Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 MLB Thread

ixcuincle

• ixcuincle changed the title to 2019 MLB Thread (Trout re-signs with Angels, 12yr, 430m)

Might end up as the best player ever if he stays healthy and keeps up this pace.  He's ridiculous.  At first glance, IMO, his WAR total is worth it.

Kudos to the Angels for keeping him in one uniform for his entire career.  I hope they have enough money left to build a team around him, baseball's best player needs to be in the postseason.

• Like 3

In 5 years when he's 32, dealing with a bunch of nagging injuries, and hitting .275 with 25 homers...paying him $36 mil a year will be interesting. 

Good for him but that's a horrible contract for baseball. His, Machado's, and Harper's are bad for the health of the game.

Edited by The Evil Genius

I just don't understand how baseball is the one dishing out these monster contracts. NHL and NFL and even the NBA contracts don't even come close. 12 years...430 MILLION dollars. Imagine a NFL contract like that. And you thought 6 years and 88m was a lot. 

Ok IX, I’ll throw you a bone with a Harper comment. It’s pretty clear to me that Phillies ownership sold him on the idea that his contract was flexible enough for them to pursue other top tier FAs, perhaps even mentioning Trout by name. After all, Bryce alluded to Phillies going after Trout numerous times in his first week with the team. 

It’s absolutely hilarious to me that the Angels squashed that idea so quickly after he signed. Wonder if Harper is wishing he had a do-over right now... LAD 4yr $180m looking pretty nice. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215
  • Haha 2

Just now, skinsfan_1215 said:

Ok IX, I’ll throw a bone with a Harper comment. It’s pretty clear to me that Phillies ownership sold him on the idea that his contract was flexible enough for them to pursue other top tier FAs, perhaps even mentioning Trout by name. After all, Bryce alludes to Phillies going after Trout numerous times in his first week with the team. 

It’s absolutely hilarious to me that the Angels squashed that idea so quickly after he signed. Wonder if Harper is wishing he had a do-over right now... LAD 4yr $180m looking pretty nice. 

Bryce on radio publicly recruiting Trout to come to Philly...then Trout is like "hell no" and re-signs with Angels LOL 

get rekt

• Haha 2

Bargain

12 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

In 5 years when he's 32, dealing with a bunch of nagging injuries, and hitting .275 with 25 homers...paying him $36 mil a year will be interesting. 

Good for him but that's a horrible contract for baseball. His, Machado's, and Harper's are bad for the health of the game.

One of these is definitely not like the others...

Edited by haithman
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

I just don't understand how baseball is the one dishing out these monster contracts. NHL and NFL and even the NBA contracts don't even come close. 12 years...430 MILLION dollars. Imagine a NFL contract like that. And you thought 6 years and 88m was a lot. 

No cap... 

NBA contracts are actually a lot worse regarding AAV.  Otto Porter is making $20+ mil per year..  

MLB is killing the market regarding total value.  Just something to consider.   Chris Davis of the Orioles signed a contract for 7 years / $161 million.   Lebron's last contract was 4 years / $153 mil.  Chris Davis has a 'larger' contract than Lebron James.  

MLB is going the way of the NBA with their contracts, because they understand players sell in those two leagues.   Thats why the NBA has such a big time social media presence.  NFL and NHL, unless you're truly invested, could change the jerseys on the players and most of the casual fans would have NO idea who was who.  MLB and NBA, there's no pads, no helmet, the faces of the players are easily visible.  Exposure is exponentially more visible.   Same thing with Soccer.  Those players are infinitely more marketable.  I'd be willing to bet that if Antonio Brown and Leveon Bell were to walk down the streets in a city outside of Pittsburgh, Brown would be overwhelmed with people, and most would have no idea who Bell was... simply because Brown was on Dancing with the Stars, and The Masked Singer.   He's recognizable outside of the football field. 

Top end marketable players are getting PPAAIIDDD.  Meanwhile the next tier of the MLB players are getting left behind.   

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Cant agree with that. They are generational level talents getting paid what the market dictates

Whats bad for the game is that Trout and Machado can walk down almost any street in america and go completely unnoticed

I know Trout got the bag, but he owed it to the players union to go out on the open market.

Unless Betts has another historic season, Trout just capped what everyone can earn next offseason. Especially when you consider what happened with MLB free agency for the last two years.

3 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

They are generational level talents getting paid what the market dictates

Trout didn't sign for what the market dictates.

1 minute ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I know Trout got the bag, but he owed it to the players union to go out on the open market.

Unless Betts has another historic season, Trout just capped what everyone can earn next offseason. Especially when you consider what happened with MLB free agency for the last two years.

