Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Offensive Line Thread

KDawg

Well we are suppose to have the best OL coach in football or one of the best.  he needs to prove it right here right now.  if he keeps it simple I think we can be ok with the guys we just signed.  You know adversity sometimes bring teams together, lets see how we show with the Bucs.  The key for us is the Defense, we need to do much better there.  

12 hours ago, dcdiscokid said:

But you didnt really answer question then, do you think Richardson can be a burner in offense? I realize Smith's struggles, but I also see Doctson dropping balls, and Reed not running them out. There is no real threat other than AP.

Nope, and at this point with who we have behind center, I don't think D-Jax could be a burner in this offense.  And obviously Richardson, nor Tate have ever been as good at it as Jackson is. 

To tie in this thread topic, even when everyone was healthy, what were the chances that our QB would drop back, not get flustered by the rush, and make an anticipatory (and accurate) throw that allows a WR to beat coverage?   Without even complaining about the lack of deep throws, if you're going to live throwing the ball between 0-20 yards, you have to give your guys a chance to turn it up field.  It doesn't matter who we have lined up at WR, they're depending on the ball being at least in their catch radius.  

Right now, I'm all for running 2 TE sets, since he seems to be able to get the ball on time to Davis and Reed.  And it could have the added benefit of allowing us to run the ball, provided Jay doesn't get cute with splitting them wide.

14 hours ago, carex said:

Chesson was brought in because Crowder was out and Richardson questionable for weeks.  That dropped them down to 4 WRs and limited what guys like Harris and Quick would be able to do on teams

McKinzy was brought in because Ryan Anderson was hurt last week and we'd only have three OLB if he was out, but apparently his injury wasn't that bad

people on the PS frequently learn new positions

Thanks for the info Carex, it explains the moves in their individual context.

10 hours ago, method man said:

Context is crucial here. He rated as a solid starter last year for the Cowboys and won the job away from Chaz Green. 

He was supposed to start for the 9ers this year but was dealing with a knee injury in preseason and just couldn't get enough reps to make the team. The guy is no Scherff but he is an upgrade over Lauvao

How do you know? You just mentioned him dealing with a knee injury. Sounds like a guy that has durability issues. That's the very thing that ails this team right now.

A couple points for me on this topic:

1.) We lost 2/5 starters on the O-line for the year.  While injuries are certainly part of the game I would submit this.  I think ATL came into this game looking to win in the trenches in ANYWAY they possibly could.  Grab, Hold, dirty plays, anyway they can win match ups and frustrate our players.  They knew it didn't really matter because our offense would score much any way.  So the game wouldn't get out of hand.  They absolutely meant to commit as much holding and OPI as possible.  Much to their surprise, the refs decided not to call holding against them.  This frustrated our players see Moses yelling at the ref.  Penalties like holding and going after O-lineman's knees are illegal for several reasons,  They give an unfair advantage to the person committing the foul and They can cause injuries.  Now we have a decimated O-line for the rest of the season.  Theres really no one to blame though as this seems to be a common occurrence for this team.  I still cant understand how the refs only saw some pretty weak holding calls on the Skins but couldnt see obvious holding calls and OPIs on ATL.  

2.) With Rollier(sp) at Center and some big bodies around him in the middle, I think we should be at the very least "ok"  Say what you want about Alex Smith, like him or not his protection has been spotty at best all season.  Im interested to see how things go and if we get some consistency here it will help Alex out a lot.  I would suggest bringing as many people in as possible.  

3.) Call me crazy but I heard Matt Ionniddis was preparing to come in at RG.   All im saying is that Iron Man Ionniddis has quite a ring to it.      

1 minute ago, NeverSurrender said:

ATL came into this game looking to win in the trenches in ANYWAY they possibly could.  Grab, Hold, dirty plays, anyway they can win match ups and frustrate our players.  They knew it didn't really matter because

You misst spelled ? the refs were going to let it all go while boosting ATL to the win. 

Yeah, said it. 

