Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Cowboys II

KDawg

1 minute ago, OVCChairman said:

And when you're fighting for your job, you cant afford to come out flat against the team on your heals for the division.  The very sad reality is that we're likely to look back at yesterdays game as the literal tipping point of our season.  A victory virtually guarantees a division title... a loss basically removes that possibility.  Our season was on the line yesterday... Grudens job was on the line yesterday... It wouldn't surprise me if the entire coaching staff is replaced and it may well be simply be because they didn't have the aggressive nature to have a practice with a QB who hasn't had a first team rep in 2 seasons, when the season was on the line. 

I might make a unpopular opinion but i think Gruden has successful done his job here in DC, which is to make us average.  We aren't a clown show going 4-12 or 5-11 anymore.  We need someone know to take us to the next talent and Gruden is not that person.  

52 minutes ago, Bang said:

Random next day thoughts

1. McCoy didn't lose the game, but he didn't help. His picks were just awful decisions. The attempted throw to Quinn especially. Bad decision,k he wasn't open, and a bad ball on top of it. I know he only had a few days and no chance to run a real practice, but I think you could see much of why Colt is a marginal QB and a career backup.  Some real flutter balls.. he hit a lineman in the head on one of his first passes, bad interceptions, looked to me like decision making was rushed, even panicked at times. He can make some nice plays, but those faults are part of his game.

Edit

10. Playoffs and even the division are still quite possible. I wouldn't expect to go far, but I think we can make it. 

~Bang

Both you and @KDawg gave great breakdowns. Thanks! Just a few add ons. 

Colt will get a little better. Having said that, is Colt's best enough? I don;t think so. He is more exciting to watch but he just does not take care of the ball. Sorry, but I prefer boring Alex - but just barely. It's kind of bad or worse for me. 

How do you beat dallas? How does this team beat dallas? Establish the run. So, our scripted plays to start the game included 4 straight passes (maybe 5? Can;t remember). Most of the first 20 were passes. Why? Wtf? Very poor game plan. Let's take what won and ignore it. 

Can we file a class action lawsuit against the NFL and their refs for stealing our season? Not the cause really. But there do seem to be some really bad calls going against us at the worst times. Ok, that's my only contribution to the conspiracy thoughts. 

I said after NO anything less than 10-6 and PO win (clearly a PO win overcomes a 9-7 finish), and Bruce and Jay should be sent walking. Yes, injuries - I get it. I have beat that drum myself. However, many (of course not all - but many) of the players injured are guys with known injury histories. 

@Voice_of_Reason made some suggestions on how to move forward. It included firing Jay and Bruce, promoting Doug to President and Kyle Smith to Gm. On board with all that. Only difference is the type of HC wanted. I want whoever Kyle wants - period. We need to let the new GM (please make it Kyle) pick his own HC and roll with it. If we trust him to be GM, then trust him. Period. 

In the end, can this team still make the POs? Possibly.  But it's doubtful. My fear is with the decent nucleus emerging, it ends up being wasted on Bruce and Jay. Time to bring some new blood in.

And to those with the standard "no one any good will come here." That's complete bull****. There are only 32 of these jobs in the world. But let's say someone does turn it down. I do not want a loser like that to come here any way. Yea, I get Dan Snyder is a ****ing idiot. But again there are only 32 of these jobs in the world. Also, if the changes above are being made, I like Doug as the buffer between Kyle and any HC and Dan. 

5 gms left. Let's see what they are all made of. 

1 minute ago, skinfan2k said:

I might make a unpopular opinion but i think Gruden has successful done his job here in DC, which is to make us average.  We aren't a clown show going 4-12 or 5-11 anymore.  We need someone know to take us to the next talent and Gruden is not that person.  

I agree, he's appeared to stabilize the team, but he's never going to be a good enough HC to win... like you said, he's average.  

19 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

It's getting harder and harder to believe that there isn't at least a slight or a bias toward us.  It's too convenient how things work out sometimes.  I don't necessarily think they have round table meetings to figure out how we're gonna 'screw the Redskins' but I also have little doubt that everyone involved with the NFL knows who the favorites are.  

