Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Obviously, we can have these discussions as much as anyone wants. Just know it’s a never ending loop :ols:

Speaking of which, we are a bit of the outliers on this thread as for TEs.  And our favorite TEs almost right down the line are almost identical.   So I'd figured you'd appreciate more than most Cooley's take on the college TEs.  He didn't get into detail as for why he likes who he likes.  He typically does explain that in detail so maybe he does it in his own podcast soon.  But he's clearly watched a bunch now. 

He's usually pretty good at judging that spot over the years for obvious reasons.  He highlighted one dude that as far as I can tell only you and I seem really high on.  I don't see draft geeks for the most part pumped up about him.  The only 2 I've heard now hype that player are two former TEs so maybe that's a good sign -- Logan Paulsen and now Chris Cooley.  That dude being Devin Asiasi.   He said he likes him a lot.

He says:  Kmet, Trautman, Albert O are the top three.  He thinks Kmet can go as early as the first.    He said the underrated TE in the mix is Devin Asasi who he likes a lot.  He also likes Hopkins and thinks he can go as early as the third but implied later he probably drops further. 

He loves Cole Kmet.  He thinks he's great at separating.  "He's going to be an awesome player".  He thinks Albert O flashes some good athleticism but is concerned that he doesn't make a lot of plays.  

I am more of a Kmet guy than most on this thread.  I am not as enthusiastic as Cooley about him, though.  But I like him.  I've been back and forth between him and Trautman.  I am more of a Trautman guy but Kmet I believe will be a good one.  The vibe I am getting though is no way Kmet lands in the 3rd so he's likely off the table.  But like I've been saying if they can land Asiasi in the 4th, I think that might be the best value for a TE in the draft.  

Cooley doesn't seem to think the #1 TE is on this roster.  He thinks we have a bunch of #2s.  He alluded that the #1 could come from the draft. 

Didn't realize just how historic we were on 3rd downs last year...

Opposing quarterbacks posted an NFL-best 119.4 passer rating vs. Washington on third downs. That's the highest rating allowed by a defense since ESPN Stats & Info started tracking those numbers in 2001.

Poor communication in coverage contributed to those woes. There was also a lack of creativity up front at times, leading to less pressure. The Redskins have several players capable of applying heat: Allen, Ioannidis and Sweat -- all aged 26 or younger this season -- combined for 21.5 sacks last season. Kerrigan, who missed four games because of injuries in 2019, had 5.5 sacks. However, he had 37 the previous three seasons combined and will be able to rush more than ever while strictly playing end.

The Redskins can add Young to this mix and, they hope, have a defensive turnaround similar to San Francisco's. In 2018, the 49ers allowed a passer rating of 116.4 on third downs, second worst since 2001 after Washington's mark. Last season, opposing quarterbacks posted a 77.9 passer rating on third downs. The 49ers were tied for second overall on third-down conversions.

San Francisco added pass-rusher Nick Bosa; the Redskins could be adding Young. Washington's secondary remains a work in progress; it'll take more than Young's presence to improve. But a stronger pass rush could be a turning point.

Keep in mind, Rivera and Del Rio coached pass-rushers such as Julius Peppers, Von Miller and Khalil Mack. They know the impact of a player with Young’s potential.

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/39840/redskins-optimism-stems-from-front-four-likely-chase-young-addition

8 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

The Redskins can add Young to this mix and, they hope, have a defensive turnaround similar to San Francisco's. In 2018, the 49ers allowed a passer rating of 116.4 on third downs, second worst since 2001 after Washington's mark. Last season, opposing quarterbacks posted a 77.9 passer rating on third downs. The 49ers were tied for second overall on third-down conversions.

San Francisco added pass-rusher Nick Bosa; the Redskins could be adding Young. Washington's secondary remains a work in progress; it'll take more than Young's presence to improve. But a stronger pass rush could be a turning point.

Keep in mind, Rivera and Del Rio coached pass-rushers such as Julius Peppers, Von Miller and Khalil Mack. They know the impact of a player with Young’s potential.

