Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

image.thumb.png.1bca65b5de423cb34e8e8b9dfd087e09.png

Here's the current Skins' roster with players currently under contract. The Blue names are futures contracts.

Obviously there are some UFAs, RFAs that could return. But this is our roster. 

Great work here.

Becomes apparent that the Flowers and Scherrf resigning questions are huge.

If they walk and Williams does not come back, that leaves Roulier as the only lineman worth the starters role.

Martin and Moses will stick around and probably start due to necessity, but it is clear that OL is a huge question mark right now.

Lets break it down this way: (Groups listed in order of need)

Position groups look good as is: (Strongest to weakest)

P

DT

K

LS

DE (Will be obscene once we welcome Mr Young)

SS

C

Position Groups that are probably good, but would not hurt to upgrade:

- RB (This could be all set if you are confident in AP's age, and Guice and Love's health, but personally I am nervous)

- MIKE (Is HOlcomb going to be able to man the middle effectively? He may be better cut as an OLB with a high draft pick or FA acquisition going to MLB)

- WR ( IMOH we are set here, but I an understand the desire to bring in a solid Vet) ( I say forget a solid Vet, develop or bring in a play maker that will NOT be a distraction)

Position Groups that really need an upgrade: (Weakest to strongest)

- CB ( I love Dunbar, Moreou and Moreland, but Norman needs to go, and we need better depth)

- TE (THis is almost a dumpster fire, but Sprinkle and HH are both "Serviceable" ) ( we could use an upgraded starter, I am rooting for Hoope, FA from ATL)

- OLB (you cannot rely on Foster coming back) Need at least 1 more starter for the 4-3 to be set.

- QB ( I am fine with DH as a starter) (You will need a 3rd string, and if Alex does not recover a 2nd string) (I would be stunned if AS can make it back to the field) 

Dumpster Fire: (Weakest to strongest)

- G (Really hope we retain both Scheff and Flowers)

- T (Need to find 1 or 2 starters)

- FS (Say it aint so Monte!? He will be a RR example cut) (Apke could be serviceable if JDR can work magic with his speed, but I am skeptical)

- FB Not sure what to say here.

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

@crabbypatty, @Koolblue13, @KDawg.  Do you all look at Fowler in FA?

He's gonna want a mega deal, way north of 10mil a year. I'd pass. I was never sold on him coming out as being the next best thing, then the acl.. and while he's looked better than Clowney in some aspects, he's not the whole package worth the kind of money he wants or to warrant his draft status.. I'd pass.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Vic Beasley too, right?

Vic Beasley was a bit small/tweener if I remember right. Wasn't he a stand-up 3-4 OLB only? I think he'd be too small to be a 4-3 End.

Yanick Ngakue is the one DE I have circled. He's 25, went to UMD and is a prototypical 4-3 End. But that would likely mean we aren't taking Chase at #2. I expect us to spend our FA capital on CB, FS and TE (Plus re-signing / extending all of our OL).

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Vic Beasley was a bit small/tweener if I remember right. Wasn't he a stand-up 3-4 OLB only? I think he'd be too small to be a 4-3 End.

Yanick Ngakue is the one DE I have circled. He's 25, went to UMD and is a prototypical 4-3 End. But that would likely mean we aren't taking Chase at #2. I expect us to spend our FA capital on CB, FS and TE (Plus re-signing / extending all of our OL).

6'3 246 is a bit small for DE right? 

by comparison, Fowler is 6'3 267

If you are buying top of the line edge rushers in FA like Clowney, Yanick or even Fowler coming off a career season you are likely paying $15 million to 23 million a year.

To me that's another reason for not against Chase Young.  After QB, pass rushers are becoming the next out of sight position.  K. Mack got 23.5 million a year this year.

Getting potentially an elite pass rusher at a rookie contract for 4-5 years helps.  It's not quite QB salaries but its up there pretty high. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001025543/article/cowboys-demarcus-lawrence-agree-to-105m-deal

The stalemate is over and new standards have been set.