Every fan thinks the refs are out to get their team. We had a ton of calls go our way this year as well. 

3 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

I mean, when you think about it, consistently .500 4 years running with a .500 roster isnt really bad.  They've only had half a team at any one time.  

When they had a strong offense, the defense was terrible.  When we have an ok defense, the offense is terrible.  And that's from a talent perspective. They are under-talented on offense now like they were on defense before.  

5 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

So it wasn't just me?  I swear he looked totally different yesterday.  

Didnt he go out with a shoulder very early in the game?  He was probably gutting it out the rest of the way.

4 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Every fan thinks the refs are out to get their team. We had a ton of calls go our way this year as well. 

I am having a hard time believing this I'm sorry.

But to take the bias out of it, the inconsistency itself is maddening.  For us or against us, constant bad calls alters the outcome of a game.  It alters how players play because they train and practice to play within a certain set of rules, then on Sunday those rules are distorted.  They expect certain things to be called and their not.  They expect to be able to do certain things, then get punished for it.  It's terrible.  

7 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Besides the call on Clay Matthews where even Smith admitted it was a by the book tackle I don't think so.

Since then, League has toned down on Roughing the Passer to a point where even grabing a facemask like it happened to Colt yesterday isn't even a foul anymore...

2 minutes ago, Bang said:

They had to have just missed that facemask,,  that is  foul in any generation.

Hard to see how they missed it though. what with the referee being assigned specifically to watch the QB.

~Bang

And on the same play they gave us a first down on a 3rd down completion that was obviously short.  The penalty would have made it irrelevant but I'm just pointing out the inept officials have helped us as well as hurt us.   I can't believe how bad the officiating has been league wide all year. Saw more bad calls in the Saints game too.  

31 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

So it wasn't just me?  I swear he looked totally different yesterday.  

He certainly fell off the proverbial cliff that I tried to convince myself wouldn’t exist for him.

Pretty much everything else we ‘chicken littles’ expressed concern about early on is coming to roost.  And if anyone’s wondering, no - it doesn’t feel good to be right.

12 hours ago, KDawg said:

-Clock management. I said it in weeks passed and I'm saying it again right now: This team has no sense of urgency. When Gregory and Vander Esch were laying on the ground with the clock stopped the Skins should have had a play called and the Skins offense should have been on the LOS to snap the ball as soon as it was blown in. Same thing on the play where Reed got down to the 2 yard line or so and the Skins lollygagged up to the LOS. That's when you push the tempo. Move quick. Get the defense reeling. But this team has shown many, many times this season that they don't play with a sense of urgency when it really matters.

Nice write up as always. My thoughts have pretty much been covered by yourself, UK Skins Fan 74 and Bang, but I thought that the bolded part above needed repeating.

Even the commentators mentioned that we didn't seem to know that the clock would start when the ball was set. It is totally unacceptable for an NFL coach to not have his team prepared for the next play in that situation and it wasted a good 20 seconds. Probably wouldn't have changed the result, but still unacceptable.

I am interested in your thoughts on the O-Line play especially run blocking.  Do you think that they are creating holes for AP and he's not hitting them, or are the holes not there for him to hit?

15 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

And on the same play they gave us a first down on a 3rd down completion that was obviously short.  The penalty would have made it irrelevant but I'm just pointing out the inept officials have helped us as well as hurt us.   I can't believe how bad the officiating has been league wide all year. Saw more bad calls in the Saints game too.  

Yeah, i kept getting the feeling that woman side judge liked us.. she gave us a few really good spots.. including some that were in our favor by a half a yard giving us a first down.

~Bang

40 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I don't understand why people don't understand this.  The refs missed calls in our favor bad yesterday that would have made a difference in us moving the ball and time of possession, but from the production from a football standpoint, it still wouldn't have been enough to win yesterday.

5 minutes ago, NikeRedskin7 said:

I don't understand why people don't understand this.  The refs missed calls in our favor bad yesterday that would have made a difference in us moving the ball and time of possession, but from the production from a football standpoint, it still wouldn't have been enough to win yesterday.

It’s been like this for as long as I remember.  Probably easier to blame the refs than to accept the fact we root for a dysfunctional franchise.

