Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Kelvin Harmon WR North Carolina State

Wildbunny

50 minutes ago, mistertim said:

After I watched some of his cutups, the name that first popped into my head as a comparison for Harmon was Dwayne Bowe. Similar builds and styles of play. Big, super physical, good but not elite athleticism, good but not elite route running, ok speed but not much of a top gear, excellent body control, excellent hands.

Wow, that's a blast from the past.  Do you view this as a favorable comparison for him... do you see him being successful given that comparison?

28 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Wow, that's a blast from the past.  Do you view this as a favorable comparison for him... do you see him being successful given that comparison?

Bowe was the 23rd pick, Harmon was the 206th.  If Harmon's first four years are just half of what Bowe did over first first four and then Harmon moves on, that pick is highly successful.

1 hour ago, Rex Tomb said:

Yes I'd say it's very favorable. Bowe wasn't a perennial Pro Bowler or anything but he had a good career. As @Darth Tatermentioned, if Harmon is anywhere near as productive as Bowe was then as a 6th round pick that's a huge steal (though I'm still absolutely amazed that Harmon fell so far...I figured he'd be gone by the 3rd or maybe 4th at the very latest).

And yeah, Bowe was drafted a while back but I remember him coming out of college and it immediately reminded me of Harmon. Very similar games from what I've seen of them both. 

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

After I watched some of his cutups, the name that first popped into my head as a comparison for Harmon was Dwayne Bowe. Similar builds and styles of play. Big, super physical, good but not elite athleticism, good but not elite route running, ok speed but not much of a top gear, excellent body control, excellent hands.

The body control/hands is what stood out for me.  In camp one day Haskins under threw a fade to Harmon -- Harmon stopped his momentum which was going the other way and made a diving catch moving back towards the ball where he had to scoop the ball before it hit the ground.  Sort of like the catch below but in the one below his momentum was moving forward so that one was easier.  

With NC State, he was actually a good deep ball threat in spite of not having blazing speed -- I think in part because he has good ball tracking skills and can separate.  Doctson is faster than Harmon but IMO isn't good at tracking the deep ball.  Doctson's strength seems to be the short stuff.   

you never know with receivers because the bust rate is so high but I like our chances with Harmon.  Ditto McLaurin.  And felt even better about both after watching some camp.

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

^^^ Been saying that some of you will learn the "hard way" that KH is the real deal.  It's not just about "measurables" or even stats - it's about watching a player for 3-4 years and seeing how football "savvy" they are in game situations.  Kelvin and the Ohio State WR have this instinctive ability and I am sure that some on here will be "amazed" when they see what we have been watching for years as a NC State fan. 

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

What I can't believe is hearing some people say he won't make the 53. Can't remember names, but I've heard it said more than once.

I want him not only on the 53, but on the field. Since the day we drafted him, I though he would be a solid contributor and target when we needed a sure completion.

• 2 weeks later...

RICHMOND — Kelvin Harmon noticed Josh Norman at the table alone.

It was the first night of training camp and both had arrived at dinner at the Washington Redskins’ team hotel, earlier than the rest of their teammates. So the sixth-round rookie wide receiver did something those lacking confidence certainly do not — he joined him.

For the rest of the night, the two hit it off. Harmon, whose NFL draft profile described the 6-foot-2 wideout as having “big dog swagger,” used the dinner as an opportunity to pick a Pro Bowler’s brain. Norman’s main piece of advice centered around a ideology Harmon had been hearing for most of his life, a mantra that fueled him.

“You’ve got to put in the extra work to be great,” Norman told Harmon.

Harmon agreed. After all, it’s how he made it to the NFL out of North Carolina State in the first place. But at the professional level, Harmon still has much to learn, which is why he asked Norman the following morning to work together one-on-one after practice.

...“It says he wants it,” Norman said. “It says he wants not to just to be good — he wants to be great. A lot of people don’t have that. Hell, you can tell who goes in (after practice) and who stays out.”

Harmon wasn’t the first player to approach Norman for extra reps outside of practice. But the players who usually ask, Norman said, are fellow defensive backs.

...Still, when Norman describes Harmon, he draws a comparison to a wide receiver that’s already great, one of the best — if not the best — in the league: Julio Jones.

“He’s a little baby Julio if you ask me,” said Norman, who used to regularly face Jones when he was with the Carolina Panthers. “He has the ability. He has the size. It’s just getting him acclimated, getting him in, getting him going. I mean, he looks great out here, fantastic.”

Norman said he wants Harmon to get more playing time, adding the rookie can become an elite-level receiver if he gets the opportunity.

Coach Jay Gruden has admitted it has been “tricky” to find the right amount of reps for his receivers in camp, but noted he feels good about all of them. Last week in his preseason debut against the Cleveland Browns, Harmon received 20 offensive snaps and caught two passes for 17 yards.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/aug/12/kelvin-harmon-turns-josh-norman-effort-be-great/

On 8/4/2019 at 4:07 PM, packskins007 said:

^^^ Been saying that some of you will learn the "hard way" that KH is the real deal.  It's not just about "measurables" or even stats - it's about watching a player for 3-4 years and seeing how football "savvy" they are in game situations.  Kelvin and the Ohio State WR have this instinctive ability and I am sure that some on here will be "amazed" when they see what we have been watching for years as a NC State fan. 

