Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 MLB Thread

ixcuincle

Four seasons is a ridiculously small sample size.  Tigers world series losing team had Fielder and Cabrera both in top ten.  Buster Posey only got a few million less than top paid position players. 

So if the Nats resigned Rendon and paid a few million in CBT penalty, they weren't going to contend?  Or every GM in the majors will turn down taking on Trout's contract even if Angels put him on waiver and you could claim him outright? And when Soto commands top 10 money by the time he hits free agency, we better let him walk right?  Give me a break.

34 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Four seasons is a ridiculously small sample size.  Tigers world series losing team had Fielder and Cabrera both in top ten.  Buster Posey only got a few million less than top paid position players. 

So if the Nats resigned Rendon and paid a few million in CBT penalty, they weren't going to contend?  Or every GM in the majors will turn down taking on Trout's contract even if Angels put him on waiver and you could claim him outright? And when Soto commands top 10 money by the time he hits free agency, we better let him walk right?  Give me a break.

I mean it goes farther back if you look into it.

The Rangers didn't come close to winning with A-Rod. After he left they made it to back to back World Series.

The Giants made one World Series with Bonds. Shortly after he retired they won 3 in 5.

The Angels haven't come close after signing Pujols to that mega deal. Meanwhile the Cards who let him go made it back to the World Series a year after he left and have been a solid year in year out contender since.

History speaks for itself. If you want to win championships, you don't dole out big bucks for one position player.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I mean it goes farther back if you look into it.

The Rangers didn't come close to winning with A-Rod. After he left they made it to back to back World Series.

The Giants made one World Series with Bonds. Shortly after he retired they won 3 in 5.

The Angels haven't come close after signing Pujols to that mega deal. Meanwhile the Cards who let him go made it back to the World Series a year after he left and have been a solid year in year out contender since.

History speaks for itself. If you want to win championships, you don't dole out big bucks for one position player.

Yankees won with ARod.  Tigers made the series with Fielder and Cabrera.  Red Sox won with Manny and Papi getting paid.  Team construct is about value.  You need discounts somewhere.  But you can put together a winner in any number of different ways.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 7:27 PM, bearrock said:

Yankees won with ARod.  Tigers made the series with Fielder and Cabrera.  Red Sox won with Manny and Papi getting paid.  Team construct is about value.  You need discounts somewhere.  But you can put together a winner in any number of different ways.

The Tigers haven’t been close to relevant since Cabrera signed that massive contract a couple seasons after they made the WS.  

4 minutes ago, -JB- said:

The Tigers haven’t been close to relevant since Cabrera signed that massive contract a couple seasons after they made the WS.  

Cabrera and Fielder were still getting paid top 10 money in the year they went to the series.  They gave him an 8 year extension that started when Cabrera hits age 33.  That's a stupid contract.  It would be a stupid contract even if they gave it to a dominant pitcher.

4 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

Scott Boras has secured over a billion dollars for his clients this offseason.

Boras should be in Cooperstown one day. You cant write the history of baseball without him.

Never thought of this. Absolutely true--he has changed baseball.

• 2 weeks later...

This seems shockingly appropriate.  I figured more of a slap on the wrist.  

https://theathletic.com/1529253/2020/01/13/exclusive-mlb-hands-down-unprecedented-penalties-for-astros-after-sign-stealing-investigation/

In the most dramatic ruling of his five-year tenure, baseball commissioner Rob Manfred came down hard on the Astros Monday for illegally stealing signs during their World Series championship season in 2017.

The unprecedented penalties are Manfred’s response to the damage the Astros inflicted on the sport’s integrity, and should serve as a powerful deterrent to any team that engages in such conduct in the future.

The penalties, according to sources with knowledge of Manfred’s decision, include:

• A one-year suspension for general manager Jeff Luhnow.

• A one-year suspension for manager A.J. Hinch.

• The forfeitures of first- and second-round draft picks in both 2020 and ’21.

• A fine of $5 million, the maximum allowed under MLB’s constitution.

• The placement of former Astros assistant GM Brandon Taubman on baseball’s ineligible list.

Taubman was that doucheloaf that was inappropriate to the female sportswriter after the Astros won a game in the WS this past year.  Do you think MLB was like "....yeah, well, I think we're off to a good start here with these punishments...but who was that guy that yelled at the reporters and was a jerk?  Yeah, let's **** with that guy while we're at it!"

If so, I applaud them.

Though, I do find it interesting that Luhnow and Hinch get a 1 year suspension each.  But what's it mean to be on the ineligible list?  Is that a lifetime ban like Pete Rose got?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

But what's it mean to be on the ineligible list?  Is that a lifetime ban like Pete Rose got?

It is an indefinite suspension, not necessarily a lifetime ban.  The Commissioner can put you on it and also take you off of it.

Jenry Media of the Mets was put on it for repeatedly failing PED tests, but Manfred reinstated him last year.  I think George Steinbrenner was put on the list for a few years, I can't remember what it was for though.  Probably just being a dick.  

I think there was some thought to how best to stop this going forward.  You can't engage in a cheating of this magnitude without high ranking officials in the FO and manager signing off.  Some are complaining that they'd gladly trade a WS ring for 2 years of 1st and 2nd, but for Hinch and Luhnow, they just lost a year's salary and this will forever be a stain on their resume.  Hopefully, this will dissuade others from doing the same.

Yea, I agree with the general sentiment.  This seems harsh enough to deter this happening much in the future.  Interesting that Alex Cora was (heavily) involved with both teams that have gotten caught, but I haven't seen him mentioned anywhere (I believe the RedSox are still being investigated).  He might warrant inclusion on the Commissioner's List.  

Generally, I think punishments are usually too light (especially in the NCAA) because governing bodies don't want to undercut their profit centers.  The Astros are a top team in a huge market, so kudos to Manfred for not letting them off the hook.