Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

So Wilson is #1 for you in this category? It's almost like a Gaither breakup haha. Really nice player with incredible instincts, but you say as others I've read - 2 down player. It's a little concerning since our interior LB's have been slow over the years like Bostic. I feel he could be a true 3 down player due to his instincts. If he were a little faster he'd be looking at the bottom of the first round.

Nah. It's not in any order. 

MIKE is among my top needs, though.

1. LT

2. MIKE

3. Free Safety

4. Corner

5. Hybrid Receiver

6. Tight End

7. Center

My Redskins first round wish list (if somehow Young is taken before our pick) - wholly contingent on impact to this team and not necessarily overall rankings of players

1. Chase Young, EDGE, Ohio State

2. Isaiah Simmons, LB/S, Clemson

3. Kenneth Murray, LB, Oklahoma

4. Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia

5. Jeffrey Okudah, CB, Ohio State

This is a BPA + Need weighted board. And some of these guys would require trade backs/trade arounds to take and the choice wouldn't occur at #2 overall. 

Young would be at 2... Okudah/Simmons/Thomas would be a top 10 pick. Murray would be a top 15-20 pick. 

I'd give you my round-by-round lists, but we don't know what's on the board. Going to try to do that during the draft.

Reasons:

Chase Young - You know why. Fluid, smart, athletic, technical. Can impact a play without even being involved in the play. Needs to improve amount of hand usage. Nearly perfect as a prospect.

Isaiah Simmons - Most versatile defensive player in the draft. Can play outside backer in a base 4-3, cover the slot in nickel/dime, play a deep safety from time to time, play inside backer in a dime or nickel set. Can blitz, pressure, cover in zone or man and tackle with length and wingspan.  Smart, athletic. Needs to improve shallow zone drops. 

Kenneth Murray - Aggressive, fast, fluid. Dude can do it all from the inside backer position. He has a really good feel for the game. He'd make an immediate impact as the MIKE backer on the Redskins and could play nickel and dime coverage roles as well. Needs to get better at filling the gap and not over pursuing/opening up lanes for opposing backs.

Andrew Thomas - I think he's the best tackle of the lot. Proven LT on the field. Wirfs can play LT but may translate to a guard. Wills played RT. Becton is a project. Thomas has done it. Year in and year out. Looking to replace Mr. Williams? This guy can do it and hold down the LT spot just like his predecessors Williams and Samuels. Needs to improve pass pro foot work and second level climbs.

Jeffrey Okudah - He's an elite prospect. I just don't think the separation between him and the next four guys at CB is enough to warrant taking him when there are so many pivotal, franchise level players available at the top of the draft board. Henderson, Diggs, his own teammate Damon Arnette, Kristian Fulton and not to mention Cameron Dantzler, AJ Terrell, etc., make choosing him a safe but potentially unnecessary selection high up in the draft. That said, he has the talent. His reaction to the ball and route concepts/play recognition is top notch. He will be near the ball and he is the best corner in this draft. Needs to improve his tackling. 

In a memo sent to all 32 teams Monday, commissioner Roger Goodell announced that the 2020 NFL draft will be conducted "entirely outside of their facilities and in a fully virtual format."

Essentially, it's like a fantasy football draft conducted entirely from remote locations with each and every member of the front offices and coaching staffs checking in from their respective homes.  Some teams had looked into holding their drafts at a central meeting point, like a brewery, but the NFL wants all clubs to "operate in a consistent and fair way."  This is something we've obviously never seen before and could lead to a number of technical issues throughout the weekend, but the NFL is determined to get through it.  NFL offices have been closed since March 13 and team facilities were shut down March 26.

I couldn't even imagine what could've happened later this month if we didn't fire this clown.

Cv8eTirUAAA8Eb-.jpg

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree this likely rules out Tua.  I've heard multiple times that because Tua hasn't been able to do personal visits, to showcase how far he's come and the medicals, it's hurt his stock.  Same reason why supposedly the Dolphins won't trade the moon for him. 

I don't think it does. I don't think Haskins, Haskins' agent or the people who put together the draft party are privy to the Skins draft plans. Nor do I think the Skins brass is concerned about what kind of party the Skins public relations group is putting on.

I don't think we go Tua because I don't think he's going to be the pick there. I think it's Young or a drop back kind of scenario at this point. But, I've been wrong once before. 

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

I they are really looking for an all around TE in the later rounds to contribute and possibly turn into a starter, I am with you on being higher on these guys than others.

I would consider Asiasi in the 4th. Deguara can be a HB/TE/FB combo and perhaps worthy of a 5th or 6th depending on their grades. These two have really grown on me.

I could get on board with Asiasi in the 4th, even though I previously said 5th - really like his skill set.  At some point, we need to face the fact that TEs typically take longer to develop and grab one to start the ball rolling.  Now to be fair, we did that with Sprinkle and now Hentges, but Sprinkle hasn’t shown the growth we need to see and Hentges (while I really like him, particularly as a blocker) probably has an optimistic ceiling of ok starter.  

