Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jordan Reed Is In Concussion Protocol


Recommended Posts

Not sure why we're rushing to release him. We have time. If we strike out on all the TE candidates, I would keep him. TE's don't grow on trees and until we have a solid option, we shouldn't look to get rid of someone who still has potential.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, primetime441 said:

Not sure why we're rushing to release him. We have time. If we strike out on all the TE candidates, I would keep him. TE's don't grow on trees and until we have a solid option, we shouldn't look to get rid of someone who still has potential.

 

Reed is my favorite player on the team, but he's not worth the cap hit or the time it takes to gameplan for a guy who's hardly guaranteed to be on the field.

I love the guy, but it's time for him to go.  If he's smart, then it's time to hang it up altogether.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

 

Reed is my favorite player on the team, but he's not worth the cap hit or the time it takes to gameplan for a guy who's hardly guaranteed to be on the field.

I love the guy, but it's time for him to go.  If he's smart, then it's time to hang it up altogether.

I agree, I'd rather have him retire but outright releasing him at this stage is silly. Correct me if I'm wrong, don't we have until June 1st to cut him without suffering the cap hit?

 

My point was, if we can't snatch a TE in free agency, we should at least give him a look. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, primetime441 said:

I agree, I'd rather have him retire but outright releasing him at this stage is silly. Correct me if I'm wrong, don't we have until June 1st to cut him without suffering the cap hit?

 

My point was, if we can't snatch a TE in free agency, we should at least give him a look. 

 

I see where you're coming from, and you're not being unreasonable.  I just think that giving him a look is a false sense of possibility, like looking at an awesome car that doesn't run anymore and thinking about keeping it in the garage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stadium-Armory said:

2015 was a magical season for him he was unstoppable for a hot minute. Hope he takes care of his noggin.

2016 too, until those final 4 games. He was unstoppable in our London game as i recall.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, primetime441 said:

I agree, I'd rather have him retire but outright releasing him at this stage is silly. Correct me if I'm wrong, don't we have until June 1st to cut him without suffering the cap hit?

 

My point was, if we can't snatch a TE in free agency, we should at least give him a look. 

You release him so he can find another team and you have more salary cap room going into FA.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

A man has to chart his own path. If Reed wants to play, keep him. Right now, he's in concussion protocol. But it's no different than a man continuing to work in coal mine when he knows he'll end it with possible respiratory issues or worse. Or a Soldier knocking down a door with the possibility of....(fill in the blank). Ideally Reed could take his money and live a reasonably comfortable life. But a man's dream and drive is a man's dream and drive. Let him be and hope for the best.

 

He can work in A coal mine, just not this one.  If he's lucky enough to find some other sucker to think he wont get quickly concussed again gave at it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am surprised by the number of people suggesting we keep him all of a sudden.  We plainly can't rely on him.  Let someone else take the risk.  He's also to big a cap hit for a chance.  Let him go.  If no one else signs him and we don't manage to acquire anyone, then I suppose we could bring him back for vet minimum

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say trade him.. but i dont think any other team is dumb enough to trade for his contract. At this point he will most likely have to settle for a prove it deal from someone else. I see Patriots as buyers to lure Brady back.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He's got talent but unfortunately hasn't been able to stay healthy.  Maybe one of the contenders could use him as a difference maker down the stretch, but it is right for the Skins to move on without Reid.  I wish him the best.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

He's got talent but unfortunately hasn't been able to stay healthy.  Maybe one of the contenders could use him as a difference maker down the stretch, but it is right for the Skins to move on without Reid.  I wish him the best.

I can see New England jumping at the chance to sign Jordan Reed for two reasons:

1). They won't care about his health (concussion history) in the least.

2). He's still young enough to be a productive TE if he can stay healthy.....huge IF there

 

As much as I like Reed, I wouldn't want to be the team to run him out there and see him get concussed again....that's blood I wouldn't want on my hands as an organization. Releasing him seems like the medically responsible thing to do based on what I know about concussions in the NFL. It's also the financially responsible thing to do for the organization. 