Some games are pushed so dramatically for a desired, end result. Who is going to contend it? the highly paid coach? or highly paid player? psshhhh.... 

slippery slope has gotten more moist each year. 

Next up. teh rasslin'!

200.webp?cid=3640f6095be1c97d6838665555a

32 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

You misst spelled ? the refs were going to let it all go while boosting ATL to the win. 

Yeah, said it. 

Some games are pushed so dramatically for a desired, end result. Who is going to contend it? the highly paid coach? or highly paid player? psshhhh.... 

Next up. teh rasslin'!

Not going to argue, i just still cant believe it was so blatant. 

7 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

Not going to argue, i just still cant believe it was so blatant. 

Hear that. The blatant, to me, is showing itself more and more as the seasons roll along. I don't live my life as the type to wear a foil hat... never did, never will. But the deeper I look at games.. some not all.. man.. Teams that are not "the chosen" have to work so much harder than the other to bring home the win. There are patterns to be found.. and I hate that.. cuz I love the game. Win or lose, it is unlovable if not a fair one, though. 

14 hours ago, joeken24 said:

So the Skins sign:

Jonathan Cooper

Cooper was a first-round pick in 2013 for Arizona, but missed his rookie year with a broken leg and never developed into the player the Cardinals hoped he would be. He was traded to the Patriots in 2016, never played a game for them before landing in Cleveland as a waiver claim and started 13 games for the Cowboys last season. He failed to make the 49ers this summer. He'll be playing for the Skins this year?

This is the picture NBC Sports used in their announcement of the signing:

900101800-e1515786146413.jpg.6b4fea63b43e1efa4c79c9e8a29bd214.jpg

Sigh

i actually like this signing. Yes Cooper gets hurt and has never made it through a full season. But he has played well when healthy and we only need him for 8 games this year. 

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

i actually like this signing. Yes Cooper gets hurt and has never made it through a full season. But he has played well when healthy and we only need him for 8 games this year. 

We'll see.

So I suppose we'll see Luke Bowanko and Jonathan Cooper at the guard positions with Austin Howard as the third T.

Austin may need a little work:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting Pro Bowlers. Hell, the fact the Lauvao was brought back says volumes about what's on the streets. So lets hope they come in and compete.

I think both OT (possibly even first round) and OG are both on the table in the draft next year, if they haven't been already. 

It's a real shame the FO didn't appropriately address this in the offseason and when they could.

13 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Understatement of the year.

What was that move ? A dance ?

I would think a fundamental of playing lineman, is that "spin moves" are for defensive linemen, and never for the offensive.

Oh man ... ugly!

26 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

We'll see.

So I suppose we'll see Luke Bowanko and Jonathan Cooper at the guard positions with Austin Howard as the third T.

Austin may need a little work:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting Pro Bowlers. Hell, the fact the Lauvao was brought back says volumes about what's on the streets. So lets hope they come in and compete.

That was all on the QB Needs to get rid of the ball faster :) ........sarcasm alert.

49 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Wonder why Jahri Evans wasn’t brought in...

Age/nothing left, high contract demands, no interest...

I have a question about another lineman named Evans

Tackle Justin Evans was released from the PS.

Timing is odd. We're in desperation mode at OL, and one would expect one of the first options is to pull a guy from the PS.

But instead of pulling a Tackle from PS, we release him. Yea, I get that they determined he wasn't fit to be a replacement, but

it seems weird that they're just now realizing he's not fit for the job, 8 games into the season, and at the exact same time that we

need him. It's just the timing they let him go, that struck me.

I mean, we should try to have guys on the PS that we know are fit to step up into position if needed.

And I realize part of the purpose for PS is for developmental players, but with such small roster limitations on the 53, and considering

how players in the NFL, especially Redskins, drop like flies during the season, we should really have guys on the PS, who can be a

reasonable replacement in the case of injury, instead of the other option - guys on the street who nobody wanted after 8 games, not even for their PS.

8 hours ago, Sandy Monk said:

Yeah, said it. 

Next up. teh rasslin'!

one of the highly  paid players contested it enough that he was penalized, Moses got a flag

Archived