Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Landon Collins and the #21 debate...

LaRonDontLikeUgly

Landon Collins and the #21 debate...  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Should Landon Collins Be The First Redskin To Wear #21 Since Sean Taylor?

• Yes, his genuine admiration for ST21 has been well-documented. Let him pay homage to the Legend!
    • No, #21 is off-limits forever.
    • Perhaps in the future... but Landon must earn it on the field as a Redskin first.

23 hours ago, dyst said:

People need to chill the hell out regarding jersey numbers. It’s just a number. Sean was good when he was here but we act like this is Jordan we are talking about. The guy played 4 years that’s it.

If people need to chill out over a number then why even wear a number, but their name on their back.  To every safety out there who wants to wear #21 or #36 for this team already tells me the significance of A NUMBER.  Players who think about wearing that number here show me who they truly are; numbers aren't meaningless.

If Brady played four years, Rodgers played 4, Jerry Rice played four, Peyton so on and so on (they got shot and died)....  Im tired of people even having a discussion about someone else wearing #21 for the redskins 

I would never even request the # as a player especially from the family;  It should never even be requested in the first place (it shouldn't even exist except in our stands and in our memories as redskins fans, organization and Seans Family)

14 minutes ago, amm0409 said:

If people need to chill out over a number then why even wear a number, but their name on their back.  To every safety out there who wants to wear #21 or #36 for this team already tells me the significance of A NUMBER.

If Brady played four years, Rodgers played 4, Jerry Rice played four, Peyton so on and so on (they got shot and died)....  Im tired of people even having a discussion about someone else wearing #21 for the redskins 

I would never even request the # as a player especially from the family.  It should never even be requested

I cant see the family getting upset at someone wanting to wear #21 to honor Sean. If anything proud is the word we should be looking at, you have all these younger safeties coming into the league who looked up and idolized him. 

If the team isn't willing to officially retire the number, then I vote yes. Snyder has had plenty of time to do that, yet he hasn't. Same goes for all numbers we've "unofficially retired". Either do it or put them back in rotation. I mean, if no one can wear them anyway, just retire them.

But, none of our opinions matter. It needs to be up to his family for now. If his dad/daughter would be okay with it (what with Sean being their son and father, respectively), then the opinions of a bunch of people who didn't know him personally are meaningless.

11 minutes ago, tibbidoe said:

If the team isn't willing to officially retire the number, then I vote yes. Snyder has had plenty of time to do that, yet he hasn't. Same goes for all numbers we've "unofficially retired". Either do it or put them back in rotation. I mean, if no one can wear them anyway, just retire them.

But, none of our opinions matter. It needs to be up to his family for now. If his dad/daughter would be okay with it (what with Sean being their son and father, respectively), then the opinions of a bunch of people who didn't know him personally are meaningless.

I pretty much agree with all of this. If the family is hurt by it, then that's a different story. Our opinions on this matter are meaningless indeed and people getting upset about someone wearing the number should maybe take a step back and quit clinging to the past. 

20 minutes ago, amm0409 said:

If people need to chill out over a number then why even wear a number, but their name on their back.  To every safety out there who wants to wear #21 or #36 for this team already tells me the significance of A NUMBER.

I would never even request the # as a player especially from the family;  It should never even be requested in the first place (it shouldn't even exist except in our stands and in our memories as redskins fans, organization and Seans Family)

There are two sides to the argument. Those who think the number should be idolized and those who think it is just a number. I am of the camp that thinks it is just a number. I mentioned Michael Jordan as an example. If you are to retire a jersey number, then it should be reserved for players who are of that stratosphere and even then, I don't necessarily think numbers should be retired. If Collins wears #21, that in no way deters from what Sean Taylor did/accomplished.

I feel like Skins fans in this instance get caught up in the hype of Sean Taylor. His legend grows by the year and the more we struggle the more his legend grows. He was 10 feet tall, faster than a speeding bullet and able to leap the highest building. In reality, he averaged 3 INTs, .05 sacks, and 60 tackles per year.  He was an exciting player, who hit hard, had good stats and unfortunately had his life cut short.

55 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

I want Landon to wear 21, as long as the family of ST gives their blessing of course. Listen, the kid idolizes ST, If the jersey number is going to motivate and hype him up pregame to give 150% for this organization why wouldn't you want him to wear it.

And I still say no, organization should officially retire the number.  My father died year later after Sean and he was born before boston braves/ Boston Redskins.  As much as family should be considered no one is Sean (his daughter was only 2 yrs old) and his number should only exist as a memory to us fans, organization and family.  

I still strongly disagree with anyone wearing the number, I don't care how many games Sean played/ stats or if the player who wants his number is a god.  I don't want to see the number suited up on another player on the field

48 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

I want Landon to wear 21, as long as the family of ST gives their blessing of course. Listen, the kid idolizes ST, If the jersey number is going to motivate and hype him up pregame to give 150% for this organization why wouldn't you want him to wear it.

I would certainly defer my opinion to that of the family, but who cares if he idolizes Sean?  Plenty of other players do, but that has zero impact on how they play. Zero.

My son loves the Paw Patrol. I'm not strapping a pup pack to him because he'd ****ing kill himself and he would be so into it that he'd tear Ryder's ACL.

Just because you like someone and want to be just like someone doesn't make you that someone's peer.

Even if I were cool with the number being worn, I'd want him to make a name and number for himself.

Seans grave and we want to talk about anybody wearing Sean's number?  Numbers aren't important right...

Im sick to my stomach even thinking our organization fans would be willing to give out his number.

