Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Enough is enough. A fond farewell.

sparkosaurus

5 hours ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Cool story bro. Don’t need you.

Weve all endured the same, actually no we haven’t. 

You at least saw the glory years. If this team ever actually takes its head out of its own ass and becomes a winner again I pray you stay far far away. These posts are so dumb. Good luck with your new team and good riddance.

Just because you are glutton for punishment doesn't mean others have to be. I support anyone who realizes this dumpster fire will not change and is not worth wasting time on if you have better things to do.

Personally I would never change allegiance, but you can believe I will spend my Sundays doing more productive things than watching Year 26 of this disaster.

Also he said he's been a fan for 40 years, do you think maybe he's at an age where there are more important things and he wants to stay less stressed etc?

I'll never switch teams and I sure as hell wont ever switch to the home team.

If I had to root for the Patriots I'd just slit my wrists.

I have however considered doing sort of a boycott on the skins until their 6 games over 500.

That seems to be the bar height that they could only clear if they made the changes neccessary to actually have a longterm effect on their future.

Until then it'll just be the same old same old rollercoaster ride of **** to mediocrity back to ****.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's a long story how I became a Redskins fan with me growing up initially in NJ not too far away from the Meadow lands.  I also grew up a Yankees fan and it may sound crazy now but they were a lousy team in the 80s through early 90s with a lousy owner.  Then they started getting good and I enjoyed the transformation going through all those hard years.

I love this narrative about how the Yanks were terrible in the 80s.  In 1981, they lost the Series, and while its true they didn't have a playoff appearance until '95 (would have appeared in '94 if not for the strike), from 1982 to 1993, they finished about .500 7 times, including a .602 finish in '85.   Back then only two teams per league made the playoffs (vs 5 now), so it was much harder. 

And that "lousy owner" had already won two series in the 70s.  

While I agree that there is some parallels with the way Steinbrenner ran the Yanks to the way Snyder runs the Skins, it is no way comparable based on track record.  Steinbrenner won. 

I can't stop rooting for the Skins because the next closest team to me (actually closer geographically) is the Ravens (whom I despise along with their fan base).  And I just couldn't stop watching football altogether.  But going into this season was the most apathetic I have ever felt.  The only glimmer of hope was Guice but that was gone in the preseason.  Peterson turned out to be a nice surprise, but the Alex Smith trade and the leaks about how Bruce Allen orchestrated it without input from Gruden or Williams, coupled with the continued incompetence of this FO (including not firing Allen) has me feeling the lowest of lows.  Even more so than in 2011 with Grossman/Beck.  At least that season had some serious contenders for quarterbacks in the upcoming draft.  Oh, and when we got a franchise one, we let him go for nothing.  

I have too admit my passion is gone!  But like others I can not rout or cheer for another team.  So football will just be an after thought for me.  

It's a dam shame what Bruce Allen has done to this team.  And even a bigger shame that Dan Snyder has continued to allow him to run the team into the ground!  

Good luck to the OP.  If you have been a fan that long, I have a feeling that just pulling for the Bears and claiming them, buying gear, etc. won't be as easy as you think.  The NFL is my favorite sport, I have pulled for the Redskins my entire life, around age 6 (born in 1975) and continue to do so.  I will never not be a Redskins fan and pull for or claim another NFL team.  My home team is the Panthers (I live in Charlotte, NC), but they will always be just the home team to me and not my team.

But, I can say from personal experience, one time I tried to start pulling for the NBA home team (Hornets/Bobcats), even though I was a die hard Bulls fan (started pulling for them when MJ was drafted, Hornets didn't exist back then).  Around 2000/01 I really wasn't feeling the NBA any more.  I kept pulling for the Bulls, keeping up with them, etc. but was watching a handful of games and basically just the playoffs and finals.   

Long story short, my uncle had always tried to get me to switch to the Hornets before they left and to the Bobcats when we got the expansion team.  I had told my wife if I got back into watching NBA ball, I'd pull for the home team or try to.  Years past and after my uncle lost his battle with cancer in 2010, I claimed the Hornets not long after.  Every time I claimed them and called them "my Hornets" it never felt right, always felt forced.  Because the reality was I was still pulling for the Bulls, even when they played the Hornets.  After a few years or so, experiment over.  I busted out my Bulls gear and haven't looked back.