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/39840/redskins-optimism-stems-from-front-four-likely-chase-young-addition

I'll see if the video clip gets posted somewhere and if so I'll attach it.  But I was watching Get Up this morning and Rex Ryan was posed some questions about Chase.  Among his points:

A.  He'd much rather have one great player (especially at pass rush, he circled back to pass rush in a different question) than 3 good players.

B.  Good players aren't that hard to find, great players are very hard to find

C.  If he had a player like Chase Young at the Jets their defense would have been insane.  As a coordinator he had to be creative to bring pressure.  When you have a dude like Chase Young who can make plays regardless of scheming it up -- nothing beats that.  He said something like that. 

D. Chase Young -- he'd pick at #2, no brainer.  He would not trade down.

from the Athletic today

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 9.04.51 AM.png

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Niang is in a much more vital position of need. Same tier means taking the prospect that helps your team the most. Especially after round 2. I’m with you here. 

As for Niang, the dude is competitive as heck.  Watching some of his games, the obvious one that stood out is facing Chase and Bosa.  He held his own.   He also has the measurables.  He has long arms-wingspan-big hands.   I'd be shocked if he lands in the third but if he does that would be a great pick IMO.  I also like Cleveland and Wilson among the guys that are supposedly going in the 2nd round.  But I like Niang over the other 2. 

IMO there is a decent drop off when those guys go to the next tier of OTs like:  Bartch, Peart, etc. 

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'll see if the video clip gets posted somewhere and if so I'll attach it.  But I was watching Get Up this morning and Rex Ryan was posed some questions about Chase.  Among his points:

A.  He'd much rather have one great player (especially at pass rush, he circled back to pass rush in a different question) than 3 good players.

B.  Good players aren't that hard to find, great players are very hard to find

C.  If he had a player like Chase Young at the Jets their defense would have been insane.  As a coordinator he had to be creative to bring pressure.  When you have a dude like Chase Young who can make plays regardless of scheming it up -- nothing beats that.  He said something like that. 

D. Chase Young -- he'd pick at #2, no brainer.  He would not trade down.

Yeah, this has been my stance since #2 overall looked like a real possibility.  I doubt Rex would have taken any group of three "good" players over Darrelle Revis when he was in his prime.

People like to assume we'll get three great players in the 1st if we trade back with the Dolphins, when history has shown the probability of that is extremely unlikely.  They frame the discussion as Chase Young or 3 Day 1 high-impact starters, when over half of first round picks end up as busts, and the rate of busting is higher the lower you pick in the round.    

Would I prefer 3-4 pro-bowlers over 1 DPOY-candidate level player?  Yes.  Is that at all realistic?  No.  It's more likely you get two legit starters and two bench guys and/or complete busts.  Maybe with 1 pro-bowler out of the lot.

For example, let's say we trade back from Young and select Jeudy, Murray, and McKinney.  And let's say their ceiling comps are OBJ, Thomas Davis, and Minkah Fitzpatrick, respectively.  OBJ is a top 5 WR.  TD was a top 5 off-ball LB in his prime.  Minkah is probably the best FS in the league.  Expecting to get that level of player with all those picks is just wishful thinking.  We might hit on one, but chances are we completely whiff on at least one and the other doesn't even come close to that potential ceiling.  But let's try to assign weights to these ceiling comps:

Chances of Chase Young becoming as good as Julius Peppers: 65%

Chances of Jeudy becoming as good as OBJ: 80% (I'm being very generous here)

Chances of Kenneth Murray becoming as good as Thomas Davis: 30%

Chances of Xavier McKinney becoming as good as Minkah Fitzpatrick: 15%

The combined probability that all three of the trade-back prospects hit their ceilings is approximately 3.6%.  The combined probability of just Jeudy and Murray hitting their ceilings is 24%.  The combined probability of just Murray and McKinney hitting their ceilings is 4.5%.

Give me the 65% HOFer every time.

Also, the individual percentages don't matter all that much.  Those were just based on my personal beliefs of the likelihood the players named above will reach their ceilings.  The point of the post was that the likelihood of those three players we trade back for collectively reaching their respective ceilings is extremely low.

Even if you gave each of those players a 50% chance of reaching their ceilings, there is only a 12.5% chance they all reach their ceilings.  There would be only a 25% chance two of those three players reach their ceilings.  