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I'm intrigued by Dalton Keane. Mainly because he's a likely 5th or later round pick but there's talk about him being a complete TE. Saw another article yesterday (will try to find the link) that compared him to George Kittle.

Yeah, I could see just going for two later round guys to compete/develop with one of them perhaps landing on the PS... assuming we don’t take one earlier.

Keene, Woerner, Sullivan, and others fit the bill in terms of plus athleticism/intriguing upside.   

I think going to completely virtual expounds how important it is to have a competent and cohesive front office.  The teams that are on the same page and have done a great scouting job will prosper. I think it’s more important than ever though to know who has the hand on the “draft” button though come draft day. I’m hopeful but we’ve been there before 

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Nah. It's not in any order. 

MIKE is among my top needs, though.

1. LT

2. MIKE

3. Free Safety

4. Corner

5. Hybrid Receiver

6. Tight End

7. Center

My Redskins first round wish list (if somehow Young is taken before our pick) - wholly contingent on impact to this team and not necessarily overall rankings of players

1. Chase Young, EDGE, Ohio State

2. Isaiah Simmons, LB/S, Clemson

3. Kenneth Murray, LB, Oklahoma

4. Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia

5. Jeffrey Okudah, CB, Ohio State

This is a BPA + Need weighted board. And some of these guys would require trade backs/trade arounds to take and the choice wouldn't occur at #2 overall. 

Young would be at 2... Okudah/Simmons/Thomas would be a top 10 pick. Murray would be a top 15-20 pick. 

I respect and pretty much agree the thoughts you shared. The one player I think I add in is Wirf because he is another plug and play guy. He is either an immediate upgrade at RT, or at G if needed but can also slide into LT if needed. I like him best at RT but he legit. There are a couple QB's and WR'sI would certainly take if they fell but your list is attacking the biggest needs.

Center and MLB have been the positions I've wanted to get studs at for a number of years now. Center is sketchy this year but Murray could be it. It would take a trade down for it to occur. 

52 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

I'm not even going to read this yet, because I'm in the middle of my own WR work. Should be a fun read though.

Reinforced my thoughts on Pittman being my favorite 2nd tier WR

Yeah, Pittman for me was a matter of draft ‘consensus’ vs film, a deep class with a number of stars, and then the questions about his athleticism subsequently being put to rest at the combine.  Of course, then you have to factor in the talent he shared the field with. 
We shouldn’t be shocked if he goes ahead of guys like Jefferson, Higgins, Shenault and Raegor.  I have Mims ahead of him, but I could see teams liking him a bit less (was surprised to see questions of his route running lingering after his Senior Week). 

Edit: I hope the Bucs land him... for the sake of a certain visitor this board. 😉

Does the idea of the NFL season being canceled and the Draft order repeating in 2021 change anyone’s approach to a trade-down?

In one way you could guarantee Chase Young and either consensus OT1 Penei  Sewell or WR1 Jamar Chase at #2 next year (assuming Cincy trades #1 for a haul for Lawrence ... it takes Lawrence and trades Burrow for a haul) 

Or do you consider a trade with the LAC (Miami seems less likely) for 1-2-3 this year and 1-2 next year, knowing there’s a chance you could be picking at 2 and 6 in 2021. 

Or if Miami is in fact interested in trading up ... do you take 5+39+70 and Miami’s #1 in 2021 knowing it might be #5 again?

Either way, you could probably manipulate your picks in 2021 to get Sewell and Chase in addition to whoever you take a 5 or 6 this year. 

While the NFL won’t say anything publicly i have to think they will have some guidelines distributed to teams at least around the “what if” of the nfl season being canceled and how that effects the potential 2021 draft order, since 2021 picks will certainly be factored into the equation of many trades. And if they do and there’s legit uncertainty around 2020 season I doubt teams with top half of the 1st picks will be willing to part with their 2021 Round 1 capital in the event it ends up being a repeated selection. 

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Does the idea of the NFL season being canceled and the Draft order repeating in 2021 change anyone’s approach to a trade-down?

In one way you could guarantee Chase Young and either consensus OT1 Penei  Sewell or WR1 Jamar Chase at #2 next year (assuming Cincy trades #1 for a haul for Lawrence ... it takes Lawrence and trades Burrow for a haul) 

Or do you consider a trade with the LAC (Miami seems less likely) for 1-2-3 this year and 1-2 next year, knowing there’s a chance you could be picking at 2 and 6 in 2021. 

Or if Miami is in fact interested in trading up ... do you take 5+39+70 and Miami’s #1 in 2021 knowing it might be #5 again?

Either way, you could probably manipulate your picks in 2021 to get Sewell and Chase in addition to whoever you take a 5 or 6 this year. 

While the NFL won’t say anything publicly i have to think they will have some guidelines distributed to teams at least around the “what if” of the nfl season being canceled and how that effects the potential 2021 draft order, since 2021 picks will certainly be factored into the equation of many trades. And if they do and there’s legit uncertainty around 2020 season I doubt teams with top half of the 1st picks will be willing to part with their 2021 Round 1 capital in the event it ends up being a repeated selection. 

Trade the #2 pick for Cinci’s #1 in 2021. 

