Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Offensive Line Thread

KDawg

53 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah that's exactly what I said, I expected him to come off the bench and become the anchor of the O line. ?

They already have Ty on their roster, drafted Christian. If every NFL team had to account for 3 starters on the OL being injured and missing significant playing time every year there would be a special OL draft each new calendar year LOL

and forgive me if I don't quote your exact post which my argument is against. I'm pretty sure you understand the jest

39 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Not bad, Satan... Not bad

I'm laughing so hard right now, why didn't we do this in March or April?  3 guys in one day but we brought Lauvao back?  I just want to helicopter punch so many people in that front office right now.

Bowanko seems like he brings versatility, being able to play all 3 interior line positions and he also blocks on special teams. 

20 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Time to lock up Scherff long term RIGHT NOW! Hate to use the injury to save some bucks and cap space. But it is what it is. A season ender brings his value down a little bit. Take advantage of it.

He has to go along with it. I don't see his value taking a hit.  A pro bowl guard in his prime is still gonna command some coin. A torn pec wont impact much value-wise.

13 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm laughing so hard right now, why didn't we do this in March or April?  3 guys in one day but we brought Lauvao back?  I just want to helicopter punch so many people in that front office right now.

I'm only laughing because it's so utterly absurd ?.

How in Johnny blazes do 3 people go on the shelf in 60 minutes? I'm pretty certain your have better odds of less severe injury being caught up in a tornado. Or 3 guys running from grizzlies in a big obstacle course...

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Way too early to give up on Christian.  We knew he needed to redshirt.  He's got the traits to play tackle.  Developing him will take time.

Honestly, it might not be the worst thing in the world to throw him out there on a patchwork line and let him learn with live bullets.  Everyone will be so ****ty that he can't be the only one blamed for breakdowns.  In game reps could probably help him.

Depends, he was holding people so much I thought he wanted to dance or something.  One play, its like that was the plan instead of blocking, saw the replay.  I wouldn't put him out there unless we have to unless he can help more then hurt.  Preseason practice reps is something you do in August or when you are eliminated from the playoffs.

I don't even want to get into my feelins on that pick, said my piece in April, what's done is done, we have no choice but to try to make the most of it.

14 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Bowanko seems like he brings versatility, being able to play all 3 interior line positions and he also blocks on special teams. 

He has to go along with it. I don't see his value taking a hit.  A pro bowl guard in his prime is still gonna command some coin. A torn pec wont impact much value-wise.

He sure does. But why wouldnt he? He is layed up for the rest of the year. Nothing is guaranteed about rehab. I would bet he takes a fair deal right now.

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I'm only laughing because it's so utterly absurd ?.

How in Johnny blazes do 3 people go on the shelf in 60 minutes? I'm pretty certain your have better odds of less severe injury being caught up in a tornado. Or 3 guys running from grizzlies in a big obstacle course...

I don't even remember Richardson getting hurt, man, that's what really dropped my jaw when I saw and posted the tweet.  Its like football gods didn't want to be too obvious in the "told you so department" with the oline, so they ripped one of our WR's arm, too.  Did they even talk about it during the game?  They couldn't stop talking about the linemen going down, how could you? Lauvao's first two plays was everything everyone kept talking about with him condensed into two plays.  First play I laughed, second one I knew he was done for the year before they even said it.

I'm going to keep saying it until I'm blue in the face, this front office accumulates too many players that either have injury problems or could lead to injury problems without any resources devoted to seriously preventing injuries.  When I first saw we signed Richardson, I was like "well, he's not going over the middle".  That's why this doesnt shock me, 3 in one day doesnt shock me, many of these players were going down inevitably if they weren't already down.  We'd been screaming about it all offseason.

I wouldn't re-sign CT.

1 hour ago, CutPryorNow said:

They already have Ty on their roster, drafted Christian. If every NFL team had to account for 3 starters on the OL being injured and missing significant playing time every year there would be a special OL draft every new calendar year LOL

and forgive me if I don't quote your exact post which my argument is against. I'm pretty sure you understand the jest

My post didn't even come close to implying your point let alone the idea that you didn't quote my exact post.  My point also said nothing about having to account for 3 starters on the O line being injured so that's you beating on your own drum to your own point -- that has nothing to do with mine.

My point was for a team to have depth problems with their interior O line last year where their LG was a weakness.  They did really nothing to address it other than riding the status quo or you can argue depth wise they got weaker by letting Long go. 

No 20/20 hindsight on this.  This was by a mile the thing that people on the FA thread (including me) and just about every beat guy who covers this team questioned about the off season.   

As for Christian, all I was saying there and I posted it on a thread was the coaches weren't in love with him this summer.  And he's not a guard which is where the depth IMO is questionable.  

As for whether Christian is the man or not.  It's not central to my point.  But the idea that coaches haven't loved what they've seen from him, I've heard Hoffman among others talk about it,   And he's struggled both in the preseason and yesterday.  Does that mean he's the man or not that man?  You got me.  But it sounds like its not insane to think he might not help them this season.  And depth has now become relevant this season,  Listening to Jay an hour ago, it doesn't sound like Christian is headed back to the lineup but will stay a back up.  

