Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Offensive Line Thread

KDawg

2 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Welp, this is what happens when you dont get any type of LG for the glaring hole in your offensive line.  Because then when your good offensive line players go down with injury, you are that much more decimated.  Lose a LT for a few weeks?  We at least have a capable backup.  Lose your RG for the season?  You could slide your next best guard in there.  But instead of that being someone the likes of Lauvau(who SHOULD have been at best the 3rd or 4th string guard), instead its now the guy even below him.  The starting offensive line looked decent outside of the glaring hole at LG, but the backup depths beyong Nseke was always terrible.

Every able-bodied free agent LG shoulda been passing through here in the lead up to the season.  

The idea that they'd double down on often injured Lauvao and add no depth to the interior line in FA or the draft and it looks like they potentially wiffed on the Christian pick -- I'll just say this if the O line undoes the season like it did last season -- they made their bed on it and earned every bit of the misery.

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The idea that they'd double down on often injured Lauvao and add no depth to the interior line in FA or the draft and it looks like they potentially wiffed on the Christian pick -- I'll just say this if the O line undoes the season like it did last season -- they made their bed on it and earned every bit of the misery. 

Way too early to give up on Christian.  We knew he needed to redshirt.  He's got the traits to play tackle.  Developing him will take time.

Honestly, it might not be the worst thing in the world to throw him out there on a patchwork line and let him learn with live bullets.  Everyone will be so ****ty that he can't be the only one blamed for breakdowns.  In game reps could probably help him.

I’m so beat up from this loss even though I kind of expected a loss. I just didn’t think we would lose out whole o line. I almost wanted Matty I to play gaurd because I think he would of improved from what we had out there.

I personally think this all goes the GM. We should of had more   o line help in here and ay back when these problems were evident to everyone else. I’m not saying go out like the Giants and spend big money but something. 

How the hell do the Pats replace there lineman every year and make it work?

I’m in wait and see mode. If we flop the rest of the year because of this. Someone needs fired.

The list of available FA as of right now for the entire OL position:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2018/all/offensive-line/

The availables ones are at the end of the list. A few notables names worth a look I believe, considering our situation.

Still, I believe there must be some heat going at Redskins Park right now between Jay and everyone in the FO for not giving him his players during last offseason...

19 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Way too early to give up on Christian.  We knew he needed to redshirt.  He's got the traits to play tackle.  Developing him will take time.

Honestly, it might not be the worst thing in the world to throw him out there on a patchwork line and let him learn with live bullets.  Everyone will be so ****ty that he can't be the only one blamed for breakdowns.  In game reps could probably help him.

I agree. This isn't the time to play safe. I don't see the point. Get out there and learn to play the game in the heat of the battle.

23 minutes ago, bh32 said:

It's time to move on from Lauvao, Moses..they are constantly hurt. Seems like every time a play is over Moses is being attended to on the field .

Not only is he always hurt but he's not good, he isn't terrible but he's average at best.

It's even worse that this happened after the trade deadline. It would have helped to deal a pick to try and salvage the season.

Just think of what the Texans front seven will do to the likes of what we're now working with. It's great to have Ty to supplement T and when Trent comes back, maybe we could do something like Trent, Ty, Roulier, Moses, Christian. I dunno, I'm just spitballing because it is not ideal to have either of those T playing guard but we need to try and field our best crop with the best that what we have.

Hopefully, this Howard guy can come in and be stable but he looks like a slow-footed load from what I've seen. I also read that he is not even perhaps an NFL talent anymore. I guess they brought him in to be a RG so maybe the rotation could for now, Ty-Roulier (didn't they switch Bergstrom to C or am I mistaken)-Bergstrom-Howard-Moses

This season turned into a mess on offense. We lost Guice, Scherff, Lauvou, Richardson to IR. Crowder, Thompson, now Trent to month long injuries on an already less than impressive offensive roster.

Sell. the. team. Dan

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I haven't given up on him but he doesn't look ready right now.  As for him learning with live bullets, if this is a win now season as some beat guys purport for Jay and and Bruce as to keeping their jobs -- not sure if they'd risk it unless they have to.  And maybe they do have to.  Will see.

32 minutes ago, MondayNightCowboyKilla89 said:

Hopefully, this Howard guy can come in and be stable but he looks like a slow-footed load from what I've seen. I also read that he is not even perhaps an NFL talent anymore. I guess they brought him in to be a RG so maybe the rotation could for now, Ty-Roulier (didn't they switch Bergstrom to C or am I mistaken)-Bergstrom-Howard-Moses

I'm pretty sure that Bergstrom played LG and Chase stayed at center. They did try it the other way around before Lauvao came back, but it wasn't good.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I haven't given up on him but he doesn't look ready right now.  As for him learning with live bullets, if this is a win now season as some beat guys purport for Jay and and Bruce as to keeping their jobs -- not sure if they'd risk it unless they have to.  And maybe they do have to.  Will see.

So a 3rd round pick is supposed to come off the bench and be an anchor on the offensive line during his first real NFL experience? I don't know what else to say

Archived