The Dallas Cowboys and defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence agreed Friday to terms on a five-year, $105 million extension with $65 million in guarantees, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport and Mike Garafolo reported, per sources informed of the deal.

That's the most guaranteed money ever for a non-quarterback. Lawrence's contract will include the highest first-year payout for a non-QB, sources tell Rapoport and Garafolo. The previous record for a defensive player was Khalil Mack's $31 million bill in 2018.

I have to watch more TEs but of the ones I've watched thus far, he'd be my top one.  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2020/01/16/nfl-mock-draft-2020-joe-burrow-lsu-first-round/4479915002/

Here's USA TODAY Sports' latest first-round mock draft after the title game:

1. Bengals — Joe Burrow, QB, LSU: A 15-0 record, Heisman Trophy, national title and record 60 passing touchdowns made for quite the single-season output. At the NFL level, though, Burrow's senior campaign will go down as what launched him from afterthought to clear front-runner for the No. 1 pick. Though Cincinnati's coaches won't get an up-close look at him as they work the Senior Bowl next week, there shouldn't be much mystery left about this selection.

2. Redskins — Chase Young, DE, Ohio State: Sure, new coach Ron Rivera hasn't tipped his hand as to how his priorities in Washington might translate to the top of the draft. It's almost unfathomable, however, that the Redskins would bypass the class' premier pass rusher for anything other than a colossal trade offer.

3. Lions — Jeff Okudah, CB, Ohio State:Tua Tagovailoa's entry into the draft creates an interesting dynamic at this slot, as a bidding war for a quarterback could benefit Detroit. Might some team offer a package similar to what the Jets conceded to the Colts in 2018 (three second-round picks) to move from No. 6 to No. 3? Okudah is hardly a consolation prize, however, as he's in a tier of his own at an all-important position.

4. Giants — Jedrick Wills Jr., OT, Alabama: New coach Joe Judge seemed to be channeling general manager Dave Gettleman when he vowed the Giants would employ an "old-school, physical mentality." That mentality might push them toward Wills, a surprisingly fleet-footed protector who erases opponents in the run game.

5. Dolphins — Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama: Maybe hip surgery won't leave Tagovailoa out of action until the draft after all. His agent, Leigh Steinberg, said this week he expects the quarterback to be healthy by April and participate in a throwing session for teams. The former point is more important than the latter, as medical questions should be the only reason the Dolphins should have pause on an otherwise alluring passer.

6. Chargers — Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon: As arguably the top prospect at the Senior Bowl this week, Herbert could amplify the buzz surrounding him by showing off his considerable physical tools. The Chargers have to be thinking about their future at quarterback — be it in the near or long term — as they move into their new digs, and the 6-6, 237-pound signal-caller has the downfield throwing aptitude to take advantage of Keenan Allen and Mike Williams.

7. Panthers — Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia:Luke Kuechly's surprising retirement makes Carolina's rebuild all the more imposing. A good first step in that plan would be providing the stability at left tackle this organization has lacked since Jordan Gross' retirement in 2014. Thomas fits the bill as a smooth blind-side protector who can also pave openings for Christian McCaffrey.

8. Cardinals — Isaiah Simmons, LB/S, Clemson: The national title game served as a showcase for how much Simmons can do, as he repeatedly disrupted plays by pressuring Burrow, closing in coverage and holding firm against the run from a variety of positions. That versatility should come in handy for an Arizona defense that yielded a league-worst 402 yards per game.

9. Jaguars — Derrick Brown, DT, Auburn: No one in college football dominated games on the interior in 2019 quite like Brown, who became a fixture in opposing backfields. With Marcell Dareus a seeming long shot to stick around due to his $22.5 million cap hit, Brown would give Jacksonville a promising player to pair inside with 2018 first-round pick Taven Bryan.

