Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Landon Collins and the #21 debate...

LaRonDontLikeUgly

Landon Collins and the #21 debate...  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Should Landon Collins Be The First Redskin To Wear #21 Since Sean Taylor?

• Yes, his genuine admiration for ST21 has been well-documented. Let him pay homage to the Legend!
    • No, #21 is off-limits forever.
    • Perhaps in the future... but Landon must earn it on the field as a Redskin first.

Dan Snyder gave Landon Collins an autographed Sean Taylor jersey last night, and the young safety broke down in tears.  The topic of Landon potentially wearing #21 seems to be hot on Twitter + amongst network analysts right now, so I thought I'd toss out a little poll.  Where does everyone stand on this?

This is pretty much how i feel about Sean Taylor and his jersey number.

Ed Sheahin @NFLPhotoGuy
FollowFollow @NFLPhotoGuy
More

When I heard him get choked up, I couldn't help but feel that way myself. I want him to have it if Sean's dad wants him to have it. I'm not worried about the living up to the number part. That will take care of its self.

In the end, it should be up to Sean's family, but I voted that it should not be given. 21 was Sean's number, he owned it. Being killed in the prime of his career, in the middle of the season too, means to me that he never gave up the number like a player who retired. Call it stupid sentimentality, but I don't view number #21 as not being used because it's retired; I see it as not being issued because Sean still owns it.

With that line of reasoning, since Sean Taylor isn't here, it would only be right that the Taylor family would be able to decide in his place.

IMO only #44, #28 and #33 are off limits.    to get #81 you need to ask Monk for permission.  to get #21  you should have to wear #36 for a year and earn it.   if you can't then you need to give up #36 too,  for the next person who wants to try. 

We haven't seen a player with Sean's passion...Sean Taylor was #21, jersey numbers do matter..ya think of any players in the past or present and there number comes to mind instantly...tell me jersey numbers don't matter..psssst jersey numbers put the NFL in NFL.

If a 7th round fringe player passed away during the season we would not be holding his number like this. Sean made that number great and I think it's time for someone else to make it great as well. He only played 4 years and his number would not have been retired if that was his last season and he was traded or something. 

I put no - but I'm swayable. Landon gotta put it out there in the B+G before I'll accept him taking Sean's number. If he proves himself, and ST's family are cool then I'll accept it, but honestly I'd prefer to never see a player take the field in 21 again for the Skins.

Does anybody else have one of these plaques?.

IMG_20190314_142242.jpg

I can't help but to think mine will be one of a kind with the placement of the official NFL logo sticker right over the last couple letters of Redskins..

There were 2,500 of those plaques made..mine is #0798.

3 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Does anybody else have one of these plaques?.

I can't help but to think mine will be one of a kind with the placement of the official NFL logo sticker right over the last couple letters of Redskins..

😂 Washington Red Skis

GLYDHj.jpg

Just now, skinfan2k said:

Why do people care so much about a number? 

Because..did you like football when you were a kid? did you play football for your school when you were a kid?.. Players still to this day pick numbers that mean something very special to them ...for fans who just decided meh ok I'll like football now it's easy to understand why a number would be no big deal to them... I've Loved football since a small child and as a child there were players I loved and idolized so their number on their Jersey stuck out to me...it's easier to talk about a player using their number..

I think he should get it.  If he had only started talking about Sean when he signed here then hell no but he is clearly genuine in his admiration and this can be documented all the way back to High School.  I get the idea that retiring the number is a tribute but I also think allowing Collins to wear it is a tribute and one that will be part of the teams future as well as the past.  I do however agree that his family should get the final say.

Just now, Burgundy Yoda said:

Poll is currently 17 to 10 against your opinion. Clearly that's not the popular answer at this moment

The poll is irrelevant. The only thing that has changed is that people don't care about the Redskins. We've been over this before.  

1 hour ago, dyst said:

People need to chill the hell out regarding jersey numbers. It’s just a number. Sean was good when he was here but we act like this is Jordan we are talking about. The guy played 4 years that’s it.

This is my take both on non-retired jersey numbers and on Sean Taylor. And, yes, I know that puts me in the minority. 

I think Taylor was good. He had a couple great years (2005 and 2007), a good year (2004), and a bad year (2006). If things stayed on that trajectory, he may have become a perennial Pro Bowler. I don't think we can assume he was an all-time great or first ballot HOFer like I read all the time. 

He was good. What happened to him was a tragedy. But he is now ridiculously overrated because he was murdered. Maybe that's OK...but it's true. 

Archived