Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Offensive Line Thread

KDawg

20 minutes ago, ksun247 said:

SKINS just waived C. Dunn as reported on Team 980. Guess, one of the new guys is way better than him. Sucks that he was here all season and then lose his roster spot. Was he that bad?

Riggo's Rag has an article regarding it.

And I share their concerns. It's a WTF kind of move. Why waive the guy now? Especially to add McKinzy who will probably be inactive come game day. So that really makes no sense, especially with all the injuries. He's definately not all pro, obviously, but he showed more than Christian so far.

We'll see if they stash him back onto the practice squad, though that seem doubtful.

The best scenario I could come up to explain this is that the guy complained to the coach about not being given his chance considering the situation. But even that doesn't look like Gruden...

So that's really, really, really weird of a move.

The only saving grace is that Tampa Bay is bad against the run, and worse against the pass.  The best thing to help an O-line that is not familiar with each other is to run the football.   Get the line moving FORWARD, not back in pass pro.  I really hope we don't get cute and come out throwing the football all over the field.  Play our game, run the ball, the passing game will have it's chances.  They have weapons, so the best thing we can do is keep out Defense fresh and get out to a lead.  Control the ball and the clock.  I don't want to see some attempt to make Alex what he's not.   OUR game is good enough to win tomorrow, we just have to execute it.  

Roullier has proven to be a very good draft pick. Looks likes he's got enough to stick around at C for some time. 

Can't say im that bothered about Dunn being let go from a player perspective, however the move does smack of poor roster management in his case from September to now. 

11 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Roullier has proven to be a very good draft pick. Looks likes he's got enough to stick around at C for some time. 

Can't say im that bothered about Dunn being let go from a player perspective, however the move does smack of poor roster management in his case from September to now. 

It does make ya wonder why... and why now?   Maybe because he didn't have the flexibility that he was able to play G, and they realized after the most recent rendition, that the Chase / Bergstrom experiment wasn't good enough so the need for a 3rd center was not necessary?  I don't know, I'm just spitballing here. 

26 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

We never heard anything from the local press about Casey Dunn.   Maybe they will bring him back later if they have more injuries?  If he was really bad one of the coaches would have told one of the local beat writers by now.

The thing to note is that we haven't signed anyone to the PS to replace McKinzy's spot.

Looks like we're waiting for Dunn to clear waivers and sign him there.

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

The only saving grace is that Tampa Bay is bad against the run, and worse against the pass.  

Every time I read these sorts of thoughts, accurate as they may seem, the opponent comes out and plays like a top 5 team in the very aspects that they were considered weak. They come out like hungry animals fighting for their very existence.. and dominate. 

200.webp?cid=3640f6095be6f6e16b5a563267b

Just now, Sandy Monk said:

Every time I read these sorts of thoughts, accurate as they may seem, the opponent comes out and plays like a top 5 team in the very aspects that they were considered weak. They come out like hungry animals fighting for their very existence.. and dominate. 

I'm with you... and it's a big part of my problem with Gruden.  Last week on 3rd and 2 we lined up with an empty backfield.... on 3rd and 2... with AP on the bench... on 3rd and 2.  No threat to run the ball.  Luckily Smith found Harris for a 1st down, but why not at least have an RB in the game so the LBs have to pay attention.  He doesn't use the teams strength and evolve off of it.  If his system is working, we go that way... if it's not, we're lost.  Kapri Bibbs caught a screen pass and took 23 yards to the house vs Dallas... since then he has 4 catches for 43 yards... 1 for 15 vs ATL.  

If I'm Callahan, this week I'm getting an idea about the conditioning of these guys... If they're in decent shape, I'm going to Gruden and insisting that we're going sideline to sideline.  I want sweeps, tosses, zone runs, screens, bootlegs, counter runs, toss backs.  Move the pocket, get the O-line moving and out of head to head pass pro.  Prevent the Bucs from taking advantage of the lack of continuity.  Jet sweeps, play action, rub routes to the flat for Bibbs / Peterson... 

I seriously fear that Gruden is going to come out wanting to throw the ball around a ton.  Wanna take a shot on 2nd and 4 on our first drive?  Yes, please do... keep the defense on their toes.... but please don't go 100% in one direction or the other where we're trying to get in a shootout, or we're running HB Dive every 3rd play unless it's working. 

14 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Sad thing, is with the injuries to the starters, we have to look to the streets for replacements, because our backups on the 53 weren't all good enough to step up.

That's because we expected guys with injuries history to remain miraculously healthy all year long.

Hardly a recipe for success.

Giants cut Omameh to join Flower ditched from their opening starting OL. It's kind of a tough gig getting the OL thing right to be fair, i don't think we are too far off. The reality is you have JAGs getting 5mil plus a year. 

Based on the OL contracts we have in place, with Scherff to follow, we need to hit the right spot with a solid FA acquisition and a value draft selection in 2019.

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Giants cut Omameh to join Flower ditched from their opening starting OL. It's kind of a tough gig getting the OL thing right to be fair, i don't think we are too far off. The reality is you have JAGs getting 5mil plus a year. 

Based on the OL contracts we have in place, with Scherff to follow, we need to hit the right spot with a solid FA acquisition and a value draft selection in 2019.

I'd rather take someone who was recently cut, such as the Giants players you mentioned, than someone who hasn't played this year.

The reason is because of the Dez example ; Seems like yet another injury risk to take a player who isn't fully in "football shape" due to lack of recent game activity.

Jaguars took Flowers, so there seems to be something to that theory of mine.

Not saying I'd take Omameh in particular, because I'm not familiar with him, just that we should put a lot of emphasis on guys who played this season a little, then got cut.

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

That's because we expected guys with injuries history to remain miraculously healthy all year long.

Hardly a recipe for success.

Moses played through his injuries last year.  Trent has a history of getting hurt and coming back quicker than most plus has our best backup behind him.  Scherff also has played through his injuries.  Only Lauvao has the kind of history you mention, and we had several alternatives, all who also got hurt

27 minutes ago, carex said:

Moses played through his injuries last year.  Trent has a history of getting hurt and coming back quicker than most plus has our best backup behind him.  Scherff also has played through his injuries.  Only Lauvao has the kind of history you mention, and we had several alternatives, all who also got hurt

So Moses, Williams, Scherff all have injuries history because they use to play through injuries at various degrees of succes.

But only Lauvao gas an injury history?

Feel like 'm gonna need a translator or something...

16 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

So Moses, Williams, Scherff all have injuries history because they use to play through injuries at various degrees of succes.

But only Lauvao gas an injury history?

Feel like 'm gonna need a translator or something...

the kind of history that makes you immediately worry about replacing them

I am surprised our run game hasn't opened up play action more than it has. It's like we don't even try.   Or have we been doing it all year, and I have had my head down staring at a ****ing computer.

If there is a week to have successful play action working, it would be sunday with the new guys on the line.

I'd be curious to see if we do too Tampa something similar to what Atlanta did to us. According to Cooley and Goldston and Mitchell, when they were going to pass, they made it look like a run and when they were going to run, they made it look like a pass. That put out linemen in one knee when they were getting double teamed for the run, then the linemen switch to pass block and have already won. 

If we can do that with our backups, maybe we can keep AP running well. 

10 hours ago, carex said:

the kind of history that makes you immediately worry about replacing them

Considering that both Williams and Moses have had injuries the last two years and battled through them, you have to take it into account and start thinking that they won't be doing this for long.

3 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Considering that both Williams and Moses have had injuries the last two years and battled through them, you have to take it into account and start thinking that they won't be doing this for long.

Ty Nsekhe and a guy who can replace them eventually like Christian

Archived