Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Actually Impressed You? (Week 1 Edition)

NoCalMike

What impressed me the most was our group of young receivers, They showed speed, good hands and a real desire to get to the ball. I like that.

Case was a lot better than I expected, he showed a lot of poise in the pocket and appeared to be in control of the offense.

The O-line was far better than I expected in pass pro, although run blocking still seems to be a problem and the penalties (I'm looking at you Mr Moses) are still too high.

The D-line started out as good as advertised, but the loss of Jonathan Allen really changed the dynamic. I think that Settle is a good player, but the group as a whole lost its mojo once Allen went down.

Pam Oliver said that Allen was questionable to return, but then went on to say that they may bring him back in if needed, Well he was needed, so why didn't he come back? Maybe he was more injured than originally thought, IDK.

TE's played well without Reed and the kicking game was as solid as ever.

For balance I feel that I need to say what didn't impress me, even though the OP didn't request it.

Where were our OLB's? Kerrigan and Sweat were very disappointing, did they even suit up?

The DB's were schooled several times and had problems with DJax all game, although to be fair he is a very good receiver (eeeuw, I feel dirty typing that).

The coaches. I don't know all of their names but I'm calling them all out.

We were 17-0 up so they were obviously doing something right. Then Filthadumpia (kudos @skins island connection)  made some adjustments, we didn't, and the game totally changed.  WTF! WT ****ing F! If a dumb-ass English dude like me can see it, why can't they? Why don't we have a plan B to counteract their plan B? It's very frustrating.

Overall we played better as a team than expected, There are a lot of positives to take from the game, but as I said in the GDT, getting that early hope crushed was like getting kicked in the nads.

8 minutes ago, London Kev said:

The D-line started out as good as advertised, but the loss of Payne really changed the dynamic. I think that Settle is a good player, but the group as a whole lost its mojo once Payne went down.

Pam Oliver said that Payne was questionable to return, but then went on to say that they may bring him back in if needed, Well he was needed, so why didn't he come back? Maybe he was more injured than originally thought, IDK.

It was Allen not Payne 

I’m thinking he sprained his MCL

9 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

The execution in the first half was ridiculously impressive and I think everyone knew it would be hard to maintain especially when we never got the run game going.

McLaurin played great and I think Harmon having a 100% catch ratio and averaging 15 yards a catch was also positive, Quinn also making plays when given the opportunity.

What was also impressive is the way Philly immediately recognized the weak point in the defense when John Allen got hurt, they started running right at that spot and were gashing us.

Mentioned this in the game thread but yes, As soon as Allen went down their run game seemed to open up. Its amazing how important he is plugging up that middle. There were MASSIVE holes in that line at points in the 3rd & 4th qrt, it just seemed to get worse and worse as the game went on

Keenum was the best player in a Redskin jersey yesterday, that surprised and impressed me.   McLaurin also impressed, finally the Redskins may have drafted a good receiver.

The OL did a decent job of pass protection but can't run block worth a damn.  The defense was terrible especially the DL that is grossly overrated.  Wentz had all day to throw, enough time for even RGIII to find an open man time.  

I was impressed in the first half by a lot.  Then the 2nd half reminded me that it was a mistake not just blowing everything up.  This team at best is a .500 team.  At that point I was impressed at how this team looks at mediocrity as the ceiling. 

They should have taken the hit on Alex, traded away players like Trent (especially Trent), Kerrigan etc. etc.   Players they could get value for.  Stockpiled draft picks.  Fired Bruce and Jay.  Moved Kevin O'Connel into the Head Coach position to see if he had it.  Put a GM in place to build to future.

Other than all that Tress Way impressed me.  Im buying one jersey this year.  A Way jersey.  Seriously - just ordered it.

Something that was very different from last year.  The eagles had the ball late in the first half and we're getting the second half kickoff.  Last year, the eagles would have scored at the end of the half.  Yesterday, we held them and then had a 2 minute drive to end the half with a field goal.  

Archived