. Worst I've seen

Cary Conklin says Hi. So do John Beck, Heath Shuler, Tony Banks and Jeff George. 

But seriously let's hold the hyperbole and wait and see on a guy who has 9 starts under his belt. Haskins has to play better, he's missing plays he should make even with the shoddy pass pro and lack of talent at receiver/TE. His reads are good - he is going to the right guy (and thats not just the first read and then eat it or take off) and protecting the ball-  but he is missing throws he cant miss.

Play calling and design has to be better as well. We heard all offseason about the importance of running backs as part of the passing game in this system - yesterday 3 targets for one reception for -3 yards.,

Haskins is clearly most comfortable and effective when he just goes out has quick simple reads and gets rid of the ball.

Why not just go with a hurry up offense for most of if not the whole game? 

Let Haskins go on the line if scrimmage call his own plays and have a quick pass, quick run, back to the line of scrimmage offense. It would mask some of the o line deficiencies, play into Haskins strengths and confuse and tire the defense. 

We’ve had our best offensive showing through two games when the gameplan is abandoned and Haskins just goes out there and plays fast.

Let’s discover if this trend can be expanded.

Haskins hasn't shown me anything that shows he's a franchise QB.  accuracy stinks, can't change up speeds with his throws, he is way too stiff when he runs, he doesn't make guys around him better.  At best i see him as a system QB, and nothing close to a top 10 qb in this league. 

Franchise QB....really...

Unfortunately this argument is equal to banter with regards to a rookie QB (as well as most every position).

Apparently in today's NFL, you are of little value if you can't immediately step into the Pro ranks and satisfy fan demands. 

Regardless of stats that prove there's a steep learning curve, allowing the new pro's perception of the game to slow down, fans have no time for this.

You can add a rookie OC to this list.

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

What's interesting is Vinny T was the last U QB drafted in the 1st round. They haven't had a QB drafted before the 6th round since Craig Erickson was drafted twice in the 5th and then the 4th round in 1992.

I think Dallas used a 1st round pick in the 1989 supplemental draft to take Steve Walsh.  I think he was seen as a 1st round talent a couple of years after Vinny.

So our offense is Terry McLaurin and glimmers of Antonio Gibson.  Haskins needs blocking help.  He needs receiving help.  He needs a playmaker.  He needs a guy who was one of the top TEs out of high school (i.e., he knows what kind of TE the Team needs).  He’s big, at least 6’6, at least 260 lbs, but fast – 4.41 combine fast.  Give him big hands and a huge catch radius.  Good rebounder too.  Tough, like defensive end-tough, not receiving TE-tough. 

This Team has Chase Young, who’s already been anointed potentially HOF-worthy.  Ion, Payne, Allen, Kerrigan, Settle…, and Apke with the safety blitz.  Keeping someone of Montez Sweat’s athletic – and football – potential on defense, where he’s not going to get credit for 1/3 or 1/4 sack, so he adds little value, on defense when you need every single thing he’s got and can do on offense, and you can get it all in one guy, it’s an absolute waste.  He can plaster anyone he wants on the way out of the backfield and you tell me how many defensive backs in the NFL are actually going to take on a 262lb ball carrier who runs 4.41?  Answer?  Zero.  Have you seen how long his arms are?  Switching him to TE would reduce most of our offensive problems.  Chase Young is so dominant, he actually reduces Sweat’s value as a DE below his value as a TE, especially a TE who’s a true deep-threat.  6’6 and 4.41 qualifies.  The Team's offense needs to start working up a Sweat.

Archived