We are gonna be major players in free agency for a TE.....

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if we try to get something for him now that he's said he wants to keep playing.

 

I can't imagine what we would get but its worth a look and it may be why we haven't released him yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, carex said:

I am surprised by the number of people suggesting we keep him all of a sudden.  We plainly can't rely on him.  Let someone else take the risk.  He's also to big a cap hit for a chance.  Let him go.  If no one else signs him and we don't manage to acquire anyone, then I suppose we could bring him back for vet minimum

 

This!

I wanted him to be traded like 2 years ago when he had some sort of a value. The Skins have no option but to just let him walk and save the cap space. With more cap space they can get a more reliable TE is the free agency, if one is available. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

 

I see where you're coming from, and you're not being unreasonable.  I just think that giving him a look is a false sense of possibility, like looking at an awesome car that doesn't run anymore and thinking about keeping it in the garage.

Let's just call him "certified pre-owned" an awesome car which has potential of engine damage but he's far from "doesn't run anymore" imo. He had wiggle in the preseason game before going down. 

7 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

You release him so he can find another team and you have more salary cap room going into FA.  

Okay, but if we miss out on top TE's and have abundance of cap room remaining, why would we throw him away for nothing if he's better than the rest of free agent TE's out there?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd try to do the right thing which would be to sit down with him with doctors or trainers, explain the health risks, recommend he look after himself and then release him. I wouldn't try to trade him, I wouldn't try to use him, I push him to retire. I'm not sure if there's anyone on the team who he'd listen too. It took him nine months to get over his last concussion. I'm sure he feels young, strong, fast, and invincible again. At some point though, you have to listen to the warning signs your body is giving you.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Logan Paulsen shared some really great perspective on that last podcast by John Keim. Man, those Keim podcasts are always so good; and just so insightful about football. You come away knowing/understanding more (and also appreciating little things about players that you may have overlooked or taken for granted). Check out that podcast, Paulsen loves Reed, but had some interesting notions about how his body has set him up the parade of injuries. He also talked about some of the possible FA TEs available and kids from the draft. Interesting, as always.

 

PS - Was it Paulsen, I can't remember.............but I do know that I had to pull the car over when I heard one of our TEs on the radio say something like "they have to respect my speed". It was a few years ago, and I'm pretty sure it was him. I swear I couldn't hold the steering wheel I got so tickled. That was some funny stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, joeken24 said:

A man has to chart his own path. If Reed wants to play, keep him. Right now, he's in concussion protocol. But it's no different than a man continuing to work in coal mine when he knows he'll end it with possible respiratory issues or worse. 

 

Your analogy has not been Reed's reality.  To use it more accurately, Reed has been unavailable to work in the coal mine the majority of his career due to severe respiratory issues with the last 2 years being the worst.   It's considered insanity to keep doing the same thing expecting different results.  The odds are extremely great that he will receive another concussion probably from his first big hit.  Reed cannot help this team if he's not on the field and chances are extremely high that he won't be again this year.

 

Their decision to release him would be both personal (for his well being) and business (so their money could be better spent).  If he were my son, I would beg him to never play again.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

The timing is odd here.

 

One day he's said to still be in the protocol and the literal next day he's not anymore.

 

We've heard nothing about it for months, and then in two days we get back to back news hits.

 

Not sure what could be going on. But it's odd coincidence at the very least. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, primetime441 said:

 

Okay, but if we miss out on top TE's and have abundance of cap room remaining, why would we throw him away for nothing if he's better than the rest of free agent TE's out there?

Because you can’t keep a player on the roster at an $8.5 million dollar number with his injury history.  
 

If you want him back then you re-sign him if he’s available.

 

Also, he probably wants a new start elsewhere, so it benefits both sides. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • TK locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...