Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So the skins are sitting 4-2.. let's take a look at the rest of the schedule

crabbypatty

Eagles are not gonna go away.  They have the talent to overcome a 2 game deficit considering the Skins are 1-2 injuries on defense away from being mediocre again.

The fun part is this team is winning BECAUSE of the Dline.  Cant remember the last time I said that...  We will be favored in a lot of those games and definitely have a chance to win 9-10 games.

11 minutes ago, illone said:

Eagles are not gonna go away.  They have the talent to overcome a 2 game deficit considering the Skins are 1-2 injuries on defense away from being mediocre again.

The fun part is this team is winning BECAUSE of the Dline.  Cant remember the last time I said that...  We will be favored in a lot of those games and definitely have a chance to win 9-10 games.

What happened to that guy we signed from the Browns this year? He was ex-U of Florida, I believe.

26 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Folks we have the recipe for a Super Bowl., right here

#1 Defense

Kick ass running game

QB who don't make mistakes

Point by point:

• Yes, we have one defense
  • Yes, our running game has been pretty good
  • Meh. He doesn't necessarily turn the ball over himself, he just lets Tress Way do it instead.

Someone said ESPN had us 14th in the power rankings. NFL.com has us 10th. The write-up is below. 

Here is what I think the rest of th season - full disclosure: After the NO game I did not see more than 2 more wins on the schedule. So this is subject to change several hundred times per game and at least twice after each game.

Washington @ New York - They just traded Eli Apple. It's a sign they are looking at next year already. Jay exercises some more demons here. 

Atlanta @ Washington - Atlanta is a bad team. I live here I see and hear it all. Their D is small. They are quick for sure but our Oline should wear them down. But they are also just plain bad. Thier offense is Ok but we can shut down thier run game which will force Matty Ice to throw a few our way - at least one ofr a pick 6. Could not believe it took NY till the 4th Q to get in the EZ. Shows how bad NY is.  

Washington @ Tampa Bay - TB is a real up and down team. But 5 in a row is a lot to ask and it's at TB. Tough to win at Raymond James. 

Houston @ Washington - Can't believe you guys are sleeping on Houston. Don't look now but they are in 1st place in their division after winning 4 games straight (Yes, I know, it's weaker than ours, but still.) and playing really good football. Let's see how the Redskins come back from the loss to TB. 

Washington @ Dallas - Hard to beat any team twice - especially on the road and on Thanksgiving. 

Washington @ Philadelphia - Redskins surprise everyone after losing 3 straight to beat philly in philly. Everyone is finding out Carson Wentz is human and just an average QB who had a lot of fortunate bounces late year. 

New York @ Washington - We sweep NY. 

Washington @ Jacksonville - This one is hard. Bortles will not be the QB by this time. Lot's of turmoil in Jacksonville right now. But they have a great D even though they got torched a few games. And if they get a QB that just doesn't hurt them, it could be trouble for the B&G. I will go with Jacksonville, but would not be surprised if we go down and hand it to them. 

Washington @ Tennessee - TN is jut not good. This should be an easy one - yea! Right! No seriously, we should win this one. 

Philadelphia @ Washington - More demons exercised. We beat Philly to get to 10-6 and win the division. 

image.png.b7cccada3f6a9e03a4e9018c6ee03aa7.png

3 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

What happened to that guy we signed from the Browns this year? He was ex-U of Florida, I believe.

3 hours ago, illone said:

Caleb Brantley?

'Ol Brantsy Pants not only played yesterday, but he contributed to the win.

He was the other guy besides Payne that jumped on the FG attempt that drew the flag.

Here is what Football Outsiders thinks of us and our remaining opponents.  DVOA is a number that's supposed to measure how far above (positive) or below (negative) the team has played compared to league average (0.00).

RANK TEAM DVOA
13 HOU 5.20%
17 JAX -3.90%
18 WAS -4.50%
19 DAL -4.70%
21 PHI -6.80%
21 PHI -6.80%
23 ATL -11.60%
24 NYG -11.70%
24 NYG -11.70%
25 TEN -14.20%
27 TB -17.70%

For completeness, here are the teams we've already played:

RANK TEAM DVOA
7 NO 14.40%
9 CAR 11.90%
14 IND 4.50%
15 GB 3.20%
18 WAS -4.50%
19 DAL -4.70%
31 ARI -36.60%

My takeaways:

* We are a slightly below average team.

* We were lucky to beat two teams better than and one team equal to us (Dallas), to get to 4-2.

* The rest of our schedule is mediocre and bad teams.

* The Redskins traditionally have found ways to lose to bad teams.

9 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Folks we have the recipe for a Super Bowl., right here

#1 Defense

Kick ass running game

QB who don't make mistakes

you were doing semi-ok until you put QB who don't make mistakes.  I guess what he did in the last possession last game was not a mistake that only a rookie makes?  The fact that he missed plenty of receivers that were open with the most blatant being Sprinkle in the endzone is not mistakes?  If we had Cousins I would say yea without injuries to the DL or OL we have a fair chance to make it to the championship game (no more) but with Smith I would be happy with an 8-8 record if he keeps playing at this level.  

Just now, TheGreek1973 said:

you were doing semi-ok until you put QB who don't make mistakes.  I guess what he did in the last possession last game was not a mistake that only a rookie makes?  The fact that he missed plenty of receivers that were open with the most blatant being Sprinkle in the endzone is not mistakes?  If we had Cousins I would say yea without injuries to the DL or OL we have a fair chance to make it to the championship game (no more) but with Smith I would be happy with an 8-8 record if he keeps playing at this level.  

If cousins was running that play, he wouldn't have run out of bounds. That's for sure. He'd have been too busy throwing an interception instead.

