Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Still not completely sold that Burrow’s skills will translate well to the pros. He had so many passes that depended on his guy winning his 1 on 1 matchup, with little to no safety help. Those opportunities aren’t going to be as prevalent in the pros. 

His arm strength is a legitimate concern. 

20 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

I think the tutelage of Zampese will be an incredible resource for the young man. That, coupled, with Turner's support and tutelage should hopefully get him (and keep him) on the right track. Turner really helped to develop Bridgewater.

I think so too.  One of the problems with the culture of the Redskins under Allen was just how high strung everyone in the damn building was.  Way too many distractions, from top to bottom.  Way too much infighting.  I listen to Rivera, Turner, and Zampese in interviews and just feel relieved.  I feel like we finally have some steady personalities in charge who are just more professional and focused.  It may not seem like much, but pair that with expertise and you get the foundation for a good culture.  Haskins is super green, and hungry almost to a fault.  He wants to be great right away, to the point where it makes him a bit nervy and effects focus.  I think this staff will be good for keeping him grounded in the here and now and keeping him confident.

Very impressed with what I've seen from Logan Stenberg in the few Kentucky games I got to see.  Got himself benched in the VT bowl game for taunting, so there might be some knucklehead factor there.  But he's very good.  Massive player.  One of the first things that jumps out about Kentucky when you watch them is how enormous their lines are.  Stenberg fits that mold, and he should measure favorably with Becton and the Georgia guys.  He runs fairly well for his size.  Should be an imposing run blocker and road block in a power scheme.  Solid puller.  Don't love him in a zone scheme though.  He's better going forward than sideways, as it takes quite a bit of gathering for him to change the direction of all that size and mass.

I think there is a little bit of position versatility there too since he does have genuine tackle size.  That certainly wouldn't be the ideal position for him, but he could be an emergency tackle if you needed him to be.

My gut feeling is late second to third round draft value with him.  But given the way Becton has climbed and the high regard given to the Georgia OLs, it's clear that the NFL places a very high value on top percentile OL size.  It wouldn't shock me if Stenberg got drafted earlier than I've guessed.

Looking at the list of underclassmen who've declared, these are the OTs:

- Jedrick Wills

- Ezra Cleveland

- Andrew Thomas

- Isaiah Wilson

- Tristan Wirfs

- Saahdiq Charles

- Mekhi Becton

- Trystan Colon-Castillo

- Austin Jackson

Nine tackles is quite a list, especially since the senior class with Trey Adams, Josh Jones, the two Auburn guys, Lucas Niang, and Throckmorton is pretty good.

That pick at 66 is looking really good right now.  I think we are in position to get a really good tackle prospect at that spot.  Someone with genuine starting potential who easily would have gone in the second round in thinner classes.

I just have a good feeling about this draft and the young players we have on the team right now.  We're not going to be Superbowl contenders next year, but I think we could experience a quick turnaround if we spend our FA dollars well and get long term solutions at DE and OT with our first two picks.

16 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Very impressed with what I've seen from Logan Stenberg in the few Kentucky games I got to see.  

I'll take a look at him.  Speaking of Kentucky, I've touted Bowden several times on this thread.  I don't recall any takers?   To me he's a fun weapon if he drops to the third which he might not.  You can use him like how NO uses Hill as sort of a gadget RO change of pace QB.  You can use him as a RB, slot receiver, returner.  Sweeps. Screens.  He's a do it all weapon. 

https://twitter.com/BradKelly17/status/1214427579257626625?s=20

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'll take a look at him.  Speaking of Kentucky, I've touted Bowden several times on this thread.  I don't recall any takers?   To me he's a fun weapon if he drops to the third which he might not.  You can use him like how NO uses Hill as sort of a gadget RO change of pace QB.  You can use him as a RB, slot receiver, returner.  Sweeps. Screens.  He's a do it all weapon.  

