Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 MLB Thread

ixcuincle

30 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I don't really understand this. I mean, I guess you have to weigh the revenue for 60 games vs the revenue of life without a good portion of your team (due to performance related complications from covid, or outright death).

No, I doubt baseball will be back (on schedule at least) in 2021, but I don't see the logic in just saying "**** it," and throwing everyone out there. Financially,  or humanely,  I just do not see it

Unfortunately, that’s where we are at this stage.  You can only delay for so long.  There’s so much uncertainty about the rest of the year and 2021, that holding off resuming could be crippling across the board.  There’s too much revenue at stake, and not just from games being played.  

The networks who air these leagues need them to come back too more than anything else.  If your FOX, ESPN, CBS, NBC, etc, you need to air these games to make up for ratings, and ad revenue generated.  This is the big piece of the puzzle to pay attention to.  Networks now more than ever are aching for action to resume in the sports world.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

Marlins first team to get hit pretty hard with multiple players testing positive at once. I highly doubt the season lasts through August.

And then went out and beat the crap out of the Phillies...

I'd be shocked if they finish this season, the Marlins outbreak 3 games into the season I think is a sign of things to come

9 hours ago, CRobi21 said:
Marlins first team to get hit pretty hard with multiple players testing positive at once. I highly doubt the season lasts through August.

Eight more and 2 coaches test positive.  I mean, the Marlins games just have to be canceled for 2 weeks, no? If not the whole thing.

The NBA had it right with the  bubble.  But that's easier to pull off in basketball.

Edited by justice98

Hey, they tried it, lasted 3 games. 

But who could have guessed that the team playing in Florida, where Covid is running wild, wouldnt make it very far without an outbreak?  /s

1 minute ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

How do you tell a team that is coming in behind them to use that locker room or play against a team that just played the team with mass infections?

You just shouldnt play.  

14 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Hey, they tried it, lasted 3 games. 

But who could have guessed that the team playing in Florida, where Covid is running wild, wouldnt make it very far without an outbreak?  /s

You just shouldnt play.  

sadly, I agree.

They'll try until another team has a breakout. Then another. Then maybe stop. If I were a player/team. I'd refuse to go to Miami and now, Philly. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

How do you tell a team that is coming in behind them to use that locker room or play against a team that just played the team with mass infections?

They will clean and sanitize the locker rooms after every game I would imagine.  Everywhere, not just when this happens.  They are playing it as safe as they can (MLB), was watching the Braves game and they were talking about how all the players are staying in their individual hotel rooms, using an app to order food, splitting up the players across 4 team buses (15 per bus - social distanced), etc.

9 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

So the Marlins are the first testing positive ****show of the COVID era. I was CERTAIN that it would be my O's. 

If anyone, it'd be a Florida team. Florida is that guy that always shows up at parties that no one invites.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

They will clean and sanitize the locker rooms after every game I would imagine.  Everywhere, not just when this happens.  They are playing it as safe as they can (MLB), was watching the Braves game and they were talking about how all the players are staying in their individual hotel rooms, using an app to order food, splitting up the players across 4 team buses (15 per bus - social distanced), etc.

It's a locker room. good luck making everyone feel safe about that. 

13 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

It's a locker room. good luck making everyone feel safe about that. 

There are professional cleaning companies that can clean and sanitize a locker room with methods that traditional cleaning can't guarantee.  I get what you're saying, which is most likely why the Phillies/Yankees game got postponed, to clean it up and to probably wait and see if any Philly players test positive.

https://www.coit.com/blog/your-business/professional-covid-19-cleaning-services-essential-businesses

I find it incredible that these owners would risk the lives of talented players they depend on.

I mean of course I'd never expect rich folks to care about low level, easily replaceable schlubs like us (just put a bolt gun in the back of our heads and keep it moving), but one in a million type of coveted athlete's?

This is shocking

13 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I find it incredible that these owners would risk the lives of talented players they depend on.

I mean of course I'd never expect rich folks to care about low level, easily replaceable schlubs like us (just put a bolt gun in the back of our heads and keep it moving), but one in a million type of coveted athlete's?

This is shocking

You would think their "Ferrari's" wouldn't be expendable.......a big problem is players are being tested every other day, instead of daily.  The Marlins played two spring training games in Atlanta last Tuesday and Wednesday.  They would have gotten tested Friday in Philly, then again on Sunday in Philly.  From the end of the Friday night game, players, coaches, etc. could have gone out (against protocol or advice) and gotten it and it wasn't known until the Sunday testing.

Putting trust in everyone taking it seriously (players, coaches, trainers, etc.) is a long shot.  There is always that one guy that doesn't give a ****.  They need to adjust the protocols and make them even stricter if they are going to continue playing games.  It took four days of games for this to happen.  Crazy.

Check this out:  https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/29299497/a-day-mlb-covid-protocols

• Like 1

Either Tony Clark makes a statement and says the players won't continue or you'll see a domino effect of one player opting out that'll set off a chain of a bunch of others doing the same.  Either way, I don't see how the season continues.  Question is if it ends within the next week or so or if it's a slow decline.

1 hour ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

You would think their "Ferrari's" wouldn't be expendable.......a big problem is players are being tested every other day, instead of daily.  The Marlins played two spring training games in Atlanta last Tuesday and Wednesday.  They would have gotten tested Friday in Philly, then again on Sunday in Philly.  From the end of the Friday night game, players, coaches, etc. could have gone out (against protocol or advice) and gotten it and it wasn't known until the Sunday testing.

Putting trust in everyone taking it seriously (players, coaches, trainers, etc.) is a long shot.  There is always that one guy that doesn't give a ****.  They need to adjust the protocols and make them even stricter if they are going to continue playing games.  It took four days of games for this to happen.  Crazy.

Check this out:  https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/29299497/a-day-mlb-covid-protocols

"The next Ferraris are in the minors. All these guys are expendable." 

-Billionaire Owners

Having said that, I'm sure the paychecks coming in helps a lot of players dismiss what happened with the Marlins and keep playing. 

• Like 1