Be a pro, let him rest in peace, have his number, let myths grow, stories told whatever.  Only reason others want his number because they want to be like him or they idolized him, get super strength (lol) just them wanting to wear the number is off.  The idea of any player asking permission to wear 21 is ridiculous; having to ask the family GTFOH

6a00e008c67258883401a3fca571ef970b-500wi

1 hour ago, amm0409 said:

Seans grave and we want to talk about anybody wearing Sean's number?  Numbers aren't important right...

Im sick to my stomach even thinking our organization fans would be willing to give out his number.

Be a pro, let him rest in peace, have his number, let myths grow, stories told whatever.  Only reason others want his number because they want to be like him or they idolized him, get super strength (lol) just them wanting to wear the number is off.  The idea of any player asking permission to wear 21 is ridiculous; having to ask the family GTFOH

6a00e008c67258883401a3fca571ef970b-500wi

You act like if someone wears his number they are spitting on his grave. 

Guess what, Miami still issues out #26. I will tell you, Sean Taylor was on a different stratosphere compared to everyone else in college. He was much better in college than he was in the nfl and yet they didnt retire his number, for good reason. You dont retire a number due to a tragedy, you retire it for their accomplishments.

Every good, or high potential safety that walks into our lockeroom will be compared to or will compare themselves to ST because of fans and this stupid organization that cant turn the page fully. I'm extremely tired of players getting compared to him too, because hes on a pedestal that Ronnie Lott in his prime couldnt reach currently. "Yeah Ronnie is great, but Sean was THE perfect blend of size, speed and ability... he could have been even better." I guarantee you would see posts like that 

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

You dont retire a number due to a tragedy, you retire it for their accomplishments.

Disagree with you here. I feel the bottom line is you retire a number out of respect.  Or some may say it's due to his impact on the organization.  Usually it's done due to a career of accomplishments. In this case, a fan favorite being murdered that touched a lot of people tied to the organization, it had a massive effect.  You retire the number.  Not necessarily due to on field accomplishments, but out of respect to the man and the impact on the organization.  

3 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

You act like if someone wears his number they are spitting on his grave. 

Guess what, Miami still issues out #26. I will tell you, Sean Taylor was on a different stratosphere compared to everyone else in college. He was much better in college than he was in the nfl and yet they didnt retire his number, for good reason. You dont retire a number due to a tragedy, you retire it for their accomplishments.

Every good, or high potential safety that walks into our lockeroom will be compared to or will compare themselves to ST because of fans and this stupid organization that cant turn the page fully. I'm extremely tired of players getting compared to him too, because hes on a pedestal that Ronnie Lott in his prime couldnt reach currently. "Yeah Ronnie is great, but Sean was THE perfect blend of size, speed and ability... he could have been even better." I guarantee you would see posts like that 

Spitting?  C'mon man.  Thats messed up.  You act like you could care less if anyone dies in this world

College?  you really want to compare college to Pro?  You don't make money playing ball in college.  College is social life, doesn't matter if you go to Harvard or junior college, arguably a waste of time for a piece of paper and some athletes don't even get the piece of paper.

In a way you have lost me...but I will continue

Awe;  Im sorry fans get tired of listening to others compare new safeties to Sean.  Guess what who cares if they do or not.  

Was he good or NOT?  If you think he sucked do you still think others should wear the jersey?   ME; NO.  To some fans they only turned on the TV because of Sean, and to some fans Sean gave those fans HOPE and then he suddenly dies leaving fans wonder WHAT COULD OF BEEN from then on.

Death is personal and if numbers don't mean anything then why is it such a big deal if any organization doesn't allow another player to wear a number.  For you to even judge me and assume anyone wearing his number is like spitting on his grave is messed up, but in fact proves that some would think that way and maybe we should think about that (but not get derogatory if anyone views it that way).   For you to believe tragedy is less then accomplishments is messed up.

I used that image because "NUMBERS ARE SIGNIFICANT" and can have meaning that's it.  If numbers weren't significant players wouldn't want a certain number or numbers wouldn't get traded, bought etc...  Right now in Free agency players are constantly talking about what numbers they want, like is AP going to have to give up 26 etc.... etc...  Numbers are directly correlated to the player in it and leaves behind a bit of history and if it wasn't significant players wouldn't care what number they wore.  

Seans NUMBER should REST IN PIECE and because it was cut short, he can't come back to life the NUMBER shouldn't either as A REDSKIN.

If Landon Collins wants to wear 21 he will officially have to wear #21.1-21.9 His got to use a decimal in my opinion

I say wear 36. That way 21 stays unofficially retired (though the team really needs to drop the "unofficial" aspect) while Landon Collins can still honor Sean Taylor by wearing his old number. Seems like the easiest solution.

2 hours ago, amm0409 said:

Spitting?  C'mon man.  Thats messed up.  You act like you could care less if anyone dies in this world

I would see if Dan Snyder is hiring a security detail to watch that Jersey number, you'd be the guy for the job. I guess now I dont care about death, which is odd because we're talking about a Jersey #. I care that he died, I dont care if someone wears 21. Its that simple

21 Should not be worn on the field again.  Snyder should retire the number this year.  I understand that Collins grew up a ST fan and wants to play like him but come on.  DJ did it the right way with the 36 and tapped facemask.  Plus Snyder gives him a game worn ST jersey which a hear was one of only two he has.  A guy coming over from the Giants?!  I understand the front office has to woo free agents but now that he has signed start earning everything else out on the field as a Redskin first.

Archived