Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: How are you choosing to be a Redskins fan right now?

How are you choosing to be a Redskins fan right now?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. How are you choosing to be a Redskins fan right now?

• Angry Fan - you're livid and are actively involved in finding ways to let Snyder know how unacceptable this all is to you and many others...#firebruceallen #burnitalltothegroud
    • Depressed Fan - you're angry but more than that, you're just too drained emotionally to do anything about it...you're likely to hang out in the Tailgate for the forseeable future
    • Self-loathing Fan - you hate Snyder, hate the coaches, hate a lot of the players, but mostly hate yourself for still hanging on...you praise the Cowboys to deflect from the reality that you won't leave
    • Apathetic Fan - you just don't give a **** anymore...you're not angry and you're not happy...you're not gonna root for another team but spending Sundays at IKEA with your wife/gf doesn't sound so bad anymore
    • Cautiously Optimistic Fan - yeah, you hate how things seem to be going but, dammit, this is your team and you enjoy seeing the positives amidst the negatives..every season is a new season
    • Homer Fan - you don't let other people's doom and gloom get in your way of enjoying following the Redskins...looking forward to free agency and the draft, baby! This will be our year!
    • Laughing Fan - you find the dysfunction of the team, the tabloid-ish takes by the media, and the hysteria of the fanbase entertaining....you just grab some popcorn, sit back, and take it all in
    • Al Davis Fan - just win, baby...don't care about anything else but that. If we're not winning, I'm pissed. If we are winning, I'm good. Just win. Period.

I've reached a point where I don't really care.  I expect that they will make all the wrong moves and suck.  If, by some miracle of God, they accidentally make a few good moves and show some promise, I know that they will **** it up and break my heart once again.  It's a given.

It would be nice if whoever is in charge of permitting the new stadium went to Dan and said, "Look, we'd like to bring the team back into the city, but we're worried that it will not be full, long term.  We need the fans to have faith that you are doing what's best for the team, so you'll need to remove Bruce Allen from all football operations, permanently, before these negotiations will move forward."

Its hard to answer this question because I'm definitely a fan. I answered apathetic because I just don't care about a lot of stuff. But don't get me wrong. I was excited when we were 6-3, and I was (kinda still am) saying we could/should have been 7-3 and that may have been a totally different season. Not to mention the idea of us not playing Marshall and keeping Smith healthy, us not cutting Bibbs, letting go of DJ and other decisions we made. If we had made the playoffs, or if we do next year I'm going to get excited and may go to a game (wherever it is). 

But the feeling is kinda like the Bullets pre-Gilbert or post Gilbert knee injury (pre-John Wall). There's always this "so you're saying there's a chance" feeling, but there's also a fundamental knowledge that we don't have the players, coaches, scouts, environment or winning culture to do anything of the nature it would take to win a championship. Some people want a rebuild but that wouldn't do anything but put new pawns in place to be taken off the board later.

So what do I do? I like the draft because I think there's a lot of math going on there  - predicting draft picks, predicting the impact of a player, predicting the coaching environment or offense/defense that would work best, correlating college stats to pro stats, etc. That goes with both the players I like and the players we pick. So if we get another RG3 or a Guice or a whoever, I can't help but get excited about that player and say "maybe", but a part of me just knows its not going to happen. So I'll settle for what I've been settling for. Who's the Clinton Portis of this era? Who's the Sean Taylor? Who's the Santana Moss? Who's the Chris Cooley? Who's the Trent Williams? I can go higher and say who's the Joe Gibbs or who's the Charley Casserly (my childhood hero before the Norv era) but I don't see those guys in the org. Maybe Kyle == Casserly, but I don't want to put him there yet. 

I can still get excited about the players and be apathetic about the organization and our chances of doing anything on a large level. But I know certain guys are going to show up every play and give their all. And what's even more, certain guys are just good to root for. Its how I feel about the Wizards (now during the Gilbert and Wall eras). I know our chances are the same as before, but now I just enjoy watching the team and rooting for the players. Sure we're making the playoffs more often but I don't have some false hope that we'll win it all or even make conference finals, but its fun to watch a guy be able to put up 30 any night of the week.

Maybe one day we'll change the culture and have a winning organization again. But sports is still an outlet for me and I'm not going to use it as a reason to get more frustrated because I don't like Dan or Bruce or Jay or whoever else is in charge. 

I'm a combo of Cautiously Optimistic and Laughing Fan...

I do think the team on the field isn't as bad as they are off of it. So I do watch and enjoy the game, while laughing at those idiots in the FO.

Don't expect me to spend much, if any, money on the franchise. I don't even watch Redskins Nation anymore. Won't get any ratings from me...

