Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Landon Collins and the #21 debate...

LaRonDontLikeUgly

Landon Collins and the #21 debate...  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Should Landon Collins Be The First Redskin To Wear #21 Since Sean Taylor?

• Yes, his genuine admiration for ST21 has been well-documented. Let him pay homage to the Legend!
    • No, #21 is off-limits forever.
    • Perhaps in the future... but Landon must earn it on the field as a Redskin first.

Every time this conversation comes up its obvious how bad it needs some form of closure. 

Not everyone is going to agree with the decision, but the topic is so raw part of me wants one to be made so we can move on from it.  Didn't Sean's family give blessing to Ryan Clark to wear it in practice? I don't know about ya'll but I get flashbacks to that homecoming game against the Panthers with Sean's daughter there for the coin flip.  Looked just like him, enough is enough. 

And no, I don't want anyone to tell me about how I never met him like that matters, I have a 21 patch tattooed on my chest that I showed to his dad at training camp, said he'd never seen one before and I felt that meant a lot to him, he knows his son means a lot to us as a fan base.

If every NFL player in todays game only played for four seasons and died, why would any player want to wear that number for that team again and why would a team even offer it up to a new player?

Think about all of the great players in today's game, that list includes Tom Brady.

Its going to come down to family and organization, but If I was a great player and admired that person I would want my own number unlike some.

You really want to hand over sean's number to someone who came from a divisional rival?  Even if he is some sort of star?

I’ve never been a fan of the fixation this franchise has with numbers. As far as I’m concerned only 1 number should be off limits; 33, and only because we retired it. All other numbers should be open to anyone who wants to wear it. At the least the guy who assigns numbers can then tell the player that wants to wear 28, “hey, you know who wore that number and what you’ll have to live up to? HOF player, hope you’re up to it.”

edit: I didn’t answer the poll because none of the answers fit my opinion.

8 minutes ago, amm0409 said:

You really want to hand over sean's number to someone who came from a divisional rival?  Even if he is some sort of star?

Division rival angle is new, same time Sonny is considered an all-time Redskins legend.  I rarely here the fact he played for Philly first come up, nor that Sam Huff started with the Giants.  Think that angle is overrated, maybe if he was coming from Dallas I'd think about it, but he's not.

I'm officially over the Redskins and their infatuation with safeties that idolized Sean Taylor.  Cravens, then Swearinger and now Collins.  I'm not saying I didn't like Swearinger and I'm not saying I don't like Collins (Cravens can **** all the way off) but this whole..."the fans should like this guy cause he loves a Redskins icon, omg, he plays with such heart and passion, just like Sean Taylor" crap is just so overblown and tiresome.  

Given that, I don't care what happens.  Collins is a great player and if they're gonna give him that number it should only be for a great player.  But if he doesn't get it, it's not a big deal.  I think the family should decide.  

49 minutes ago, amm0409 said:

If every NFL player in todays game only played for four seasons and died, why would any player want to wear that number for that team again and why would a team even offer it up to a new player?

Dude, wtf?

Its not a debate.  #21 is permanently retired, the only thing keeping Sean Taylor out of the Hall of Fame was being murdered in his house, so the least we can do is keep one number out of 99 retired.

Also, how insane would you have to be to give it to a guy just because "He really liked Sean Taylor"?  We havent seen him play a down for us, where he may play 5 games and be terrible, be injured for the next 2 years, or cause a major rift with teamates.  At least make someone earn the right to something special instead of just handing it to them when theyve yet to do a thing.

6 hours ago, earl said:

IMO only #44, #28 and #33 are off limits.    to get #81 you need to ask Monk for permission.  to get #21  you should have to wear #36 for a year and earn it.   if you can't then you need to give up #36 too,  for the next person who wants to try. 

Why ask permission for 81 if 44, 33, & 28 are off limits ?

I don't kniw what the right thing is here. It really seems like a fitting way to honor ST 21 but I would defer to Seans parents.  They might or might not want Collins in that # for their own personal reasons

5 minutes ago, TheBlueIndian said:

Why ask permission for 81 if 44, 33, & 28 are off limits ?

I don't kniw what the right thing is here. It really seems like a fitting way to honor ST 21 but I would defer to Seans parents.  They might or might not want Collins in that # for their own personal reasons

The reason I don't like this is bc if Sean's parents say no they may come across as selfish.  Or they may feel they have to say yes or Sean's legacy looks bad.  The family shouldn't be put in this position.  Snyder needs to step up and retire the number. End the debate.  Most numbers are retired bc of the same old song: guy plays awhile for the team and has a lot of success.  This is a different song.  Terrible tragedy, a man / father died while protecting his family.  While he was a revered Redskin.  This is about more than stats and victories like all the other retired numbers are.  Show the man and his family respect that they deserve.  Retire the number.

I'll post what I did in the other thread since it seems like a better fit here:

Letting Collins wear 21 is just setting him up for failure. As a fanbase we love to raise good players up to hero status so that we can tear them down from a greater height. Just let the dude play and see if he's good enough to build a legend of his own.

