Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

What could have been... this defense badly needs a FS with even half of Minkah's aggressiveness and instincts.

I wanted to draft him so badly, even move up and I wanted him, while he was on  the block. Easily one of thee best defensive players in the league. Toss up between him and Adams for best DB. Damn that video was fun.

PFF weighing in on the off season. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offseason-needs-for-all-32-nfl-teams-2020

WASHINGTON REDSKINS: RUNNING MATES FOR TERRY MCLAURIN AND QUINTON DUNBAR

Secondary needs: offensive line, tight end

The Redskins had one elite player at both wide receiver (McLaurin) and cornerback (Dunbar) this season. That’s a good start, but the problem was that the remaining players at each of those positions left a lot to be desired. McLaurin had an 85.7 PFF receiving grade, one of the highest marks that we’ve seen from a rookie wide receiver in the PFF era. No other wide receiver had a grade higher than 65.0. Similarly, Dunbar ranked second among all cornerbacks in coverage grade (89.5) to only Richard Sherman, but no other Redskins’ cornerback topped 65.0. Getting some depth at those positions should be a priority for Washington.

The offensive line had a decent season without its best player, Trent Williams. The unit finished 13th in the final PFF offensive line rankings, but its top-ranked offensive lineman from this season — Brandon Scherff — is set to be a free agent, and there are still questions at the tackle position given the age of Donald Penn and the regressing play of Morgan Moses. Tight end also becomes a spot to attack, with Jordan Reed missing the entire 2019 season and playing just over 700 snaps in the past three years due to injury.

1 hour ago, VaK9Trainer said:

Anyone know where Joe Reed, WR from Virginia is projected to go in the draft? 

Looks like a 6th - udfa projection heading into the Shrine game.

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The offensive line had a decent season without its best player, Trent Williams. The unit finished 13th in the final PFF offensive line rankings, but its top-ranked offensive lineman from this season — Brandon Scherff — is set to be a free agent, and there are still questions at the tackle position given the age of Donald Penn and the regressing play of Morgan Moses. Tight end also becomes a spot to attack, with Jordan Reed missing the entire 2019 season and playing just over 700 snaps in the past three years due to injury.

Incredible.

oh man, so many holes. Guess some will be filled in FA and the rest in the draft or not at all.

LT, TE, RB, CB come to mind immediately. I wonder what RBs have mid-round grades who could be Alfred Morris type finds. Like somebody else said, AP a year older. Guice I hope for, but don't plan on ever being healthy, then Love coming off his injury and a year off. Thompson is gone. Need players who have little to no history of injury. 

Just now, @SkinsGoldPants said:

oh man, so many holes. Guess some will be filled in FA and the rest in the draft or not at all.

LT, TE, RB, CB come to mind immediately. I wonder what RBs have mid-round grades who could be Alfred Morris type finds. Like somebody else said, AP a year older. Guice I hope for, but don't plan on ever being healthy, then Love coming off his injury and a year off. Thompson is gone. Need players who have little to no history of injury. 

OLB is one of the biggest holes on the team, in my opinion.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

OLB is one of the biggest holes on the team, in my opinion.

You don't say?  :D 

Seriously though, when thinking about Simmon vs Young Steve made a great point. Simmons doesn't play nasty and has been able to rely of freak athleticism his entire career, where as Young has a pedigree and a know hard study and extra practice kind of player, which is what makes the great, goats.

1 minute ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Good point. Going to 4-3. Who are your OLBs?

Anderson, Foster and SDH

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Anderson, Foster and SDH

If Del Rio plays 4-3 underfront as some say he prefers, you'd have the OLB play close to the line of scrimmage so it would ironically have a similar look to a 3-4 at times.  If they kept Kerrigan, he Young, Sweat can interchange at OLB in some fronts.   That's what Del Rio did at times with Von Miller. 

So at OLB that can probably platoon-rotate some players.  75% or so of the game is nickel now so you'd often only have two linebackers on the field most of the time anyway.    

defensestacking.png

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

You don't say?  :D 

Seriously though, when thinking about Simmon vs Young Steve made a great point. Simmons doesn't play nasty and has been able to rely of freak athleticism his entire career, where as Young has a pedigree and a know hard study and extra practice kind of player, which is what makes the great, goats.

Anderson, Foster and SDH

Simmons calls a lot on defense & plays every position, it’s not as easy to let loose when you’re asked to be a FS, CB & Edge on the same drive. That said he has plenty of nasty moments, but I agree with Steve that he seems to let up at times. 

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Hell yeah.

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

He'd almost have to be. Otherwise you're wasting his talent.

That's a hell of a D-line, i guess i was just thinking OLB but yall are right... stand him up at OLB on pass rush situations but have him primarily at End

4 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Simmons calls a lot on defense & plays every position, it’s not as easy to let loose when you’re asked to be a FS, CB & Edge on the same drive. That said he has plenty of nasty moments, but I agree with Steve that he seems to let up at times. 

Don't get me wrong, I was about to be the lone Simmons over young voice until the smarter people told me to sit down, then thankfully KDawgs been saying it how I would. I'm totally crushing on Simmons. I think he's going to absolutely destroy the combine also and somehow move up. I'm fine if somebody wants to leap in for our pick for a QB and we end up with Simmons over young and another pick, but I also think that's a bad idea. lol

Welcome back btw

4 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

That's a hell of a D-line, i guess i was just thinking OLB but yall are right... stand him up at OLB on pass rush situations but have him primarily at End

With Payne Settle Iaon and Allen in the middle 2/3 positions and Young and Sweat outside, along with actual competent coaches, we have a ton to be excited about.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Don't get me wrong, I was about to be the lone Simmons over young voice

I’ve flirted with that line more often than I care to admit. 😕 Though I must admit it’s the appeal of being a contrarian that turns me on as much as the play. 

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

With Payne Settle Iaon and Allen in the middle 2/3 positions and Young and Sweat outside, along with actual competent coaches, we have a ton to be excited about.

197E7DFA-5362-42F4-9945-992C062272F4.gif

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

I would actually like to see Kerrigan in as a rush DE as well.  IF we take young, do you know the terror of a 3rd and long with Sweat and Young standing up flanking Kerrigan Payne Ioannidis and Allen?

11 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I think with his initial burst off the line, it makes sense to have him at the LoS than starting back at OLB. Plus you're more apt to him dropping back in coverage at OLB if he ain't got a hand in the ground.

Archived