Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Enough is enough. A fond farewell.

sparkosaurus

15 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

This is the worst part.  It really isn't enjoyable anymore.  It feels like a job, especially living in the Philly area.  My kids are 1 and 3, and I'm glad they won't remember this part.  The bad thing is that this part has been going on since I was 7 in 1992.  I don't know how to explain to them why I'm still in it when they completely lost their moral compass (sorry, nothing was worse by any team than signing Foster in the context they did) as there's no Joe Gibbs, their legacy as there's been way more fodder than legends in that uniform, or the pride in wearing something Redskins every Monday after a game, win or lose.

Now it's just the thing that gets Daddy pissed off on Sundays.  It's not fun at all.

OP, in years passed I would've stuck my nose up at you and said "Bye Felicia."  Now?  I get it, man.  I get it.  And I hate that I do.

That last sentence has resonance.

My wife asked me about starting up our old tradition of watching Redskins games as a family recently. I passed. I’m not going to subject my family to the tripe. She used to enjoy watching my passion and antics during games. Now, I just sit there emotionally distant... waiting for the first opportunity to turn the game off.

21 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

You know, for years without you saying that I felt that's the point you had gotten to, jus checking to see how things are going given how damn good an idea this place was and how much work you put into it.  It really does suck that its centered around something that reminds one of someone that if they weren't family with theyd have nothing to do with.

I have a tattoo as well, but its for Sean.

I definitely still have loyalty to this community.... moreso than the Redskins. But it’s changed too... but I definitely get something out of it still.

When I created ES... I was thinking of better days that would unite us. But the level of incompetence in the Redskins FO is insurmountable. 

What Gruden has done with this team is, quite frankly, remarkable. He’s severely limited as a coach.... but right now, he’s the best we’ve had in forever. And he needs to go. The problem is.... we’re never going to find a coach good enough to turn this team around.

Nope, Nope can't do it. More so I'll just cancel my Direct T.V NFL package I purchase every year since I live in Houston. I already canceled the Direct TV Mid Atlantic sports channel since the Wizards stink also. It's like the Owners of D.C sports teams are just sucking the $$$$ out of fans and the GM's are laughing at how the area constantly thinks something will change. The Caps owner IMO got lucky with the Capitols wasn't anything he did that was really instrumental to help them win the Cup. Ovechkin just wanted it more and with leaders like that on you're team players will follow.

I'll also be waiting for the draft just to see if we snag a QB. But of course no thoughts of winning a SB I just want to see progress without a bunch of injuries. It's evident Gruden will be back due to the DJ situation. Let's draft a young QB and see what Gruden can do with him and how Guice does next year. will they keep AP? Let's get another WR in here as well that can stretch the field. Foster's already on the team rather you like it or not so we might as well see how he does next year if he plays. So maybe draft a QB and a descent Linebacker in the 2nd. 

Who knows anything could happen regardless of the dysfunction. But my main concern will be the attitude of the players next year and how will they respond especially if Gruden and Manusky are staying. Or will Gruden move on from Manusky if Gruden is kept.

It's the little things people the little things I look forward to that keeps me going haha. But trust me I won't waste to much useless energy in watching them thoroughly every Sunday tuned in like I used to until I see some change. And some of you that's proclaiming to be done will also be peaking in from time to time just to see how things are going. 

But one thing I do know Snyder will see a decline in attendance again at Fedex stadium come next season and he can blame no one but himself.

HAIL...

39 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

I understand.

I had a hard time giving up on the Montreal Expos. Especially after the strike year when we were on top of the world. But watching the team essentially become a farm team for MLB.... where they would trade any established player for a handful of prospects. Some of them would bust... and as soon as any of them showed any potential and produced, they were traded. And the cycle continued. And as a result, the team wasn’t competitive EVER. And then with the terrible stadium (Olympic Stadium), dwindling attendance... and rumours of moving... I had enough. So I switched allegiances to the Yankees... and never regretted it. At the time, they were the worst team in the majors... drafting #1 overall (Brien Taylor, SP). I did enjoy their dominant run... especially the pennants. But I know my enthusiasm was tempered by the allegiance switch.

