Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 MLB Thread

ixcuincle

45 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Per the report:

I think this is a decent enough rationale (certainly a lot of the players involved are with other clubs, and it's tough to pick and choose which players to punish), but also probably motivated by MLB's bottom line (don't want to tarnish Bregman, he's super marketable, etc). 

Yea,  I get it. And to me it sounds weak. They want to make the narrative “we hammered the organization to the extent of our ability... now let’s move on.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I agree, what you wrote is garbage rationale, but that's not the rationale in the report, if you read it.  

It's a point of reference for how these things usually go.  

I didn't read the entire report. Was going off what you posted. 

The NCAA by and large is the worst sports governing organization. Every bit as corrupt as the IOC but the IOC does punish cheaters.  

"The Ballpark at the Palm Beaches" is the West Palm Beach spring training facility shared by the Astros and the Nationals.  As you walk the concourse during games there are lots of trash cans around to dispose of litter.  I hope it becomes a thing for Nats fans to bang on those trash cans every time they throw trash away.  Just reach down and BAM BAM BAM, then casually toss in the hot dog wrapper and walk away. 

• Haha 5

I wonder what's going to happen with Boston. It's not like they are adverse to cheating, even at the executive level. Remember when they cheated the international signing process to get Moncada? And that trade netted them Sale and a World Series...possibly also by cheating! Woof. 

7 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Someone on the radio said that mild cheating in baseball is ok. However, bringing technology into it is what makes it against the rule. Any truth to that?

Stealing signs has been done forever. It is part of the game. I loved trying to figure out opposing signs when I played in high school. If I was on 2nd you're damn right I'm staring down their bench & catcher so I can signal the batter. But u introduce technology and you're done. Should be a lifetime ban & heavier hit to the franchise.

Edit...I should add binoculars & any other device to see the signs would apply

Edited by EmirOfShmo

1 minute ago, Simmsy said:

Someone on the radio said that mild cheating in baseball is ok. However, bringing technology into it is what makes it against the rule. Any truth to that?

Yea. Sign stealing is generally part of the game and it's on the pitcher and catcher to change things up with runners on. But if the batter values his ribs, he won't look back at the catcher's signs. 

And some players DON'T want to know what's coming as they think it screws them up. There's a funny anecdote in the book 'Moneyball' where Jaime Moyer is pitching to David Justice and he keeps fouling off pitches to the point where Moyer was like like, dude what do you want me to throw? And Justice managed to psyche himself out of the at bat because of it. 

On the other side MANY pitchers "cheat" with substances. Batters only mind if they're loading the ball. A little pine tar or sticky sunscreen will help the pitcher control the ball and make it less likely to hit them in the head. Plus they know their pitchers are using it as well so managers don't make a stink about it. Unless you're being obvious about it (see Pineda, Michael - dude had a river of goo on his neck and got tossed a few years ago). 

21 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

But u introduce technology and you're done. Should be a lifetime ban & heavier hit to the franchise.

Agreed. Once you leave the playing field to cheat, that's when it's egregious. It's one thing for your runner at second to figure the pitch sequence and it's another to involve team staff, cameras and such. 

• Like 2

It's not just technology. It's technology or another system to warn the batter.... like how many bangs on a trash can will signal a change-up.

Baseball has so many rules and unwritten rules. How you can watch your own HR, when a bat flip is ok, etc.

If you have a guy on 2nd and he's watching/waiting for contact.... he's also seeing the signs the catcher is throwing down and what the pitch is doing. Guys have been trying to let their hitter know what's coming forever. I don't think it's anywhere close to having the home replay booth signaling to the dugout who then bangs on a trashcan.

3 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I wonder what's going to happen with Boston. It's not like they are adverse to cheating, even at the executive level. Remember when they cheated the international signing process to get Moncada? And that trade netted them Sale and a World Series...possibly also by cheating! Woof. 

Some baseball people are thinking Cora might get the ban hammer

• Like 1

Nats fans acting like they got a WS stolen from them and hating the Astros because of it instead of remembering that they, in fact, just won a World Series is pretty hilarious.

:ph34r:

34 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I definitely think Cora should get the Pete Rose treatment. 

Good, **** him.  Even though I don't think Pete Rose should have gotten the Pete Rose treatment, I hope Cora does.  

• Haha 2