@stevemcqueen1 I’m not down on Higgins. He’s my 5th outside receiver and likely my 6th overall receiver on my board. 

I don’t think the dude is there in the third. But I think Niang is an underrated prospect. He’s phenomenal. He plays well against big time competition. He’s a proven commodity. I think he’s just as good of a prospect as Higgins. That’s not meant to be anti-Higgins. It’s meant to be pro-Niang.

@Skinsinparadise I think Asiasi is the steady guy of the group for sure. I don’t have him in my top 4ish overall, but I think for us and as far as value goes he’s top 3. Kmet is going to get reached for. Trautman is a good value pick, though. As is AO and then Asiasi. 

I agree that we have a bunch of 2s and no 1s on the roster. I don’t know that we NEED a one, but it would sure as hell help. If we could get Asiasi in the 4th I wouldn’t blink at that pick. That leaves the 3rd free for BPA and then tremendous value in Asiasi in the 4th.

Dude is criminally underrated.

As we near the draft, I thought it would be fun to go look at some of the "way too early" mock drafts immediately following the 2019 draft. The guys that were hyped before the season. Not to say these players are worthy of early picks, but thought it would be fun to see who some of the media draft guys had high up prior to the season. Might be worth keeping an eye on some of these guys that fell off ... the pedigree is there ... could have just had a down year.

Here is Matt Miller's Bleacher Report Mock Draft from April 27, 2019:

1. Redskins - Chase Young, Edge Ohio State - NAILED IT?!

2. Walker Little, OT Stanford - went back to school

3. AJ Epenesa, Edge Iowa - slated for mid to late 1st

4. Jake Fromm, QB Georgia - easy to forget he was the "prize" other than Tua

5. Andrew Thomas, OT Georgia

6. Grant Delpit, S LSU

7. Jerry Jeudy, WR Alabama

8. Tua Tagovailoa, QB Alabama

9. Dylan Moses, LB Alabama - went back to school

10. Tee Higgins, WR Clemson - Late 1st to possibly 3rd?

11. Derrick Brown, DL Auburn

12. Laviska Shenault, WR Colorado - Late 1st to possibly 3rd?

13. Justin Herbert, QB Oregon

14. CeeDee Lamb, WR Oklahoma

15. Raekwon Davis, DL Alabama - currently a R2-3 player

16. Trevon Diggs, CB Alabama

17. K'Lavon Chaisson, Edge LSU

18. Henry Ruggs, WR Alabama

19. Terrell Lewis, Edge Alabama - 2nd rounder, may slip into 1st though

20. CJ Henderson, CB Florida

21. Jacob Eason, QB Washington

22. Donovan People-Jones, WR Mighican - R2 or R3 currently

23. Colby Parkinson, TE Stanford - R5 to R7 currently ... potential STEAL?

24. Anfernee Jennings, Edge Alabama - R3 to R5 currently --- high pedigree

25. Jaylon Johnson, CB Utah

26. Trey Adams, OT Washington - R6 to UDFA currently. Huge injury concerns. But had massive pedigree early in college. Possible late-round flier/steal. Miller not the only one that had him in R1 last year.

27. Richard LeConte, S Georgia - went back to school

28. Tyler Biadasz, C Wisconsin

29. Kenneth Murray, LB Oklahoma

30. Travis Etienne, RB Clemson - went back to school

31. Paddy Fisher, LB Northwestern - went back to school

32. Kenny Willikes, Edge Michigan State - Currently R4 to R6 could be a steal, good PFF grades in 2020 too.

Some guys in here I like in the mid-rounds. Higgins, Shenault, People-Jones ... and late-round fliers if we don't take Chase (Willikes) and if we want to double-down on high-upside but risky players (Trey Adams)

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Interesting, primarily because teams usually like to interview top players they have no shot at so that they can get to know them in the event they become available for trade or via free agency down the road. I am sure this is not an indictment on Chase but more the reality that nobody thinks he will make it past #3, combined with the fact teams are probably trying to keep their time for meaningful meetings given the environment.

@KDawg I’m with you on Niang.  I think he’s right there with Josh Jones - I like him better than Cleveland, Jackson, etc.  