Why does he owe the players union to go out on the open market?  He doesn't owe anything to anyone..  ESPECIALLY since the CBA is going to expire in 2021, so if you think there's a spending freeze now... the owners are likely to seriously play hardball when that happens... which is the same time that Trout becomes a free agent.   If he was to wait until he's a free agent, and the league strikes, the owners may push harder for a cap, or try to find a way to deflate these contracts which could seriously cost Trout a lot of money.  Add to that the fact that there are very few big name players coming available between now and then, and the current superstars are locked up for the next decade.  The market is not going to continue to inflate between now and 2021.  Harper's deal set the market, so Trout's free agency would likely play out in a very similar fashion.  

21 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Trout didn't cap anything cause no one is as good.  No one can justify a salary that large right now.  Betts, maybe, but Betts has gotta do it again as you alluded to.

44 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I dont think his choice was Philly just to play with a person, who possibly would come down the road...the Harper hate is real!

44 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Bryce on radio publicly recruiting Trout to come to Philly...then Trout is like "hell no" and re-signs with Angels LOL 

get rekt

Trout is a Philadelphia fan through and through, but obviously feels loyal to the Angels.  I'd also suggest the Angels overpaid to retain him.

As I told my friends.  Through and through the Angels always seek to put out a contender and there was a good chance they wouldn't let him go.

49 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Each MLB team sells seats and media rights to 162 games per year.  NHL and NBA are about half that.  NFL is about 1/10th.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Trout didn't cap anything cause no one is as good.  No one can justify a salary that large right now.  Betts, maybe, but Betts has gotta do it again as you alluded to.

That's why he capped it.

24 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Why does he owe the players union to go out on the open market?  He doesn't owe anything to anyone..  ESPECIALLY since the CBA is going to expire in 2021, so if you think there's a spending freeze now... the owners are likely to seriously play hardball when that happens... which is the same time that Trout becomes a free agent.   If he was to wait until he's a free agent, and the league strikes, the owners may push harder for a cap, or try to find a way to deflate these contracts which could seriously cost Trout a lot of money.  Add to that the fact that there are very few big name players coming available between now and then, and the current superstars are locked up for the next decade.  The market is not going to continue to inflate between now and 2021.  Harper's deal set the market, so Trout's free agency would likely play out in a very similar fashion.  

That's a fair point, but he is a member of the union.

13 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

That's why he capped it.

That's a fair point, but he is a member of the union.

Yes he is, but it's also the Union that very likely views him as an outlier.  As much as the union wants players to get paid... they want ALL their players to get paid and Mike Trout seriously hinders that.  Trout, Harper, Machado, and Arenado combined count for $132.5 MILLION PER YEAR.  They are burning the owners and preventing the 2nd / 3rd tier of player from getting paid.   Trout is not guaranteed to get $430+ mil if he goes to free agency, because I'd imagine one of the most important things for the owners in the next CBA is to bring AAV down.  I think the union signs off on it because they want to bring the AAV for the other 99.9997% of the players in MLB up.

Edited by OVCChairman
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Yes he is, but it's also the Union that very likely views him as an outlier.  As much as the union wants players to get paid... they want ALL their players to get paid and Mike Trout seriously hinders that.  Trout, Harper, Machado, and Arenado combined count for $132.5 MILLION PER YEAR.  They are burning the owners and preventing the 2nd / 3rd tier of player from getting paid.   Trout is not guaranteed to get $430+ mil if he goes to free agency, because I'd imagine one of the most important things for the owners in the next CBA is to bring AAV down.  I think the union signs off on it because they want to bring the AAV for the other 99.9997% of the players in MLB up.

All I will say is this, Mike Trout is worth much more than Clayton Kershaw is yet is only getting 5 million more a year on AAV. He could have gotten a 50 million a year deal if he held out.

11 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

All I will say is this, Mike Trout is worth much more than Clayton Kershaw is yet is only getting 5 million more a year on AAV. He could have gotten a 50 million a year deal if he held out.

I disagree... and it's pure speculation my part.  I don't think he even gets this same contract if he waits til 2021 because of what is going to happen with the CBA. 

Edited by OVCChairman

4 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Bryce catching L's left and right these days :ols:

can't say that bama didn't deserve it. He basically prolonged his free agency with his dramatics then signed last second for a deal that got eclipsed a few days later lol

• Like 1

I couldn't really care less about baseball but I hear about it just due to listening to sports radio so I always know what is going on with the Nats, and damn when I heard this news today it made me LOL in my car.  After all the dramatics of Harper and being more tiresome than the Cousins contract, it just made me laugh how he immediately got trounced dollar wise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1