Have you ever visited another NFL teams board?   They do the same thing.  Fans of most teams think refs are out to get them.  😂. It’s quite a conspiracy!

3 minutes ago, c slag said:

Three straight games against division opponents they lost the first one but need to find a way to win the next two getting out of this at 2 -1 is acceptable, but something in the line of 1-2 or 0-3 would be catastrophic 

Monday night on the road against the Eagles.  Yikes.  The Eagles are not playing well but they are definitely more talented than the Skins.  I don’t think this will end well.

We sitting here pretty mad at work in an empty Black Friday office, the stench of what was seen last night still fresh here. But honestly I am ready to move on. It was a bad week. Lose Sunday then travel to Dallas and lose Thursday. This team is still tied for the NFC East lead. This team can take advantage IF (and widely assumed) Saints beat Cowboys. You just have to beat Philly. Philly at the time of writing is 4-6 and reeling. Defensively they aren't the same juggernaut. 

One odd thing that I think we as Skins fans all know is how teams manage to step up against the Redskins. Cowboys had trouble going downfield. 2 huge plays yesterday. Cowboys defense struggled with takeaways. 3 picks on Colt yesterday. Eagles D was eviscerated by Saints. My fear is that the Eagles dominate Monday and then Redskins nation is really going to worry. Can't let that happen! Win Monday! 

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Would have been 15 yards tacked on to the 10 yard completion to Reed. Game changing miss.

9 minutes ago, pico926 said:

Would have been 15 yards tacked on to the 10 yard completion to Reed. Game changing miss.

Well I'm not so sure this is a game changing miss seeing as they lost by 8. But again the point is they missed a call in our favor as well. Oh and it wasn't a 10 yard completion, it was a 9 yard completion.  :)

2 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

And when you're fighting for your job, you cant afford to come out flat against the team on your heals for the division.  The very sad reality is that we're likely to look back at yesterdays game as the literal tipping point of our season.  A victory virtually guarantees a division title... a loss basically removes that possibility.  Our season was on the line yesterday... Grudens job was on the line yesterday... It wouldn't surprise me if the entire coaching staff is replaced and it may well be simply be because they didn't have the aggressive nature to have a practice with a QB who hasn't had a first team rep in 2 seasons, when the season was on the line. 

I am with you on this, without a practice you just go into the game for the division winging it. What did they do on Monday, I heard nothing! Either suck it up and get out there Mon or travel to Dallas Sunday night or Monday to work Tue and Wed. Why would you travel Wed? Grudens problem has always been he is way to much of a players coach and it shows in our games. Makes me wonder what other nonsense is going on we dont know about, apparently alot according to DJ.

Earlier in the season the Oline came out on Friday in suits to practice. Can you imagine Belichick allowing that...oohh and we got destroyed that Sunday. I saw a "wired up" section of training camp and one of the defensive players came out without all his pads...Gruden reminded him of the rules then made a joke about it...he is a really crappy HC.

I think the josh doctson improvement is him finally getting the ball sent his way to make a play. I thought colt played decently. Some bad decisions and throws with some excellent ones alex wouldnt have bothered to attempt. O line held up ok. D line played great in first half...second half left a little more to be desired but i was scared seeing allen down. Foster HAS TO be benched. I mean has to..i never see him make any plays. Put SDH next to brown and lets see how we fare. Norman got cooked, as with our entire secondary. Would of been dream like to get pat pete over haha...cause to deal with my pain and misery I'm merely going haha.  

4 minutes ago, Gibbs828791 said:

I am with you on this, without a practice you just go into the game for the division winging it. What did they do on Monday, I heard nothing! Either suck it up and get out there Mon or travel to Dallas Sunday night or Monday to work Tue and Wed. Why would you travel Wed?

I agree, I was shocked to hear that they went down there on Wednesday. Game for the division lead and you apparently don't run more than a walkthrough, leave basically 24 hours before the game. Ridiculous. He's as bad with people management as he is with clock management. Mediocre is the best you could hope for with him at this point. Teams are never up for huge games, always come out "flat" and uninspired when they have a chance to really change the team's narrative. I've had enough and seen enough. Next. 

Archived