He's incredibly dynamic.  I just watched him gash VT over and over again.  He's got real speed and top end ability to change gears and directions.  But something about the kid rubs me the wrong way.  Too knuckleheaded and easily distracted.  I posted last night about how he almost got himself thrown out of the bowl game for throwing a punch in the pregame and shoving his coach.  The broadcast team mentioned that he kept talking about the drama with VT in the production meetings too, and didn't seem focused on the game before him.  And all of the chirping with the VT players during the game and some of the antics just gets old.  I get this vibe from him that he's going to be difficult to coach and distracting.

11 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's incredibly dynamic.  I just watched him gash VT over and over again.  He's got real speed and top end ability to change gears and directions.  But something about the kid rubs me the wrong way.  Too knuckleheaded and easily distracted.  I posted last night about how he almost got himself thrown out of the bowl game for throwing a punch in the pregame and shoving his coach.  The broadcast team mentioned that he kept talking about the drama with VT in the production meetings too, and didn't seem focused on the game before him.  And all of the chirping with the VT players during the game and some of the antics just gets old.  I get this vibe from him that he's going to be difficult to coach and distracting.

I hate a team with low character, but at some point the talent becomes worth it. 

I’m sure he’s not much of a bass blocker, but could he give us some of what Thompson has given us in the past?

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Still not completely sold that Burrow’s skills will translate well to the pros. He had so many passes that depended on his guy winning his 1 on 1 matchup, with little to no safety help. Those opportunities aren’t going to be as prevalent in the pros. 

Accuracy and touch and toughness and awareness and leadership are key traits in the success of an NFL QB and Burrow is as good in all these things as you'll find.  It's true that he'll need WR talent to throw to at the next level, but that's true of anyone really.  Give him personnel and he has proven that he can utilize them because he sees the whole field so well, he avoids pressure as well as anyone, and he puts the ball on the money.  Cincy actually has some good receivers too.  If they can keep Green, he's a HoFer.  Tyler Boyd is a really good player and John Ross has the potential to be a superstar.  They've got the ingredients of a good run game too.  I think they can get good with a playmaker like Burrow running the show.

Arm strength is a powerful tool, but it's not everything.  I think Burrow can be an outstanding player at the next level.

25 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Ok I missed that post.  Yeah he's a bit of a trash talker (so is Rivers among other players in the NFL) and feisty on the field.  He's got some Gary Clark in him would be the most positive spin on it.

I'd trust Kyle and company to dive into that and decide.  But as a pure playmaker, he's incredibly dynamic and versatile.   You put him in the backfield on third down, he could take a draw, sweep -- line up wide and catch a screen or heck he can take a toss and then throw the ball himself.   Talk about keeping teams guessing near the goal line, etc. 

https://hailvarsity.com/s/569/lynn-bowden-one-of-the-best-his-coach-has-ever-seen

The downside to the lack of offers and communication from Ohio State and Michigan are the rumors that have surfaced as a result. Many questioned whether or not Bowden had poor character or was surrounding himself with the wrong people, both of which Arnold quickly denied.

"I don't know how that rumor got started about him,” Arnold said. “I don't know if it’s just because he has a lot of tattoos or what the deal is but he has never had any problems with the law, he gets along with his teammates, he gets along with his teachers. That's why whenever teams ask me about Lynn's character, I tell them to go talk to his teachers. He is not a character risk whatsoever."

Whichever school does snag Bowden though will have to consider what position will best quit him. According to Arnold, quite a few are looking for ways to utilize his explosive skill set.

"[Bowden] is being looked at mostly as a wide receiver and kick returner,” Arnold said. "We timed him last spring as a 4.38 40-yard dash. He's got long arms and is explosive, so he has all the tools to be a great wide receiver."

Arnold also stated that besides great talent, Bowden also possesses the intangibles that separate great players from the rest of the pack.

"Besides his god given abilities, Bowden has all sorts of qualities that make him unique,” Arnold said. “[Bowden] is a fierce competitor who hates to lose at anything and his football IQ is off the charts."

https://www.si.com/college/2019/12/31/lynn-bowden-kentucky-punches-virginia-tech-player-pregame-belk-bowl

Kentucky quarterback Lynn Bowden apologized for his actions before Tuesday's Belk Bowl when ESPN's cameras appeared to show him punching Virginia Tech defensive tackle DaShawn Crawford.

