Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jordan Reed Is In Concussion Protocol

desertbeagle85

3 hours ago, Gibbit said:

He will go to another team, never have another concussion and win a ring

3 hours ago, zskins said:

If he wants to live longer he needs to retire. 

3 hours ago, skinsmania123 said:

That does seem the script for some Skins players but I am thinking he probably will retire.  Great talent. What a damn shame.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Please, when's the last time you saw a couple few ex-redskin players at a position of need win a superbowl with their new team?  😶🤡

Gonzales, Gates, Witten were all much better, actually blocked well (not wave arms at) and could take the punishment of NFL hits.  

When Honey Badger just got a ring, I find it easy to believe that Cardinals and Texans fans were sayin "Yep, we let another one go, just to get a SB ring !"

11 hours ago, Burgold said:

What sucks even worse for Jordan was that he was taken out with a dirty hit during a meaningless preseason game. It was unnecessary and ugly. I can't remember who did it, but I hope he was heavily fined and suspended.

Yeah, if a year later he is still in concussion protocol, he better hang up his cleats.

If he’s still in the protocol I would assume the Redskins can’t cut him without an injury settlement. I guess we are waiting to see if he clears the protocol but given he’s been in it for so long that’s got to be a serious concern for Jordan’s ongoing health and for the Redskins who could be on the hook for some percentage of his remaining contract (which has two years left to run). An injury settlement is normally based on how long the injury will take to heal - and clearly here I don’t see how anyone can even make a guess.

So therefore no reason for Reed to retire just yet - he might still have some more checks to cash.

EDIT

Found this on ESPN https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28724576/redskins-te-jordan-reed-concussion-protocol-almost-6-months-hit

“The Redskins do not have to reach an injury settlement with Reed in order to release him. If the Redskins do go ahead and release him, Reed could file a grievance, but because the concussion was a 2019 injury -- and he was paid -- he's not entitled to any money in 2020 because his contract is not guaranteed. But if the Redskins cut him before he's cleared and he doesn't play again, he could be entitled to extended injury protection because he has a contract for 2021 for around $600,000.”

That really sucks for J. Reed. The guy is a baller who was the only one that showed up in that playoff game against GB a few years ago. Love the guy but he just is a magnet for hits to the head, I really hope he retires for the sake of his own health. Hell if I were Dan I'd give him a big fat injury settlement just so he could retire, knowing what he put himself through in the service of this team.

I remember Reed's rookie camp in Richmond. I was behind the goalpost & Reed & Sleepy Davis were running pass patterns. Reed was like a gazelle, his stride was so smooth & quick compared to Sleepy. Plus it looked like Reed was wider & taller than Sleepy. I was surprised to see they are about the same size. But it was that smooth stride & his catches that impressed me. 

I hope he walks away. 

What a shame. Just a couple weeks ago, I went into a local restaurant with my kids, and the waitress said, "You just missed Jordan Reed, he was just in here." I must've been wearing a Redskins jacket or something, can't remember. Anyway, I asked, "How was he doing? How'd he look?" She said, "He seemed OK. He ate a lot of food." 

Sounds like something the previous Redskins medical staff might have said when evaluating the guy. (I keed, I keed.)

Anyway, with that amazing bit of insight from a local waitress, I thought I might be able to work up enough excitement to have some hope for a Reed Renaissance. Sad that's not to be. 

I remember hearing Shanny talking about him very early in his career, off the record, saying he was going to be one of the best TEs in the league very quickly. Amazing to think of what he could've accomplished if he'd been healthy. When he was on, he was virtually uncoverable and unstoppable. 

Obviously there's a big chasm between the two player situations I'm about to compare, but Reed's career reminds me in some ways of Sean's, as far as the unfulfilled promise caused by tragic situations. Obviously there's a big difference between still breathing and ... not breathing, but with all these concussions the poor guy has faced, there has to be big reason for concern about his future. 

1 hour ago, Dissident2 said:

What a shame. Just a couple weeks ago, I went into a local restaurant with my kids, and the waitress said, "You just missed Jordan Reed, he was just in here." I must've been wearing a Redskins jacket or something, can't remember. Anyway, I asked, "How was he doing? How'd he look?" She said, "He seemed OK. He ate a lot of food." 

Could be a sign he doesn't plan to be back.

Retiring from the NFL, especially for the TE position, can mean you change your diet to a more liberal one.

Or maybe that's how he normally eats, and it means nothing.

13 hours ago, MartinC said:

If he’s still in the protocol I would assume the Redskins can’t cut him without an injury settlement.

