Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Are you really this obtuse? Is there a reason you continue to ignore anything other than the "Haskins sucks!" narrative? Including the coaches own words? I'm not sold at all on Haskins, but simply labeling him a bust at this point is as bad as anyone saying he's going to be great.

Unless we finish with a top-2 pick, we'd have to trade up, costing us more resources. Or would you prefer to sink a ton of money into a FA QB? I'd much rather give Haskins the time, get an OL that isn't a train-wreck, and a 2nd receiving option better than Inman.

Please tell me what I’m ignoring. Honestly. Our Oline and weapons suck. I don’t know how what else you want me to say. Again, this thread is about Dwayne so he’s the focus of the discussion. 

Go through my posts. I’ve admitted many times that he was unlucky as hell to 1) be drafted here and 2) to have to endure the covid 19 world during his development. Tell me where I’ve said anything more than “he sucks right now and if he doesn’t stop sucking, he’s in danger of not being the starter in 2021”. Is there anything incorrect in that statement? Am I a bad fan or person for thinking this way? 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Rskins91 said:

Haskins still has yet to play a full 16 games in the NFL. Let’s give him more time to work and develop. He didn’t play well enough today; no need to sugarcoat it. But some people are way too impatient in this thread. Let’s talk again at the mid-season mark and the end of the season. Then we can make a more informed judgment.

It's called the eye test. You can tell if a QB has "it" or not. I just dont see it.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Dan forced Haskins on Ron. Let’s not pretend otherwise...

This is crazy talk? 

Ron took the job and knew who was here, there's no way a conversation concerning Haskins didn't take place and I bet it was a lengthy one.

Dan probably asked Ron to give him a shot, a 2 time coach of the year isn't taking this job knowing he can't move on from Haskins if he has too.

• Like 3
Just now, JSSkinz said:

This is crazy talk? 

Ron took the job and knew who was here, there's no way a conversation concerning Haskins didn't take place and I bet it was a lengthy one.

Dan probably asked Ron to give him a shot, a 2 time coach of the year isn't taking this job knowing he can't move on from Haskins if he has too.

Dan also tried to force Kevin O’Connell on Ron. Dude don’t be naive. He was Dan’s pick and he gets the special treatment. Kinda like asking the coach to keep an eye on a QB the same way an NFL owner would ask a cheerleader to hang out with his buddy. No difference. 

1 minute ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Am I a bad fan or person for thinking this way? 

Well, you didn't accuse him of affecting Rivera's cancer treatment, so you're not the worst poster on here. :)

I think we are at the agree-to-disagree point. Im giving him the full year--based entirely on Rivera's comments and approach to this year. If he's still this bad after this season and Rivera goes in another direction, so be it. My main problem is no one is going to succeed with this supporting cast. I'd hate to use another pick on a QB when we have so many other holes. So we'll see.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Well, you didn't accuse him of affecting Rivera's cancer treatment, so you're not the worst poster on here. :)

I think we are at the agree-to-disagree point. Im giving him the full year--based entirely on Rivera's comments and approach to this year. If he's still this bad after this season and Rivera goes in another direction, so be it. My main problem is no one is going to succeed with this supporting cast. I'd hate to use another pick on a QB when we have so many other holes. So we'll see.

Bur you were 100% in on Zorn so your past history plays into this. You don’t simply get to say oops. But I’m right now! 

4 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Dan also tried to force Kevin O’Connell on Ron. Dude don’t be naive. He was Dan’s pick and he gets the special treatment. Kinda like asking the coach to keep an eye on a QB the same way an NFL owner would ask a cheerleader to hang out with his buddy. No difference. 

To be fair I too would have preferred O'Connell. 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

Dan also tried to force Kevin O’Connell on Ron.

Who said that and how did that work out for Kevin?  I'm not being naive, I want the proof before I believe Ron let Dan steamroll him into the ****test job in the NFL while getting him to agree to take a QB against his will.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, JSSkinz said:

Who said that and how did that work out for Kevin?  I'm not being naive, I want the proof before I believe Ron let Dan steamroll him into the ****test job in the NFL while getting him to agree to take a QB against his will.

He got Gibbs to comeback dude. No one underestimates his initial charisma.  Not Spurrier not Marty. It’s actually impressive. Sociopaths are great at turning no nonsense guys into chumps man. 

He drafted the QB so the QB must be the great. Rivera was free to choose to name Haskins starter at the end of the off season instead of the beginning. Rivera was given that level of autonomy and free will. No one is disputing it. Rivera monitored Haskins social media after all! What more does he need! 

3 minutes ago, wtfskins said:

We played the #1 pass defense today.  He didn’t throw a interception and he got better as the game went on.  Let’s give the Cardinals some credit here.  Also let’s look at our system as a whole not just one player.  