@Skinsinparadise Revisited several TEs last night - really wish I had all22 to really hone in on the route running - but my rankings definitely changed a bit.  Ironic that I was semi-raving about Asiasi to you... well, I’ve now bumped him up to #3.  In fact, I find myself questioning whether if he’s not an equal to Kmet/Trautman.

Albert O just doesn’t show me the fluidity or suddenness as a receiver.  I want to like him more with that size/speed combo, but nope.  He’s plummeted down my rankings.  I do think he’s underrated as an in-line blocker though.  He’ll be a nice fit for a team that already has a good Y TE.  He has more trouble blocking in space than Asiasi and both Bryants.  I also like the latter two, and Hopkins a lot more as receivers.  I think they also have a better chance at improving as inline blockers than Albert does at blocking in space.  

1. Kmet/Trautman (undecided here)

3.  Asiasi

4.  Hopkins, and both Bryants (I realize this is a cop-out, but the combine really muddied the waters between these three)

Frankly, I’m not bothering to rank Albert O., because now I need to compare him with guys like Pinckney, Parkinson, Wilcox, Deguara, McKeon and others (pretty sure he’s at least well ahead of McKeon though).  Moss is in a very similar boat for me.  I want to like him - and I do as a blocker - but I don’t see the receiving upside really.  

32 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

@KDawg

3.  Asiasi

4.  Hopkins, and both Bryants (I realize this is a cop-out, but the combine really muddied the waters between these three)

Frankly, I’m not bothering to rank Albert O., because now I need to compare him with guys like Pinckney, Parkinson, Wilcox, Deguara, McKeon and others (pretty sure he’s at least well ahead of McKeon though).  Moss is in a very similar boat for me.  I want to like him - and I do as a blocker - but I don’t see the receiving upside really.  

Just watched a bit of this Asiasi guy for the first time, I’m in. The only negative feedback I got in text was about his commitment to the game.  

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yeah, this has been my stance since #2 overall looked like a real possibility.  I doubt Rex would have taken any group of three "good" players over Darrelle Revis when he was in his prime.

Yeah he did mention Revis as the one elite player he had.  

This team more than most should know that it's not incredibly hard to find good players but it is indeed hard to find elite guys.  Thus far for example, Jonathan Allen is a good player.  Aaron Donald is elite.   Plenty of other examples within our roster that makes the same point.   And that's been historically the story for the Redskins under Dan.  

Rex really explained it well so hopefully the clip shows up on the Internet.  He answered that question in 2 different segments.

As for the Tua-Herbert discussion from the other day. Yeah I'd be hard in the Tua camp.  Shanny, Arians, Gibbs have all said everything being equal the most important intangible for a player especially Qb is work ethic -- and this dude is known as someone that works it really hard.   He's a really good player but he also is a grinder. High intangibles.

Cool article here including references from one of my favorite movies, Rocky IV. 😀

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/04/08/tua-tagovailoa-secret-draft-workouts-trent-dilfer/

...Who here has seen ‘Rocky IV’?” Dilfer says he asked.

Tagovailoa, who was born 13 years after “Rocky IV”’s 1985 release, said nothing. So Dilfer told the quarterback about how fighter Rocky Balboa’s best friend, Apollo Creed, had been killed in the ring by a towering, emotionless Soviet fighter named Ivan Drago, and that Rocky had to avenge Creed’s death by fighting Drago in Moscow. He described how Rocky went to train in a remote Russian cabin that Dilfer believed to be in the Ukraine, where Rocky ran for miles in the snow, did situps off the side of a hayloft and cut huge logs with a handsaw.

“He went to the Ukraine and he gets away from everything to build himself up to fight Drago,” Dilfer says he told Tua. “I don’t think you know what you are asking for in coming here, but we are going to literally rebuild you.”

...The work was grueling. Tagovailoa spent 2½ hours each morning in the weight room and another 2½ in the afternoon, always avoiding the notice of Lipscomb’s football players who also use the weight room. He had to slide with resistance bands wrapped around his shins, did pushups from his elbows and pulled his legs in the air while dangling from the top of a weight machine. All of the drills were designed to not only heal his hip and an ankle injury he dealt with in college, but make them stronger than before.

