Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Offensive Line Thread

KDawg

1 hour ago, glongest said:

We draft linemen every year.  They start the two/three year development cycle, never see the field unless there is an injury (ie never develope) and then get cut because we drafted the next 5th round pick.    So you end up with the Lavaua's of the world who literally probably has not played 16 total games in 3 season starting for your football team.   

I’m not talking about fifth and six rounders, they need to spend some serious resources on the offensive line.  

So basically our entire starting OLine, all 5 of them, are injured...one or more are out for the year.

Time for another Kyle Kalis career comeback.

And whoever else we had in camp, that hasn't been claimed.

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

It is time to rebuild our line. They are just too damn injury prone. So disappointing.

I don't think it's a coincidence like each of our starting 5 are unusually injury prone.

I don't think it's the players. It's gotta be something else in the organization...because the players aren't the only ones who are common denominators, in the past 2 seasons of crumbling OLinemen.

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

Good ones can. Atlanta lost both guards for the year. So did Minny.

Atlanta has?  Here’s a recent article about the Atlanta “injury curse” that doesn’t mention the O-Line at all.  I know they lost their center like 6 weeks ago.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/further-review/any-chance-falcons-defense-can-overcome-this-injury-curse/EpfhWCzQQxjqC8WYvuvbcM/

As far as the Vikings go, one of their “starting guards” has been on IR since early August.

Either way, neither situation is comparable to losing both starting Guards for the season in the same game in week 9.

1 hour ago, Kilmer17 said:

Year after year we’re among the worst in the nfl for games missed for injury. 

And everyone chalks it up to luck instead of pointing fingers at the coaches and training staff.  

Training staff doesn’t make up for training facilities, we have the worst in the league by far. Many colleges have better. Snyder doesn’t invest in property to build one. This has been known for years and years and nothing done to fix it

2 hours ago, CounterTrey said:

Typical for a Jay gruden team. He has the pansy ass Training Camp each year and every year by game 7-8 half our team in injured.

Coincidence...surely not.

I hate Jay Gruden and Allen.

It might be just me but i coulda sworn I was hearing from most people over the summer that this was the best or toughest training camp the team has had under Gruden. I didnt hear many complaints back in August about it.

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Atlanta has?  Here’s a recent article about the Atlanta “injury curse” that doesn’t mention the O-Line at all.  I know they lost their center like 6 weeks ago.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/further-review/any-chance-falcons-defense-can-overcome-this-injury-curse/EpfhWCzQQxjqC8WYvuvbcM/

As far as the Vikings go, one of their “starting guards” has been on IR since early August.

Either way, neither situation is comparable to losing both starting Guards for the season in the same game in week 9.

Both Andy Levitre and Brandon Fusco went down, and are gone for the year. Mack has been out 6 weeks (C) but is due back soon. So, Atlanta was missing both starting guards and C today.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/atl/2018.htm

Based on what reporters said about him in camp, what we saw from him in preseason, and then yesterday -- I think we got ourselves an Eric Flowers type epically bad tackle perhaps playing until Trent is back.  Does he improve don't know?  Saw a couple of draft geeks posting on twitter that they had Christian as a potential NFL flop from what they saw in college more or less saying he's not strong and can't anchor well versus bull rushes.   Does he transform next year?  Maybe.  But doesn't look like he has it even nearly together now.

Let’s be honest, if Moses has to miss time too (or Nskeke) you sign a tackle or two. Christian, while not completely lost from a developmental point, is not ready for the big time. We already aren’t a good downfield passing team, but with him in the game, we’ll never have the time to take shots and at least keep teams honest. 

Pretty sure Lavaou is done for the year; let’s hope and pray Scherff doesn’t have anything torn. 

What offensive line?

Quick passing FTW.

It seems like when the high profile players get injured, it always happens early in the games. Fantasy folks know what I am talking about. That was a real kick in the nuts having our OL getting injured early in the game.  Losing yesterday, was more than that big fat L.

Let's get the old band back together, Moe Eliwonibi, Keith Sims, Derrick Dockery, Rod Milstead and George Starke. I wonder if Christian will give up his number 74.

36 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Let's get the old band back together, Moe Eliwonibi, Keith Sims, Derrick Dockery, Rod Milstead and George Starke. I wonder if Christian will give up his number 74.

Those names had me looking at old OL over the years.  Apparently we had a guy named Joe Patton that started 50-something games over 4 years at G in the Norv years, and I promise I have no recollection of this guy.  Like, at all.  lol 

7 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Both Andy Levitre and Brandon Fusco went down, and are gone for the year. Mack has been out 6 weeks (C) but is due back soon. So, Atlanta was missing both starting guards and C today.

And they didnt just hold their own, they dominated.  Shameful on our part.  

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Based on what reporters said about him in camp, what we saw from him in preseason, and then yesterday -- I think we got ourselves an Eric Flowers type epically bad tackle perhaps playing until Trent is back.  Does he improve don't know?  Saw a couple of draft geeks posting on twitter that they had Christian as a potential NFL flop from what they saw in college more or less saying he's not strong and can't anchor well versus bull rushes.   Does he transform next year?  Maybe.  But doesn't look like he has it even nearly together now.

Sounds like Christian's 3rd rd pick status in the last draft has probably kept him around if he's been that bad at every level.  

12 minutes ago, justice98 said:

And they didnt just hold their own, they dominated.  Shameful on our part.  

Much like the Indy game then, right? They had a bunch of backup garbage on their OL, and still crushed. 

Guess it goes to show that inferior talent can certainly overcome superior talent, if the coaching and gameplan is superior? 

I'm surprised we don't carry more o-linemen on game day. I know you can't expect to lose three guys, but there isn't another position where guys get injured as frequently in my opinion. Guys are always getting rolled up on. We need to build depth at guard for sure.

7 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Levitre went down week 2.  Fusco went down week 7.  Factor in Trent and Moses and it’s a wholly different scenario.

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Saying other teams have injuries on oline and keep it moving doesn't do our situation justice.  Our backups are terrible and get hurt, too.

True. It's not just that either though.

There are no real offensive studs to make up the difference of these injuries. Guys like Matt Ryan can lose multiple OL, but he still has Julio to chuck it up to, and Julio alone makes things easier for the other targets. Big Ben has Antonio Brown in that same respect. Other QBs also have dynamic playmakers... and if they don't, they typically have years of absorption in the offense they're playing with. Other QBs are either elite or just young and special to this point, and some of them may very well fizzle out like Carr.

Just not seeing enough in Washington that a QB like Smith can do much with.. nowhere even close to what I see in other teams' QBs getting every single week. Is that an excuse for Smith? no. He's not playing well enough. He should have retired, if this was to be his effort level, and I'm sad that Washington made this decision. I'm just consistently surprised people expected him to carry the team.. when everyone already knew he's not a QB that carries a team. 

2 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Levitre went down week 2.  Fusco went down week 7.  Factor in Trent and Moses and it’s a wholly different scenario.

And Mack played against us I believe.  Or at least that’s what Charles Davis said (and it explains some of the issues we had in the middle).  

13 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

So what?

You stated that "no team that has injuries like this can survive". I'm showing you 2 examples of teams that have lost multiple OLmen, and are surviving. You never mentioned when the injuries happened has anything to do with it, they are still backups. In fact they have been playing with backups for LONGER.

That's going to make a bigger difference.

Archived