Why am I not surprised that a team that played Garropalo without his top 4 WRs and Dwayne Haskins is the #1 pass defense 🤔

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, lavar1156 said:

It's called the eye test. You can tell if a QB has "it" or not. I just dont see it.

Troy Aikman was 0-11 with 9 TDs to 18 INTs in his rookie season. 

Terry Bradshaw was 5-9 with 6 TDs to 24 INTs in his rookie season. 

Rich Gannon was 37 when he had his MVP Season after years of futility in the 90’s. 

Alex Smith had 1 TD to 11 INTs in 9 games played his rookie season.

I’m not saying Dwayne will be an All-Pro, but I’m also not saying he’s a complete bust. Let’s give him time to get “it” and learn from his mistakes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
48 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Why am I not surprised that a team that played Garropalo without his top 4 WRs and Dwayne Haskins is the #1 pass defense 🤔

but still!

As someone pointed out, we lost the game when Haskins sack fumbled and then the kickoff return was fumbled in quick succession.

the sack fumble, not Haskins fault the o line didn’t help him.  That said Haskins won’t ever be a top 7 when but could be good enough. He’s like a poor mans desean watson who is a middle income mans Russell Wilson. 

So the last two games production from 2019 has not carried over yet into this year. He’s started 9 games in his career. New coordinator, new coach, distanced learning. Those aren’t excuses they are facts. What’s also a fact is the way he’s started these two games have been piss poor. I’m personally not ready to cut bait. He’s showed last year that if he understands what he’s seeing he can be something. I hope he starts to “see it” soon because I don’t think Ron is gonna accept being down 17-0 in every game for too long. 

Justin Herbert came in off of the bench in an emergency start yesterday, and looked leaps and bounds better than Haskins in any one of his 9 starts.  It is abundantly clear that this guy should have never been drafted in the first round.  

• Like 2

The laughing and smiling at the end isn’t a huge deal. There’s more concerning aspects to this team than that.

But, I’ve never seen anyone with a deep competitive fire do that after a formal ass kicking.

Perhaps it’s more pronounced due to the issues with the offense, but competitive people don’t laugh when they lose. I lose in Madden and I’m frustrated. Of course, it’s a video game and I’m able to get over it after a few seconds of frustration, but I’d even say most of us struggle laughing and joking from our couches when we watch a game like that. 

I DO think it speaks to his competitiveness in combination with his personal effort (despite horrendous supporting issues) as a backup QB last year. 

A competitor fights through those things and can’t be in the mood to laugh and joke.

Now, to be fair, I don’t think someone not being an ultra competitor disqualifies them from being a good QB. 

This isn’t a total indictment of Haskins. It’s just an observation. 

• Like 3

Haskins doesn't have it. He may be able to be a good game manager, he may be able to win games when the defense constantly gives him the ball back w/ good field position, but he will never go out a win a game like that kid Murray did. Is there anything that DH actually does well? I'd take Minshew right now over DH. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Rskins91 said:

Troy Aikman was 0-11 with 9 TDs to 18 INTs in his rookie season. 

Terry Bradshaw was 5-9 with 6 TDs to 24 INTs in his rookie season. 

Rich Gannon was 37 when he had his MVP Season after years of futility in the 90’s. 

Alex Smith had 1 TD to 11 INTs in 9 games played his rookie season.

I’m not saying Dwayne will be an All-Pro, but I’m also not saying he’s a complete bust. Let’s give him time to get “it” and learn from his mistakes.

Today NFL is different, with all the big data and analytics you know right away of a player is going to be good. You may have have listed all of the exceptions to rule (even if you throw in Peyton Manning, who had flashes of being good his rookie year).  The vast majority QB’s don’t work out and the list would be endless if we compared it to yours. Look at Murray, he had a decent rookie year (not great), but you knew he was going to develop into franchise QB, same with all of the current NFL top tier QB’s.

8 hours ago, wtfskins said:

We played the #1 pass defense today.  He didn’t throw a interception and he got better as the game went on.  Let’s give the Cardinals some credit here.  Also let’s look at our system as a whole not just one player.  

I dont think it's useful to use rankings after one week.  The Cards didn't exactly play a strong passing offense in week 1.  

But regardless, playing along with your premise that the Cardinals D was a stiff test, Haskins left plays on the field due to his own deficiencies, particularly maintaining his mechanics and accuracy.  I dont wanna hear about the other side when our guy is just plain missing people and airmailing throws.  

If you're already behind the 8-ball with the talent around you, you cant afford to not take advantage of plays when they present themselves, and the only impediment to success on a play is your own execution.  It’s stuff like that that builds a reputation.  That even when it's messy and things aren't going great, you can make enough plays to give your team a chance.  He didnt do that yesterday.

And you're right, the whole system deserves a look, but this is also a thread on Haskins to specifically to talk about what HE'S doing.

• TK changed the title to FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State
  • PCS locked this topic