“He went through torture,” Dilfer says.

To replicate passing work, Dilfer had Tagovailoa throw while sitting in a chair. For a while, he could only toss the ball 10 yards. So Dilfer brought in former Arizona Cardinals and Tennessee Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt to drill him on the nuances of modern NFL offenses. For most of January and February, this is how Tagovailoa spent his 2½ hours of football workouts — watching film and diagraming plays on a whiteboard with Whisenhunt, preparing him for meetings with teams.

...One day, Tagovailoa told Dilfer he had finally watched “Rocky IV.”

“This is the Ukraine,” Dilfer remembers Tagovailoa saying.

In late February, Tagovailoa went to the NFL’s scouting combine in Indianapolis, where he mentioned Dilfer at a news conference but revealed little about his workouts.

“Mentally, it’s been a grind,” he said that day. “The rehab process has been a grind.”

Back in his personal Ukraine, the rebuilding of Tua ground on. In early March, Dilfer began to worry about the looming pro day, only a month away. Since Tagovailoa had not met the doctors yet, he couldn’t really do throwing exercises. Would Dilfer have enough time to get him ready?

Finally, on March 9, the doctors cleared him. Two days later, Tagovailoa took his first real throws. As Dilfer watched that day, his worry disappeared. Tagovailoa’s throws rolled perfectly off his fingertips, rocketing with precision. Soon, he was scampering across the field, firing passes while leaping into the air. With each session the throws got longer, the tasks more challenging until Tagovailoa was completing most of the throws he would need in an actual game.

The other day, Dilfer says he noticed that Tagovailoa was actually throwing harder at the end of his sessions, which is rare.

“If he would have never gotten hurt there would have been no discussion about who the best player in the draft is,” Dilfer says. “He throws the football better than anyone throws the football. He throws better than Aaron Rodgers and Dan Marino. Whoever gets him wins the draft because you are getting a Hall of Fame player.”

Then he adds: “There are some really, really good quarterbacks in this draft, but the best one is Tua.”

Dilfer isn’t the only one with a positive assessment. A few weeks back, ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay said that if Tagovailoa were healthy, McShay would rank him higher than Burrow, who is widely expected to become the first overall pick of the Cincinnati Bengals.

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

@Skinsinparadise Revisited several TEs last night - really wish I had all22 to really hone in on the route running - but my rankings definitely changed a bit.  Ironic that I was semi-raving about Asiasi to you... well, I’ve now bumped him up to #3.  In fact, I find myself questioning whether if he’s not an equal to Kmet/Trautman.

Albert O just doesn’t show me the fluidity or suddenness as a receiver.  I want to like him more with that size/speed combo, but nope.  He’s plummeted down my rankings.  I do think he’s underrated as an in-line blocker though.  He’ll be a nice fit for a team that already has a good Y TE.  He has more trouble blocking in space than Asiasi and both Bryants.  I also like the latter two, and Hopkins a lot more as receivers.  I think they also have a better chance at improving as inline blockers than Albert does at blocking in space.  

3.  Asiasi

To me all four of those TEs:  Kmet, Trautman, Albert O, Asiasi can argue for the top spot for different reasons.  Albert O is probably the biggest boom-bust of the 4 so I sometimes pause about him more than the other 3.   I agree and have said so in the past he doesn't play as fast as he timed in the combine. 

Asiasi might be the safest of the 4 picks considering he faced good competition and did everything well, there is no real weakness to his game IMO.  

To me that next group is Harrison Bryant, Hunter Bryant and Hopkins and i can argue the permutation in anyway but I slightly prefer Hopkins.  If I recall you are a big Deguara guy unless am mixing you with someone else?  I think Deguara is close to the Bryants and Hopkins.  i am not a big Moss guy.

I haven't watched Wilcox yet but will.   I am not huge on Parkinson but I don't dislike him.  I can see Parkinson being up their alley if he's still there in the 5th.

But back to Asiasi.  He's just short of 260 pounds.  He has one of the best wingspans in the group.  He's a good athlete for his size and moves well for a big dude.  He has good hands, can separate and can block.  IMO he'd be a great get if he's there in the 4th.  