7 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

In a memo sent to all 32 teams Monday, commissioner Roger Goodell announced that the 2020 NFL draft will be conducted "entirely outside of their facilities and in a fully virtual format."

Essentially, it's like a fantasy football draft conducted entirely from remote locations with each and every member of the front offices and coaching staffs checking in from their respective homes.  Some teams had looked into holding their drafts at a central meeting point, like a brewery, but the NFL wants all clubs to "operate in a consistent and fair way."  This is something we've obviously never seen before and could lead to a number of technical issues throughout the weekend, but the NFL is determined to get through it.  NFL offices have been closed since March 13 and team facilities were shut down March 26.

I couldn't even imagine what could've happened later this month if we didn't fire this clown.

What are the odds of the patriots cheating?  Brady is gone , but they still have Bellacheat

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

If the 2020 season ends up cancelled I'm wondering if the NFL would come up with some other means of determining draft order instead of simply repeating the 2020 order again. Maybe some sort of lottery like in the NBA?

God I hope not. We need all the #2 picks we can get. Bring on Chase Young and Penei Sewell.

9 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Yeah, Pittman for me was a matter of draft ‘consensus’ vs film, a deep class with a number of stars, and then the questions about his athleticism subsequently being put to rest at the combine.  Of course, then you have to factor in the talent he shared the field with. 
We shouldn’t be shocked if he goes ahead of guys like Jefferson, Higgins, Shenault and Raegor.  I have Mims ahead of him, but I could see teams liking him a bit less (was surprised to see questions of his route running lingering after his Senior Week). 

The is such an incredible WR group. The Redskins would negligent if they didn't draft one.

I like Pittman by a hair over Mims in my second tier.  

When you say Jefferson if you are talking Justin Jefferson, I have him at 4 like Ledyard and at the bottom of my first tier.

The third tier I have a small crush on Antonio Gibson and have liked Van Jefferson late

7 hours ago, mistertim said:

If the 2020 season ends up cancelled I'm wondering if the NFL would come up with some other means of determining draft order instead of simply repeating the 2020 order again. Maybe some sort of lottery like in the NBA?

It would have to be a draft like that. If they announced that now, the Bengals would definitely take Young this year.

It would also mean that the college season is canceled. So, that's a double draft class. I suppose they could push this draft back a few months. 

Man, they could do a small 7 on 7 league with a small group of players that stay in a quarantined area for a few months and it would make bank being the only sport. 

Go contact the xfl guys about a potential 3 month quarantine and reality show. If this virus stuff lasts, it'll be the most watched televised thing ever!

Agree with both points from the PFF guy.  As for Jennings, I wouldn't take him early because of lack of speed but a dude that plays that physical I think can make it in the league. 

12 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Some speculated they'd do it like an NBA style lottery where the worst teams in this case from 2019 would have more chances to get a higher pick but it won't guarantee that they land one.

The more I digest sports radio in South Florida, the more it strikes me that zero chance the Dolphins (unless their beat guys have been totally fooled by their sources) would be willing to give up the store to trade up to #2.  I guess will see soon enough.

Listening to Grant and Danny.  Grant doesn't share gossip much but when he does he's often on the money.  

I was sort of half listening so I have to listen again to make sure I definitely got it right.  But if I heard him right then TE is on their radar screen in this draft but they expect the better ones are going to go before their pick in the third.  And the next tier of TE's aren't worth a third rounder so the next sweet spot for TE would be later in the draft.

If I understood him right that's interesting and makes sense.  It plays into what Standig also heard from scouts which is the top TEs might go earlier than some expect.

So yeah to me if the top TE's go in the 2nd round.  I am not taking the next tier as early as the third.  I'd even hesitate to take the top ones in the third but am not opposed to that idea like some on the thread seem to be.  But the point in play seems to be don't per se expect guys like Kmet, Trautman, etc to be there in the third where they even have an opportunity to even consider that as a possibility.

I admit though I am mildly surprised at that.  I've been a champion of the depth of the TE class albeit agree with the idea that it lacks headliners.  But in my mind, I've been thinking the first run of TE's happens in the third round.  Sounds like Paulsen and Standig's sources are telling them its going down in the 2nd round.  I guess will see. 

On 2/25/2020 at 11:51 PM, Burgundy Yoda said:

Unpopular opinion here, but I agree with you. People have to be realistic, Haskins can be a top 10 QB, sure but that's his ceiling imo. Tua I believe can reach that elite tier of QBs and has the work ethic to become great. The absolute best case scenario I can see for Haskins is he turns into a similar player to Big Ben but the chances of that are extremely low. I don't think the Skins will choose a QB though, Kyle Smith seemed excited enough about him to make me believe that we won't go in that direction, even though I think we should. 

What would you think of trading Haskins and third round pick to The Bengals for borrow? They get a QB and can draft chase young . we get a far better QB.

Apparently (per Dan Patrick) the Steelers have petitioned the league to add 3 rounds to the draft.  This will allow players that otherwise would be in their own to get seen as an udfa the opportunity to get drafted and come to camp.  

Archived