Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Willing, but not strong.  He can lay the wood on an unsuspecting ball carrier but for guys who are ready for him like that, he loses those battles like you'd expect to see with a cornerback.

He covers and moves like a cornerback, too which I mean as a complement.  But i agree he's a willing tackler but doesn't seem to have the heft-muscle needed to take certain players down.

I notice a lot of draft geeks label him as a strong safety who needs to improve his coverage skills.  That's crazy IMO.   At least in the game I was glued into, McKinney was playing most often purely free safety, man-free, cover 1.  Some cover 3.   Some cover 2.  He played some slot, too.

I was impressed by him because I watched his movement even when he didn't make a play and he anticipated the pass plays really well.  Plus Saban's safeties almost have to be smart dudes to play his scheme and please him. 

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah just caught this, that's wild. 

Yeah, I wonder if teams stop investing significant resources into the MLB position at some point. Seems like the position with the most early retirees by far in recent years:

Also Chris Borland 

8 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This sport is crazy.  If it's still around in 30 years, it will look nothing like it does today.

I think eventually the NFL will have a defined window of eligibility, like 5 years then you are done.  I don't think it will ever go away entirely, bc even with all the info available, there will always be ppl hungry for the money, fame, and competitiveness to play now and suffer the consequences later.

43 minutes ago, Skinsota said:

Yet the owners were drooling over the possibility of 18 games. 

Criminal 

There's no end to their greed and the lengths to which they will exploit their golden goose. Thursday Night Football and the way it infringes on the players' ability to recover, the players whose safety they care so much about (aka covering their asses), is enough to show that. And that's not even addressing the quality of the on-field product. 

Ironically if you had asked me to name one defensive stud that reminded me of Andrew Luck, I would have said Luke Keuchly without hesitation. So this is both surprising and unsurprising, in that way.

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

There's no end to their greed and the lengths to which they will exploit their golden goose. Thursday Night Football and the way it infringes on the players' ability to recover, the players whose safety they care so much about (aka covering their asses), is enough to show that. And that's not even addressing the quality of the on-field product. 

Ironically if you had asked me to name one defensive stud that reminded me of Andrew Luck, I would have said Luke Keuchly without hesitation. So this is both surprising and unsurprising, in that way.

The NFL is always last when it comes to solutions. Helmet technology commercials coming out on the NFl network show they are now trying, but Hello, it took private companies doing research for over a decade to get them to act. Without their funding.  Again, criminal. 

I don’t believe the NFL will ever go to 18 games, but I don’t think they will ever admit it either. Doing so, they would admit that they were wrong on player safety. 

College targeting rules are the best way to save the players.   It is not only to help the receiver of the hit, but the deliverer. 

The Thursday night games, as you mentioned, are disgusting from a player safety perspective. 

Hey @volsmet, any thoughts on the other TE Bryant?

PFF:

BEST RUN-BLOCKING TE: HARRISON BRYANT, FAU

Bryant finishes as arguably the most well-rounded tight end at the FBS level, as he also led in receiving grade and overall grade. FAU running backs averaged more than 2.0 yards before contact when rushing around the tight end spot this season.

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-best-at-everything-on-offense

Of course, I’ve also read he’s not a very good run blocker, lol.

I’d like to see the Boilermaker, Hopkins, make it to our 3rd rounder...

19 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Kuechly retiring is wild, he's right at the peak of his prime right now. 

First guy he thanked was Rivera. Luke is a super smart dude, I hope he takes the year off and Rivera calls him up and offers him a job in the 2021 season. 

Funny, I was thinking along those lines myself in regards to Luke.

Man you Tua guys are making the idea of drafting Tua unbearable!

And don’t get me started on Young! Too trendy!

:ols:

I love how everyone looks at everything so different because we get annoyed at things but ultimately we agree for the most part, but we sure as hell will make sure we make it clear we don’t like it :ols:

36 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Man you Tua guys are making the idea of drafting Tua unbearable!

And don’t get me started on Young! Too trendy!

