Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Kelvin Harmon WR North Carolina State

Wildbunny

Haskins and Harmon have a little bit of a bond on the field.  Probably comes from starting out third string together.  Haskins tends to find him when the play goes off schedule.

I think he is a way bigger talent than Quinn and I think he's already a better player.  He should be our starting slot receiver.

6 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Haskins and Harmon have a little bit of a bond on the field.  Probably comes from starting out third string together.  Haskins tends to find him when the play goes off schedule.

I think he is a way bigger talent than Quinn and I think he's already a better player.  He should be our starting slot receiver.

I believe they hung together some in the predraft process and knew each other from NJ.  They both share a mentor in Sanu. 

On 11/24/2019 at 9:04 AM, skinzplay said:

With a real HC and a bona fide OC, this kid and the others can do some damage. The current OC, despite the unwarranted kudos he routinely gets on this board, wouldn't be employed anywhere else in the league right now had the FO not forced him on Gruden.

I disagree. I think the Lions game is the first one where Callahan shortened the leash on KOC. Let's evaluate how he does from here on out. The Lions game was encouraging for me when it comes to playcalling for him - Haskins was simply missing a number of open guys. I'd let Greggg or whoever else is the coach interview him 

15 hours ago, method man said:

I disagree. I think the Lions game is the first one where Callahan shortened the leash on KOC. Let's evaluate how he does from here on out. The Lions game was encouraging for me when it comes to playcalling for him - Haskins was simply missing a number of open guys. I'd let Greggg or whoever else is the coach interview him 

For me, O'Connell is just a guy who was pushed on Gruden by the FO, in conjunction with Morocco Brown. If there's a housecleaning in the off-season, everybody needs to go, and no HC in his right mind would keep O'Connell around knowing how and why he was hired. He hasn't accomplished anything whatsoever in the league to warrant the kind of "our next HC" talk that so many on here continue to utter, and even while here, he hasn't shown anything. I agree with Keim -- let him get several seasons under his belt to develop experience and then assess what he can do. As of right now, he hasn't accomplished anything. And even in Ashburn, he hasn't been a real OC.

• 3 months later...

Yeah, that thread highlights the pros and cons well.  Great hands and contested catch ability, did a good job at finding soft spots in zone coverage.  If he can improve his release and route running, particularly vs man, I think he can be a very good receiver for us.  

I don’t think we (necessarily) need a burner opposite McLaurin, and Harmon may fit the role really well... but I’d still bring in competition.  At the very least, we could stand to improve our depth.  

2 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Yeah, that thread highlights the pros and cons well.  Great hands and contested catch ability, did a good job at finding soft spots in zone coverage.  If he can improve his release and route running, particularly vs man, I think he can be a very good receiver for us.  

I don’t think we need a burner opposite McLaurin, and Harmon may fit the role really well... but I’d still bring in competition.  At the very least, we could stand to improve our depth.  

18 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I like Harmon and thought he produced pretty well for a rookie. Agree also that he has room to grow. I think he can.

I believe Keim has mentioned the new staff views him as a backup. I wouldn't write him off with that label just yet but I'd bring in a cheap veteran like a Funchess or draft someone in the 4th like Bryan Edwards or Van Jefferson to push him for a starting spot next year

3 minutes ago, method man said:

I believe Keim has mentioned the new staff views him as a backup. I wouldn't write him off with that label just yet but I'd bring in a cheap veteran like a Funchess or draft someone in the 4th like Bryan Edwards or Van Jefferson to push him for a starting spot next year

I love Jefferson’s route running - especially his work off the LOS, and Edwards gives me a Garçon vibe.  I think those two, plus Pittman, are my ‘realistic’ choices to bring in as competition for Harmon.  Don’t love the FA route/options, but I can see them going that route.  

I see Harmon as a similar comp to Ryan Grant. I think Harmon has a little more athletic upside than Grant.  In comparing their combine stats, they ran almost an identical 40 time ~46, Harmon is bigger, 6-2 vs. 6ft even, and much stronger.  Otherwise pretty similar.

Grant is a really good rotational guy, good blocker, and a guy who can contribute in several ways. But he's not a #2 WR for an explosive offense.  Which was always my issue.  

I see Harmon as very similar.  I think he ABSOLUTELY should be part of the rotation, but with a guy like Harmon/Grant on the other side of McLaurin, you're basically guaranteeing McLaurin always sees double coverage, because defenses will think they can cover Harmon 1:1.  And maybe he rotates across from McLaurin with somebody else who has more speed/physical abilities.  

Which is why I would like speed on the other side of McLaurin. That forces a defense to play more straight-up. 

You need guys like Harmon.  And I think he can develop into a really good possession receiver type of guy.  

