Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 MLB Thread

ixcuincle

12 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Jeter gets to the HoF, apparently 1 vote shy of being unanimous according to my buddy who's a Yankees fan.  It's not good enough that the guy won like, 5 rings, 3k hits, awards, famous plays, living legend, etc...nope, he's ****ing butthurt that he's ONE VOTE SHY of being unanimous.  It's never enough for these assholes.  

Happy about Larry Walker.  I've come around on him in recent years.  He was a beast outside of Coors Field, too.  Got hurt a lot but he dominated when he was on the field.  

That year he batted .379 I’m pretty sure he hit like .460 @ Coors and .280 on the road lol 

17 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Jeter gets to the HoF, apparently 1 vote shy of being unanimous according to my buddy who's a Yankees fan.  It's not good enough that the guy won like, 5 rings, 3k hits, awards, famous plays, living legend, etc...nope, he's ****ing butthurt that he's ONE VOTE SHY of being unanimous.  It's never enough for these assholes. 

You could put them in a bind by asking them if they think Jeter deserves a higher percentage of the vote than Babe Ruth.  Ruth got 215 of 226 votes (95.13%).  Jeter got 99.74% of the votes. Sticking to Yankees, Joe DiMaggio got about 89% and Mantle got about 88%.  

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

You could put them in a bind by asking them if they think Jeter deserves a higher percentage of the vote than Babe Ruth.  Ruth got 215 of 226 votes (95.13%).  Jeter got 99.74% of the votes. Sticking to Yankees, Joe DiMaggio got about 89% and Mantle got about 88%.  

Different times.  Babe Ruth was a member of the first voting class and in DiMaggio and Mantle's times there wasn't a big hangup about % and who voted for them and who was stupid enough not to vote for them.  If done today, their percentages would probably be higher.

9 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Different times.  Babe Ruth was a member of the first voting class and in DiMaggio and Mantle's times there wasn't a big hangup about % and who voted for them and who was stupid enough not to vote for them.  If done today, their percentages would probably be higher.

Don't frame the question as historical.  Frame it as "does Jeter deserve it."

Or just tell them to **** off.  Either way.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Don't frame the question as historical.  Frame it as "does Jeter deserve it."

Or just tell them to **** off.  Either way.  

As much as I hate the Yankees, there are no real reasons to not vote for Jeter.  Even though he was a ****ty defender, he still did everything else really well.

32 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

As much as I hate the Yankees, there are no real reasons to not vote for Jeter.  Even though he was a ****ty defender, he still did everything else really well.

Sportswriters can be petty - maybe someone was mad that he refused to vacate SS for ARod? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

The vote against is actually from the former statue thing in the Marlins outfield that he got rid of. It's upset that it got fired.... and also that he's running that Org as a farm team for the Yankees that he'll give sweetheart trades to for limited returns. 

OldHonoredAmethystinepython-size_restric

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Sportswriters can be petty - maybe someone was mad that he refused to vacate SS for ARod? 

This.  Plus I think some people just love being contrarian, and like exercising the power they have. 

And I'm  still salty Ripken didn't get 100% 

27 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

This.  Plus I think some people just love being contrarian, and like exercising the power they have. 

And I'm  still salty Ripken didn't get 100% 

I don't necessarily think it's contrarian.  I think some people feel that "Jeter is going to get elected, therefore I don't need to vote for him...my vote could be used for a guy like Billy Wagner or Fred McGriff."

Ripken still has one of the highest vote percentages ever, I'm not mad at it.  

Praise Jezus!

Major League Baseball will test robo umps during spring training games

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/01/23/major-league-baseball-will-test-robo-umps-during-spring-training-games/

Robo umps are coming to major league spring training, but they won’t make it to the field yet.

The automated balls-and-strikes software, alternatively called “ABS” or “ESZ” (electronic strike zone), will run in the background during exhibition games for testing and development purposes, according to Major League Baseball and umpiring officials.

The technologically enabled balls-and-strikes system involves an umpire wearing an earpiece while in his normal stance behind the catcher. The software tracks the flight of the ball and declares to the umpire “ball” or “strike,” and the official announces the call.

MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred told Fox Business on Wednesday that the league would implement the automated system in spring training games in the 2020 season, which would mark a major acceleration in the timeline of bringing an electronic strike zone to big league action, even if only in exhibition games.

“We’re going to be using it during spring training and in some of our minor leagues this year,” he said. “The way it works is the camera calls the ball or strike [and] communicates to an earpiece that the umpire has in his ear. And from the fan’s perspective, it looks exactly like it looks today. We believe, over the long haul, it’s going to be more accurate. It will reduce controversy in the game and be good for the game. We think — we think it’s more accurate than a human being standing there.”

This is a huge step forward, although it doesn't solve the problem of umpires needing attention so long as they remain on the field.  

More at link about the umpire's union fighting this.  

Edited by PleaseBlitz

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Praise Jezus!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/01/23/major-league-baseball-will-test-robo-umps-during-spring-training-games/

This is a huge step forward, although it doesn't solve the problem of umpires needing attention so long as they remain on the field.  

Five years from now, the Houston Astros will be found guilty of tampering and hacking Robo Umps to get favorable calls.

• Haha 1

On 1/24/2020 at 4:49 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

Praise Jezus!

Eh, I'm not into it.  ****ing about balls/strikes is one of the things that makes baseball great.  

More Wally Backman, less technology, please.  

Extremely NSFW but probably the funniest thing you'll see all day.

• Haha 1