Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Landon Collins and the #21 debate...

LaRonDontLikeUgly

Landon Collins and the #21 debate...  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Should Landon Collins Be The First Redskin To Wear #21 Since Sean Taylor?

• Yes, his genuine admiration for ST21 has been well-documented. Let him pay homage to the Legend!
    • No, #21 is off-limits forever.
    • Perhaps in the future... but Landon must earn it on the field as a Redskin first.

8 hours ago, Murphs56 said:

There are plenty of numbers this franchise doesn't re-issue and they haven't been worn for decades but only #21 seems to be debated all the time. Let the number rest.

Likely because we're dead in the middle of the era that safeties were influenced by Taylor.  Players coming out of college now were in Peewee and middle school football watching him play in the NFL.  It was also the start of youtube so kids around the country could see him play.  Players coming into the NFL now don't idolize Art Monk, or Darrell Green... so there's less of a strong feeling of the current generation wanting to pay homage to the player by wearing the same jersey. 

I never cared for retiring numbers because the number didn't mean anything to me.  44 never meant much to me unless there was a Riggins above it.

I also thought that wearing someone's number was a way of honoring them so I'll never understand some fans push back on it.

For me 21 reminds me of the Gibbs 2.0 era, which was an underrated time in Redskins history (probably for the lack constant winning).  Redskins fans who were in the area know and felt the feeling of togetherness around that time.  Some of my favorite moments and players came around this time, so to me 21 represents connection to that time.  At least for me

image.png.c71fb875dc1e4aa0fd0ebba58137d6a3.png  

On 3/14/2019 at 4:58 PM, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I don't think we can assume he was an all-time great or first ballot HOFer like I read all the time. 

We definitely can't assume he would have stayed on the Redskins.  He could have easily pulled a Champ Bailey and gone to a competent organization the moment his rookie contract was up.

12 hours ago, hogdirty said:

For me 21 reminds me of the Gibbs 2.0 era, which was an underrated time in Redskins history (probably for the lack constant winning).  Redskins fans who were in the area know and felt the feeling of togetherness around that time.  Some of my favorite moments and players came around this time, so to me 21 represents connection to that time.  At least for me

In 2005 I went from Alaska to Idaho to Denver to watch Joe Gibbs...I met people there that were from the DC area and they came out to watch Gibbs..I could not believe the amount of Redskins fans..

57 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

We definitely can't assume he would have stayed on the Redskins.  He could have easily pulled a Champ Bailey and gone to a competent organization the moment his rookie contract was up.

With all do respect, and I mean all do...the Redskins would have never ever traded him..he wouldn't have skipped town either.

Lol, i cant believe there are people that think he wouldnt have been a 1st ballot hall of famer or the assumption to be ridiculous...sorry but you dont know football then you already know hes was an exceptional football player ST21 took over games something redskins have only had one other time in the passed 25 years and that was short lived as well, if we are talking football the. ST21 was the greatest player we had arguably for the pasted 30 years....we will be lucky to have someone on the team that can replicate how he played at half his level...

29 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Lol, i cant believe there are people that think he wouldnt have been a 1st ballot hall of famer or the assumption to be ridiculous...sorry but you dont know football then you already know hes was an exceptional football player ST21 took over games something redskins have only had one other time in the passed 25 years and that was short lived as well, if we are talking football the. ST21 was the greatest player we had arguably for the pasted 30 years....we will be lucky to have someone on the team that can replicate how he played at half his level...

Completely agree.  I believe it was on his football life segment where they talked about one of our home games against the Packers.  They explained Sean had a good feeling that day about the game and he went out and had 3 or 4 picks.  Had it not been for the rain it could've been six.  One of our coaches said Sean baited Farve by playing closer to the line and was able to not only turn and catch the receiver but get an interception as well.  They had never seen that kind of speed and ability before and even Farve commented on it.  No doubt in my mind he would've been one of the greatest Redskins and safetys ever and most definitely would've been first ballot.

3 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Trent Williams says hi, the overrating of Sean needs to stop. His final year was his only special year where he showed more than just flashes and was actually finally becoming a great player. 

It's really odd that the franchise never bothered to retired 28, 44 and 81. When a new player comes here and sees that numbers are retired they should already know it's for a major reason and that maybe they shouldn't even think about wearing it.

21 Shouldn't be retired but shouldn't be worn again if that makes sense...because he basically died in that number and never had a choice to give it up. Not fair to put the family on the spot to make the choice because they don't come off looking right saying No. 

5 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Trent Williams says hi, the overrating of Sean needs to stop. His final year was his only special year where he showed more than just flashes and was actually finally becoming a great player. 

Dude Trent is a great player no doubt however Sean carried an entire defense from day one and had many games with pivotal plays that carried us to victory show me one redskin that did that in almost 30 years..

36 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Dude Trent is a great player no doubt however Sean carried an entire defense from day one and had many games with pivotal plays that carried us to victory show me one redskin that did that in almost 30 years..

Santana Moss says hi.

So does Adrian Peterson... Guaranteed we wouldn't have won as many games as we did with out him.

4 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

I coulda sworn we were under .500 when he played.  Not like we won a lot.  I guess we coulda been further under .500, but since when do we celebrate that?

3 hours ago, justice98 said:

I coulda sworn we were under .500 when he played.  Not like we won a lot.  I guess we coulda been further under .500, but since when do we celebrate that?

ST was more than wins and losses.  He did things that were above expectation.  Brett favre came out and said it himself.  He had a physical ability that was beyond a level of what we had seen for a long time.  He was Saquan Barkley on a bad Giants team.  Calvin Johnson on a bad Lions team.   Adrian Peterson on a bad Vikings team.  When you turned on the game there was little doubt who the best player on the field was, regardless of stats or record.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Hopefully organization does something so its not officially retired but not expected to be available.  Like I mentioned, this thread is like ripping at a scab until it bleeds again.

That's what we've been doing, though.  Only 33 is retired, but nobody wears 7, 9, 21, 28, 44, 81 and I'm sure I'm missing a couple.  I don't see why they don't just retire them and be done with it.

39 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

That's what we've been doing, though.  Only 33 is retired, but nobody wears 7, 9, 21, 28, 44, 81 and I'm sure I'm missing a couple.  I don't see why they don't just retire them and be done with it.

I know, that's why I'm surprised we at having this convo on wearing 21 yet again.  This conversation secretly aggravates me because of this, this unofficial nonsense is aggrevaing a wound that shouldn't keep getting reopened like this. 

• TK locked this topic

Archived