Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So the skins are sitting 4-2.. let's take a look at the rest of the schedule

crabbypatty

29 minutes ago, carex said:

except that missing the starting QB and our OL situations are legitimate reasons to drop off in production

The Eagles lost their starting QB last year and won the Super Bowl.  I’m sure they had other injuries - most teams do towards the end of a season.  

If the Giants win tomorrow then they almost end the Eagles season and kind of somehow miraculously keep theirs just ever so slightly alive. We need a Giants victory otherwise the Linc will be jumping next Monday. Philly literally has no corners, the Giants have every chance I think.

I still think things could look very different for us in ten days time, despite everyone thinking the sky is well and truly falling. A New York and New Orleans victory before we next suit up would be nice.

19 minutes ago, Csup said:

The Eagles lost their starting QB last year and won the Super Bowl.  I’m sure they had other injuries - most teams do towards the end of a season.  

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/2017-adjusted-games-lost

Here's a quote from the article

After Washington finished last in AGL in 2017, we can say that Gruden has had the most injured teams of any coach since 2002

27 minutes ago, carex said:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/2017-adjusted-games-lost

Here's a quote from the article

After Washington finished last in AGL in 2017, we can say that Gruden has had the most injured teams of any coach since 2002

Out of curiosity, what do you think the Skins record is last year without the injuries?

2 hours ago, Csup said:

Amoungst others:

Darren sproles (probably future HOF)

Carson Wentz (MVP candidate)

Jason Peters (First ballot HOF)

Jordan Hicks, starting OLB

Those Guys led an IR list that totaled 12.

I’d argue the Skins didn’t last year, nor this year, lose as many players as high a calibre as the Eagles list last year. They did lose more guys last year, I’ll grant you. 

As I said, injuries happen.  And they can and do have an effect.  But good coaches find ways to adapt.

When Gruden loses guys he complains about it, days it’s hard to have practice with guys out, mentions the production loss from guys who aren’t there and then has no idea wht to do, sticks with essentially the same plan, and loses.  The won game they won last year with injuries, they needed the Seattle kicker to miss 4 FGs

The only teams they beat last year after the injuries happened were the dreadful Cardinals and Broncos, which were QBed by the absolute worst 2 QBs in the league.  If they would have even played a ye QBed by Butt Fumble they might have lost those games. 

If Gruden had tried ANYTHING different I’d give him a huge pass.  But he never adjusts.  He just keeps trying the same, mundane, conservative, predictable strategy over and over and hoping for different results.  Which is, of course, the definition of insanity.

1 hour ago, carex said:

not a clue

9-7 would be my guess.  2 game bump.

I also think they could have gotten to 9-7 if Gruden has managed the clock better against KC and didn’t have his balls completely retract against the Saints. 

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If Gruden had tried ANYTHING different I’d give him a huge pass.  But he never adjusts.  He just keeps trying the same, mundane, conservative, predictable strategy over and over and hoping for different results.  Which is, of course, the definition of insanity.

9-7 would be my guess.  2 game bump.

you think it's a smarter idea to take more risks when using less experienced, less talented players?

40 minutes ago, carex said:

you think it's a smarter idea to take more risks when using less experienced, less talented players?

I think telegraphing whst you’re going to do with less talented players will result in them being beaten 1:1 100% of the time.

Being unpredictable helps your guys out.  Gruden’s full name is Jay Predictable Conservative Gruden.

Also, it has actually never worked so why not try something else?

14 hours ago, carex said:

except that missing the starting QB and our OL situations are legitimate reasons to drop off in production

But we haven't dropped off in production, not even close. This offense has not practiced 1 time together since Colt took over, and still put points on the board against 2 very good defenses. Does anyone think that finally practicing together is going to make this offense worse? Not happening. Tighten this defense up Manusky and we will win this division.

Ok...answer me this...who has the better pass protection o line between the eagles and cowboys?....the last couple weeks we have been getting to the qb quite well..we sacked Dak a handful of times...I think (pending on the Greeks health)we will feast on Wentz..will learn how to tackle again and our d is going to ball out next Monday night!

1 hour ago, bakedtater1 said:

Ok...answer me this...who has the better pass protection o line between the eagles and cowboys?....the last couple weeks we have been getting to the qb quite well..we sacked Dak a handful of times...I think (pending on the Greeks health)we will feast on Wentz..will learn how to tackle again and our d is going to ball out next Monday night!

I'm with ya on that, our flaws are very fixable and many of these players have too much pride to repeat that debacle in Dallas. With the Cowboys 7 MVP's not being enough for the Saints game, we will take back over 1st place on Monday Night.

Cowboys MVP.jpg

7 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I predicted 6-10 at the beginning of the season. I still might hit that mark. We could loose out at this point.

I predicted 8-8.

I believe that’s the odds on favorite at the moment. 

