Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

20 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Apparently he left Michigan for friends back in California... he didn’t want to win the TE job in at Michigan, he wanted to be with his buddies... there are some other anecdotal bits surrounding him, but nothing particularly damning. 

I forgot about hearing that he transferred to UCLA because he was “homesick”... yikes

I do remember it kind of bothered me at the time I read it

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

First:  Wirfs, Willis, Becton, Thomas, Jackson, Wirfs, A. Jackson, J. Jones

2nd:  Niang, Cleveland, I. Wilson.

IMO if one of those tackles slips to the third round, you almost got to take them.  But I doubt they do fall. 

Watching Jackson, I don’t see it.

Wirfs, Thomas, Wills, Becton, & Jones all flash pro bowl talent, but Jackson got his ass kicked with regularity v Anae. 

2 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I forgot about hearing that he transferred to UCLA because he was “homesick”... yikes

I do remember it kind of bothered me at the time I read it

The TE job at UM was his to lose & he left to be with his Bff. 

With all the "fun" of mock drafts. I think this one is probably the most realistic / expectation-setting draft I have done. TW for Jets 3.4

1.2: Chase Young, Edge Ohio State

3.2: Lucas Niang, OT TCU

3.4: Bryce Hall, CB UVA

4.2: Tyler Johnson, WR Minnesota

4.36: Colby Parkinson, TE Stanford

5.16: Reggie Robinson II, S Tulsa

7.2: Joe Bachie, LB Michigan State

7.15: Jeff Thomas, WR Miami

If you don't think TW will get traded for 2020 draft capital, than cut out the DB. Maybe you go with a late-round guy like Parnell Motley in the 7th instead of Bachie or Thomas. I think long-term we need DB, but I can see this staff being cool with the back-end for 2020 and reassess from there. But Hall is pretty good with upside so I could see him being drafted in the 3rd if we had an extra pick. Without TW trade it looks like this:

3.2: Lucas Niang, OT TCU

4.2: Tyler Johnson, WR Minnesota

4.36: Colby Parkinson, TE Stanford

5.16: Reggie Robinson II, S Tulsa

7.2: Joe Bachie, LB Michigan State

7.15: Parnell Motley, CB Oklahoma

I would feel better if the draft went:

3.2: Laviska Shenault, WR Colorado

4.2: Saahdiq Charles, OT LSU

4.36: Hunter Bryant, TE Washington

5.16: Reggie Robinson II, S Tusla

7.2: Trey Adams, OT Washington

7.15: Parnell Motley, CB Oklahoma

But those players weren't there at those picks.

17 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Watching Jackson, I don’t see it.

Wirfs, Thomas, Wills, Becton, & Jones all flash pro bowl talent, but Jackson got his ass kicked with regularity v Anae. 

The 3 tackles in that mix that I haven't watched are Becton, Austin Jackson and Josh Jones.    So for Jackson am just going by mocks which tend to have him go late first typically.  So I don't have an opinion about those 3. 

Of the 2nd tier types that i've watched and added my take-report on this thread I really like Niang, Cleveland and I. Wilson a lot.  If anyone of those guys surprisingly drop to the third I'd take them in a heart beat.  I like them distinctly better than the next group:  Bartch, Peart, Wanogho all of whom I've watched.   

6 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Rivera gave me the impression he’d be open to moving back, probably as far as #5 or #6 but no further. If there is a potential jump up coming for a QB from either of those slots, we could easily be trading back.

Gave you the impression where?  At the press conference yesterday?

19 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Yeah based on his response in that. 

I got a heavy impression that he was being fairly explicit that he's staying at #2.  It even become both a national and local story about whether Rivera just gave away that they are staying put.   The whole segment that I mentioned on this thread about Rex Ryan talking up taking Chase was driven by a segment on Get Up that played off of Rivera's press conference which came off to the panel that he was heavily suggesting yesterday he's staying pat and taking Chase.

You got him in that press conference in the mix making 2 points which included playing down some the idea of accumulating picks for a higher pick and he said he already thinks he knows what they are going to do.  So unless the Dolphins secretly have a deal with the Redskins and why would they have to keep it secret?  Then, it came off that is going to be Chase.

Rivera once said that there is a price where he can be had for the #2 pick but he doesn't expect anyone to offer that.  That's really the only main wiggle I've seen from Rivera.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/04/07/ron-rivera-might-already-know-redskins-no-2-pick/

Redskins Coach Ron Rivera seems pretty sure about what he’ll do with No. 2 pick

“I’d like to believe in the back of my mind I know what we want to do,” he said in a video conference call with reporters. “But you’ve got to go through the process.”

Rivera never actually mentioned Ohio State pass rusher Chase Young, the player many expect Washington to select, but he didn’t sound ready to trade away the choice in an attempt to collect more draft picks, either.

Washington coach Ron Rivera sent a reasonably strong signal yesterday that he has his mind on Chase Young.

@Skinsinparadise I think his response below was pretty much 50/50. No doubt he wants Young, and won’t pass over Young to take significantly lesser rated prospect with his first pick, but the statement ‘few guys’ doesn’t discount a slight move back if the terms were correct. 

