Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 MLB Thread

ixcuincle

38 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

thats all it took to get Mookie Betts?

seriously?

Dodgers took on Price, which looks to become a really ****ty contract in order to have Betts.  Boston wouldn't trade Betts unless they could offload a significant chunk of the Price contract.

I know the Sox want to get under the luxury tax threshold but I'm not sure how the Dodgers are under it.  Their payroll has to be huge, especially after this trade.

7 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

When did the red sox become a small market franchise that parts with arguably the 2nd best player in the game just to cut salary?

Price was underperforming his large contract and Betts is a pending FA who wasn’t going to re-sign with Boston. They saw the opportunity to dump Price and get a solid young player back, just for giving up a year of Betts. They might not be better in 2020 for this move, but almost certainly will be in 2021-22. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

When did the red sox become a small market franchise that parts with arguably the 2nd best player in the game just to cut salary?

They want to stay under the luxury tax and unload Price in the process. Price was expected to make 32 million this year and 96 million overall. They already have huge concerns about Sale (and his whiplash delivery) and owe him 115 million guaranteed. Moving Betts just helps them dig out of the liability a bit as they probably weren't going to re-sign him. 

Plus they have a new person in charge of the roster, so I'd imagine they want to do something akin to what the Yankees have done in accumulating younger better players.

1 minute ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Plus they have a new person in charge of the roster, so I'd imagine they want to do something akin to what the Yankees have done in accumulating younger better players.

Betts is 26 or 27 and is probably the best player in the game not named Trout. The chancr of acquiring young and better are slim to none in that situation 

Even if Betts didnt want to be there, i'd be pretty pissed with the return if i were a red sox fan

9 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Even if Betts didnt want to be there, i'd be pretty pissed with the return if i were a red sox fan

Yea, I understand from a winning in 2020 perspective. They're trading a possible MVP type season for taking 96 million off the books. They committed that money to open a window to win championships, had three opportunities and cashed in on one.

If they don't think the window is open in 2020 with Betts and Price, then you do something to get closer to opening the window again. For the Red Sox, it's getting under the tax and then allocating that cash that they would have spent on Price, probably in 2021+. 

My Orioles tried to keep their window open and they did a bunch of dumb stuff like extending Chris Davis and signing guys like Cobb. Complete failure. 

An obvious attempt to distract the conversation away from the cheating scandal.

Here's how you fix baseball: stop the ****ing cheating.

BTW, my take of the Betts trade: the last time Boston dumped a generational player for cash didn't work out well for them.  Of all franchises, you would think they'd be hesitant to make that move.

• Haha 1

On 2/12/2020 at 6:54 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

BTW, my take of the Betts trade: the last time Boston dumped a generational player for cash didn't work out well for them.  Of all franchises, you would think they'd be hesitant to make that move.

I mean, when they dumped NOMAAAAHHHHH in mid-season in 2004, they went on to win the World Series. Maybe they're thinking more on those lines than selling Ruth!