21 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I don't even remember Richardson getting hurt, man, that's what really dropped my jaw when I saw and posted the tweet.  Its like football gods didn't want to be too obvious in the "told you so department" with the oline, so they ripped one of our WR's arm, too.  Did they even talk about it during the game?  They couldn't stop talking about the linemen going down, how could you? Lauvao's first two plays was everything everyone kept talking about with him condensed into two plays.  First play I laughed, second one I knew he was done for the year before they even said it.

I'm going to keep saying it until I'm blue in the face, this front office accumulates too many players that either have injury problems or could lead to injury problems without any resources devoted to seriously preventing injuries.  When I first saw we signed Richardson, I was like "well, he's not going over the middle".  That's why this does shock me, 3 in one day does shock me, many of these players were going down inevitably if they weren't already down.  We'd been screaming about it all offseason.

I wouldn't re-sign CT.

Apparently he's been dealing with it since start of season and cant deal with pain any longer...

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My post didn't even come close to implying your point let alone the idea that you didn't quote my exact post.  My point also said nothing about having to account for 3 starters on the O line being injured so that's you beating on your own drum to your own point -- that has nothing to do with mine.

My point was for a team to have depth problems with their interior O line last year where their LG was a weakness.  They did really nothing to address it other than riding the status quo or you can argue depth wise they got weaker by letting Long go. 

No 20/20 hindsight on this.  This was by a mile the thing that people on the FA thread (including me) and just about every beat guy who covers this team questioned about the off season.   

As for Christian, all I was saying there and I posted it on a thread was the coaches weren't in love with him this summer.  And he's not a guard which is where the depth IMO is questionable.  

As for whether Christian is the man or not.  It's not central to my point.  But the idea that coaches haven't loved what they've seen from him, I've heard Hoffman among others talk about it,   And he's struggled both in the preseason and yesterday.  Does that mean he's the man or not that man?  You got me.  But it sounds like its not insane to think he might not help them this season.  And depth has now become relevant this season,  Listening to Jay an hour ago, it doesn't sound like Christian is headed back to the lineup but will stay a back up.  

Bravo bravo

7 minutes ago, dcdiscokid said:

Apparently he's been dealing with it since start of season and cant deal with pain any longer...

Gotcha. Was looking around, that makes sense.  Dude reminds me of a Todd Pinkston frame, and not in a good way.  I won't question his toughness, jus when I first saw him, my concern was his weight. He looks too small to be getting banged on repeatedly. 

5 hours ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Are we on borrowed time with the great Trent Williams ? He's what 30 , 8th season 6 x pro bowler, does he really owe us anymore than he has given ? When do we realistically have to draft another Left Tackle ?

I think we should try for a guy next year.  Someone who could play LG till Trent retires and then shift out

Looked up PFF scores from last year

J. Cooper

Total:  68.6   pass blocking 64.6.  run blocking 66.1 

Luke Bowanko

Total:  56.2  pass blocking 48.7  run blocking: 62.8

Austin Howard

Total: 66.4  pass blocking 65.5 run blocking:  62.3

PFf isn't the be all and end all but for what its worth those are the scores.  I read some criticism that Howard has lost a step.  He's going to be 32 soon.  Lauvao had a 54 score.  53.2 in pass blocking.  55.6 in run blocking.  Cooper, former first round pick, might have some potential. 

We haven't really talked about the 3 new guys yet in this thread. The one that excites me the most is Jon Cooper. From what I'm reading, he was supposed to start at guard for the Niners this season but a knee injury in the preseason derailed that for him. Howard and Bowanko appear to be stiffs - I'd actively be looking at other teams' practice squads the next couple weeks to see if I can upgrade

7 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Paul Richardson was an huge injury risk since the day we signed him. Was not a big fan of the signing although we did need someone I guess.

I liked it but it was obviously a huge risk, and expensive. Will probably cut loose of him after 2019, unless he explodes into goodness.. which is pretty LOLz at this point. 

7 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

I liked it but it was obviously a huge risk, and expensive. Will probably cut loose of him after 2019, unless he explodes into goodness.. which is pretty LOLz at this point. 

With the cap going up expediently each year it wont be a bad contract, he's a decent receiver just not a guy we can rely on in middle of field to get anything. And outside we need more than one dangerous receiver, he would get his if the other actually caught the damn ball.

1 minute ago, dcdiscokid said:

With the cap going up expediently each year it wont be a bad contract, he's a decent receiver just not a guy we can rely on in middle of field to get anything. And outside we need more than one dangerous receiver, he would get his if the other actually caught the damn ball.

Something to definitely revisit after the 2019 season. Would be great if he's worth keeping at that point. Can not wait to see Guice next season. :) 

21 hours ago, Genghis Khan said:

With Brandon’s injury not sure how you can blame the coaching staff when he took a cheap shot. I blame the front offense for not drafting multiple offensive lineman when the year before we lost so many players. 

What happened?  I remember seeing Reed being pissed and yelling at the ref while Brandon was on the ground.

Scherff was hurt in the Philly game last year on a cheap shot.

Archived