Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Holy smokes. Becton at #11? I was wondering when the off-season mocks would catch up to the hype. Dude is mostly in the 3rd round range ... first i have seen him in the 1st, let alone Top 15. SKINS fans can probably stop drooling over the potential of a Young-Becton combo with the 1st and 3rd.

Becton seems a likely candidate to obliterate the offseason.

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

Apologize if this was already mentioned: 

The Bears are the last team to move up from pick 3 to pick 2 in the draft when they traded up with SF to draft QB Mitch Trubisky. 

They gave up picks 3, 67, 111 and a 2018 3rd rounder to move up 1 spot. That's a 1st, two 3rds and a 4th to move up and pick Trubisky.

Given this information, I have to believe Tua is gonna be more highly coveted than Trubisky was.....I'm betting Gruden makes us a sick offer to have Tua when he moves into his new stadium in Vegas.

One trade down is rare. Two trade-downs is just plain unrealistic. Not because I don't think it could happen, but just because it seems the stars have to align for these things to transpire. I would imagine we would field calls and have multiple trade-down strategies. But I think for it to work out for 2 trade-downs and stay in the top 5 ... just not sure I see it.

There are a couple scenarios that I envision that COULD happen.

Scenario 1: Someone trades up to #3 and we get a call to lock in #2 (5%)

- I presented this earlier on. The most likely IMO is Miami. Move from #5 to #3 with assurances that they can secure #2. But I could also see a team like Oakland ... give #12, #19 and a 3rd rounder to Detroit ... then offer us a 3rd and a 2021 pick to move to #2 and secure Tua.

- Miami giving Detroit #5 and #26 to move up to #3 ... then giving us #37 to move up to #2 ...

- Both scenarios allow us to take Chase at #3 while adding draft capital

- Chances: Unlikely, but not impossible

Scenario 2: We trade back and give up on Chase (15%)

- This would require our front office to take the draft capital over Chase approach. This is a deep, talented draft in the Top 5-10 ... so I think the scenarios would require us to stay in the Top 5 if not Top 8

- I don't think we could see value in trading with Jacksonville or Carolina ... we would only get their pick + 2 and 3 this year and maybe future 1's ... but

- Miami is where the play is IMO. You fall back to #5. I think you require at least #5 + #18 and #37 and maybe even future 1 or 2 ... depends on how much they want Tua and how much you demand to not draft Chase.

- Draft Simmons or Okudah at #5 and have picks at #18 and #37 to add on top of your own picks in 3/4/4/5/7/7 + any future picks

Scenario #3: Draft Chase Young (80%)

- By far the most likely scenario

@volsmetyou have a differing take than others! That is not allowed here, sir. I don't care how well reasoned or nuanced it is. Please take that somewhere else.

On a side note: Tua is absolutely a better prospect than Burrow. And that's crazy to think about. But that injury is looming large. I know you don't think so, but its tough to look beyond...

If the bengals select Burrow I don't think anybody will call. Rivera has a history of selecting defensive players in the first and Young will be too attractive.

By the way when was last time we found a trade down partner in the 1st ?

7 minutes ago, FrFan said:

If the bengals select Burrow I don't think anybody will call, by the way when was last time we found a trade down partner in the 1st ?

Well, the higher you pick the more likely you are to get a call. Especially when the one pick above you is a lock. #2 pick has full control on getting anyone not named Burrow, so the calls will be there. Now, whether the offers are respectable or not may be a different story.

13 minutes ago, FrFan said:

If the bengals select Burrow I don't think anybody will call. Rivera has a history of selecting defensive players in the first and Young will be too attractive.

By the way when was last time we found a trade down partner in the 1st ?

A partner? Annually — but an agreement, Doctson. 

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

They did? Didn't that trade go through with Green Bay? Did we turn down a similar trade that year to take Payne?

Yeah, I believe they offered 2 #1s and something late in the 2019 draft but we took Payne. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

East-West meetings

http://www.walterfootball.com/eastwest2020interviews1.php

Washington Redskins - Ferris State defensive end Austin Edwards, Central Florida running back Adrian Killins, N.C. State defensive end James Smith-Williams, Oklahoma cornerback Parnell Motley

The best time of year has finally arrived.

2 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I’m not sure whether to celebrate if Wirfs returns to school. On one hand, If he stays in school he might be there next year for us. On the other, if he stays in the draft this year, he might push another tackle down to us at the top of the 3rd. 

Takes away a trade down target.  Worse for us.  I think the general rule of thumb is that players leaving early is good for the  NFL teams because it can depress their draft value and make them bargain talents.  But it's often worse for the player to do so.  You have to balance a depressed drafts stock against the immediate financial needs of your family and the risk of injury I suppose.  It's a tough decision for most.

Archived