Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Offensive Line Thread

KDawg

3 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

So, our remaining tackles are Williams, Moses, Nsekhe, and Austin Howard.  Our remaining guards are Bergstrom, Cooper, and Bowanko.  Roullier starts at center. Now that Christian is out for the season, do we sign another tackle?

We should, right?

Hopefully, someone promising off of another teams practice squad.

That's bad news for Christian. He was already a project with lots to work on to salvage that pick, and now he's got a mid-season MCL tear to recover and rehab from. Which means he won't be 100% by training camp, and even when he is, we'll have to be careful with him and worry about compensation injuries to his other leg, to his hammies and groin, etc. working his way back from that MCL. When all is said and done this will probably add a year to his development (assuming he has the potential to develop like Moses and Roullier did), which is both bad for us in the shorter term and the longer term as we'll have much less time to evaluate how worthy he is of an extension after year 4. What a disaster for a developmental OL. 

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

That's bad news for Christian. He was already a project with lots to work on to salvage that pick, and now he's got a mid-season MCL tear to recover and rehab from. Which means he won't be 100% by training camp, and even when he is, we'll have to be careful with him and worry about compensation injuries to his other leg, to his hammies and groin, etc. working his way back from that MCL. When all is said and done this will probably add a year to his development (assuming he has the potential to develop like Moses and Roullier did), which is both bad for us in the shorter term and the longer term as we'll have much less time to evaluate how worthy he is of an extension after year 4. What a disaster for a developmental OL. 

isn't torn MCL less of a recovery time?

I'm a tad perplexed how Cooper is getting so much love from one game. Granted, he did about as well as can be expected given the circumstances but I've seen a lot of praise and some insinuate that we are fine at the position now.

Let's wait and see how our OL performs against the divisional teams with so much to play for. He could just as quickly turn into a liability next week for all we know but I'm glad he did well Sunday

Terrible news on Christian. Was looking forward to him gaining more time and developing. Dang if we aren't a bit snakebit with injuries to our team. The key is we are persevering, we aren't laying down confidence wise.  We aren't thinking twice and we are moving forward. It's encouraging. Hope the young man gets well and back on his feet pronto.

6 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

We should, right?

Hopefully, someone promising off of another teams practice squad.

That was my thought last week. (when we had a healthy Christian) Surely there's a young stud stashed away on someones practice squad out there. The downfall to stealing from another teams PS is that the stolen player has to be on the active roster of the new team for several weeks. Ummm, with our rash of OL injuries I don't think that will be a problem. It's a great opportunity to infuse some youthful talent to our roster without even having to spend a draft pick.

From a quick glance online, Vikings  OT Storm Norton (big tall kid) and Ravens G Nico Siragusa are young'ns worth a look

Of course we lose Christian early in the game.

I continue to call bunk that OL have to have years of reps next to each other... for continuity.  That we often hear quoted as important for OL to play next to the same guy for them to be their best. Here is my beef. They all have specific assignments no matter who the hell is next to them.  You get a new guy in there and you know what, they are healthy and hungry.   Its not always a negative to make a change, as long as they can handle the playbook enough to not blow assignments and get the QB smoked.

The guy we have to bring in to replace Christian is Cornelius Lucas. Take a look at a profile of him here: https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2018/7/12/17536912/2018-los-angeles-rams-roster-preview-ol-cornelius-lucas-kansas-state

Seems similar to Nsekhe in that he's also a very tall tackle who pass protects well but isn't a great pass blocker. He's a solid backup tackle who got caught in a numbers game in LA - he lost his job to a rookie 3rd rounder, who wasn't going to get cut. Given he played under McVay last year, my guess is he should have some familiarity with our offense

Funny that lots of people here wanted to get Cooper in for a look in the past given his pedigree and raw talent and our stud OL coach, but it took an injury apocolypse for our FO to consider it. Not saying he's a hidden gem or a stud necessarily, but it seems so obvious that he was kind of a lump of talented clay that you'd at least want to take a look at, from a fan perspective...and here we finally are.

Archived