16 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Draft Tua

With all of those Rocky 4 references, how could they not draft him now?

giphy.gif

@Skinsinparadise Yeah, when we were both going through TEs at the same time, I was focused on trying to find the diamond in the rough types, and that’s where Deguara and Asiasi came in.  Since then they seem to have moved up boards and I’ve had to (and still need to with Deguara) go back and compare them to the ‘top’ guys.  I did like Deguara in an all around sense - not as much as Asiasi, but I’ll look again.  I think just a bit behind the Bryant’s and Hopkins sounds right.  
Without Albert O changing my mind on the suddenness out of breaks, I just can’t put him up with all of the guys I’ve mentioned.  I’m certain he’ll be drafted before a number of them though.  Don’t want to totally kill the dude.  As I said, I like his inline blocking, he can be a weapon up the seam, a mismatch problem for smaller defenders or on drags vs slower linebackers and such.  I think he’ll be a solid number 2.  He’d be fun to have on coverage teams.  

Edit:  forgot to say @volsmet - I heard Asiasi’s weight fluctuated a fair bit in-season, bringing up concerns about commitment.  I’d be placing a premium on what his coaches, etc had to say.  Good point.  

4 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

@Skinsinparadise Yeah, when we were both going through TEs at the same time, I was focused on trying to find the diamond in the rough types, and that’s where Deguara and Asiasi came in.  Since then they seem to have moved up boards and I’ve had to (and still need to with Deguara) go back and compare them to the ‘top’ guys.  I did like Deguara in an all around sense - not as much as Asiasi, but I’ll look again.  I think just a bit behind the Bryant’s and Hopkins sounds right.  
Without Albert O changing my mind on the suddenness out of breaks, I just can’t put him up with all of the guys I’ve mentioned.  I’m certain he’ll be drafted before a number of them though.  Don’t want to totally kill the dude.  As I said, I like his inline blocking, he can be a weapon up the seam, a mismatch problem for smaller defenders or on drags vs slower linebackers and such.  I think he’ll be a solid number 2.  He’d be fun to have on coverage teams.  

Edit:  forgot to say @volsmet - I heard Asiasi’s weight fluctuated a fair bit in-season, bringing up concerns about commitment.  I’d be placing a premium on what his coaches, etc had to say.  Good point.  

Apparently he left Michigan for friends back in California... he didn’t want to win the TE job in at Michigan, he wanted to be with his buddies... there are some other anecdotal bits surrounding him, but nothing particularly damning. 

Asiasi

https://profootballready.com/an-ode-to-devin-asiasi-the-dual-threat-tight-end-prospect-we-need

Get to Know Him a Little Better

Of course, Devin being the gentleman and scholar that he is, he generously agreed to answer a few questions for me.

I noticed your body looked quite a bit different from your days at Michigan. Was there an emphasis on your end to improve flexibility, straight line speed, etc?

“Definitely in my transition coming from Michigan I wanted to lose some weight. The flexibility came with me getting into the training room and working with my trainers to improve my ankle and hip mobility. During this past offseason, we had a lot of great work with our strength & conditioning coaches with working on technique and mechanics to work on our linear speed.”

What have been the biggest improvements in your game over the last two seasons?

“I think I’ve grown so much in the passing game since I got to UCLA. My route running and foot quickness have improved a lot, and that’s helped me get open on a more consistent basis, which has led to my increased production. What I’m excited about is that I feel like I still have a lot of room to improve as a route runner, and that my best football is in front of me.”

What do you intend to prove to NFL evaluators during this process?

“I want to prove to teams that I’m the best TE in the draft. I think I had a productive season and like I said, my best football is in front of me. I know a lot of teams haven’t seen me yet, but my goal is to show them I’m an elite prospect in the passing game and the running game.”

How was playing in a Chip Kelly offenses that values creating space, able to bring out the best in you leading to such high production?

“I think being in Coach Kelly’s offense helped me understand passing and running concepts more. Knowing the importance of my job and executing in the game. Getting more comfortable with offense and understanding it more gave me a lot more confidence as the season went on.”

Bottom Line

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 2.56.36 PM.png

Archived