Yeah, his 2 receptions for 13 yards against a real defense (Clemson) blew my ****ing mind!

Image result for mind blown animated gif

1 hour ago, Given said:

He had 8 receptions for 155 yards and a TD against a real defense (Clemson) the year before. 

So why the drop off in performance on the big stage?

Edit:  Actually don't bother responding to that.  Guy is a 6th round pick for a reason, until he proves it in the NFL, I won't hold my breath or get all giddy.  

18 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

So why the drop off in performance on the big stage?

Edit:  Actually don't bother responding to that.  Guy is a 6th round pick for a reason, until he proves it in the NFL, I won't hold my breath or get all giddy.  

I don’t disagree with your pessimism regarding the chances of a 6th round WR. Why his drop in the draft?  I’ll try and summarize:  

Harmon was a prolific flanker in college. Typically, a college split-end (fastest, biggest, best hands on the team) would end up playing flanker in the pros unless he’s elite. Its usually a longer shot that a college flanker will succeed in the pros as they are typically the #2 WR in college but Kelvin Harmon has demonstrated incredible and consistent success at NC State, catching over 1,000 yards in his last two seasons. He has amazing hands and uses his body very well. He is a phenomenal receiver outside the numbers and has loads of tape of making tip-toe catches on the sideline and come-backs. I don’t think he’s ever fumbled a ball, neither. Harmon was a huge asset at NC State. 

He was projected by most most draft websites as a 2-3 round WR. However, his combine numbers were disappointing running a 4.60 sec.  40yd dash and a paltry 32.5 in.  vertical for a receiver with not the longest arms - 32 1/2 in. That right there dropped his stock. Then, scouts were hoping his pro day numbers would improve. They didn’t. Harmon ran a 4.63 sec. 40yd. Harmon is a high floor guy but likely perceived as mid-ceiling guy at the pro-level. 

Not sure about him making the 53 but I'm sure he'll get scooped up if they try to stash him on the PS.  

Seems like a mild dilemma with Harmon.  I'd rather cut a borderline guy and let him play ST and spot duty on the 53 instead of risking him being taken off our PS.  This is the type of player that will benefit from a year of experience at this level and the upside is huge.  I'd also rather ditch Doctson and his achy feet then lose the prospect of a guy that fights for the ball twice as hard as Doctson.  

On 8/4/2019 at 4:07 PM, packskins007 said:

The best OL coach in the country chief among those things ncst fans were able to enjoy.

Got some suddenness to him:

Does Harmon have special teams potential? There's part of me that would love to just let a whole crop of receivers grow up with Haskins since we don't have a great gray beard. Let Jordan Reed and Davis act as the safety net/security blanket and groom the rest of the squad together.

As for Harmon, just doubling down on one point.  The comparisons to Marko Mitchell and other no name later round types and undrafted guys IMO aren't apt.  I liked Harmon on my own from watching him before digesting what the draft geeks thought of him.  But when I got to reading what others thought of him ironically three of my favorite evaluators also really liked Harmon -- Ledyard, Jeremiah, and Kelly (i like Kelly just on receivers)

Harmon had much more hype than Mitchell types.  Does that mean anything to the bottom line?  Nope.  Hype or no hype means nothing.  But I do think the narrative about Harmon is unusual for the standard 6th rounder, plenty thought he'd be going way higher.   My point is I wouldn't dismiss him based on where he was taken in the draft.  Among all the guys taken that day, I was most jazzed when they took Harmon.  He wasn't my favorite of the players we took but it was the most stunning fall for me.  I was whining about them not taking Harmon on the draft day thread on the third day after each round.  It was cool to see Kyle Smith later on in an interview saying that they had more discussions about Harmon than anyone on draft day and considering him in the 4th and the 5th and were both surprised and elated that he was still there in the 6th. 

2 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Not sure about him making the 53 but I'm sure he'll get scooped up if they try to stash him on the PS.  

Seems like a mild dilemma with Harmon.  I'd rather cut a borderline guy and let him play ST and spot duty on the 53 instead of risking him being taken off our PS.  This is the type of player that will benefit from a year of experience at this level and the upside is huge.  I'd also rather ditch Doctson and his achy feet then lose the prospect of a guy that fights for the ball twice as hard as Doctson.  

Maybe, maybe not. Harmon may or may make the 53, but for as much as he is hyped, we're still talking about a guy picked in the supplemental picks of the 6th round (206th overall).  Its clear the league doesn't value Harmon as high as many draft "experts". Or else the entire league wouldn't pass on him en masse 6+ times. I hope Harmon does well and succeeds, but most 6th rounders do not.

Archived