I thought it would be easy, simply because I had not really followed NBA ball from 2001-2009, outside of the playoffs/finals, outside of keeping up with the Bulls when I could.  Along with MJ becoming the owner of the Hornets and I think deep down trying to satisfy my late uncle's wish.  It wasn't easy at all.  I felt like a fake Hornets fan.  Felt no allegiance with fellow fans, etc.  They had always been just the home team before, never my team and that was something I wasn't able to change within me.

Maybe you will have different results, maybe it will work out for you.  But I just don't think it will be as easy as you think it will be with 40+ years of great memories, pain, blood, sweat and tears poured into the Redskins.

22 hours ago, Burgold said:

I think if I should ever bail on this team I don't think I would grandly proclaim it. I don't think it would deserve a fanfare or press gathering. I don't really begrudge anyone giving up on this team. They give us plenty of reason too.  Besides, there are plenty of other ways to enjoy life. I just don't see the point of these threads especially from posters whose names I don't even recognize ;)

Not sure I would leave the team already declaring I have a new team either. It's sort of like parading around with your mistress before the ink is dry on the divorce papers.

Perhaps we should ask RGIII how he would do it? 

I'm not going to bash anyone for leaving for rooting for another team. Life is short and the Redskins are trash and there appears to be no end in sight. I'm a third generation fan. I went to games at RFK with my grandfather and my father. As a young boy, I always thought I would pass on the fandom to my children making them 4th generation fans. Well both my kids root for other teams and frankly it does not bother me. They deserve better, they deserve a better product on the field, a better front office, better players, better owner, better stadium, etc

I will continue to be a fan to my grave, but the legacy my grandfather started in 1933 will die with me. 

that's my FU to Snyder and Bruce (not that they care)

23 hours ago, sparkosaurus said:

I thought I was done last season. Hot off the heels of having to defend the ... [multiple multitudes of deplorable behavior]

Don't forget the twerk boat. Got to remember that one. And the mistreatment of the cheerleaders in foreign countries. No big deal. 

#Deplorables

7 hours ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Cool story bro. Don’t need you.

Weve all endured the same, actually no we haven’t. 

You at least saw the glory years. If this team ever actually takes its head out of its own ass and becomes a winner again I pray you stay far far away. These posts are so dumb. Good luck with your new team and good riddance.

Spoiler: 

they won’t 

this same thread will be made every season until they are officially on the level of the Jags in terms of fans where they belong 

I will always be a Redskins fan.  One my memories from high school involves winning the SB and the great celebrations that came with it.  My brother got me into the Skins when I was 8 years old.  I am not changing now.

In fact I believe we will win the Super Bowl again.  Despite Snyder and his clown hires.  At this point in time in my fandom history I do happen to despises the FO.  This contempt has grown over the years and has now reached a critical mass, as I have watched, the midget, run a once proud franchise into the ground.  We may even be the "bag over the head" fans now.  Not Cleveland.  And yet, I still believe we will win a SB  because of our history, which involves winning.  

The idea of rooting for another NFL team and buying their gear?  Never going to happen in this household.  Now don't get me wrong,  I am an NFL football fan and will watch the playoffs, but I truthfully won't care who wins and who does not win the SB.  I will just hope for good games.  Over the years, I have developed an interest in college football rooting for Missouri because of my buddy.   

I enjoy this board while I find myself agreeing and disagreeing with the same posters, almost simultaneously.  HTTR!

I have moaned previously how the Redskins under Allen and Snyder have been slowly killing me "fandom" for the team.  While I would never withdraw my fan card, and root for another team (after 49 years - I just can't do that) - I has greatly diminished my love for the game. 

Now, with the latest escapades - I have gotten to a point where I am totally pissed off and will support whatever measures that we as a fan base can take to make Snyder's and Allen's existences painful UNTIL actions are taken. 

