Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Actually Impressed You? (Week 1 Edition)

NoCalMike

1. Case Keenum was better out of the gate then I expected him to be.  That miss to McLaurin could have potentially been another house call, but besides that I thought he had a pretty solid game.  The last 70-80 yards and final TD pass were garbage time, but even taking those away, I think we can at least say that at least he could end up a serviceable QB until Haskins is ready.  

2. Terry Mclaurin.  Obviously the 70 yard TD catch/run, but he also caught everything else headed his direction including that tough sideline pass over a defender. He also likely has another house call if (see #1 above)  He did more in a single game to give me confidence than Doctson did his entire time here. 

3. Pass protection.  For the most part it held up pretty well.  The Eagles pride themselves on being able to collapse the pocket with only 4 down linemen, and I guarantee you that with Trent not playing, an old man in Penn starting in his place, and Erick Flowers next to him, they probably thought they'd have an easy time getting through.  Zero sacks.   

4. Vernon Davis.  That catch, the hurdle, the sprint to the endzone.  Another season where his role is suppose to be the back up but because of an injury prone starter, Davis continues to step up and make a difference. 

Impressed that AP hasn't already asked for a trade.

To add onto the comments about Case, he spread the ball around early.  Everyone got involved, I am pretty sure that not only did PRich and McLaurin have multiple catches early on, but Harmon, Sprinkle, Quinn, Guice and some others I'm forgetting caught balls, too.  I think that boosts morale, I think that gets people feeling good, I think that keeps the defense guessing.  Spreading the ball around like he did in the first half was excellent. 

16 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

3. Pass protection.  For the most part it held up pretty well.  The Eagles pride themselves on being able to collapse the pocket with only 4 down linemen, and I guarantee you that with Trent not playing, an old man in Penn starting in his place, and Erick Flowers next to him, they probably thought they'd have an easy time getting through.  Zero sacks.  

They did get a sack, just for the record. It almost ended up moving the Skins out of FG range.

As for what impressed me: McLaurin, Keenum, Tress Way, Guice's blitz pick-up on the 70 yd TD pass... Vernon Davis' athleticism and just out-manning like 4 Eagles defenders to get the TD, Penn and Teller--um, Flowers--looking serviceable (at least in pass pro), McLaurin's ability to get behind the defense--I guarantee Dallas will be taking notes on that.

Not much:

-Cole Holcomb plays with speed and intensity. 

-Kelvin Harmon could be a difference maker (if targeted). 

-Penn/Flowers weren’t liabilities.

What stinks? 

A lot:

-Coaching is tepid and very predictable. 

-Scoring plays (especially Davis) were fluky and not indicative of a well prepared offense.  

-CT is under-targeted once again.

-Defensive backfield is junior league. 

...and worst of all:

Gruden making ridiculous postgame excuses for another very Redskin performance. Gruden should be fired by midnight and Haskins named the starter by noon tomorrow. 

There’s absolutely nothing to lose. 

9 minutes ago, Enforcer_FFX said:

Flowers didn't get abused all game, as was assumed.

Holcomb was solid.

Great observation about Flowers.  Didn’t get his name called all game.  He played very well.  This is literally the first time I have ever complimented him.😯

Positives:

Team was ready to play, no doubt.

Keenum/wr corps exceeded all expectations.

Defense has the talent/speed to be effective against top competition.

Special teams...Good!

Negatives:

Penalties

Poise

Mamusky

Moses

And I was wrong about the Guice/Peterson thing.  Guice was game but left yards on the field.  Having Peterson as a threat could’ve won us the game.

Live and learn...

Keenum's 1st half was impressive although he began to taper off in 2nd quarter. His numbers got a little inflated by that last garbage time drive. Overall decent, better then one could expect in his situation. Maybe a B- performance.

The offensive line pass protection was surprisingly not awful. But a lot of that was absolved by their penalties. Lots of drive killers. Their run blocking was also pretty abominable. Overall maybe a C performance. 

Terry was as productive as one could have hoped for. Needed more consistency from everyone else however. Definitely looks like it could be better then last season.

J. Allen surprised the hell out of me. As soon as he left, Kerrigan, payne and Matt looked like relative nobodies. Doesn't bode well. 

Guice made some nice catches out of the backfield, but as a runner, deflating. First game as a pro isn't the end of the world but hopefully he can get it going. Unless gruden get's a brain and activates Peterson. 

The offense has a chance to compete this year. Speed combined (Terry, Paul, and Davis) with savvy (Reed and Quin) and physicality (Harmon and Reed again). Get the run game together and there’s a chance to be average. 

Very solid game by Keenum and eerily reminiscent of another #8. 

The defense will have stretches of dominance, can they maintain over a length of a game consistently is the key. 

Our young players showed some flashes. Guice's stats don't look good but he ran hard when he had some holes. McLaurin looks like he's gonna be a stud. SDH and some of our other young ILBs made some plays.

I think the passing game can work as long as Gruden remains aggressive. Keenum is mobile and can make throws. Sucks he missed McLaurin on that one big throw, could have changed the game, but oh wells.

Archived