People are writing Harmon off and only after his rookie season in which he came on at the end of the year just like Haskins.  Sometimes fans make me shake my head.  Very few rookies come into the NFL and tear it up.  It takes a couple seasons sometimes 3 years to get to full speed.  Happy with Harmon and think he will be a key WR for this team especially in the red zone. 

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

People are writing Harmon off and only after his rookie season in which he came on at the end of the year just like Haskins.  Sometimes fans make me shake my head.  Very few rookies come into the NFL and tear it up.  It takes a couple seasons sometimes 3 years to get to full speed.  Happy with Harmon and think he will be a key WR for this team especially in the red zone. 

I don't think people are writing him off. It's just being realistic. Sixth rounder picks often don't make the team, let alone become bona fide starters. So you need to have other options available. No one's advocating cutting Harmon, but there is some momentum to find another option at WR. If Harmon develops, he can still force his way into more playing time.

2 hours ago, RWJ said:

I’m not writing him off.   But you have to be realistic with athletic upside.  Harmon has a ceiling that is lower than others with more athletic ability.

Shrug.   

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I see Harmon as a similar comp to Ryan Grant. I think Harmon has a little more athletic upside than Grant.  In comparing their combine stats, they ran almost an identical 40 time ~46, Harmon is bigger, 6-2 vs. 6ft even, and much stronger.  Otherwise pretty similar.

Grant is a really good rotational guy, good blocker, and a guy who can contribute in several ways. But he's not a #2 WR for an explosive offense.  Which was always my issue.  

I see Harmon as very similar.  I think he ABSOLUTELY should be part of the rotation, but with a guy like Harmon/Grant on the other side of McLaurin, you're basically guaranteeing McLaurin always sees double coverage, because defenses will think they can cover Harmon 1:1.  And maybe he rotates across from McLaurin with somebody else who has more speed/physical abilities.  

Which is why I would like speed on the other side of McLaurin. That forces a defense to play more straight-up. 

You need guys like Harmon.  And I think he can develop into a really good possession receiver type of guy.  

I don’t really get the Grant comparison. It took three years before he accomplished anything on the field. Harmon is much more physical and can go up and make a contested catch that I don’t  really remember seeing Grant make. I personally believe Harmon showed well for a rookie  all things considered.

On 3/13/2020 at 2:46 PM, Burgold said:

I like Harmon and thought he produced pretty well for a rookie. Agree also that he has room to grow. I think he can.

All three of our 2019 rookies were better than Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, and Josh Doctson. I am pleased with last year's WR class.

17 minutes ago, Tarpon75 said:

I don’t really get the Grant comparison. It took three years before he accomplished anything on the field. Harmon is much more physical and can go up and make a contested catch that I don’t  really remember seeing Grant make. I personally believe Harmon showed well for a rookie  all things considered.

I agree.  Grant was always touted as a good route runner and a physical blocker who could play any position.  

Those are all the same things which have been said about Harmon. 

Harmon is a more physical player, but he has limited explosiveness and top end speed.  

He is a great rotational guy, a good 4th option in 4 WR sets, and probably a good guy to get in when you are 3rd and short.

But I don’t see him as an every down #2 WR who is going to scare defenses and draw coverage, or force defenses to make a decision.  They’ll let him get his because his probably doesn’t beat you.  

Again, I like Harmon, and I’m sure he will benefit from a better coaching staff top to bottom. And can have a very productive year.  I just don’t see him as a starter opposite McLaurin.

Going back to 2017, Jay and Bruce wanted you to believe that Doctson/Grant on the outside were good enough because they had Reed and Crowder inside.  They were wrong. 

On 3/16/2020 at 12:07 AM, Voice_of_Reason said:

But I don’t see him as an every down #2 WR who is going to scare defenses and draw coverage, or force defenses to make a decision.  They’ll let him get his because his probably doesn’t beat you.  

With repeated consistency NFL WR's take 2 years to refine their skills.  If viewing Harmon as a #3-4 option after a rookie season where he played consistently, Id expect taking the next step would mean a #2 option and good #3 WR.  I like the 3 guys they have now in McLovin, Sims Jr, and Harmon.  Skins need a vet WR in that same skill range and a good TE.  Id expect them to draft a TE in the 4th round

Based on some of the things I read from all of you I'd be more comfortable with a vet WR to start opposite T-Mac and Simms Jr. Harmon may or may not pan out but I'd prefer he start as a #4 WR and get mixed in primarily in redzone packages....put me down as hoping we get Robby Anderson or Emmanuel Sanders. Does anyone remember the great years we got out of veteran WR Henry Ellard???? I could see Sanders as the same type of player, a vet who shows by example on the field and who still produces big time. 

Archived