Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The official clean house thread.. lay out your plan for the future here

crabbypatty

Reading through these post just pisses my of more because I know nothing is actually going to change.  Everybody gets a do-over because of all the injuries and we suck next year just like this year.  We can't even stink right because we still end-up 7-9 or 8-8 and end up with the 15th pick.

None of your foolishness....none of your little schemes, your frightened desperate little machinations, will amount to anything until we find a way to deal with one of the smoothest and most destructive operatives we've ever faced.  Only a handful of people here know who he is, but he is the key. I can't say his name in this forum, but those who know, know.

10 hours ago, paloosa said:

Promote Doug Williams to GM and have him evaluate the FO personnel. Keep the good and get rid of the bad. Have Williams evaluate and conduct a search for a HC that has the respect of the players around the league. after the season Interview candidates from winning organizations such as New England and Pittsburg for example. Evaluate the scouting department and strength and conditioning department. Keep the good and get rid of the bad. 

No to both of these. First off Doug is not a good talent evaluator. He shouldn’t be GM. Second, New England and Pittsburgh produce bad HCs. We need to look at an up and coming candidate from anywhere. Dave Toub is my first choice.

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

None of your foolishness....none of your little schemes, your frightened desperate little machinations, will amount to anything until we find a way to deal with one of the smoothest and most destructive operatives we've ever faced.  Only a handful of people here know who he is, but he is the key. I can't say his name in this forum, but those who know, know.

We need Andyman.

9 hours ago, skinny21 said:

@skins island connection Just FYI, Harris and Floyd are both listed 6’3.  Looking at the offseason ‘plan’ - Cam Sims 6’5, Cobb (on PS last I checked) 6’3, and Robert Davis 6’3.

Speed might be the bigger issue... 

Touche', maybe I should have been a little clearer;

a WR over 6'2 who can run faster than a lineman.

Realizing this is for therapeutic reasons only - 

Obviously fire Bruce and Jay. 

Promote Brian Lafemina to President. Let him pick his GM and Head of Player Personnel. I like Schaffer and Smith but if I hire Lafemina to be President i let him do his job. Then let the GM pick his HC. Then the GM and HC pick the assistants. Ok, that's the FO. 

Players: 

Trade or release the following (focusing on main players, not the bottom half of the roster): Trent Williams, Ryan Kerrigan (possibly restructure), Jordan Reed, Josh Norman, Chris Thompson and Zach Brown.

Release the following (some have to be injury settlements, or once they are medically cleared): Rueben Foster, Alex Smith, Lauvau (injury settlement as soon as possible), Ty Nseke, Vernon Davis, Stacy McGee, Mason Foster, Samaje Perine, and Rob Kelly.

Free agency - The cuts above will leave a lot of dead CAP next year but will clear out in 2020 - outside of Alex Smith but nothing we can do about that. But it will also leave a lot of CAP space for free agency. Roughly about $57.6M ($44M from the cuts above and $13.6 already there). Could be over $60M if the team is able to roll over any from this year. Get someone better that Sanchez to challenge Colt McCoy assuming he comes back. maybe even bring in two guys. Sign the best pass rusher available and the best WR. Also, look for solid Oline that can start but are probably better as long term back-ups.  

Draft - Go heavy for Oline early. Try to get the best T and G in the draft - even if you have to trade some later picks - especially with all the comp picks. Double down on Dline in the middle rounds and getting a developmental QB in the late rounds and going BPA otherwise. We look for our QB in 2020. 

About 95% of this will never happen - and probably for good reason. But that's what I would do. 

14 hours ago, Despy said:

FWIW I've heard it strongly inferred by hosts on 980 and 106.7 that Snyder forced McNabb on Shanahan.

Look, Shanahan's greatest talent is developing one-cut running backs.

His second greatest talent is developing cronies in the local media in record time.

According to "sources," every good thing that happened with the Redskins was Shanahan's doing. Every bad thing was someone else's doing.

Somehow, this control freak who demanded total control kept getting rolled by Dan Snyder on key decisions and - shockingly - those decisions were always wrong.

Part of me thinks Fire everyone or not.. won't matter because of who owns the team.  Thus I would have to say its possible our future winning HC and GM aren't born yet or are in grade school.

There has been one constant for the past 20 years.  The cycle is just repeating itself.  Things become toxic after some point in time.  Every time.  The team is on the verge of quitting and reaching that high level of toxicity again.  A new staff will clean some of that out.  A fresh approach will feel good and maybe even lead to some slightly better than average seasons.  Then it will happen again.

Another part of me thinks if we could just get the right GM and right Coach/staff this organization can get back to where it was in the 80s and early 90s.  Although thats what Ive been thinking every 4-5 years or so for the past 20.  Whats the definition of insanity again?

12 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Part of me thinks Fire everyone or not.. won't matter because of who owns the team.  Thus I would have to say its possible our future winning HC and GM aren't born yet or are in grade school.

There has been one constant for the past 20 years.  The cycle is just repeating itself.  Things become toxic after some point in time.  Every time.  The team is on the verge of quitting and reaching that high level of toxicity again.  A new staff will clean some of that out.  A fresh approach will feel good and maybe even lead to some slightly better than average seasons.  Then it will happen again.