Regardless of how ****ty this team is and has been over the years, it's still MY team. I'm not going to pull a Patriots bandwagon and follow a team that "wins" (https://www.amazon.com/New-England-Bandwagon-Nation-football/dp/1595712933). When all the years of suffering finally end, it'll feel that much sweeter. Now I'm as cynical as anyone, but in the end, it's just sports and I've learned long ago to let my frustration go once the game ends. 

Bruce Allen can still go suck an egg, but one day we'll be "promising" just like the Browns are now. I know it's hilarious to drop that line because, Browns, but only one team gets to win it all every year anyway.

4 hours ago, rick7423 said:

I choose to not be a fan at the moment. Cancelled season tickets, will not watch games. These last few seasons has made me not want to be affiliated at all.

I have been a fan for well over 35 years, but now, I am pretty much done.

Good luck with that program but be on guard because interest in the Skins May return like persistent jock itch

I’ve been a fan for over 25 years and I’m at the end. When Snyder bought the redskins we were doomed. He has been consistent at being a dumpster fire. I live in Phili and I used to wear my redskin jersey proud. Not so much anymore in fact I’m almost embarrassed to wear it anymore. We been awful for 2 decades!!???? Starts at the top 

1. Snyder is awful team owner

2. Bruce Allen awful 

3. Jay gruden great oc not a head coach

4. Need #1 receiver  Doctson a 2 at best

5. Reed bust 

6. players are soft  they play for their brand and ego not for the fans who pay a crap load of money to see them and wear there jerseys. Clowns. Pls for god sakes move up and get the kid from duke or Haskins so we can actually have a qb. Can’t beleive how bad we r. 

Most definitely...Apathetic Fan

The healthy obsession I had with the Redskins for years has absolutely diminished to levels I never would have expected.  I come to Extremeskins now to browse...much like a dude who snoops out a high school girlfriend on Facebook.

“Let’s see how life turned out for  her...”

A pending root canal would excite me more than I am for the 2019 season at this point.  

I'm a ride or die fan, I just don't take it too seriously anymore, I still buy some gear but its sneakers and t-shirts and I buy them because I like the colors and I need sneakers and t-shirts.  I stopped going to games years ago but that's not entirely due to the team's poor performance, the bigger my tv gets the less likely I am to go to an NFL game (currently 75 inches), its a different story with basketball or hockey, those are just better spectator sports.

I don't feel compelled to root for another team as a way to prove a point or protest, my roots in Redskins football are too deep and there's just no way I could ever jump ship and watch another team without feeling like a sellout.

I had difficulties with finding something among the different categories that captured how I felt about this team.  Basically, I see some good elements and developments, but I'm resigned to the fact that the Skins have bad management, who've led the team into quite a predicament.  I have dialed down my hopes and aspirations... but not yet to the level of total apathy.

I generally like to focus on the positive, and so I hope for good things.... like maybe the team doesn't get so many injuries next season and plays better.  I think the QB situation is bad, but the Skins have found passable stop-gap solutions before -- maybe next season unearths a low-tier free agent signing who has a surprisingly great year for the Skins.  Maybe the team responds better to a new signal caller.  Maybe Guide and the O-line click and the offense is passable and keeps us competitive.

To be clear, I'm not oblivious to all the Skins woes, and dysfunction.  But basically, there are always some slim strands of hope to cling to -- and I find it more pleasant to think that way.   So I'll be holding the best for the team next season, but not being that emotionally invested, should they crash and burn by mid-season.

A  healthy mix of homer and cautiously optimistic.  

I've been a fan since the days of getting autographs as a kid at training camp in Carlisle, PA since the early 80's.  Then, working at their training camp when I was in high school, and getting to interact with some of the players at that time, I was hooked.  

That 1991 season, while oh so long ago, was quite special.  And I believe in my heart that someday, we'll do that again.

I don't complain much, because where is the fun in that?  Where is the fun in thinking that we can't come back and win this game?  And I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes -- none of us do, we can only speculate or read other's speculations -- so I don't worry about it.

I'm almost 50.  I just need one more Lombardi Trophy in DC (and one more college football national championship in Happy Valley), and I will be a happy, happy man that can ride off into the sunset...

Perpetually cautious optimism.  I want to give up at times, and did jump off the season ticket bandwagon very early in the game.  But then, something pulls me back in: We've been helping Dad downsize, going through lots of junk these past few weeks.  Lots of ticket stubs kept, and then this gem yesterday:

SyIJ8Brl.jpg

Faded signature is <pig snout>, Mikey T, Boss Hoggette

Good times back then, hope for more soon.

Archived