10. Browns — Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa: Cleveland is still on the hunt for a general manager to pair with Kevin Stefanski, but it's clear both the new coach and the organization want to provide more support for Baker Mayfield. That effort likely has to start up front, where the massively powerful Wirfs would be an immediate asset.

Rumor season starting.  If this is true, and got my doubts about it, I'd say to the Dolphins heck yes you got a deal. 

https://primetimesportstalk.com/2020/01/16/report-dolphins-trying-to-aquire-no-1-pick-to-select-joe-burrow/

The Cincinnati Bengals were awarded the No. 1 overall pick in the 2020 NFL draft after going 2-14 on the season. Many people are assuming that they will take LSU standout quarterback Joe Burrow with the first selection since they are looking for a replacement starting quarterback. However, there have been rumors that another team trying to tank for a starting quarterback may be sliding into the Cincinnati’s phone line to make a move for the pick. 

That team would be the Miami Dolphins, who are also looking for their new starting quarterback. What has been circulating has been a major trade deal that would forfeit multiple first-round picks for the chance of drafting Joe Burrow. The reports have the Miami Dolphins trading a similar package as follows.

Cincinnati Bengals would receive: 

• 2020 first-round pick (fifth overall)
  • 2020 first-round pick (18th overall)
  • 2020 second-round pick (39th overall)
  • 2021 first-round pick
  • 2021 third-round pick

Miami Dolphins would receive: 

• 2020 first-round pick (first overall)

This trade would ultimately give up most of the Dolphins’ first-rounders that they had accumulated this past year through trading their better players. This trade would also lock in the fact of the Dolphins rebuilding the team for the future through Joe Burrow. Originally, at the beginning of the season, the team was locked in on Alabama’s star quarterback Tua Tagovailoa and they will still be able to get him with the fifth overall pick. But with injury concerns to Tagovailoa, the team could use a handful of their assets to trade up in the draft and get a quarterback who has not dealt with injuries. 

6 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Has anyone thought about how beastly our defense could be if we signed Byron Jones and Tre Boston/Jimmie Ward in Free Agency and drafted Chase Young?

The talent on defense if you can get a healthy Foster at MLB would be insane.

Jones - Boston - Collins - Dunbar

SDH - Foster - Holcomb

Sweat - Allen - Payne - Young

Kerrigan, Anderson, Ionidis, Settle as backups to the Front 7

Draft some a speed guy in the secondary and a speed guy for the LB Core to pair with those 2 FA and Young ... my god.

Does anyone think Jordan Brailford, our 2019 draft pick makes this team?  He was an Edge guy in college.  Any chance he could be a LB'er for us? 

2020 NFL Draft rumors: Breaking down whether Panthers could trade for No. 1 pick to draft LSU's Joe Burrow

Why are these rumors starting?

Pretty simple, really, and it's outlined in what Danny said above. In the wake of Joe Burrow carving up some of the best defenses in the country, including Clemson on Monday night as LSU won the national title, the Panthers dipped their hands into the college ranks and hired Joe Brady, the wunderkind passing game coordinator for LSU who helped Burrow explode onto the scene in 2019 and win the Heisman and CFP title.

The connection to Brady and new Panthers coach Matt Rhule seemed a little tough to figure out, but it's worth noting Rhule lived in College Station and played at Penn State, and Brady coached there recently before making a jump to the Saints, his last stop before LSU. Brady is 30 years old, the youngest coordinator in all football. But his previous experience with Sean Payton and New Orleans OC Pete Carmichael, coupled with his work with Burrow this year, made him one of the hottest commodities on the market this offseason. Carolina wasted no time scooping him up.

Would the Bengals make this trade?..................

6 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Has anyone thought about how beastly our defense could be if we signed Byron Jones and Tre Boston/Jimmie Ward in Free Agency and drafted Chase Young?

The talent on defense if you can get a healthy Foster at MLB would be insane.