Another part of me thinks if we could just get the right GM and right Coach/staff this organization can get back to where it was in the 80s and early 90s.  Although thats what Ive been thinking every 4-5 years or so for the past 20.  Whats the definition of insanity again?

The bold is what we have to hope for. We have to hope that Dan trips into someone good. Someone who can get the job done. If he does trip into someone and they can get a few wining season under their belt, which will bring people back to the seats, he may get more hands off not wanting to ruin it. I doubt to be honest. I am pretty sure he will want to put his stamp on it so he will mess with things and it will turn to **** again. 

Still, it's the only real hope we have. 

I would be fine if they kept Jay as long as we get rid of Bruce, Alex, and Manusky.

I've always thought Jay was good at designing offenses and getting guys open but over the last couple of weeks I've turned my back on him but I go back and forth because he's never had a decent RB, QB, and WR 1 at the same time.  Even when we had Garcon and Jackson we had no running game and the reality is DJAX and Garcon are mediocre players who are stealing money from their current teams.

If we did keep Jay just keep him focused on offense and out of personnel decisions and any other daily activities that get him sidetracked.

We can blame it Jay and nitpick the playcalling but if we weren't so talent deficient and injury prone on offense Jay wouldn't need to be perfect, good players make good coaches.

7 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I would be fine if they kept Jay as long as we get rid of Bruce, Alex, and Manusky.

I've always thought Jay was good at designing offenses and getting guys open but over the last couple of weeks I've turned my back on him but I go back and forth because he's never had a decent RB, QB, and WR 1 at the same time.  Even when we had Garcon and Jackson we had no running game and the reality is DJAX and Garcon are mediocre players who are stealing money from their current teams.

If we did keep Jay just keep him focused on offense and out of personnel decisions and any other daily activities that get him sidetracked.

We can blame it Jay and nitpick the playcalling but if we weren't so talent deficient and injury prone on offense Jay wouldn't need to be perfect, good players make good coaches.

Actually i would have him more involved in personnel decisions. I am not in the room, but everything i read and hear tells me he gets very little say and has disagreed strongly with Bruce on several moves. I remember @Skinsinparadise saying one thing that stuck out to him with his conversation with Scot M was him being effusive in his praise of how well Jay evaluates talent. He has proven that to a certain extent by players actually improving while they are here. 

Having said all that, if you send Bruce packing then I think a new GM needs to pick their own HC. It seems every transition has had some part of it forced on them by dan. Just let someone start from scratch. 

What we need more than anything else is a clear vision from the top on down and everyone being on the same page. We haven't had that in basically forever in the Snyder era except maybe Gibbs II but even then we were stuck with Vinny during those years.

It always seems like the ownership wants one thing, the FO wants another thing, the coaches want something else completely, and the roster is just a clusterfk mess.

6 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Look, Shanahan's greatest talent is developing one-cut running backs.

His second greatest talent is developing cronies in the local media in record time.

According to "sources," every good thing that happened with the Redskins was Shanahan's doing. Every bad thing was someone else's doing.

Somehow, this control freak who demanded total control kept getting rolled by Dan Snyder on key decisions and - shockingly - those decisions were always wrong.

It's not that hard to imagine a world where Shanny got a ton of things wrong but still had Mcflabb forced upon him by a known scumbag owner.   I think you're giving Dan way too much of a pass here.

1 hour ago, Despy said:

It's not that hard to imagine a world where Shanny got a ton of things wrong but still had Mcflabb forced upon him by a known scumbag owner.   I think your giving Dan way too much of a pass here.

Because it's not hard to imagine something, doesn't mean it's true. I mean, I can imagine a well-run Redskins franchise.

Again, Shanahan was given full control. He made a big deal about that when he was hired. And the first big move he made was trading for McNabb, which he was quite happy to crow about when it happened. But later, when it went wrong, it comes out that it was "forced" on the guy who insisted that he be given a contract that specified that nothing could be forced on him.

You can believe that if you like. 

7 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Actually i would have him more involved in personnel decisions. I am not in the room, but everything i read and hear tells me he gets very little say and has disagreed strongly with Bruce on several moves. I remember @Skinsinparadise saying one thing that stuck out to him with his conversation with Scot M was him being effusive in his praise of how well Jay evaluates talent. He has proven that to a certain extent by players actually improving while they are here. 

Having said all that, if you send Bruce packing then I think a new GM needs to pick their own HC. It seems every transition has had some part of it forced on them by dan. Just let someone start from scratch. 

I don't mind a new GM coming in and finding a new head coach because I believe in a structure like that.

I think where I disagree with some of Jay critics its on these fronts -- and my points on this are:

A.  The next HC will be better just because -- name that coordinator...lets take Diflippo -- hot coordinator before the season, but criticized this season and now he's not as sexy a hire compared to before the season started.  I think people fall in love with a narrative for the new coach but soon enough you learn the next dude has his faults, too.  It's like  when you started dating someone -- initially its exciting and seems almost perfect but then you start seeing the weeds over the time.  And we all have our share of weeds.   😀

B.  Change when it involves a coaching staff typically is a step back for an organization initially.  Yes, there are exceptions to this.  But the odds are you got an adjustment phase -- new system, new type of players to fit the scheme, etc.

