Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Offensive Line Thread

KDawg

11 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

I liked it but it was obviously a huge risk, and expensive. Will probably cut loose of him after 2019, unless he explodes into goodness.. which is pretty LOLz at this point. 

Expensive?  He's getting $4M this year, $7.5 in 2019, and $8.5M in 2020, he was the best of what was left after Robinson and Landry were gone.

For some perspective, Ryan Grant is making $5M this year with Indy.

Just now, JSSkinz said:

Expensive?  He's getting $4M this year, $7.5 in 2019, and $8.5M in 2020, he was the best of what was left after Robinson and Landry were gone.

For some perspective, Ryan Grant is making $5M this year with Indy.

M focus was more on the overall contract compared to what his durability and production showed. It's not awful, and I liked the signing then. Not hating it now either, really. We'll see where it goes. 

1 minute ago, Sandy Monk said:

Something to definitely revisit after the 2019 season. Would be great if he's worth keeping at that point. Can not wait to see Guice next season. :) 

I agree, I really thought Doctson would come into his own this year, but that didnt happen, and Richardson not physical enough to get off own his own. He needs someone to draw the coverage away, and then jump free.  But he is solid in going to get balls, good hands and such.

1 minute ago, Sandy Monk said:

M focus was more on the overall contract compared to what his durability and production showed. It's not awful, and I liked the signing then. Not hating it now either, really. We'll see where it goes. 

If you look at WR salaries he's being paid like a #2 WR and his contract escalates year by year just like the salaries throughout the league will escalate.

If we had a QB who could throw the ball maybe we would know what we had in Paul.

1 minute ago, dcdiscokid said:

I agree, I really thought Doctson would come into his own this year, but that didnt happen, and Richardson not physical enough to get off own his own. He needs someone to draw the coverage away, and then jump free.  But he is solid in going to get balls, good hands and such.

I went all kinds of positive pre-September, and am likely eating lots of crow by December. I saw a lot to be hopeful of.. and am not ashamed in the least about being optimistic. I just go with my gut feeling and let the rest roll along. Now, my gut says this remaining season is going to circle the drain in miserable fashion. Could be wrong again, and I hope to be. It's all about the ride though. Getting knocked down bloody is fine. Just got to keep getting back up and smiling. 

1 minute ago, JSSkinz said:

If you look at WR salaries he's being paid like a #2 WR and his contract escalates year by year just like the salaries throughout the league will escalate.

If we had a QB who could throw the ball maybe we would know what we had in Paul.

Fantastic. 

Just now, JSSkinz said:

Its not just Alex , problem is there is no threat, he cant beat coverage cause why would you think another is going to beat you.  And he's not deshaun, he cant just run past everyone, he needs attention taken away and then get free.

35 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Paul Richardson was an huge injury risk since the day we signed him. Was not a big fan of the signing although we did need someone I guess.

I liked the signing, he's had some moments this season but he's been banged up for a good chunk of the season,  Having said that, he's not a #1 receiver.  they arguably have a bunch of #3 type receivers right now.  And i like Doctson better than most.

I like the Clinton-Dix signing.  But I wonder if they will regret not getting Tate.  Tate IMO is better than any of our receivers.  If I recall he's one of the top WRs in the league at YAC, and our receiver crew doesn't do YAC well.  Now we got to face him, too. 

I don't think Alex has played well.  But I'll say in his defense, he's not playing with anyone in the passing game that can bail him out -- someone who can take a short pass -- hitch, screen and take it to the house.  Ironically, somewhat like Atlanta did at times to us yesterday. 

Will see if the new O line signings patch things up to stay competitive.  I won't judge it until i see it.  But if interior O line injuries end up doing this team in AGAIN -- its on them IMO.   It's not as if this is some new problem that came out of nowhere. 

7 minutes ago, dcdiscokid said:

Its not just Alex , problem is there is no threat, he cant beat coverage cause why would you think another is going to beat you.  And he's not deshaun, he cant just run past everyone, he needs attention taken away and then get free.

He's been hurt all year, people have been saying for weeks he doesn't look like he's running a 4.3, it is what it is.

Point is he wasn't expensive in today's market.

I liked the signing, he's had some moments this season but he's been banged up for a good chunk of the season,  Having said that, he's not a #1 receiver.  they arguably have a bunch of #3 type receivers right now.  And i like Doctson better than most.

I like the Clinton-Dix signing.  But I wonder if they will regret not getting Tate.  Tate IMO is better than any of our receivers.  If I recall he's one of the top WRs in the league at YAC, and our receiver crew doesn't do YAC well.  Now we got to face him, too. 

I don't think Alex has played well.  But I'll say in his defense, he's not playing with anyone in the passing game that can bail him out -- someone who can take a short pass -- hitch, screen and take it to the house.  Ironically, somewhat like Atlanta did at times to us yesterday.

I value your opinion and realize your are much more knowledgeable than I but dont you think he could be the burner, I do, problem is that Reed and Doctson are not a threat. So no need to move coverage?

4 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

He's been hurt all year, people have been saying for weeks he doesn't look like he's running a 4.3, it is what it is.

Point is he wasn't expensive in today's market.

His injury is a shoulder so not sure that equates, but i've never played professional football with a shoulder separation.

9 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

These injuries were predictable.

Having to play musical chairs was somewhat preventable.

WTF did we sign WR Chesson to the active roster and not bring in an IOL?

WTF did we bring some LB named McKinzy to teh active roster last week and not some IOL?

WTF do we only have 2 UDFA rookie T on our practice squad but not a single IOL?

WTF didnt we sign Evan Boehm when he was cut ...