Secondly, if you’re going to make a trade and you’re going to go back, that guy that you’re going to take at that spot has to make the kind of impact you need to validate missing an opportunity to take a player that’s a high impact guy. In other words, if you’re going to pass up player A, and you go back and you take player D, player D has to be equal to player A, you know what I’m saying. Because if player A is going to play for you for ten years, and player D might not, did you really get value or did you just get a whole bunch of picks. So you’ve got to be able to sit there and say that the next guy that I’m going to take is going to be that high impact guy. And that’s what I’m looking for, that’s what I believe we need. We need a guy just to come in and really change our football team. To me there’s a few guys on that board that are those kind of players. I’d like to believe in the back of my mind I know what we want to do.

48 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

And yet people all over the world have managed to find a way to work from home for weeks (or longer) with no IT employees holding their hands.

This is either the same GM's that simply don't want to do it and are looking for an excuse or it's Schefter once again trying to kill the draft.  It's probably a little of both.

46 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

@Skinsinparadise I think his response below was pretty much 50/50. No doubt he wants Young, and won’t pass over Young to take significantly lesser rated prospect with his first pick, but the statement ‘few guys’ doesn’t discount a slight move back if the terms were correct. 

Secondly, if you’re going to make a trade and you’re going to go back, that guy that you’re going to take at that spot has to make the kind of impact you need to validate missing an opportunity to take a player that’s a high impact guy. In other words, if you’re going to pass up player A, and you go back and you take player D, player D has to be equal to player A, you know what I’m saying. Because if player A is going to play for you for ten years, and player D might not, did you really get value or did you just get a whole bunch of picks. So you’ve got to be able to sit there and say that the next guy that I’m going to take is going to be that high impact guy. And that’s what I’m looking for, that’s what I believe we need. We need a guy just to come in and really change our football team. To me there’s a few guys on that board that are those kind of players. I’d like to believe in the back of my mind I know what we want to do.

I'll give you this if they actually trade back, I'll give you kudos because just about everyone is reading the tea leaves the opposite. 😀   So it would mean you've read into something that just about everyone continues to miss.  That includes every beat guy who covers the team and most of the national guys, too.  They pretty much all relentlessly say don't expect to see a trade down. 

You can't just trade back on a whim of course.  As other GMs like to say one difference between the mock draft process and real life on draft day is that often they don't get a trade back offer and or often it could be just a team trying to see if they can trade up cheap.  I recall McCloughan among others talk about it -- saying hey we'd have loved to trade down (in 2015) but the offer didn't come.  Gettleman said when they had the #2 pick that he had some offers but they all were teams trying to get up cheap, nothing serious.  Sometimes obviously big trades happen for big compensation -- but I don't think its something you can just count on happening in advance. 

So Rivera saying he thinks he has a pretty good idea of what's going down on draft day now would likely be picking Chase at #2 since that's the obvious bird in hand.  If what he meant instead that he's leaning towards trading down -- the only way I see him thinking that 2 weeks in advance is him thinking he will gladly be a cheap date as for trading down and it won't take much for him to do it, so no need for a big haul to find common ground on a trade.  

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'll give you this if they actually trade back, I'll give you kudos because just about everyone is reading the tea leaves the opposite. 😀   So it would mean you've read into something that just about everyone continues to miss.  That includes every beat guy who covers the team and most of the national guys, too.  They pretty much all relentlessly say don't expect to see a trade down. 

You can't just trade back on a whim of course.  As other GMs like to say one difference between the mock draft process and real life on draft day is that often they don't get a trade back offer and or often it could be just a team trying to see if they can trade up cheap.  I recall McCloughan among others talk about it -- saying hey we'd have loved to trade down (in 2015) but the offer didn't come.  Gettleman said when they had the #2 pick that he had some offers but they all were teams trying to get up cheap, nothing serious.  Sometimes obviously big trades happen for big compensation -- but I don't think its something you can just count on happening in advance. 

So Rivera saying he thinks he has a pretty good idea of what's going down on draft day now would likely be picking Chase at #2 since that's the obvious bird in hand.  If what he meant instead that he's leaning towards trading down -- the only way I see him thinking that 2 weeks in advance is him thinking he will gladly be a cheap date as for trading down and it won't take much for him to do it, so no need for a big haul to find common ground on a trade.  

I agree....But, RR is a veteran; let's suppose he's setting up an excuse for why he traded out. I can see how some see the other side of what he may be saying. RR could be saying that they see Okudah, Simmons or someone else right on par with Chase Young and that they couldn't pass up the haul they got with both players being equal. If he knows he could get Okudah and one of the stud WR's by trading back, plus another pick or two that could be enough. Look at how hard they went after Amari Cooper and Hooper....tells us they want help in those areas. Who knows? 

Any chance at a 3 way trade between the Fins, Skins, and the Lions. Lions get 5 and on of our 7ths, 

We end up with 26 and pick 3. Miami ends up with 2, stipulated that they don't pick Young?

