Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Actually Impressed You? (Week 1 Edition)

NoCalMike

2 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

1. Keenum was impressive, with that said if he hits the second bomb to McLaurin as opposed to overthrowing him, is that final drive for the game winning TD ? Think about it

2. Our entire WR Crew but in particular McLaurin is something special, Hands , Speed & athletic ability, kids got it all.

3. Oline was decent

After the bomb miss was a perfect pass dropped for a 1st down. He can't do it all. Even the best QBs miss a good one every now and then. 

Just now, Cougarrick said:

After the bomb miss was a perfect pass dropped for a 1st down. He can't do it all. Even the best QBs miss a good one every now and then. 

i Think he played great, I wan't trying to discredit his performance but alot of people are really down on this team because of the lead we gave up when in reality we were one pass away from actually winning this game.

There's a few things to be impressed with. But I'll just say this:

A car can go only as fast as the governor allows. A governor is a device that is placed on a vehicle by the manufacture to limit the car from reaching its potential speed.

Gruden and his staff are going to be the governor for this team. Reason? Because they worry to goddamn much about what ifs! You activated a guy that was on the waiver wire and deactivated a HOFer. Let that **** sink in....

Impressed

• Case at QB: Gives us hope to leave Haskins on the bench as long as possible to learn
  • OL pass protection: Speaks for itself

Not impressed

• Defensive coaching: More money on defense, more talent, another year with the same story. Manusky has to go
  • OL penalties: Stop it already. Stop
  • Running game: Guice looks to do more bobbing then he does hitting the hole as fast as possible. He needs to fix that
  •  

11 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I was impressed that DJax has not changed at all, over the years.

I was not impressed however, with his choice of wardrobe today.

What did he wear?

And really you weren’t pleasantly surprised by anything in the game?

The execution in the first half was ridiculously impressive and I think everyone knew it would be hard to maintain especially when we never got the run game going.

McLaurin played great and I think Harmon having a 100% catch ratio and averaging 15 yards a catch was also positive, Quinn also making plays when given the opportunity.

What was also impressive is the way Philly immediately recognized the weak point in the defense when John Allen got hurt, they started running right at that spot and were gashing us.

The Good:

McLaurin impressive all around game.

Keenum really good game. Maybe the best of his career?

Holcomb is going to be a beast. 

Tress Way should have already been in a Pro Bowl. He is on his way this year.

The Bad:

Dunbar is not a starting caliber NFL CB.

Moses is a penalty waiting to happen.

Where was the pass rush? None all game.

Norman gonna Norman.

The Ugly:

Coaching. Period.

3 hours ago, Rogue Jedi said:

They scored more points than I thought they would.

For me they were right within the upper limit of my guess as to their points per game this year, which was 20 points. To be honest, I don't really even count that irrelevant TD with 2 minutes to go. The Eagles basically let them dink and dunk down the field as long as they were chewing up the clock. Everyone knew it was over. In my mind they scored 20 points. 

As others have said: McLaurin looks great, Holcomb is going to be really good, I like Harmon, VD is ageless.

I am also really impressed at how completely clueless Greg Manusky is. I mean, I knew he was bad, but THIS bad. I'm not even mad, in fact, I'm impressed.

Gruden doubling down on stupid after the game with Peterson.  Amazing display of resilience. 

I'm not sure how it's palatable to anyone to listen to a head coach disparage a HOF-er that was your offensive MVP just last season.  To imply that you only have room for him when you plan to run from the I 55 times a game...AFTER your starting RB goes for less than 20 yards...I'm really confused as to why Gruden can't frame his decision in a way that isn't insulting to Peterson.  Him having 1000+ yards in this offense may be one of the best performances we've seen in this offense since Gruden was hired.

1 minute ago, megared said:

Gruden doubling down on stupid after the game with Peterson.  Amazing display of resilience. 

I'm not sure how it's palatable to anyone to listen to a head coach disparage a HOF-er that was your offensive MVP just last season.  To imply that you only have room for him when you plan to run from the I 55 times a game...AFTER your starting RB goes for less than 20 yards...I'm really confused as to why Gruden can't frame his decision in a way that isn't insulting to Peterson.  Him having 1000+ yards in this offense may be one of the best performances we've seen in this offense since Gruden was hired.

Pride has come ... eth. We know what is to follow.

Of course, that is the most misquoted quote in the history of quotes, so who’s to say what cometh. 

4 hours ago, Vanguard said:

What did he wear?

Green, as opposed to Burgundy ;)

4 hours ago, Vanguard said:

And really you weren’t pleasantly surprised by anything in the game?

Yes, I stated a couple things previously in the thread, and agree with a lot of what's been said.

But what stood out to me the most, was the impact that so many rookie draft picks and UDFA had, with many of them actually starting.

Moreland

Holcomb

Harmon

McLaurin

Sweat

Sims

What Impressed me:

In no specific order:

- Case Keenum: Played great.

- Cole Holcomb: Impressive for a 6th rounder rookie with tackling issue.

- McLaurin: Obviously.

- Davis: Hurdles mate!

And of course:

- Tress Way: Still can't believe the guy was snubbed for Pro-Bowl last year.

17 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

That's crazy. 2004?

Yep

2 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

What Impressed me:

- Tress Way: Still can't believe the guy was snubbed for Pro-Bowl last year.

And how responded to the penalty.

Philly accepted the penalty to force him to re-kick, since his first kick was so good.

So TW was like, "Oh you wanna take a penalty on us ? I'll just penalize you guys even more, with a bigger boot"

And so they ended up with worse field position than if they didn't accept the penalty.

25 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Green, as opposed to Burgundy ;)

Yes, I stated a couple things previously in the thread, and agree with a lot of what's been said.

But what stood out to me the most, was the impact that so many rookie draft picks and UDFA had, with many of them actually starting.

Moreland

Holcomb

Harmon

McLaurin

Sweat

Sims

I didnt hear Morelands (TPC!) or Sims' name called all game... Did they see the field?

Actual question.. I was at work and play by play reading most of the game save the redzone fun (early)

3 minutes ago, CowboyKillerz said:

I didnt hear Morelands name or Sims all game... Did they see the field?

Actual question.. I was at work and play by play reading most of the game save the redzone fun (early)

Moreland started in Game 1, which in and of itself, is awesome for a CB who was drafted in the 7th round. AND had 3 tackles.

Sims, who was drafted in the 8th round, started as a Kickoff Returner, and didn't do too shabby, returning 3 kicks, for a 15 yard average and a 19 yarder.

The game was such a muddled mess, the halves were so different, hard to recall the positives. But in general Keenum and the receivers impressed me, all of them. The defensive line dominated the Eagles the first half, second half not so much. The secondary is shaky to say the least. Was hoping to see more of Collins, don't recall seeing him make many plays other than one near the goal line.

Oh and completely agree with the OP about pass protection and Vernon Davis. I mentioned in the game thread how underrated Davis is. I feel like the first half of his career he was this big superstar TE, and the second half he is just steady Eddie still putting up numbers and being a great teammate. Love that guy.

Impressed with Case, the Oline pass protection and the young WRs.

Not impressed -- this defense was way over hyped.  Pass rush practically non-existent, secondary iffy,..outside of Holcomb flashing LBs looked confused.  Too many penalties and the running game was basically poop.

Archived