:ols:

I love how everyone looks at everything so different because we get annoyed at things but ultimately we agree for the most part, but we sure as hell will make sure we make it clear we don’t like it :ols:

I think a lot of us see Tua and think RGIII. We worry if Tua's body can't survive the college game how will it possibly hold up in the pros.

5 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think a lot of us see Tua and think RGIII. We worry if Tua's body can't survive the college game how will it possibly hold up in the pros.

I don't see RG3 in Tua...

At all.

Tua is an absolutely perfect prospect (which, I bolded prospect because that doesn't always mean he can do the one thing people neglect in QB evaluations... lead professional men and inspire them). Arm, accuracy, mechanics, reads, good enough mobility. He checks every single box from a physical intangible point of view.

Griffin did not. He checked the speed, arm strength boxes. But a lot of us had no idea that he didn't read anything in college in Baylor's system. He just didn't read. He was about as pro ready as Haskins was. And Haskins has better physical tools than Griffin.

The other factor a lot of us neglected at the time is leadership ability. Haskins, to this point, has NOT shown he can lead men. And Griffin certainly didn't. 

That's what we don't really know about Tua or Burrow. And it's tough unless you're sitting in a room with them and talking to them. Their teammates are probably going to say all the right things. Their coaches will, too, because they like them or they fit what was needed on a college campus. 

I'd like these interviews to include current players. Where they get to know these prospects and feel them out a little. The quarterback position is so different from any other position. 

If you look at the quarterbacks left in the playoffs this year, for instance, two of them aren't any physically better than Kirk Cousins. One is an all-time great, but has picked and chosen his spots this year. The other is a generational (legit) talent. But the one thing all of them bring that the Redskins haven't seen in decades upon decades at the quarterback position is leadership. Their teammates believe in them.

The Niners believe in Jimmy G. The Titans believe in Tannehill (Tannehill hasn't physically looked much better than Mariota in previous seasons, in my opinion, but he provided something Mariota didn't, and his team played better because of it.... which makes him the better quarterback and its not even close, in my opinion). Rodgers is Rodgers. They believe in him even if he's a bit prickly. His teammates know he shows up and works hard. And that Chiefs team loves Mahomes.

Sure, some of them have some absolute top of the line physical skills to go with it. 

But charisma and work ethic are often overlooked in quarterback evaluations.

And it's tough for us, on our couches, to measure that without being inside or knowing the locker room temperature. 

You don't see him even in context of the mobile qb who gets injured a lot? That's the main thing that links Tua to RGIII in my mind and that stands independent of all the other attributes. I can just envision Tua being great on the field, but never completing a season.

5 minutes ago, Burgold said:

You don't see him even in context of the mobile qb who gets injured a lot? That's the main thing that links Tua to RGIII in my mind and that stands independent of all the other attributes. I can just envision Tua being great on the field, but never completing a season.

Quarterbacks are tough to judge with injuries. 

His stock has dropped in my eyes because of it. But that's partially because we've been burned with so many injury prone players. I am gun shy with them. But I can't fault others for looking at his talent and saying, "yup."

Just watched some Harrison Bryant.  Decent. Not bad.  FAU didn't have the stiffest competition with some exceptions.  He looks the part.  I get some like Hunter Bryant, he's a good receiver (easily the best TE receiver among the 4 I've watched so far), but to me he looks and sometimes plays too much like a receiver.  I want a well rounded dude who can do it all.   I like Cole Kmet on that front better that Harrison or Hunter, not that I am blown away by Kmet. 

Harrison is a willing blocker and has the size and the mentality to improve on it.  He has long arms.  He's a bit of a clunky blocker, not very fluid, and he isn't per se a bull dozer but he has his moments, the clip below (he's #40) is a good one. 

As a receiver, he's decent.  Not great but he has his moment.  They use him from what I can tell often in short out routes, he's not bad up the middle with crossers, digs.  Played out of the Y a bunch. Decent hands.  He's decent in open field with YAC but nothing special.

I've watched now four of the TEs.  They all strike me in the 3rd-5th round types.  All have potential but they don't blow me away.  I'd take Harrison Bryant in the 4th and wouldn't mind the pick.  He's a big dude who has some potential so good coaching IMO can polish him up.

Archived