•  - Not spending any money on the Skins is easy - I can control. 
  •  - Posting my displeasure on the Redskins social media accounts - I can control.
  •  - Reaching out to the other minority owners to state my displeasure - I can control.
  •  - Reaching out to the Redskins front office via letter, email and phone - I can control.
  •  - Reaching out to all the Redskins' Corporate Sponsors to share my displeasure - I can control.
  •  - Reaching out to the NFL front office as well other NFL owners - I can control. 
  •  
  • NOTE:  I am also pretty sure that Lafemina's termination got the attention of the Commish and I am confident that those two still talk.  
  •  
  • Finally, I would love to be able to help finance an effort to get Danny's attention by paying for an airplane to fly over FedEX during our home games pulling a banner that simply said "#FireBruceAllenNOW.  Does anybody have the connections or wherewithal to get this done?   It's worked well up at the Meadowlands with both the Jets and Giants.....

#HTTR!

"Not a dollar more until we stop being a clown show and become a professional sports franchise!"

While I've already stated I understand the frustration and hopelessness of the state of the organization, I do also think we could be handing out some Oscars here. Whoever earlier in the thread called these "suicide notes" was spot on. This is all a little melodramatic. While the "extreme" title was given to this site for a reason and I admit to certainly fitting that description as well... it IS ultimately a football team we are talking about here. The Broadway-esque proclamations are a bit much. 

45 minutes ago, jjpomeroy said:

NOTE:  I am also pretty sure that Lafemina's termination got the attention of the Commish and I am confident that those two still talk.

Loverro has an article regarding this. He thinks that there's a possibility that LaFemina was send to Washington with his goons to sort the mess around here because NFL might not like to watch what used to be one of the most profitable franchise in history keeping on losing ground years in, years out.

If that is true to any degree, then, firing them won't help Dan and Bruce's case through the NFL.

42 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Loverro has an article regarding this. He thinks that there's a possibility that LaFemina was send to Washington with his goons to sort the mess around here because NFL might not like to watch what used to be one of the most profitable franchise in history keeping on losing ground years in, years out.

If that is true to any degree, then, firing them won't help Dan and Bruce's case through the NFL.

Theres been rumors like that for a while. When Allen came on board there were rumors that was the result of the commish having a talk with Snyder. 

I am am willing to believe them because I have a personal relationship with where that information came from and I do not believe that person is a liar, and I do believe that person is in the position to know. 

But theyre just rumors. 

The bottom line is DC is a major market and TV ratings are plummeting for the team and that’s not something the other owners like. They don’t want us to be better than them, they just want us to be competitive enough to drum up fan support and drive ratings and ticket/mercy sales. I imagine they want that for every team in any major market. 

In a year where nfl ratings are up in important area (prime time especially), they’re down significantly here. 

Im confident it’s being noticed. 

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

25 minutes ago, tshile said:

Theres been rumors like that for a while. When Allen came on board there were rumors that was the result of the commish having a talk with Snyder. 

I am am willing to believe them because I have a personal relationship with where that information came from and I do not believe that person is a liar, and I do believe that person is in the position to know. 

But theyre just rumors. 

The bottom line is DC is a major market and TV ratings are plummeting for the team and that’s not something the other owners like. They don’t want us to be better than them, they just want us to be competitive enough to drum up fan support and drive ratings and ticket/mercy sales. I imagine they want that for every team in any major market. 

In a year where nfl ratings are up in important area (prime time especially), they’re down significantly here. 

Im confident it’s being noticed. 

I wondered about this a few days ago. However, I figured they probably wouldn't want to set a bad precedent. So, maybe there's room for a little hope after all. In the meantime, I've kind of become more of a fan of the league than any one team. Over the past few years, I'd typically still watch the Skins and pull for them, but in all honesty, I've stopped caring much about them over the past few seasons. So, going back to a prior comparison, I guess I haven't left for another woman as much as I've decided to become a league THOT since I watch pretty much any game that's interesting or a key matchup.😀

5 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Just because you are glutton for punishment doesn't mean others have to be. I support anyone who realizes this dumpster fire will not change and is not worth wasting time on if you have better things to do.

Personally I would never change allegiance, but you can believe I will spend my Sundays doing more productive things than watching Year 26 of this disaster.

Also he said he's been a fan for 40 years, do you think maybe he's at an age where there are more important things and he wants to stay less stressed etc?