C.  If we are going QB in this draft and early which seems likely according to most beat guys right now -- I don't think you can do better than having Jay in house.  Scot indeed told me to my face that Jay is a really good evaluator.  Cooley has talked about it.  Heck ESPN ran an article about the last draft quoting anonymous personnel people about other teams drafts -- and for the Redskins, the personnel guy from another team commenting said more or less that Jay is the best evaluator in that building.  

I do agree Jay has flaws and even agree with some of the criticisms I typically read about him.  I also agree he's not special as a head coach.  But I think he's a good head coach.  And I'd say at least 50-50 the next coordinator or college coach they bring in here will be a downgrade versus an upgrade.   And my biggest issue with the criticism is directing the animosity his way gives management a way out -- and IMO its management -- the team president/owner that's the biggest problem here and by a mile. 

I think with Dan-Bruce in the building the odds that they get the QB position wrong in the draft without Jay - I'd put that at about 85% or so they screw it up.   Dan-Bruce have already screwed up the QB at an epic level many times.   Jay who my gut is indeed the best evaluator in that building might save them from another gaffe.  Jay who is an ex-QB and knows the position as good as anyone, I think will increase the odds that we get that position right in the draft.   And to me that's a big deal.  I don't think you can win without a QB.

As for pure gossip from talk radio in the last day or so combining narratives from Russell, Keim and Finlay:

Kevin O'Connell is considered a hot commodity in that building as an up and coming star

Jay is likely safe but if the last 4 games go royally bad that might change things

Bruce might be safe, might not be -- seems like there is some disagreement on this.  Keim thinks Bruce's unpopularity with fans is even worse from what he recalled than the animosity was towards Vinny

On 12/4/2018 at 4:17 PM, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

It feels like the entire organization from top to bottom is now a reflection of Bruce Allen's personality more than anything.  

You noticed it sooner then I did, but yes, I've been wanting Dan to show he still existed and clear about his desire for the direction of the franchise for a while now. 

I don't think he doesn't care, I do believe he has a hard time finding that happy medium of when to step in and when to step out.  It's like no one wants him to do anything except sign checks, then want to kill him for everything that happens with the team even though all he does is write checks now.  It's so hard to defend somebody that won't come out and defend themselves, his no show after the cheerleader controversy is exactly why I agree with you and quoted this part of your post.  I felt at the time and still do that Allen knew and Snyder didn't.  

Snyder is playing scared now, and now they've taken his checkbook from him.  This really is a make or break year for him as an owner because this franchise is going to go one of two directions given the number of empty seats we are seeing this year.  

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Again, Shanahan was given full control. He made a big deal about that when he was hired. And the first big move he made was trading for McNabb, which he was quite happy to crow about when it happened. But later, when it went wrong, it comes out that it was "forced" on the guy who insisted that he be given a contract that specified that nothing could be forced on him.

You can believe that if you like. 

I think there is a difference between forced and strongly coerced.  It’s one thing to have full control and it’s another thing to meet with the owner and team prez regularly and have them shove their ideas down your throat.  I can only imagine the amount of gnarly ideas these two came up with and presented to him that he turned down.  

I’m not letting Shanny off the hook for McNabb and RG3, because he went along for the ride when he didn’t have to.  But I’d bet everything I have that both ideas were not originally his and somehow some way convinced himself they would work out. 

My #1 Franchise in the NFL FOOL Proof Plan:

1. Can the front office, and the entire coaching staff, retaining only Kyle Smith, Brian Lafemina, maybe one other guy.  For the coaches, maybe retain Jim Tomsula, and thats about it.

2. Have Lafemina, and only Lafemina, without any Snyder influence, pick the next GM.  Who then picks the HC.  Who then picks his coaches.  Revolutionary, I know.

3. Cut Norman, Reed, and a few of the higher priced guys who we really havent gotten enough production out of.  If you can get draft picks for a few of the ageing and underperforming vets, do that as well.

4. If theres a good one you can get, draft a 1st round QB, and then draft for skill across all of the positions.

5. Stay out of the FA market for 2019.  We will lose several players to free agency, but if we stay out of it we may again end up with multiple comp picks. for 2020.

6. Realize that 2019 will suck.  Be bad, and embrace it.  Then, get some real nice draft position and...

7. Draft heavy in 2020 again, now giving you 2 full drafts under the new GM, loaded with new players on cheap deals.  But now also go into the FA market, getting 4-5 starters, including multiple linemen.  Since we didnt spend last year, we rolled over all of the saved cap and should have a ton.

8 Profit.

12 hours ago, Idaho fan said:

Another part of me thinks if we could just get the right GM and right Coach/staff this organization can get back to where it was in the 80s and early 90s. 

Don't worry, here comes our steady owner to the rescue again, like he has the past 18 years...

Archived