Im in the camp that these injuries = sub .500

Chesson was brought in because Crowder was out and Richardson questionable for weeks.  That dropped them down to 4 WRs and limited what guys like Harris and Quick would be able to do on teams

McKinzy was brought in because Ryan Anderson was hurt last week and we'd only have three OLB if he was out, but apparently his injury wasn't that bad

people on the PS frequently learn new positions

6 minutes ago, dcdiscokid said:

His injury is a shoulder so not sure that equates, but i've never played professional football with a shoulder separation.

He's been battling a knee injury all year, did you not know that?

Redskins' Paul Richardson: Avoids structural damage to knee

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/redskins-paul-richardson-avoids-structural-damage-to-knee/

2 minutes ago, dcdiscokid said:

I value your opinion and realize your are much more knowledgeable than I but dont you think he could be the burner, I do, problem is that Reed and Doctson are not a threat. So no need to move coverage?

Smith doesn't get the ball out on time,  and he's been off with his accuracy.   You can't expect YAC if a receiver has to break stride to catch the ball or contort his body to bring it in.   One of the Doctson drops,  he had to slide just to be in a position to haul it in.  I don't think any receiver with leverage in a trade is going to willingly sign up for that.  Nobody expects Alex to become a Brady/Rodgers hybrid in this offense,  but he's got to be able to make accurate, timely throws for it to be successful.  To date he hasn't shown that. 

1 minute ago, megared said:

Smith doesn't get the ball out on time,  and he's been off with his accuracy.   You can't expect YAC if a receiver has to break stride to catch the ball or contort his body to bring it in.   One of the Doctson drops,  he had to slide just to be in a position to haul it in.  I don't think any receiver with leverage in a trade is going to willingly sign up for that.  Nobody expects Alex to become a Brady/Rodgers hybrid in this offense,  but he's got to be able to make accurate, timely throws for it to be successful.  To date he hasn't shown that. 

But you didnt really answer question then, do you think Richardson can be a burner in offense? I realize Smith's struggles, but I also see Doctson dropping balls, and Reed not running them out. There is no real threat other than AP.

3 minutes ago, dcdiscokid said:

But you didnt really answer question then, do you think Richardson can be a burner in offense? I realize Smith's struggles, but I also see Doctson dropping balls, and Reed not running them out. There is no real threat other than AP.

I'll jump in and be honest and say I don't know.  I don't think he's a #1 but he's not being paid like a #1.  I think the FO hoped he would evolve into that but so far it not going so well.

He was brought here for his speed and we haven't really seen it all season because he's been constantly nicked up.

2 hours ago, dcdiscokid said:

He ran a 4.37 at the combine.

2 hours ago, dcdiscokid said:

Yes, thought it was in dallas game though, the reason he's getting surgery is for shoulder. Will never question some of you having more knowledge than myself..

You seem to think you know more then everyone here. Well, if you're so smart, why are you asking if Richardson can be a burner here?

27 minutes ago, RRiz said:

When Trent returns we should put him in at guard next to Ty. That would give us a very strong left side of the line and it somewhat minimize the loss of Brandon.

The issue is Christian is then your #1 tackle backup, which is scary with both Ty and Trent being very injury prone. I know they signed Austin Howard today but reports are the guy can't move anymore - would be scared to see him at LT

You know what though? At that point, you have 5 games left. You've gotta go for it and Nsekhe / Trent / Roullier / Cooper / Moses is a solid line

So the Skins sign:

Jonathan Cooper

Cooper was a first-round pick in 2013 for Arizona, but missed his rookie year with a broken leg and never developed into the player the Cardinals hoped he would be. He was traded to the Patriots in 2016, never played a game for them before landing in Cleveland as a waiver claim and started 13 games for the Cowboys last season. He failed to make the 49ers this summer. He'll be playing for the Skins this year?

This is the picture NBC Sports used in their announcement of the signing:

900101800-e1515786146413.jpg.6b4fea63b43e1efa4c79c9e8a29bd214.jpg

Sigh

7 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

The same reason the line here looked terrible under RG3 but good under Kirk, good QB's make offensive lines look better in pass pro.

Yeah . I get that and Alex has made our line look worse at times stepping into the pocket and having happy feet but that doesn’t explain why the Pats and other teams have replacements on deck that just step into their roles and make it work. 

Test will be. What me make of these replacements and how we move forward. Orherwise it’s coaching. 

1 hour ago, joeken24 said:

So the Skins sign:

Jonathan Cooper

Cooper was a first-round pick in 2013 for Arizona, but missed his rookie year with a broken leg and never developed into the player the Cardinals hoped he would be. He was traded to the Patriots in 2016, never played a game for them before landing in Cleveland as a waiver claim and started 13 games for the Cowboys last season. He failed to make the 49ers this summer. He'll be playing for the Skins this year?

This is the picture NBC Sports used in their announcement of the signing:

900101800-e1515786146413.jpg.6b4fea63b43e1efa4c79c9e8a29bd214.jpg

Sigh

Context is crucial here. He rated as a solid starter last year for the Cowboys and won the job away from Chaz Green. 

He was supposed to start for the 9ers this year but was dealing with a knee injury in preseason and just couldn't get enough reps to make the team. The guy is no Scherff but he is an upgrade over Lauvao

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Anyone still available from last year's patchwork O-Line ? Which actually didn't turn out so bad, considering we were in the race until the end.

Or from our preseason cuts ?

only the guys on the absolute bottom.  Orlando Franklin retired.  Kouandijo and Catalina are both on IR.  Kalis is a Brown.  Bergstrom made the team

Archived