I even tried to leave the Buffalo Sabres. Right after they traded Tom Barrasso (my favourite player) to the Penguins. I thought long and hard about switching allegiances to the Pens.... but I couldn’t. I followed the Pens in the periphery... and I wish I could have experienced and enjoyed their 2 Stanley Cup wins.... but alas, I stuck with the Sabres. I did develop a secondary liking to the Red Wings.... again when they were junk. Then Yzerman finally turned into a captain.... and they started dominating and winning a couple of Cups. I did enjoy it some... but admittedly, I know it also measured/tempered.

When I was a young kid, I rooted for the Lakers at first. Because that’s what everyone did. But I don’t like being a follower.... so I conferred with friends and they helped me pick the Knicks. It was the year after Mark Jackson won ROY. That’s been a torturous decision.

As far the Redskins, I could totally give up my fandom. I haven’t consistently watched games in about 8 years. And I haven’t watched a full game in longer than that. This team is so consistent.... I’m positive that the NFL is scripted. This team, the on-field stuff.... as well as the off-field stuff..... takes any and all enjoyment out of watching.

In fact, I’m probably not even a Redskins fan any more. I just follow this community more out of habit than anything. This franchise stands for literally nothing that I value any more. In fact, it disgusts me. I have 0.01 emotional investment in this team....  probably for the last 5 years. 

I think if it wasn’t for my Redskins tattoo... I probably would’ve have logged off years ago. LOL

This one should make everyone sad.  DH is this board's creator right?  Look what Dan did to even him.

I don't blame anyone for ending their fandom.   I could never end my fandom but at some point each year, I reach a point where I just don't really care much.  I've resigned myself to the fact, the Skins will never accomplish much under Snyder.    A new coach every 4-5 years on average. Maybe a playoff birth or two during that time.  The same end of tenure, a complete collapse.  If the Skins ever won a Superbowl under Dan, it would just be pure luck. A team getting hot at the right time and riding that all the way.

Once it's over for us in the season, I'll just pay attention to some other team on a playoff run.  This year, I'll watch the Chargers.  I would love to see Phillip Rivers get a ring before he's done.   The Browns under Baker Mayfield will be interesting to watch, once the Skins are done.

10 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

I definitely still have loyalty to this community.... moreso than the Redskins. But it’s changed too... but I definitely get something out of it still.

When I created ES... I was thinking of better days that would unite us. But the level of incompetence in the Redskins FO is insurmountable. 

What Gruden has done with this team is, quite frankly, remarkable. He’s severely limited as a coach.... but right now, he’s the best we’ve had in forever. And he needs to go. The problem is.... we’re never going to find a coach good enough to turn this team around.

We'll never find a coach that will be able to turn this team around under current ownership.

Stop watching football... I get that.

Rooting for another team... Well, bye

Now's the time to badmouth the team, invest little emotionally and wait for the rebirth. I for one will never 'leave'. Lose interest, maybe. Root for another team, NEVER.

1 minute ago, HouseBowlrz said:

We'll never find a coach that will be able to turn this team around under current ownership.

Dude, Snyder is never going to sell this team. It’s a nice thought.... but it doesn’t happen like this in the NFL. With the exception of Richardson in Carolina... but that was an extenuating circumstance (sexual misconduct).

1 minute ago, Bonez3 said:

Stop watching football... I get that.

Rooting for another team... Well, bye

Now's the time to badmouth the team, invest little emotionally and wait for the rebirth. I for one will never 'leave'. Lose interest, maybe. Root for another team, NEVER.

He said rebirth.

tumblr_leimsh3O7U1qe0eclo1_r1_500.gif

Snyder is gonna outlive all of us.  Every. Single.  One.  Dude’s rich, we aren’t.

3 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Good post and I see your points. 

The "I've decided to become a fan of X team" logic is weird to me. I have never made a decision to be a fan of a team...if I could decide, I'd have bailed on the Skins and O's many times over! This isn't me questioning your fanhood for the Redskins, rather the process you're following to root on a new team. For me, it would need to happen organically and I'd need to start caring about a team until, over time, they were the team I cared about. 

Oh well, glad you had some good memories in the 80s!  