So there are all kinds of conflicting reports on this. That's what I thought also.  But then J.P Finley went on his podcast and said he talked to agents who said they can cut a player in the protocol, and that player is then eligible for a 1.2 million dollar injury payment. And gave some example of a guy from Arizona (I don't remember who). 

However, there was a conflicting Washington Post report which said you can't cut a player in the protocol, but he's expected to be cleared soon, and then will be released.  

There also might be guaranteed money for injury on the contract, which we don't know about.

The whole thing is a mess, and I've now listened to about 6 different radio/podcasts, and the only thing they all agree on is Reed will be removed from the 'Skins roster at some point, but they all disagree on the when, how, injury settlement, etc.  I don't think any of them are lying.  The way I read it is there is no information coming from the team, minus Ron's statement Reed was still in the protocol, so everybody is guessing and trying to figure out what the rules are.  Which, FWIW, is a refreshing change to the leaky ship we've had for ages.  

My guess is that you're probably right, and they can't release him while in the protocol.  (And that means JP is wrong, which is a little odd, because he's not often wrong on facts. So I'm confused by that.) So they are waiting to see if:

1. He just ups and retires

2. He is cleared so they can release him

And if neither of those things happen, then I think they have to work out an injury settlement.  And I THINK those rules are somewhat dictated by the CBA.  

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hoffman just checked into it.  His points:

A. Jordan should be cleared soon

B. He wants to play

C.  He wants a fresh chance to play elsewhere so he wants to be released

Not that I really keep track of this so I could be totally off here, but it would seem that Jordan is looking to break records for the longest time in the protocol.  The brain can only withstand so much.  Sounds like he needs saved from himself.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

B. He wants to play

He needs someone to give him much much better advice. No way he should continue playing.

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

B. He wants to play

If this is true, I can respect the fact that he still has the will to play and prove himself. But seriously, as this rate the guy's going to be a vegetable by the time he's 40. Just hang up the spurs, man. 

The guy can catch a concussion by sneezing too hard. He needs to relax. Retire.

I seriously hope we release him and he doesn't take his last hit while on our roster.

Interesting how many veterans are just completely finished with this team. I'm thinking some of it is the new regime is hard nosed and nobody wants to have to prove themselves all over in this environment, to which I say don't let the door hit ya. We've got a great young nucleus of players at important positions. Let Allen and Haskins take over as leaders.

We’re all gonna have a headache if this goes on much longer, although from a Redskins perspective it is better for him to be medically cleared whilst still under our watch. That’s our duty at present to see that through.

Thereafter he needs to be immediately released from his contract, given some strong medical and personal advice, and set on his way (If his desire is to continue playing).

What's sad is I think defenders target him due to his many concussions.  It's as if defenders' approach are to hit him as hard as they can as opposed to wrapping him up and simply trying to tackle him.  He has taken some vicious head shots in recent years.  You know DCs are talking to their players about taking Reed out of the game with a big hit.  I don't care about all that brotherhood crap some NFL players claim it to be.  For many, football is a blood sport equivalent to a type of warfare.

Jordan Reed needs to get out with whatever mental faculties he has left.  He is a prime candidate for having a potentially very difficult life going forward if not CTE. 

How does concussion protocol work in the offseason?  I mean, we knew he was still in it when the season ended at the end of December.  And he'd already been in it the entire season.  So the fact that 2 months after the season he's still in it shouldnt really be that surprising.  Four months, 6 months, either way, it's a long ass time.  

Once he fails to exit the protocol immediately after the season, how soon after does he get re-evaluated?  Especially since they turned over the medical staff.  During the season, he's basically getting frequent, if not daily, evaluations I would assume.  I'm guessing that doesnt happen in January and February.   But the independent neurologists are involved, so who knows how that works.

So my question is, how often would he be getting evaluated since the season ended to get cleared by doctors?  Maybe weekly, if that?

7 minutes ago, justice98 said:

So my question is, how often would he be getting evaluated since the season ended to get cleared by doctors?  Maybe weekly, if that?

Nobody knows the answer to this because the protocol is like fight club.  The first rule of the protocol is you do not talk about the protocol.  The second rule of protocol is you don’t talk about the protocol. You don’t talk about what it is, where it is, what takes place, when your in it or when you are out of it. 

20 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

B. He wants to play

So Trent, Jordan, and Quinton are gonna be cut away and form a Super Bowl team, practically by themselves.

Jordan gets another chance through Regenerative Medicine.

Archived