2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I'll post what I did in the other thread since it seems like a better fit here:

Letting Collins wear 21 is just setting him up for failure. As a fanbase we love to raise good players up to hero status so that we can tear them down from a greater height. Just let the dude play and see if he's good enough to build a legend of his own.

Totally agree.  Too much pressure wearing #21 and when Collins comes up short of expectations which he certainly will, then it would be a distraction.

Keep the number retired....let him spat up his face mask and wear #36

The answer isn't no, it is an absolute HELL NO. 

Doesn't matter if some of y'all are ok with it.  Some of us aren't, and likely never will be. ZERO reason to divide the fan base and if they make that mistake, notch it up as one more bush league misstep this front office has made. 

Retire MEAST's number already.  Give us closure. Period. 

Hail. 

11 hours ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I don't get that either. The year he died he was easily one of the best defensive players in the NFL, if not a DPOY candidate. He had always been a one man wrecking crew and playmaker but that season he'd transformed into a truly elite all around player at every level that an offense had to account for on every snap. During the 2007 season when he was playing that single high safety role he was essentially shutting down the entire deep half of the field all on his own because of his instincts, range, and vision. 

Even in 2006, he was all over the field making the best of awful, awful plays by a WTF defense.

Keep in mind that the Hand of God play (blocked field goal/field goal on untimed final play) was 2006, too.

10 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Right.

Other than 2006, the year Grilliams defense was trash because of numerous Injuries, forcing Taylor to play cleanup everywhere on the field (I think he had an insane number of tackles that year too), he was a routine playmaker pretty much since the moment he put that Skins jersey on.

In '07 he was playing like one of the best in football overall, and was on pace probably for double digit Int's and a DPOY for sure. No spin at all there, really. Wasn't like you needed to go to pff (I know it didn't exist yet, but still...) to know how great a player he waa. It was self evident

He was number two in the goddamn league first in the conference in interceptions while DEAD and missing two weeks.  I mean, come on.

Threads like this are really where you learn who to take seriously and who just wants to go against the grain to be "enlightened" in some sort of way.  It's exhausting.

8 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Its not a debate.  #21 is permanently retired, the only thing keeping Sean Taylor out of the Hall of Fame was being murdered in his house, so the least we can do is keep one number out of 99 retired.

Also, how insane would you have to be to give it to a guy just because "He really liked Sean Taylor"?  We havent seen him play a down for us, where he may play 5 games and be terrible, be injured for the next 2 years, or cause a major rift with teamates.  At least make someone earn the right to something special instead of just handing it to them when theyve yet to do a thing.

I don't know, man.  Jason Campbell took 17 and made Doug Williams look like trash in comparison.  All 58 touchdowns each season were just insane.  I'm so glad that we gave him the number as a vote of confidence.  He seriously lived up to and surpassed all expectations.

Plus liking a player means you're as good as that player.  Being the top paid safety makes you the best hashtag arch deluxe.  Yadda yadda yadda.

Landon, make your own name for yourself.  Don't be Sean Taylor 2.0 anymore than Sean Taylor was Ronnie Lott 2.0.  You got this.

28 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

I don't know, man.  Jason Campbell took 17 and made Doug Williams look like trash in comparison.  All 58 touchdowns each season were just insane.  I'm so glad that we gave him the number as a vote of confidence.  He seriously lived up to and surpassed all expectations.

Jason Campbell through 58 TD's a year while here?...is this sarcasm?

I think if it’s a special player with a special connection to Taylor, then you absolutely let him wear it. It’s seems Collins is approaching that level based on the gift of the jersey and his reaction, etc. It sounds like he might be the guy to wear it. But I don’t think you just give it out to anyone in the future. I think it should be one of those rare numbers for rare guys.

The one thing I don’t understand is the arguement of “it’s up to his family”. What does that have to do with anything? The Redskins own that number and can do with it as they please. I do like that they have not given it out to anyone since that’s shows they respect what Taylor did and they are honoring his life after being senselessly murdered. But if the Redskins feel the time is right, its 100% up to them and them alone. 

1 hour ago, NewCliche21 said:

Even in 2006, he was all over the field making the best of awful, awful plays by a WTF defense.

Keep in mind that the Hand of God play (blocked field goal/field goal on untimed final play) was 2006, too.

He was number two in the goddamn league first in the conference in interceptions while DEAD and missing two weeks.  I mean, come on.

Threads like this are really where you learn who to take seriously and who just wants to go against the grain to be "enlightened" in some sort of way.  It's exhausting.

Yeah, you and I have both been here for a long time. I remember when the board seemed like 50/50 on him at times. "Headcase," "Troublemaker," etc, basically not worth the trouble, despite the overwhelming talent.  And the .media types around here HATED that he didn't talk to them.

Wasn't until that year, when his play (and that in depth UnWise Mike article that painted a radically different image than what was out there ) changed a ton of people's opinions (not all, but most) and he became THE face of the team, even more than Portis. And he inspired what amounts to a generation of DB's.  I thi k that says it all

Archived