More likely is 7-9, beating a really bad Jags team.

Though IF they win on Monday, I think they get to 9-7.  

It really all comes down to Monday.  If they win, they can feel good about themselves and beat the Giants at home.

If they lose, all talk will be about blowing a 2 game division lead and who’s going to be fired. 

I predicted 8-8.

It really all comes down to Monday.  If they win, they can feel good about themselves and beat the Giants at home.

If they lose, all talk will be about blowing a 2 game division lead and who’s going to be fired. 

I predicted 7-9 at the beginning and I think we got a good chance at that.

There's too much time between the Dallas and Philly game.  A national game in Philly.  We are going to come out lethargic and Philly will score 2 TDs pretty quickly.  The game will be effectively over, before the first quarter ends.  There is no chance in hell, the Skins win on Monday.

We will then be 6-6. Still have 4 potentially winnable games. Giants, @Jags,@Titans,Eagles.   If the Skins can finish 3-1, with the only loss being either the Jags or Titans; they probably can still make the playoffs.     I view the Giants game as the deciding game.  If we lose that, we probably fall to 6-7.  That would be 4 straight losses.  My guess, we lose that game; the team finally quits for the year.  Only win, might be the Jaguars; which  will ultimately lead to my 7-9 prediction.

I wonder if we do lose the next 2 games, will Snyder fire Gruden.  He fired Norv with 3 games to go in 2000.

I predicted 8-8.

Jags for me is the iffy game. It kinda depends on how they respond to their meltdown yesterday with the big fight.

13 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Jags for me is the iffy game. It kinda depends on how they respond to their meltdown yesterday with the big fight.

I'm going to remain optimistic that Jay can pull a rabbit out of his hat on MNF.  If he does, we're in good shape. 

If not, we either lose out or we might get the Jags game. 

Even if we win against the Eagles and Giants, I don't see us beating Tennessee on the road.  In order to win the division they need to win 10 games, which probably means sweeping the Eagles, beating the Giants and Jags.

I doubt that happens, but if they win on MNF, it could.  The team has enough talent to do it, honestly.  The Eagles, Giants and Jags are not good football teams. 

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'm going to remain optimistic that Jay can pull a rabbit out of his hat on MNF.  If he does, we're in good shape. 

If not, we either lose out or we might get the Jags game. 

Even if we win against the Eagles and Giants, I don't see us beating Tennessee on the road.  In order to win the division they need to win 10 games, which probably means sweeping the Eagles, beating the Giants and Jags.

I doubt that happens, but if they win on MNF, it could.  The team has enough talent to do it, honestly.  The Eagles, Giants and Jags are not good football teams. 

I don't see us beating Philthy with a 11 game layoff, on the road, on MNF, with them having a chance to get back in real contention.

On 11/24/2018 at 8:45 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think telegraphing whst you’re going to do with less talented players will result in them being beaten 1:1 100% of the time.

Being unpredictable helps your guys out.  Gruden’s full name is Jay Predictable Conservative Gruden.

Also, it has actually never worked so why not try something else?

What exactly hasn't worked? 

In fairness, Gruden's conservative philosophy this year had gotten us 60% through the season winning 2 out of every 3 games. You could also argue that being even MORE conservative in the Texans game may have had us very well-positioned to get our 7th win (the 10 or 14 point swing on the pick-6 turned out to be a monumentally huge play). 

I think his run-the-ball-field-position approach had proven out as a winning formula for the 2018 Redskins. Obviously, it wouldn't have worked last year with Kelley/Perine and that D. But 2017 was 2017. Before the entire dynamic exploded and we were forced to change, that approach had us sitting at 6-3 with and one fluke pick-6 from being tied at halftime of our 11th game. To me, that's a decent sample size and track record to hang your hat on.  

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Me neither.  But it hasn’t happened yet, and it’s a true code red game.  So who knows...

I don't have my hopes up, but Gruden HAS won some important games in his time here. So, it's not like there's no precedent. We've also traditionally won meaningful late-season games in Philly for whatever reason (2005, 2012, 2015, and 2016). 

We do not have to win the division to have a successful season. With the rough schedule and injuries I would take a wild card game right now. We have to beat the birds at least one time and the Giants. That will get us 8 wins, one more against the birds or Jags gets us 9 and imo may be god enough for a WC game. Thoughts?

Just now, 50yrSKINSfan said:

We do not have to win the division to have a successful season. With the rough schedule and injuries I would take a wild card game right now. We have to beat the birds at least one time and the Giants. That will get us 8 wins, one more against the birds or Jags gets us 9 and imo may be god enough for a WC game. Thoughts?

I agree with you. I also think it would be tough to win 9 games (with 4 being in the division) and not win the division. But, if somehow we do that and Dallas gets the East while we get the 5/6 seed, I agree it would be successful to me too. 

Archived