11 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

'Ol Brantsy Pants not only played yesterday, but he contributed to the win.

He was the other guy besides Payne that jumped on the FG attempt that drew the flag.

Thanks for pointing it out. Hopefully he can contribute more in relief of the starting DTs as the season wears on.

I don't think we're below average. The D appears to be well above average, even if flawed(relative to the rest of the league). The ST at least in terms of kicking game and coverage is very good. The offense can at least run the ball. The only real mediocre part of our team is our passing attack, which I suppose gets weighted heavier in today's pass happy NFL. I think we're an 8-9 win team that might win 11 due to strength of schedule, but that could fall if the teams we play improve or if we get hit with the injury bug.

6 more wins should win the division.....lets make 5 of them be in the division and it would likely only take 9 wins.

17 hours ago, dswerdlw said:

If you run the ball well and stop the run, you win the time of possession game.  We're doing those three things.  Teams are playing well too.  If we get any passing game going.....

We will....count on it. Jay already alluded to the passing game saying that Doctson's good days are gonna come. Reed staying healthy and he'll get his too. Alex needs to build chemistry with these two and the passing game will click.

• 2 weeks later...

Honest to goodness, looking at the remaining schedule, it's easy for me to see at least 6 losses in the final 9 games.

Things don't match up to my eye between what the hypeists are saying about the record and what I see on film. 

The current record is overinflated in my estimation. Breaking down the individual wins shows some real fortunate turn of events, like the erroneous ball movement false start against the cows that negated a game-tying FG attempt, and at least two cakewalk victories against wholly floundering opponents, imo, both in arizona and new york, separated by several weeks. 

Yet neither of those victorious were resounding wins, despite being against forlorn teams. Arizona is bad, and they were clearly bad then in week 1, if of course you were confused how screen passes and swing passes were being turned into chunk yardage by washington, or how read option sweep was turning into 15 / 20 yard gains by both Peterson and Thompson, again and again. I wasn't fooled then.  

So the result the following week against Indy felt more par for the course. 

But we certainly know now just how bad arizona was in week one after following their output these last 8 weeks, And presently both organizations have had to deal with media provocateurs, if not the downright spectre of death circling around certain coaches and front office people, especially with the ny media and the head coach of the giants. 

But like I said, not resounding wins. Not in the way like New Orleans spanked washington. And that means something. To what end, I suspect for things to even out, particular results wise, in the second half of the season. I just don't have an equity for this team to continue to win squeakers hitherto the playoffs and beyond to glory, as other threads have talked about the superbowl. I like a laugh too, but. 

The dallas game sticks in my craw because of the playcalling both teams used for the first 3 and half quarters. It seemed almost pre-determined to be a conservative gameplan from both sides, but especially so with Garrett, in order to keep it a close margin game up until the final period.

I pushed away visions of a handshake deal, but I distinctly had recall of games like michigan versus michigan state, or the lsu / bama game from ... whenever the hell it was, 2011 I guess, where both coaches were determined to run the ball endlessly until finally at some point, eventually, someone broke through with a large gain after "wearing down" the defense. A wear them down battle of attrition game, which I don't mind at all, in fact it would be a refreshing departure from the current climate / stylistic football. But it just felt weird what I was watching. 

It was like Garrett unapologetically kept running the ball deapite it clearly being the washington defense's gameplan to sellout to stop the run. And they were. Just keep running it despite their passing game having already had success. It wasn't until late in the 4th that finally Garrett relented and decided to pass the ball, in earnest, and then of course they moved the ball and scored. Even had a chance to tie it up. Then the penalty. 

Just weird. I'm still hoping everything from that game was above board. 

Both carolina and dallas seemed like they were sleepwalking for the 1st three quarters of each of those games before a last period reanimation. Clearly the secret to washington's success so far has been a complimentary run game, if not the sole reason for success. Smith's legs are what I believed lead to the victory against green bay. I vaguely remember he converted at least two if not three 3rd downs with his legs against GB. 

However, the remaining teams here on out will not be afraid of screen passes or an inside-out short passing game in-between the numbers, just as Indy was not. And Indy ain't some world beater. 

Likewise defenses can see, clear as day, that if they shut down the run game and force Smith to win the game with his arm, or better yet, make him throw deep, he's actually quite terrible at deep passing accuracy and efficiency. I mean, the defensive gameplan against washington is pretty straightforward, here on out. It just comes down to executing.

Therefore, if washington finds themself in a game where the opposing defense is preventing them from relying on their dink and dunk inside-out passing game and the college read option sweep game, then washington will have to find a way to win differently than what they have used so far, which has lead them to 5 victories. And I kind of question that. 

I just, I guess I just don't get what others are all jitter bugged up about.

1 hour ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Honest to goodness, looking at the remaining schedule, it's easy for me to see at least 6 losses in the final 9 games.

Things don't match up to my eye between what the hypeists are saying about the record and what I see on film. 

Your prediction is very possible. So is 9-11 wins and a playoff birth.

If the Skins do miss out on the playoffs, goodbye Jay.  We control our destiny.  We will find out pretty quickly which path we are taking this year.  Does a good start lead to a playoff run or do we collapse and miss the playoffs?

I think the most important thing during this stretch is to get the passing game rolling. I could see teams go hard in stopping our run game and challenge us to beat them deep. Right now we are in a problems if AP can not get rolling. Quick screens and short passes will not work great against these teams. They are pretty decent in stopping does. Lot of speed. 

4 hours ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

I just, I guess I just don't get what others are all jitter bugged up about.

Honest to goodness, when you looked at the first 7 games, did you see 5 wins?   C'mon guy (girl?), give a little bit of due credit and enjoy the ride...

Archived