I guess the pick question there is would the Lions like to move back 2 spots in order to pick up a high 2nd and a 7th round pick?

42 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

Any chance at a 3 way trade between the Fins, Skins, and the Lions. Lions get 5 and on of our 7ths, 

We end up with 26 and pick 3. Miami ends up with 2, stipulated that they don't pick Young?

I guess the pick question there is would the Lions like to move back 2 spots in order to pick up a high 2nd and a 7th round pick?

Pretty safe to say that there's a near-zero chance that this happens. 3-way trades are vanishingly rare to begin with.

7 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

As we near the draft, I thought it would be fun to go look at some of the "way too early" mock drafts immediately following the 2019 draft.

9. Dylan Moses, LB Alabama - went back to school

Last year I had my heart set on this guy for April 2020

It is good to see Asiasi getting all the love in thread now....or is it.

He is a great fit here in the 4th but shhh, keep it a secret.

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I agree....But, RR is a veteran; let's suppose he's setting up an excuse for why he traded out. I can see how some see the other side of what he may be saying. RR could be saying that they see Okudah, Simmons or someone else right on par with Chase Young and that they couldn't pass up the haul they got with both players being equal. If he knows he could get Okudah and one of the stud WR's by trading back, plus another pick or two that could be enough. Look at how hard they went after Amari Cooper and Hooper....tells us they want help in those areas. Who knows? 

I agree if he said it in that way but he also added some editorial.  Why bother with adding statements like this if the plan is to trade down?  “If Player A is going to play for you for 10 years and Player D may not, then did you really get value or did you just get a whole bunch of picks?” “That’s what I believe we need — we need a guy that’s going to come in and really change our football team.”Rivera said.

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/apr/7/ron-rivera-doesnt-sound-interested-trading-back/

Comments like that doesn't make me feel like he's bracing fans for a trade down.  

Why go through the trouble though of talking down some the value of trading for multiple picks if you are trying to brace people for it happening?  If he is slyly telegraphing that he's trading down you'd figure he'd be doing the opposite and saying something like its a tough decision to make because sometimes multiple picks can really help a roster or something like that.  Instead he talked up the downside of trading down. 

Then you add him suggesting that he already knows what they likely are going to do.  "Rivera said he has an idea “in the back my mind” of what the Redskins will do with the second overall pick"

If the Dolphins or Chargers or whomever wants Tua then they can trade up to #2 now.  We traded up to #2 in 2012 months before the draft.   So if Rivera has an idea of what they are going to do it's unlikely I think that he's anticipating a trade so vividly that he expects it to go down.  Only way I can see that is if the Dolphins or whomever are having intense quiet negotiations with the Redskins and Rivera just thinks its a matter of time before they reach a deal.  But usually this stuff leaks eventually.   

Then with all of that you got the beat guys like Keim who is rarely wrong saying he's hearing it will be staying out at #2 and very unlikely to be a trade down.  Rivera having the reputation of being a straight shooter and not a cagy guy.  And in all of his years in Carolina they never traded down once. 

So for me I don't see this as a 50-50 this could go either way scenario.  I don't blame @UK SKINS FAN 74 for having this take.  I respect his opinion. So it's all in good spirits on my end,  we are all just guessing so for the moment and there are no right or wrong answers.  He's shared multiple times of how they are hinting they are trading down.  For me, the feeling has been the opposite.  So I was just saying if he ends up right on this it would be a lot more impressive than what am saying because my take on this is the more conventional take. 

Edit:  Also as I've been saying there has always been one consistent disclaimer as for trading down including from Rivera himself which is if they got some big haul offer.  But there seems to be some skepticism that an offer like that is coming whether its been our beat guys talking about it or the Dolphin reporters -- and Rivera himself said awhile back he doesn't expect the price he has in his mind for the 2nd pick to be met or something like that.

@volsmet watch that Rapaport clip posted a couple of posts above this. 

In it he says Rivera "loves himself some Tua"

If that's true that's a wild revelation.  Among the people on the board, I am one of the few who won't get upset if they took Tua.    I still think it's unlikely.  I don't trust Rapoport generally.

I'd put my Chase Young fan credentials against anyone on the board. 😀   But I am with you that a franchise QB trumps all.   

40 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

@volsmet watch that Rapaport clip posted a couple of posts above this. 

In it he says Rivera "loves himself some Tua"

If that's true that's a wild revelation.  Among the people on the board, I am one of the few who won't get upset if they took Tua.    I still think it's unlikely.  I don't trust Rapoport generally.

I'd put my Chase Young fan credentials against anyone on the board. 😀   But I am with you that a franchise QB trumps all.   

I'm with you guys. Young and Tua (or in bizarro world, Burrow) are the only picks at 2 that wouldn't make me lose my mind. I'd hate that we wasted the pick last year on Haskins, but would be glad we had a new strong direction to follow. And a small part of me would nod along at Snyder being told to take a seat on that forced pick. I'd just be glad to know that the organization was moving forward in lockstep, all on the same page behind the new guy.

But I expect the pick to be Young and I'm very happy with that and still fine with Haskins' potential as well.

Archived