Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 MLB Thread

ixcuincle

10 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Joey Votto led the Reds with a .226 batting average during the regular season. How is that even possible? How the hell did they make the playoffs?

I dig this new format. I hope the Twins can win tomorrow. Poor guys deserve one, plus I dislike the Astros.

I don’t think he had the highest average but I’m pretty sure nobody in that lineup batted above .260 which is pitiful.  Hopefully Trevor Bauer will hightail it outta there after they lose to Braves this series.  Nats need another big arm & even tho he’s a character somebody has to replace Parra! Ha

5 hours ago, -JB- said:

I don’t think he had the highest average but I’m pretty sure nobody in that lineup batted above .260 which is pitiful.  Hopefully Trevor Bauer will hightail it outta there after they lose to Braves this series.  Nats need another big arm & even tho he’s a character somebody has to replace Parra! Ha

Ah okay. This MLB app must be off then. I just googled and I guess there was some guy named Stephenson who hit .294. Winker was around. 260 as well. Not many good hitters on that team for sure. Castellanos had a down year, that guy was tearing it up in Detroit.

I feel like Cleveland always churns out great pitchers who then go on to flop elsewhere. Kluber mainly comes to mind.

2 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Ah okay. This MLB app must be off then. I just googled and I guess there was some guy named Stephenson who hit .294. Winker was around. 260 as well. Not many good hitters on that team for sure. Castellanos had a down year, that guy was tearing it up in Detroit.

I feel like Cleveland always churns out great pitchers who then go on to flop elsewhere. Kluber mainly comes to mind.

Well he only pitches one inning this year which sucks but Trevor Bauer had a career year this season for Reds.

8 games today!  

I'm torn.  I'm really torn.  Didn't think I'd like the rule with having a runner on 2nd base to start extra innings.  Ended up really liking it.  It puts immediate pressure on the defense and teams have to play small ball.  Little things like being able to bunt and move the runner over are impactful.

Didn't like the idea of having this many teams in the playoffs, I hated that it's like the NHL where over half the league gets in.   But man, today is looking like one of those first days of the NCAA tournament where there's just games on everywhere and ****'s going haywire, those days are always fun where, pre Covid, you'd take a long lunch at a bar, have some beers and spend the rest of your afternoon at your desk not working real hard, checking scores and looking at your bracket.  

So...like I said, I'm torn.  I can't get mad at 8 baseball games on today.

7 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Votto does indeed have the highest average amongst qualified Reds batters.  There are only three qualified batters on the Reds, however. Besides Votto, those two are Nick Castellanos who batted .225 and Eugenio Suarez who batted .202.

However, even if you extend qualified players to a lower threshold, like only 2 PAs per team game, there are only three players above him, the best of which is Jesse Winker who hit .255 in in 183 PAs.   Kyle Farmer hit .266, but in only 70 PAs, or a littte more than 1 PA/GP.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

8 games today!  

I'm torn.  I'm really torn.  Didn't think I'd like the rule with having a runner on 2nd base to start extra innings.  Ended up really liking it.  It puts immediate pressure on the defense and teams have to play small ball.  Little things like being able to bunt and move the runner over are impactful.

Didn't like the idea of having this many teams in the playoffs, I hated that it's like the NHL where over half the league gets in.   But man, today is looking like one of those first days of the NCAA tournament where there's just games on everywhere and ****'s going haywire, those days are always fun where, pre Covid, you'd take a long lunch at a bar, have some beers and spend the rest of your afternoon at your desk not working real hard, checking scores and looking at your bracket.  

So...like I said, I'm torn.  I can't get mad at 8 baseball games on today.

I think some of these rule changes are here to stay.  Especially DH in the NL.

I don't think the MLB would go to 8 playoff teams.  But I do think they extend to playoffs, probably to six teams, so three wild cards teams.  Division winner with worst record will have to face lowest WC team, other two WCs would play each other.  I think MLB realizes more teams in the playoffs are good for the sport - makes for more interesting drama at the end of the regular season as there is a higher probability of teams fighting for the last spots and division winners fighting to get that first round bye.

11 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

I think some of these rule changes are here to stay.  Especially DH in the NL.

I don't think the MLB would go to 8 playoff teams.  But I do think they extend to playoffs, probably to six teams, so three wild cards teams.  Division winner with worst record will have to face lowest WC team, other two WCs would play each other.  I think MLB realizes more teams in the playoffs are good for the sport - makes for more interesting drama at the end of the regular season as there is a higher probability of teams fighting for the last spots and division winners fighting to get that first round bye.

terrible on the DH. If anything, the AL should get rid of it. More teams in the playoffs are ok if that 1st round is shorter like best out of 3 and the best teams get a bye.

Twins in trouble again.  Can they possibly lose 18 straight postseason games?

I never understood why people want to see people pitchers hit.  "Strategy" is the common response I hear.  That can fly out the window.

So they aren't doing the runner on second base during extra innings anymore? 

Edited by abdcskins

4 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Reds-Braves just concluded a marathon game, in which neither team could plate a run until the Braves in the bottom of the 13th, winning 1-0.  I think it set some sort of record.

God that game took me back to that 18-inning game against the Giants in 14.

• Like 1

God I can't stand Carlos Correa. What an arrogant douchebag.

“I know a lot of people are mad, I know a lot of people don’t want to see us here, but what are they going to say now?” Correa said. “We’re a solid team, we play great baseball and we won a series on the road, in Minnesota, so what are they going to say now?”

1. One of 2 under-.500 teams to make the "playoffs"

2. Beat a team that hasn't won a playoff game--not a series, a playoff GAME--since George W. Bush was in office.

3. Still Cheated

4. Still lost to the Heroes of Baseball in the last legitimate WS, since 2016.

5. Still an asshole.

• Like 1