Dick Gabriel, the sideline reporter for the UK Radio Network, also reported a punch had been thrown toward BowdenTech, and if I could go back, I wouldn't do it."

12 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I hate a team with low character, but at some point the talent becomes worth it. 

I’m sure he’s not much of a bass blocker, but could he give us some of what Thompson has given us in the past? 

He's more dynamic than Thompson IMO.  He's bigger and looks much more capable of handling a big workload.  He's got some Percy Harvin in him as a player.  Not as fast, but similar fluidity and ability to flip his hips and change platforms in second and third gear.  He's a patient runner, but always purposeful, and he goes north-south.  It's why his YPC numbers are so awesome.

What he did this year to get so many rushing yards won't translate to the NFL.  No team would run a Taysom Hill type at QB full time.  He won't get more than a couple of direct snaps a game.  But the ball carrier vision and ability to turn any play into a punt return should translate as a WR/RB hybrid doing the kind of stuff that @Skinsinparadise mentioned.

I didn't love the sucker punch or the unsportsmanlike attitude on the field.  But seeing him shove his own coach, who was just trying to keep him from getting himself kicked out of the game really rubbed me the wrong way.  It made him look like he is difficult to coach.

Kentucky as a whole was a really emotional and undisciplined team.  They play with an edge, but they also do a lot of stupid stuff that hurts themselves.  Bowden really embodied the attitude of the team.

11 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Accuracy and touch and toughness and awareness and leadership are key traits in the success of an NFL QB and Burrow is as good in all these things as you'll find.  It's true that he'll need WR talent to throw to at the next level, but that's true of anyone really.  Give him personnel and he has proven that he can utilize them because he sees the whole field so well, he avoids pressure as well as anyone, and he puts the ball on the money.  Cincy actually has some good receivers too.  If they can keep Green, he's a HoFer.  Tyler Boyd is a really good player and John Ross has the potential to be a superstar.  They've got the ingredients of a good run game too.  I think they can get good with a playmaker like Burrow running the show.

Arm strength is a powerful tool, but it's not everything.  I think Burrow can be an outstanding player at the next level.

I agree that Burrow is top notch in a variety of traits that translate well to the next level.  I'm not saying he will be a bad QB, or even that he won't eventually be great.  I'm just saying I have reservations based on his below average arm-strength (for a starting NFL QB).  Tight-window intermediate throws outside the numbers will likely be a struggle for him.  

Don't get me wrong though.  There have been many successful QB's with average or below average arm strength who have found success in this league.  Many of those players had elite mental processing speed to make up for that flaw.  I think Burrow can eventually get there; but it's going to take some time before he can consistently out-fox defenses to make up for pedestrian arm strength like a Manning or a (35+ year old) Brees and Brady.

Was watching the LSU OL vs Auburn cut ups and saw this happen to my guy Damien Lewis.  😲

giphy.gif

Derrick Brown has some Quinnen Williams in him.  I think I've overlooked him some because of how stacked we are at DT.  I can see why people are putting him in the same tier as Chase Young and Simmons and Okudah.  Looks like he's better than the WR and OTs in the class.

I'll probably try and do an evaluation on him and Madubuike soon.  Kinlaw too.  Looks like a pretty good first and early second round crop of DTs but not a crazy one like last year's.  This will probably be one of the few instances where I'd ignore BPA and avoid the position though, as it will be hard for us to find upgrades who will get a chance to play here given the caliber of talent we already have on the roster.  Five deep in quality.  We're already going to have to cut someone whose good.

4 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Thoughts about KJ Hamler? Looks faster than his reported 4.43 timed speed and also looks like he tracks the ball well. Tiny though. 

Tiny, but a true waterbug athlete at the position.  Kind of surprised he went pro, as I think he could have been a star in the Big 10 and win some awards if he played his senior year.  I think he's going to go higher than I'd feel comfortable drafting him though.  I've seen mocks putting him in the second round, and I just wouldn't feel good about taking a 5'9 175 pound player that high.  We already have Steven Sims in his role, and while Hamler is a better athlete than him, I wouldn't really want to make Sims redundant with an early draft pick.  If we get a slot-type weapon, I want someone who can block.  I want to take advantage of Love's and Guice's ability to hit home runs on zone runs and would love to have a real bulldog of a receiver blocking from the slot.