Completely agree. Especially living in a great football city like Chicago. Why put up with the Redskins? Life is to short. I have stopped going to games and buying merch. I still watch games but I also am looking at other teams. I like Kirk and hope the Vikings do well. I have followed the team, read posts on their forum, and watched games. Why should I care about the Redskins when they no longer care about me?

For many fans there is no fond farewell decision.  Only a meh.  I used to watch every game but after years of futility I began to fast forward over the bad.  A few more years pass and now I don't mind if I don't see a game - highlights will do.  Meh.  Something has to change.     

I completely understand and we all deal with it differently. Personally, I choose to emotionally withdraw from the Redskins. I watch and root for them but only casually. I usually pick another team to support to so I have something to be excited about. This season, it's the Rams because I want to see their coach succeed since we were not bright enough to keep him. I also invest more emotionally into my other local teams like the caps who actually are competent from the top down. Good luck and i hope this team is able to turn it around one day and draw you back!

Yo Sparkosauras

If you must turn in your Redskins card, then go a head. There are Redskin fans, who have been Fans for life . I attended  my first Redskins game in 1969 I was 11 years old and watched Vince Lombardi coach the Skins to a 28 to 28 tie against Philadelphia.I was hooked on the Skins from there on.

I understand and appreciate you 20 years of frustration and dismay at the current dysfunction and  mediocre display of the Redskins franchise. This decision is a very tough and gut wrenching to say the least. But I think in today's society not many people are True and Hard core about much of anything.

Hell. there were decades of losing football with the Skins , but True fans stuck with the Redskins.

Per your post you are now a Bears fan , because they are winning. I guess that works for you . Anyway there's the exit door.

Hail:247:

When I think of leaving I you tube the Redskins band marching down the field playing "Hail to the Redskins " and I get sucked back in

Hey I'm sure lots of people bolted on the Capitals but look what we were finally rewarded with last season 

So you never know what is going to happen 

It's what makes people fans guessing 

50 minutes ago, c slag said:

When I think of leaving I you tube the Redskins band marching down the field playing "Hail to the Redskins " and I get sucked back in

Hey I'm sure lots of people bolted on the Capitals but look what we were finally rewarded with last season 

So you never know what is going to happen 

It's what makes people fans guessing 

The difference between these franchises is ownership: the Capitals have a front office that lets the people they hire do their jobs without interference; the same cannot be said of the B&G.

When Dan Snyder bought the team almost 20 years ago, despite there being a 90K stadium full of Redskins fans week after week +100s of thousands on a waiting list, he still proudly proclaimed himself as being the Redskins biggest fan.

Congratulations Mr. Snyder!!! In a few more years there is a chance that you'll be able to call yourself the ONLY Redskins fan!!!

20 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I know people don't like the term "true fan" but I don't think one can just switch teams.  That said, I can definitely see paying less and less attention to your team and spending money on it.  I already stopped watching as many/as much of the games.  They are still my team.  But that doesn't make them worth all my time.

As for a "side team" or whatever you want to call it, I have the Ravens as mine.  I followed them since they came to town.  I watch them if the Redskins aren't on (and even if the Skins are on lately) and root for them to win as long as it doesn't affect the Skins.  I follow them because they are my "other" home town team.  They aren't my primary team because they weren't around when I grew up.  Similar to baseball where I am an Orioles fan but follow the Nats.  Nats weren't a team growing up.  I don't get people just switching teams though.  Many of my in-laws live in Baltimore and are huge Ravens fan.  But they were fans of other teams before the Ravens came to town.  Then they just switched.  I don't get it.

I also believe that for the most part, you should stick with the team you grew up on and it should be your hometown team.  But I don't really judge others for not following that mindset.  That is just me.

This is how I have always felt as well which made my decision so difficult.  I hate my nephew for wearing Miami Heat gear, until LeBron left and then he had another hat.  To me you pick a team when you are 9 and that's your team for life.  But Daniel Snyder has forced me to change my beliefs.  I didn't do this after a few bad seasons, like everyone I stuck with them throughout the bad times. But I did it out of protest for this disgusting man and how he treats the fans, as well as everyone else.  

Archived