I've certainly become apathetic.  But I don't understand the "I'm rooting for X team" either...

That's like a dude dating someone just to spite their X, and then they get jealous when their X is dating a BSD soon enough.

Though honestly, I don't see that happening for us anytime soon, lol.

13 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

I dont know if that day will ever come where we turn it around either, but Tailgate is doing a pretty damn good job in the meantime, so thank you for both. 

Its changed, people I've accepted never going to see post again, though for every "which ice cream suckday do you prefer" toilet bowl spiral discussions I've seen here theres been another of self-moderated intellectual level I haven't seen anywhere else.  Some of which really kept on the path away from where I was heading, which wasn't a good place.

Its fitting Jay was last with Ciny, because that's what I see us turning into if we arent already there.  He'll be here forever because exactly what you jus said and instead of learning from our mistakes our front office will double down on them thinking they didnt make them hard enough.  

I'll tell you what scares me more then losing: that this franchise will do something sooooo indefensible that it wont be about the fact they arent winning.  I was seriously hoping it wouldnt be the cheerleader thing,  but I do believe I'd support trying force Snyder out before I let him force me out as a fan. 

I dont know how, but that's what I'm thinking right now, how the fans can force change because we obviously care more about this franchise and what it means to us and our communities then the people running it / ruining it.

38 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

That last sentence has resonance.

My wife asked me about starting up our old tradition of watching Redskins games as a family recently. I passed. I’m not going to subject my family to the tripe. She used to enjoy watching my passion and antics during games. Now, I just sit there emotionally distant... waiting for the first opportunity to turn the game off.

I'm like 99.9% certain Snyder doesnt read this site, but if there is one post I wish someone would print out and stick to his computer screen in the office tomorrow, itd be this one.  From the guy who started the f'n site.

13 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Can I gently suggest you to root for all those other 31 teams then?

Starts with:

Cowboys, Eagles and Giants, thank you sir!

Theres a word for that, it's called Fantasy Football : )

**** all of them. I’m not going anywhere. Whether they hear me or not, whether they care or not, I’m here. I’ll always root for a Redskins victory and not spend a dime supporting this incompetent ownership. Meanwhile I’m going to spend my time hammering these useless cowards every chance I get. They’re not taking my team away from me. They’re not chasing me away. I’ll preach upon high how terrible an owner Snyder is; I’ll preach upon high how terrible Bruce Allen is, but I’m not going away. I will remain a dissenting voice until they fix this thing. They won’t break me. They took my joy, but I’ll spend every moment I get kicking them in the shins until things change.

53 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

This is the worst part.  It really isn't enjoyable anymore.  It feels like a job, especially living in the Philly area.  My kids are 1 and 3, and I'm glad they won't remember this part.  The bad thing is that this part has been going on since I was 7 in 1992. 

Now it's just the thing that gets Daddy pissed off on Sundays.  It's not fun at all.

This is a good sign that it would be better to distance yourself.  It is bad enough if the frustration outweighs the enjoyment.  But if it also takes away from the happiness of the family... It isn't worth it.  

I have a personal goal of never having my kids be able to tell if my team lost based on my mood.  But, I will let it slip if I am excited about a win.  I used to be grumpy all day after a loss, I'm embarrassed that my wife had to put up with that.  I can't do that to the kids.

I cant bail on this team. I just cant. I lived through the highest of the highs. I have been to Georgetown after the Skins won the Super Bowl. Seen things that I can never forget in my life. I cant bail on them. Something almost makes me wish Snyder would move the team. At that point it would be a clean break for me.

Not sure the 321 posts you made as a ExtremeSkins participant justified the front page ad you created.  However, I'm all for Free-Speech!

Some fine and justified points of frustration in being a fed up fan.  I usually just stop taking time out of my life for Skins Stuff when the Skins get me that frustrated. 

DJ Swearinger just did the same stupid exit, so maybe Arizona is a good landing spot for you as well. 

7 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Not sure the 321 posts you made as a ExtremeSkins participant justified the front page ad you created.  However, I'm all for Free-Speech!

Some fine and justified points of frustration in being a fed up fan.  I usually just stop taking time out of my life for Skins Stuff when the Skins get me that frustrated. 