He's a fun player to watch though.  Major deep threat and run after the catch weapon.  His speed out of his breaks is awesome.  I can believe that his 40 is "only" a 4.43 since he doesn't necessarily blow you away as a straight line runner.  But his short area burst and ability to change gears is elite.  He's a helter-skelter runner that is incredibly creative.  He'd really help the return game too, in addition to all of the value he brings to the table as a deep threat.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Agree.  I'd pass on him too for the reasons you listed.

The only reason he wasn't tossed out of the Belk Bowl vs VT was because his punching of the VT player occurred 90 minutes prior to kickoff and the NCAA doesn't take jurisdiction of the field until 60 minutes prior.  Weird rule, but that loophole is the only reason he played in the game.

16 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Was watching the LSU OL vs Auburn cut ups and saw this happen to my guy Damien Lewis.  😲

giphy.gif

Derrick Brown has some Quinnen Williams in him.  I think I've overlooked him some because of how stacked we are at DT.  I can see why people are putting him in the same tier as Chase Young and Simmons and Okudah.  Looks like he's better than the WR and OTs in the class.

I'll probably try and do an evaluation on him and Madubuike soon.  Kinlaw too.  Looks like a pretty good first and early second round crop of DTs but not a crazy one like last year's.  This will probably be one of the few instances where I'd ignore BPA and avoid the position though, as it will be hard for us to find upgrades who will get a chance to play here given the caliber of talent we already have on the roster.  Five deep in quality.  We're already going to have to cut someone whose good.

Kinlaw is very good, its funny some draft places say he has an effort issue when in reality his weakness is that he can burn himself out. He needs to better pace him.

Dude is really big and really strong, and when he can't get to the QB is very good at knocking passes down. Obviously we don't need him, but he is going to help someone out and quickly too

1 hour ago, Skins199021 said:

I still wouldn't be upset if we took Tua. Still a way better QB prospect coming out than Haskins was. Be kind of nice having Tua in the back pocket. I can't just look at Haskin's two games against awful pass defenses and ignore the rest of his season and what I saw.

Glad you posted this as I was thinking the same thing. Not really impressed with Haskins but he did not have the best start that he could have. I really would like more than 1 player with our #2 pick. Say trade Haskins and or Sweat for more draft capital. What would Haskins be worth now. Do we really need Sweat if we have CY? Can someone work out a trade where we get Tua and CY? Cheers.

When asked how this shifted the landscape, one general manager whose team doesn't need a quarterback said: "This class really looked like one you could wait on a quarterback in. Sure, Miami maybe would have drafted one at five overall, but now the pressure will be to trade up and secure your guy."

The trade-up scenario is important to explain. The draft order has the Lions at No. 3, the Giants at No. 4, the Dolphins at No. 5, the Chargers at No. 6 and the Panthers at No. 7. The Giants aren't drafting a quarterback after using a top-10 pick on Daniel Jones last year, so why do teams need to jump them? To make sure no one else does.

Some are already speculating that Washington could make the second pick available as well, but from what I've heard, that won't happen. Young is the best pass-rushing prospect maybe in the last decade, and there's a need there.

Parting Shots

10. The most common question on Twitter this week was some version of, "What would it cost for the Bengals to trade out of No. 1 overall?"

This is understandable. Burrow is a very good quarterback prospect, and a lot of teams are going to want a chance at him. But it takes two to tango, and the Bengals would have to want to trade out of the chance to draft an instate player from nearby Athens and someone whose family is connected to head coach Zac Taylor through the Nebraska alumni network.

Could they trade back? Absolutely. But a team with a need at quarterback and this many connections to Burrow should be expected to draft him.

How about No. 2 overall? The same goes for the Redskins and Young. He's local (from Hyattsville, Maryland) and is the type of player at a premium position you don't pass on.

As said above, the draft starts at No. 3.

Archived