Jones - Boston - Collins - Dunbar

SDH - Foster - Holcomb

Sweat - Allen - Payne - Young

Kerrigan, Anderson, Ionidis, Settle as backups to the Front 7

Draft some a speed guy in the secondary and a speed guy for the LB Core to pair with those 2 FA and Young ... my god.

I would have to figure Ionidas would start ahead of either Allen or Payne.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If you are buying top of the line edge rushers in FA like Clowney, Yanick or even Fowler coming off a career season you are likely paying $15 million to 23 million a year.

To me that's another reason for not against Chase Young.  After QB, pass rushers are becoming the next out of sight position.  K. Mack got 23.5 million a year this year.

Getting potentially an elite pass rusher at a rookie contract for 4-5 years helps.  It's not quite QB salaries but its up there pretty high. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001025543/article/cowboys-demarcus-lawrence-agree-to-105m-deal

The stalemate is over and new standards have been set.

The Dallas Cowboys and defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence agreed Friday to terms on a five-year, $105 million extension with $65 million in guarantees, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport and Mike Garafolo reported, per sources informed of the deal.

That's the most guaranteed money ever for a non-quarterback. Lawrence's contract will include the highest first-year payout for a non-QB, sources tell Rapoport and Garafolo. The previous record for a defensive player was Khalil Mack's $31 million bill in 2018.

WOW!  That's a lot of $$$  Between Zeke, Lawrence and Dak coming up, The Cowboys are going to handcuffed financially. NO WAY are they going to be able to pay Amari Cooper or Byron Jones. 

20 minutes ago, VaK9Trainer said:

Does anyone think Jordan Brailford, our 2019 draft pick makes this team?  He was an Edge guy in college.  Any chance he could be a LB'er for us? 

He played some LB in college and has decent speed with 4.65 40 yard dash. However, he lacks lateral quickness and the hand technique to stack and shed blocks consistently. I didn't find much of any info on how he'd do in coverage, but he was said to be uncomfortable standing up as a WILL linebacker.

I wouldn't have thought of him as a candidate for WILL anyways though. Probably projects best as a SAM, but still would need heavy seasoning to get playing time.

Edit: PFF says he looked fluid in zone drops and when reading the field

OVERALL

Jordan Brailford has some exciting traits as a stand-up pass-rusher or potential convert to linebacker, but his injury history and small frame are cause enough to drop him down the board. His production is hard to overlook, but he wasn't often challenged by future NFL talent in the Big 12. A late-round selection and early spot as a rotational pass-rusher are most likely for Brailford.

PRO COMPARISON: Shaquil Barrett

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2824230-jordan-brailford-nfl-draft-2019-scouting-report-for-washington-redskins-pick

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Rewatching the VT vs UK bowl game and, pre-game, Lynn Bowden managed to sucker punch a VT defender and then shove his own coach who was trying to keep his dumbass from getting kicked out of the game.  He's a first class knucklehead.  No thanks.

Yikes.  Yeah, that’s a hard pass.  

5 hours ago, nonniey said:

I would have to figure Ionidas would start ahead of either Allen or Payne.

I would love this. Kerrigan wouldnmost likely be cut or trades in this senerio tho. But that would be a GREAT young defense. I'd be a very happy fan. 

5 hours ago, FrFan said:

Would the Bengals make this trade?..................

Edited 5 hours ago by FrFan

I keep hearing this is the deepest WB draft in millennia, so if there was a blockbuster trade offer, I’d do it IF there was a QB you thought could be a franchise guy behind Burrow and Tua.   

Im assuming Tua goes off the board at 5 to the Dolphins of there isn’t a trade up to get him, assuming health.  

It would be very interesting because then Cam becomes a FA, and Carolina has a lot more cap room. 

But to move up from 7 to 1 would take just an enormous amount of appo.  And I’m not sure if the Panthers have it.

Archived