DJ Swearinger just did the same stupid exit, so maybe Arizona is a good landing spot for you as well. 

Hmm... A post count post?  Haven't seen that in a while, think you missed the point of Extremeskins, even if we both disagree with his decision to leave.  I'm glad he said it and we can talk about it, regardless of post count.

5 hours ago, sparkosaurus said:

Much love to you all. Have a fantastic 2019 and Hail to the Redskins. See you all at Soldier Field sometime!

sparkosaurus

I applaud you. I have a few Bears friends myself. I watched a couple of their games this year. They're fun to watch. In both games I saw one of their linemen score a TD. Sowells dance had me laughing. It really put a smile on my face. And it was at that point when I realized that I don't do much laughing or smiling when I watch the Redskins. Every game is tense and most times leaves me stressed to no end. Again, I applaud you, but I may be right behind you. Fact is, Walter Payton was the player that attracted me to football in the first play. I'm from Cincinnati and somewhere in my heart, there's a place for the Bengals. When I'm in my home town, I'll still go to the local pub to watch them. But after that, most I'll do is check their score. The Skins are much like the Bengals at this point. Very depressing to watch. I got to DC and started watching the Skins. Somewhere along the line, I started to like them. That time has passed. But they'll have a place just like the Bengals. Chicago plays good football and they have fun doing it. So why not enjoy your Sunday football again with whatever team you choose? 

I don't blame anyone for bailing on this team at this point, but I can't imagine ever having the genuine passion and connection that being born and bred into the Skins family gave me over the years. I guess that's pretty well eroded and on life support though. I grew up having an alternate/less beloved AFC team, because mom was a Pats fan. They were great as lovable losers with the Pat Patriot unis, and as underdogs, when they actually managed to compete. I loved that first SB win over the Rams, but the feeling was nothing even close to a regular old Redskins (at least used to be regular-ish) playoff win, or even a big regular season win. I can't even really passively root for New England anymore. I'm just sick of them being so consistently good. I do pull for other AFC teams occasionally, mostly the Chargers, or whoever the obvious underdog may be any particular year. I've seen people switch NFL teams before, and it always kind of mystifies me when they managed to do it convincingly. I can see giving it a try though. Good luck to you (and your?) Bears. That's got to sound kinda weird.

I wish it was as easy as selecting a new team and moving on.  Actually if it wasn’t for Gibbs 2.0 I may have had a chance for a clean break.  The period from when Dan bought the team to when he hired Gibbs, we’re my early 20’s where I cared more about drinking and women than I did pretty much anything else.  It was the hiring of Joe Gibbs that rejuvenated my passion for the Redskins and converted me to extreme.  I shed a tear watching his press conference, seriously.  

I’ve experienced practically every level of fandom since that time.  I used to defend this organization relentlessly.  I thought Dan was a good owner because he’d go get us all the big names we coveted.  I thought the media had it out for him and all that jazz.  The older I got, the more I followed the team and the NFL in general, and started paying more attention.  Add in the life experience of having a career and seeing how important having sound organizational structure and competence was to success, and things started becoming much more clear as to why this team is a perennial loser.

I still follow the team relentlessly and watch every game.  It seems with each and every year the enthusiasm dies a little bit more.  I try to separate my hatred of the guys in the box from the men on the field.  But its becoming harder and harder to do.  My son is a Redskins fan because of me, but lucky for him he really has nowhere near the level of passion for football that I do, so he really doesn’t care.  I believe the Redskins losing ways only help to contribute to his lack of interest.

If only it was as easy to just pick a new team and garner the same level of passion for them, I’d do it.  It’s just not possible.  So at this point, like someone said earlier, my attachment to this team is more like a reality show that I just can’t turn off.  I no longer spend the absurd amount of money I once did on gear and game tickets.  Not because I have some belief that I’m denting Dan’s pockets, I’m just not proud to wear it nor am I excited to go to games.  There are players and coaches here I like but my disdain for those pulling the strings coupled with my confident belief that they will never win anything of merit has sucked the life out of my fandom.  I desperately want to love this team again but can no longer convince myself to believe in much of anything they do.

Archived